of i Phone 5?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 my4beautifulboys

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hi, I am looking at updating my current phone which is a nokia c5-00. I was thinking about an iphone 5. I did used to have an iphone 4, but found it too heavy and big, and the battery life was shocking, i seemed to always be charging it. Ilike that it is a camera phone and it does take reasonable quality pictures too. What do you think of iphone 5, is it a nice phone?

#2 Lauren Bell

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

It took a little getting used to for me after having the iPhone 4 for two years, but I love it now - the only problem now is the battery life is absolutely useless. I use my phone a lot especially for pictures, I am charging it 3 times a day. I wouldn't recommend any other phone though - I'm strictly an iPhone girl.

#3 lactasticmama

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (QueenB.PrincessC @ 05/12/2012, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only problem is the battery life is absolutely useless. I use my phone a lot especially for pictures, I am charging it 3 times a day. I wouldn't recommend any other phone though - I'm strictly an iPhone girl.

Me too! Though since turning of LTE, it lasts a bit longer.

I find the camera excellent, I use it several times a day. The photos turn out really well (so long as you have the lighting right etc), It's the best thing about the phone for me. The pic in my sig was taken with my iPhone 5.

I much prefer the iPhone 5, to my old iPhone 4. A lot better IMO.

Edited by PippityRue, 05 December 2012 - 08:06 PM.

#4 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

I just got one 2 hours ago.   biggrin.gif

It's way lighter, haven't tested the rest out as I haven't finished pimping it out properly...

#5 protart roflcoptor

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

I luff  hheart.gif mine.

#6 blackcat20

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

Its a little bigger than the 4 (longer) but a lot lighter.

#7 Expelliarmus

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

I haven't had an iPhone before but I love it so much better than my Nokia. I know it has crap battery life, but at least the device itself isn't made of suck ...

#8 lisacat

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

I find it really good. Way lighter and it fits in your hand better.

#9 ~Mintie~

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

I love mine wub.gif I can't say I've had the same battery issues, I play with my phone all day and can still go over 24hrs on one charge.

#10 ASDivine

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:41 PM

There are a couple of things you can do to extend the battery life of the iPhone 5. Once you reset it the battery will last a lot longer.
I've had mine since they came out. I love it. Can't put it down!

#11 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

I love mine. The battery life is sh*t but it recharges really quickly. Lighter than the 4 but pretty much the same tng for me who is not very technologically savy,

I do like conversing with Siri when I'm bored though, that is fun.

#12 **Xena**

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

From everything I have read and seen the iphone5 isn't that great. Not much (at all) an improvement frpm the iPhone 4s.

If I was in the market for a new phone I would go the new Samsung Galaxy personally.

#13 my4beautifulboys

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

Ok thanks it sounds like its worth looking at, i like the way that you can use it to take photo's and also email or text them straight away. I'm not too keen on the short battery life though! it sounds abit awkward. Do you buy it and set it up on a plan/contract with telstra, i imagine that theyre too dear to just buy?

#14 ~Alchemy~

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:30 AM

I've had all the iPhones since 3. I love this by far the best. The battery does suck but I just make sure I can charge it pretty much wherever I am and if you're not using it much, the battery doesn't drain.

#15 SummerStar

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

I ended up getting an iPhone 5, my battery life is great. Usually I get around 18 hours standby and 8-10 hours of use (this is with everything on except Bluetooth and location services)
My main complaint about it is the quality this time around. It took me 6 iPhones to get one that wasn't scratched out of the box. And then they scratch really easily. Luckily I had covers and protectors waiting for when I finally got one without a scratch and so far I've managed to keep it perfect but still, no other iPhone before (and I've had them all) has been like this.

#16 SummerStar

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE (my3beautifulboys @ 05/12/2012, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok thanks it sounds like its worth looking at, i like the way that you can use it to take photo's and also email or text them straight away. I'm not too keen on the short battery life though! it sounds abit awkward. Do you buy it and set it up on a plan/contract with telstra, i imagine that theyre too dear to just buy?

Yes you can take a pic and email or text straight away. I bought outright. Have a look at the different plans available. Telstra are the most expensive vs value around for the iPhone so I don't use them, but this time around I bought outright anyway.

#17 SummerStar

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE (**Xena** @ 05/12/2012, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I was in the market for a new phone I would go the new Samsung Galaxy personally.

I went from an iPhone 4S to a galaxy S3. And now I'm back on iPhone. The galaxy was too unreliable, alot of crashes and force closes with the apps. Also the galaxy (or any android phone besides nexus) comes with a whole lot of carrier software/junk which the iPhone doesn't have. To get the galaxy to work fast and well I had to learn how to flash another firmware to the phone. This got rid of carrier stuff but not everyone would be willing to do that. It also was a nightmare to connect to my Mac too. I had to install windows on my Mac to have it recognised. These are just a couple of issues, I have a list a mile long as to why I switched back. For anyone not too technically savvy I'd always recommend the iPhone. For those who like to fiddle etc a galaxy or other android.
I find iPhone works well because there is only one phone with the OS and all the apps just work. With the galaxy or android in general they make the OS for many phones and tweak it which means it doesn't always work as well as it could with different phones/apps. Every single app I had on iPhone that I got on android did not work half as well on android (some examples eBay, Facebook , etc)
Even it's own stock apps it comes with really need replacing, the email app is awful so I had to find another email app which there really isn't any great ones, then the keyboard needs replacing because it was bad, and then the text app was awful, I just want a phone that can work well out of the box if I wanted it to. Not to say I wouldn't give android another go in the future maybe but for now I just don't have the patience to fiddle with it just to make it work well. And many others feel the same especially if they're new to smart phones and not all that technical.
It's really just a personal choice at the end of the day. But after trying both (and I had the S3 for around 6-7 months so I gave it a good go and learnt alot about it but still ended up coming back to what was best for me.

Edited by SummerStar, 06 December 2012 - 07:17 AM.

#18 **Xena**

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

I have to admit a lot of the problems I heard about with the iphone 5 were from people who bought them when they were first released. They may have fixed the problems with them after that batch.

ETA: I can't remember all the issues because I was never going to get one anyway but one of them was a purple haze in the photos.

Edited by **Xena**, 06 December 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#19 SummerStar

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:36 AM

Yes that was if pointed at direct sunlight or something I believe but that happens with all cameras, I've not been able to replicate that issue with my phone. I did try some of the things mentioned caused it but couldn't do it.
Then again I don't use my phone for a camera, I might take the odd snap but nothing important and again I've not been able to replicate the purple haze. I've just read on many photography forums that its something to do with the lens and all camera lenses do this in certain circumstances.

Each time an iPhone comes out there will always be a certain amount of complaints and nitpicking, it's not as common with android phones because there are so many more of them that the concentration of complaints aren't about just one phone but many. It's really chalk and cheese difference between the two because all circumstances are so different and both cater for different markets in a way.

Edited by SummerStar, 06 December 2012 - 08:39 AM.

#20 **Xena**

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

It happened to people I knew who weren't even taking photos outside. IPhone said it was due to the sun but it actually ended up being caused by the way they had done the casing. I have a feeling this has been fixed though as people who have recently bought phones don't seem to be having the issue.

#21 SummerStar

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Guess it depends who you talk to. I had one from the first day which I returned due to scratching, it didn't have the issue.
But anyway, it's working alot better for me than the S3 did and my battery life has doubled. Plus, no more restarting due to crashing and forced closes. The S3 had heaps of benefits and neat little features, 99% which I didn't use. So while it was cool, I need something reliable that doesn't frustrate me. I also didn't like having to use an sd card because if someone stole my phone, there are all my pics etc easy to access just by taking out the card.
That's just my opinion though, I'm glad I experienced both.

Edited by SummerStar, 06 December 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#22 **Xena**

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (SummerStar @ 06/12/2012, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guess it depends who you talk to. I had one from the first day which I returned due to scratching, it didn't have the issue.
But anyway, it's working alot better for me than the S3 did and my battery life has doubled. Plus, no more restarting due to crashing and forced closes. The S3 had heaps of benefits and neat little features, 99% which I didn't use. So while it was cool, I need something reliable that doesn't frustrate me. I also didn't like having to use an sd card because if someone stole my phone, there are all my pics etc easy to access just by taking out the card.
That's just my opinion though, I'm glad I experienced both.

YeahI think it really depends on what you want your phone for. I have an iphone 4s and I am happy with it. I use it a lot for music due to my work (fitness instructor) and it's perfect for that original.gif If I needed a phone for a different capacity then I would probably choose differently.

#23 FiveAus

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

My daughter has a new Samsung Galaxy and has requested an iPod for Christmas. I asked why she didn't use her phone as I use my iPhone 4s to listen to music and audio books every day.
She said it barely gets through two songs before the battery goes flat.

#24 SummerStar

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

The galaxy also doesn't organise music very well I found. I'd have to rename and reorganise it all then find a music player that was good. There were plenty to choose from just none that worked as well as the iPod/iPhone player.

#25 frozie

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 06/12/2012, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My daughter has a new Samsung Galaxy and has requested an iPod for Christmas. I asked why she didn't use her phone as I use my iPhone 4s to listen to music and audio books every day.
She said it barely gets through two songs before the battery goes flat.

She should take it back to get the battery checked.  I have a Samsung Galaxy (so does DH) and the battery lasts all day with continuous use all day.. music, Internet, calls, texting, etc.  We only put them on charge each night.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.