feeding on demand?
two months old.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 José

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

My baby is fed breast milk only. I feed him on demand and have no problem with doing so- although I want to do whatever is best for bub.  the child health nurse SaId I should feed every 3 hours and not more often. I'm probably feeding more often than that  DS is at the 90th percentile for weight and length so I wonder if maybe he needs more feeds than the average baby? Surely I'm not the only person breastfeeding their two month old on demand??

#2 Clever Clogs

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

What you are doing is fine original.gif

#3 B.feral3

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

The child health nurse is a moron. My goodness, every 3 hours in the summer. I can't go that long without a drink!!

#4 tick

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Health nurses really do say the darnedest things sometimes.  

At 2 months my baby fed every 1-2 hours.  My health nurse said something similar and I ignored it.  Keep up the good work!

#5 Etienne

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

At that age I was breastfeeding my DD whenever she wanted!  She was in the 97th percentile.. still is I reckon original.gif

Do what is right for you and your baby and you can't go wrong.

Edited by ~ Lucy's Mum ~, 05 December 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#6 Goggie

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Agree that what you're doing is perfectly fine. I try and stretch out feeds for my 3.5 month old to 2.5-3 hours but not always successful, I mean if he's screaming I'm not going to make him wait! And in the evening before bed he might feed two or three times in an hour or two. On demand is on demand.
Take what the MCHN says with a grain of salt.

Edited by bluewondersuit, 05 December 2012 - 08:16 PM.

#7 WinterIsComing

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

Your nurse is an idiot. Give the child the drink and food when his instincts tell him he needs them.
ETA - my son is also a big boy and he fed every 1-2 hours sometimes, too, when he was so little!

Edited by WinterIsComing, 05 December 2012 - 08:13 PM.

#8 MintyBiscuit

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

From 3 weeks until about five months DS fed pretty much every two hours. Go with whatever works for you guys.

#9 Waiting4No.2

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Go with what you feel is right for your baby. I remember I must have fed my son every 30mins in the evening before bed when he was that age.

I read an article about a midwife pushing her opinion on a new mum.

Good luck. Its a lovely age original.gif

Edited by Waiting4No.2, 05 December 2012 - 08:16 PM.

#10 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

You're being led by your baby and feeding as frequently as they need and want- perfect! Well done on doing a great job and ignore the nurse- she's wrong.

#11 follies

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

Remember that in Summer you need to drink more water just as your baby needs more milk.

For a while you are going to feel like your baby is permanently attached to your chest however it is not forever. I tried to stretch out feeds and it just didn't work, it can also affect supply.

Your doing fine and just keep on going.

#12 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (Waiting4No.2 @ 05/12/2012, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Go with what you feel is right for your baby. I remember I must have fed my son every 30mins in the evening before bed when he was that age.

I read an article about a midwife pushing her opinion on a new mum.

Good luck. Its a lovely age original.gif

No offence, but that 'article' is poor.

#13 follies

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (Swahili @ 05/12/2012, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No offence, but that 'article' is poor.

Agreed, and the points in the "pros" for formula feeding were all misconceptions.

#14 Ice Queen

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

OP, you sound like you are doing a great job.
My DD fed every 3 hours to the minute.  My DS would have parked himself there all day if he could have.  I fed him at least every 2 hours during the day.

All babies are different.  At this young age just go with keeps them happy. And you happy of course. biggrin.gif

I just read that article.....ummmm....why are you posting a link to this for a new mum?  What a shocking article with minimal relevence to the OP.

Edited by Ehill, 05 December 2012 - 08:46 PM.

#15 Spring Chickadee

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

The advice from our hospital class, the midwife,the lactation consultant, the ABA counsellor is all yo demand feed. Sometimes my one month old needs to be cluster feed, that could mean 4 feeds only 30mins apart. Sometimes he'll sleep for 5 hours and Go that stretch without it. I rarely go long without at least a drink. If he is hungry I'm not going to make him suffer.

#16 StopTheGoats

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

At some point your baby will find their natural pattern and go longer between feeds. They'll probably even start to develop a daily pattern. Don't ignore these cues. Listen to your baby.

#17 José

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Thanks everyone. It certainly seems cruel to me to make a crying hungry baby wait for a feed. I don't know why I question myself so much when it comes to parenting. I'll continue to listen to the health nurse but won't follow everything she says to the letter.

#18 Lorem ipsum

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

So glad to read this topic

My ds is 9 weeks and feeding 1.5 - 2  hourly. My MCHN said similar to yours,  but if he is hungry he is hungry.

I'm also going to ignore what she said about his sleep pattern.

You sound like you are doing a great job OP

#19 lucky 2

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

If baby is feeding frequently enough for a health professional to comment I think it could be worth checking a few things.
Bfing can be assessed as going well when baby is thriving and mum has healthy nipples and breasts.
The definition of bfing going well/successful does not include a specific number of feeds per 24 hours (not that I know of anyway).
If you are feeding frequently and all is well with baby and breasts then this is fine and if not broke it doesn't have to be fixed.
But if you are feeding frequently and your breasts are uncomfortable with blocked ducts and/or mastitis or you have nipple damage then something is NQR with bfing.
The management of the problem though wouldn't be to tell the mother to feed less, it would be find out why bfing is causing these breast problems and to work out how to improve feeding so the breasts can remain healthy and comfortable.
If it aint broke it doesn't need fixing.
That doesn't mean you can't tweak the frequency of feeds but there is no guarantee that your baby will be agreeable or that it is a wise thing to do.

#20 Loz07

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

hi, OP I have also seen your post about DS not sleeping very well, so my only comment would be to make sure he is getting a full feed, not just snacking. This may mean re-offering the boob a couple of times. It may be that if he has a bigger fed, he may naturally go a bit longer.
Otherwise I agree, do what feels right for you - if your baby is hungry/screaming, feed them (the nurse isn't there at 3 am!!!)
FWIW, my 16 wo feeds 2.5 - 4 hourly during the day, plus a cluster feed in the evening

#21 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

The nurse is not necessarily an idiot.  Maybe she picked up on something with the OP that suggested she was feeling overwhelmed with being constantly attached.  

Maybe not.  But that's how I felt before the nurse told me it was ok to start stretching out feeds with a bit of gentle distraction and get into a loose routine, so that other people were able to give me an hour or so off without the fear that he would be screaming for a feed within 20 minutes.  

It was a little later (4 months) and I think 2 months might be a little early but it's a reasonable option down the track as long as the baby is well and gaining weight OK.

#22 Romybaby

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:21 AM

The worst advice I received was from midwives, parenting hotlines, paediatricians and my early childhood learning centre. It is hard to do this when you are a new parent and you lack confidence but GO WITH YOUR INSTINCTS! I was lucky to have a sister who kept repeating this to me when I felt vulnerable and anxious that my baby was different from the others.
My son fed hourly at that age day and night. Somewhere around 4months he became less interested during the day, maybe every 2 hours. He kept up his hourly night feeds. Everyone told me to stretch him out but he would become so distressed. He was a big roly poly baby then started to lose it around 6 months. At 22 months he still feeds constantly, many times during the night, and is trim, happy and full of beans.
It is important that you demand feed in the first few months as it regulars your milk supply. There will be days when your child is going through milestones where they may resort back to hourly feeding again. Don't worry. I was a baby that was fed like clockwork and suited a routine. My son isn't and found no hint of a sleep routine until 9 months. He has always been demand fed and still is. When I come home from work he runs towards me yelling 'beeeee' and dives on for a drink and cuddle. I suspect a big part of me being able to breast feed without pumping whilst working 3 days is because I feed on demand. On a day off after working 3 days straight, my son will be on me constantly wanting a drink and cuddles, he encourages the supply which drops from mon -wed, by Friday we are back on track. Now it doesn't matter if I work or not, I still have milk when he wants it.
Your baby is the only one who can say if he is hungry. Who is anyone else to decide? Just listen to your child.
Hope that helps! Have faith in yourself as you know what's best.

#23 sophiasmum

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Sorry but I was one who did feed to a schedule, although cluster fed in the evening if unsettled. I found any more frequently than 3 hrly played havoc with their reflux.

#24 Leafprincess

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

huh.gif Strange advice, i was told to feed on demand by all the nurses and the pead when i was in hospital.

I'm new to this as I have a 4week old who I feed on demand.

Like clockwork it's every two hours.
I'm lucky to get a three hour block between 4-7am for my "sleep in"

I can't imagine not feeding him when he wants to be fed.

Did she give you any clues as to How would you make a baby wait?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly caf goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.