Deep cleaning your toilet

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Babby and Roo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

My toilet smells. I clean it about once a week. I know, I'm slack. It looks clean though, and it doesn't usually smell. The smell is like old urine but I have wiped it and can't see any urine anywhere.

I have heard mention of EBers "deep cleaning" their toilets. I think mine needs a good deep clean.

I was hoping some toilet cleaning gurus might be able to give me some instruction on how to deep clean a toilet. Products I might need, etc.

#2 ednaboo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

You have to take the seat off.  You then soak it in a trough filled with hot water and disinfectant (some use bleach, I just use disinfectant).  You will probably find heaps of grunge that has solidified  under the toilet seat.  Clean that off with whatever it takes - some jif, hot water and a scrubbing brush etc.  You will be surprised what is under there!

#3 LifesGood

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

First try washing your floor with strong disinfectant - the wee smell can be from drips/splashes on the floor.

#4 Paddlepop

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

roll2.gif I deep cleaned my toilet last week when we were cleaning for a rental inspection. I thought of EB while I did it!

It is as simple as undo the screw thingies holding the toilet seat onto the toilet bowl, and clean any muck that has accumulated under the seat. I scrubbed the toilet seat with Jif and it came up nice and clean but it wasn't too bad. I did it about 4.5yrs ago when I put a nicer toilet seat on the toilet and removed the horrible one that comes with the rental property. The only people who use our toilet are myself and DH who is very well trained about being neat and aiming properly.

DD (2yo) looked at me like I was nuts when I was removing the toilet seat. I think that she thought I had gone mad. She was much happier when she saw me reattach it and the toilet was back to normal.

ETA Wipe over the outside of the toilet bowl in case there have been any dribbles going down the outside of the bowl.

Edited by Paddlepop, 05 December 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Paddlepop @ 05/12/2012, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
roll2.gif I deep cleaned my toilet last week when we were cleaning for a rental inspection. I thought of EB while I did it!

I did mine a few weeks ago and I also thought of EB while I did it!

Our loo is in an alcove in the bathroom which is tiled to waist high. I mopped the wall tiles this week as well as the floor because I just couldn't get rid of the public loo smell.

#6 melaine

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (LifesGood @ 05/12/2012, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First try washing your floor with strong disinfectant - the wee smell can be from drips/splashes on the floor.

Or in my toilet the walls and doors.!! Bleurgh. Mr 3 forgets to point it down half the time.... sad.gif

#7 erindiv

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

How do you take the seat off? Mine has these weird metal plates... I'll try to find a photo online of a similar one.

edit: http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/TOILETSEAT2.jpg like this. How do you take that off?

Edited by erindiv, 05 December 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#8 jayskette

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

stuff solidified under the toilet seat?!?!?!?!

Perhaps EB's idea of deep clean is my idea of a routine clean  unsure.gif

#9 LifesGood

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (jayskette @ 05/12/2012, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

roll2.gif

#10 Unatheowl

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

I admit this is my thought too.  Wouldn't you just see this when you lift up,the lid?  unsure.gif

Do you mean there is stuff under where the seat attaches to the bowl?

#11 Soontobegran

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

I agree with the fact that the smell will often be from around the toilet and not just in it.

#12 Paddlepop

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (Unatheowl @ 05/12/2012, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes.

#13 MrsShine

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

Definitely clean tiles on wall behind and around toilet as well as floors, recently I Bought a new toilet brush too - so gross, I'm forever buying new ones!

Hate, hate, hate wee smell!

#14 Babby and Roo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

Thank you! I don;t think taking the seat off would make any difference as it is the kind of seat that you can clean under anyway, even when attached. The hinges allow a cloth to fit underneath.

But cleaning the tiles around is a good idea. I thnk I'll give the whole area a good scrub and fingers crossed the smell will be gone. So gross!

#15 lozoodle

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

Yeah im with you.

Do people really not clean outside of bowl, under seat, under rim in bowl, around floor and wall behind?! It takes 2 minutes people! If your toilet stinks of wee that may be a sign you arent doing it right lol

I just thought that was normal cleaning? Anything less is a between clean wipe down IMO. I can let lots of things slide but bathroom and kitchen hygeine is up there on the priority list sick.gif

Edited by lozoodle, 06 December 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#16 CharliMarley

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Buy a can of Eucalyptus Spray - the greatest smell for the toilet ever. eexcite.gif

#17 librablonde

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Yep, we have a septic system so use eucalyptus oil and vinegar. Vinegar neutralises the wee smell. I let vinegar soak into our lino floor around the toilet for 10mins+. Then also spray the toilet seat all over with vinegar and eucalyptus oil, let it sit a few mins. Then wipe the whole lot down with old rags/ old cut up towels and  the toilet will be squeaky clean.

#18 Babby and Roo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (librablonde @ 06/12/2012, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, we have a septic system so use eucalyptus oil and vinegar. Vinegar neutralises the wee smell. I let vinegar soak into our lino floor around the toilet for 10mins+. Then also spray the toilet seat all over with vinegar and eucalyptus oil, let it sit a few mins. Then wipe the whole lot down with old rags/ old cut up towels and  the toilet will be squeaky clean.

do you use straight vinegar or a vinegar/water mix? And what about the eucalyptus oil?

I clean the toilet with a 50/50 white vinegar/water mix, but I must admit I'm a pretty slack cleaner and usually just clean the toilet all over, the outside of the bowl sometimes, and the floor around almost never. Mainly because the toilet is right in the corner and squeezed up next to the sink so it is difficult to reach.

Point taken lozoodle!

#19 FeralEsme

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

If you have a tiled floor in the toilet wee can also get into the grout and cause a smell. Bleach, and lots of it, deals with this.

#20 Velvetta

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (~*Twilight~Zone*~ @ 06/12/2012, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've actually found that flushing with the seat down has reduced the amount of wee that gets under the seat. I prefer prevention to hard work.

People don't flush with the lid down? yuk

Edited by Velvetta, 06 December 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#21 NineFeralYears

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

Do people really not clean outside of bowl, under seat, under rim in bowl, around floor and wall behind?! It takes 2 minutes people! If your toilet stinks of wee that may be a sign you arent doing it right lol

I think by 'under the seat' they mean the part where the seat attatches to the toilet.  On many toilets, you can't actually clean there without unscrewing the seat completely.  Then you have to scrub down the screws because the wee gets into the thread and find something small enough to clean the inside of the hole that the screw goes into.  When you factor in unscrewing the lid and screwing it back on, which can be very fiddly work in a small bathroom with limited access to the side of the toilet, it definitely takes more than two minutes before you even start on the 'usual stuff' - the inside and outside of the bowl, lid/seat, floor etc.

It definitely wasn't part of my normal clean before I had kids because it simply didn't get dirty under there back then.  It takes very special misuse of the toilet to make that region grubby enough to need cleaning weekly!

And it has nothing to do with closing the lid to flush, and everything to do with little boys p*ssing all over the back of the toilet in their sleep.

Sigh.

Edited by Sevenyears, 06 December 2012 - 08:00 PM.

#22 Jupiter

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

EB taught me about The Plume. unsure.gif

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/other-sh...oilet-flush.htm

#23 ednaboo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (Unatheowl @ 05/12/2012, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I admit this is my thought too.  Wouldn't you just see this when you lift up,the lid?  unsure.gif

Yes, there is stuff under there!  Wee gets under there when little boys use the loo, the water evaporates off and you are left with a yellowish grunge.  I had never heard of the deep clean til EB either, and when I investigated I was horrified!  Seriously, don't knock it until you've tried it!

#24 mandarins

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

The loo at my place stinks too - little boys in my house also. I may have to try this 'deep cleansing' thingy. Not looking forward to it but I hate using the bathroom too. I bleach and in a day it smells again!

Also, people do need to wash the walls, bath, shower and doors etc around toilet. I notice at some peoples houses when you use the loo they seem to have not noticed the pee gets there too!!

#25 aidensmum

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

Im guessing those who have not experienced the solidified wee under the bolted down part of the lid have girls.  My husband misses so badly he sits down to pee so he's no problem. My youngest had a bizarre technique where he'd squat with his feet on the actual toilet seat and peeing in mid air and missing badly.  Drove me nuts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.