Puppy-proof laundry hamper?
Is there one?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

So, we ended up with a very young labrador puppy. She chews/eats everything (I'm not kidding, I've spent over $300 in vet bills in the last week alone due to her eating random things).

She particularly likes to eat our cane laundry hamper. She also likes to get my dirty knickers out of it and chew them. sick.gif

Has anyone discovered a laundry hamper that puppies can't eat? I would really appreciate any suggestions... biggrin.gif

#2 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

The short answer is no.

Puppies will chew anything and everything because they are teething.

If you do not want something (including people and furnishings) chewed, then you need to remove access to that area, or to those objects by locking them away (and then not letting the puppy chew on the cupboard that its locked in).

Get a lot of chew toys - Nylabones, Kongs, Ropes, etc, and everytime she goes the chew, stick the Nylabone in her mouth.

And consider using her crate when you cannot supervise her in the house - a puppy is the equivalent of a 2yo in terms of mischief making when your eyes are not on them (or even when they are).

So where's the picture - you got a puppy and nothing for us?????? Naughty Karla!!!!!!

#3 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:33 PM

Thanks Spikey. I'll have to work something else out for the dirty laundry. I am planning on buying her a Nylabone and some deer antlers for Christmas, so hopefully that will help.

Here a few piccies of our beautiful little girl. She likes to bite my phone cover, so please excuse the snarl in the photos... wink.gif

http://m.flickr.com/photos/83822366@N07/8247011172/lightbox/

http://m.flickr.com/photos/83822366@N07/8247011794/lightbox/

http://m.flickr.com/photos/83822366@N07/8247014888/lightbox/

ETA, and please excuse my Flickr name. I signed up with it as a joke before I realized there was a member here with the same name.

Edited by ~Karla~, 05 December 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#4 Scruffy Wuffy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

Awwww,look at those puppy eyes! She certainly is beautiful Karla..Congrats. original.gif

Only thing I can think of for a laundry hamper pups possibly couldn't chew would be one made out of metal..Lol!

As for the chew toys can I add that pigs ears are Da BOMB! I'm always seeing my pups chew these more than any other toy I have. I buy stacks of them!

#5 FiveAus

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Shut the laundry door or put the hamper up where the pup can't reach it.

#6 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Thanks Scruffy. She is such a little sweetheart too. I'll have to get her a bag of pigs ears this weekend - might help keep her happy.

FiveAus - the laundry hamper is in the bathroom. At the moment, I'm keeping it in the bath, but that's not going to last long before she figures out how to get in there herself!

#7 PrizzyII

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

My cocker eats my knickers too.  sick.gif The crotch of any of my garments is fair game, as is/was my entire shoe rack. I lost, seriously, 2 dozen pairs of shoes, and its just stopped now (she's nearly 2).
We had to move everything off floor level really and make sure that she was given plenty of toys she liked. Surprisingly she ignores kongs and all those hard rubbery toys but absolutely loves fluffy softie type toys so she has a range of stuffed and empty ones which she plays with endlessly. Your puppy might like some of those too?
Good luck, I'll see you in the undie aisle at Kmart then shall I?

#8 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

My darling Anja came with a toy pig - she had it until quite recently when she decided to rip its snout off, and pull the innards out (it was an oinker, so had some sort of squeezy thing in it). glare.gif

She now has a giant rat toy that she carries around - and gives to DH when she wants to sit on him.

Absolutely no items of clothing destroyed. However my apple trees and pear trees have not been so lucky. Darn dog climbs into them. wacko.gif

#9 SarahVandooo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

Omg she is soo damn cute! Almost makes up for her chewing on everything!!Haha pretty much it's just about giving her things to chew on instead! And maybe even putting her in a crate ( or old playpen if you have one) until she's established chewing on toys, then let her our and about in the house

#10 Scruffy Wuffy

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (~Karla~ @ 06/12/2012, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Scruffy. She is such a little sweetheart too. I'll have to get her a bag of pigs ears this weekend - might help keep her happy.

I always give the new owners of my foster pups a pig ear when they come to collect their pup. Just a little pressie for the puppy really.. biggrin.gif
I hope your little girl enjoys them too.

Lmao Spikey,my rescue dog from SAFE in Karratha came with a stuffed teddy bear. He used to suck on it like a baby.Its now been de-stuffed and I have the carcass still left after something like 5-6 yrs..Lol!Pups now use it as a tug a war toy.

#11 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:48 AM

Anja had sucked pig, and plucked a lot of his fur off before she issued the coup de grace. He wasn't salvagable, and was in several bits by the time I'd realised she'd done the deed. Poor piggy (though I'm not so sad about the random grunts going missing). laugh.gif

#12 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

Funny how they all have their preferred toys. Elly LOVES soft toys but normally has them in pieces within minutes. She finds the seam the pulls at it until it comes apart. So for Christmas she normally gets a couple of $2 shop soft toys.

Bandit loves rope toys!

OP Biscuit is GORGEOUS!!!

If it makes you feel any better I have a cat that steals my dirty undies and rolls in them and he's been seen humping my dirty clothes.

#13 minidiamond

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Puppy breaaattttth.  Beautiful !!

Our labbies chewed like mad too - as PPs said, you just have to keep things out of their way if you don't want them chewed ! And give them lots of alternatives.  Simple things like plastic milk bottles with some kibble inside (remove the lid & plastic ring) work a treat.

Quick one on pig's ears - puppy will LOVE them but they are quite high in fat.  Fine as an occasional treat but you might want to consider some other things lower in fat to keep her in shape.  Labs and their hungry eyes have a way of trying to persuade !!

#14 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

Thanks everyone. We think she's beautiful too. wub.gif

She likes to steal the kids soft toys so maybe I will buy her a few of her own to maim and destroy to her hearts content. She has hard rubber toys, rope toys, squeaky toys etc already and I'm going to get her a Nylabone and some deer antlers for Christmas. *sigh* Good thing she's so cute! wink.gif

#15 casime

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

Bear in mind that once you give your dog a stuffed toy, then they may consider that all stuffed toys are fair game.

#16 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

I think she does already Casime! wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.