Deep cleaning your toilet

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Babby and Roo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

My toilet smells. I clean it about once a week. I know, I'm slack. It looks clean though, and it doesn't usually smell. The smell is like old urine but I have wiped it and can't see any urine anywhere.

I have heard mention of EBers "deep cleaning" their toilets. I think mine needs a good deep clean.

I was hoping some toilet cleaning gurus might be able to give me some instruction on how to deep clean a toilet. Products I might need, etc.

#2 ednaboo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

You have to take the seat off.  You then soak it in a trough filled with hot water and disinfectant (some use bleach, I just use disinfectant).  You will probably find heaps of grunge that has solidified  under the toilet seat.  Clean that off with whatever it takes - some jif, hot water and a scrubbing brush etc.  You will be surprised what is under there!

#3 LifesGood

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

First try washing your floor with strong disinfectant - the wee smell can be from drips/splashes on the floor.

#4 Paddlepop

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

roll2.gif I deep cleaned my toilet last week when we were cleaning for a rental inspection. I thought of EB while I did it!

It is as simple as undo the screw thingies holding the toilet seat onto the toilet bowl, and clean any muck that has accumulated under the seat. I scrubbed the toilet seat with Jif and it came up nice and clean but it wasn't too bad. I did it about 4.5yrs ago when I put a nicer toilet seat on the toilet and removed the horrible one that comes with the rental property. The only people who use our toilet are myself and DH who is very well trained about being neat and aiming properly.

DD (2yo) looked at me like I was nuts when I was removing the toilet seat. I think that she thought I had gone mad. She was much happier when she saw me reattach it and the toilet was back to normal.

ETA Wipe over the outside of the toilet bowl in case there have been any dribbles going down the outside of the bowl.

Edited by Paddlepop, 05 December 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Paddlepop @ 05/12/2012, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
roll2.gif I deep cleaned my toilet last week when we were cleaning for a rental inspection. I thought of EB while I did it!

I did mine a few weeks ago and I also thought of EB while I did it!

Our loo is in an alcove in the bathroom which is tiled to waist high. I mopped the wall tiles this week as well as the floor because I just couldn't get rid of the public loo smell.

#6 melaine

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (LifesGood @ 05/12/2012, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First try washing your floor with strong disinfectant - the wee smell can be from drips/splashes on the floor.

Or in my toilet the walls and doors.!! Bleurgh. Mr 3 forgets to point it down half the time.... sad.gif

#7 erindiv

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

How do you take the seat off? Mine has these weird metal plates... I'll try to find a photo online of a similar one.

edit: http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/TOILETSEAT2.jpg like this. How do you take that off?

Edited by erindiv, 05 December 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#8 jayskette

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

stuff solidified under the toilet seat?!?!?!?!

Perhaps EB's idea of deep clean is my idea of a routine clean  unsure.gif

#9 LifesGood

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (jayskette @ 05/12/2012, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

roll2.gif

#10 Unatheowl

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

I admit this is my thought too.  Wouldn't you just see this when you lift up,the lid?  unsure.gif

Do you mean there is stuff under where the seat attaches to the bowl?

#11 Soontobegran

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

I agree with the fact that the smell will often be from around the toilet and not just in it.

#12 Paddlepop

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (Unatheowl @ 05/12/2012, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes.

#13 MrsShine

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

Definitely clean tiles on wall behind and around toilet as well as floors, recently I Bought a new toilet brush too - so gross, I'm forever buying new ones!

Hate, hate, hate wee smell!

#14 Babby and Roo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

Thank you! I don;t think taking the seat off would make any difference as it is the kind of seat that you can clean under anyway, even when attached. The hinges allow a cloth to fit underneath.

But cleaning the tiles around is a good idea. I thnk I'll give the whole area a good scrub and fingers crossed the smell will be gone. So gross!

#15 lozoodle

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

Yeah im with you.

Do people really not clean outside of bowl, under seat, under rim in bowl, around floor and wall behind?! It takes 2 minutes people! If your toilet stinks of wee that may be a sign you arent doing it right lol

I just thought that was normal cleaning? Anything less is a between clean wipe down IMO. I can let lots of things slide but bathroom and kitchen hygeine is up there on the priority list sick.gif

Edited by lozoodle, 06 December 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#16 CharliMarley

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

Buy a can of Eucalyptus Spray - the greatest smell for the toilet ever. eexcite.gif

#17 librablonde

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

Yep, we have a septic system so use eucalyptus oil and vinegar. Vinegar neutralises the wee smell. I let vinegar soak into our lino floor around the toilet for 10mins+. Then also spray the toilet seat all over with vinegar and eucalyptus oil, let it sit a few mins. Then wipe the whole lot down with old rags/ old cut up towels and  the toilet will be squeaky clean.

#18 Babby and Roo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (librablonde @ 06/12/2012, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, we have a septic system so use eucalyptus oil and vinegar. Vinegar neutralises the wee smell. I let vinegar soak into our lino floor around the toilet for 10mins+. Then also spray the toilet seat all over with vinegar and eucalyptus oil, let it sit a few mins. Then wipe the whole lot down with old rags/ old cut up towels and  the toilet will be squeaky clean.

do you use straight vinegar or a vinegar/water mix? And what about the eucalyptus oil?

I clean the toilet with a 50/50 white vinegar/water mix, but I must admit I'm a pretty slack cleaner and usually just clean the toilet all over, the outside of the bowl sometimes, and the floor around almost never. Mainly because the toilet is right in the corner and squeezed up next to the sink so it is difficult to reach.

Point taken lozoodle!

#19 EsmeLennox

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

If you have a tiled floor in the toilet wee can also get into the grout and cause a smell. Bleach, and lots of it, deals with this.

#20 Velvetta

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (~*Twilight~Zone*~ @ 06/12/2012, 12:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've actually found that flushing with the seat down has reduced the amount of wee that gets under the seat. I prefer prevention to hard work.

People don't flush with the lid down? yuk

Edited by Velvetta, 06 December 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#21 TenYears

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

Do people really not clean outside of bowl, under seat, under rim in bowl, around floor and wall behind?! It takes 2 minutes people! If your toilet stinks of wee that may be a sign you arent doing it right lol

I think by 'under the seat' they mean the part where the seat attatches to the toilet.  On many toilets, you can't actually clean there without unscrewing the seat completely.  Then you have to scrub down the screws because the wee gets into the thread and find something small enough to clean the inside of the hole that the screw goes into.  When you factor in unscrewing the lid and screwing it back on, which can be very fiddly work in a small bathroom with limited access to the side of the toilet, it definitely takes more than two minutes before you even start on the 'usual stuff' - the inside and outside of the bowl, lid/seat, floor etc.

It definitely wasn't part of my normal clean before I had kids because it simply didn't get dirty under there back then.  It takes very special misuse of the toilet to make that region grubby enough to need cleaning weekly!

And it has nothing to do with closing the lid to flush, and everything to do with little boys p*ssing all over the back of the toilet in their sleep.

Sigh.

Edited by Sevenyears, 06 December 2012 - 08:00 PM.

#22 Jupiter

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

EB taught me about The Plume. unsure.gif

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/other-sh...oilet-flush.htm

#23 ednaboo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (Unatheowl @ 05/12/2012, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I admit this is my thought too.  Wouldn't you just see this when you lift up,the lid?  unsure.gif

Yes, there is stuff under there!  Wee gets under there when little boys use the loo, the water evaporates off and you are left with a yellowish grunge.  I had never heard of the deep clean til EB either, and when I investigated I was horrified!  Seriously, don't knock it until you've tried it!

#24 mandarins

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

The loo at my place stinks too - little boys in my house also. I may have to try this 'deep cleansing' thingy. Not looking forward to it but I hate using the bathroom too. I bleach and in a day it smells again!

Also, people do need to wash the walls, bath, shower and doors etc around toilet. I notice at some peoples houses when you use the loo they seem to have not noticed the pee gets there too!!

#25 aidensmum

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:22 PM

Im guessing those who have not experienced the solidified wee under the bolted down part of the lid have girls.  My husband misses so badly he sits down to pee so he's no problem. My youngest had a bizarre technique where he'd squat with his feet on the actual toilet seat and peeing in mid air and missing badly.  Drove me nuts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.