MIL wants to bring something

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Three Of Hearts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

We're doing DH's family Christmas at my house this year and MIL has said her and my SIL both want to know what to bring.  SIL asked if she should bring a 'salad or a sweet'.

The thing is, this is Christmas lunch.  Most things will be prepared and in the oven before they arrive (we have a hot lunch every year), and I have a pudding for dessert (and yes they all eat pudding).  So there is no need for sides or salads or desserts IYKWIM.

All I've come up with is ham!  And maybe some lollies for the table.  Apart from that I am stumped!  I would normally make custard for the pudding but I know MIL normally uses a carton from the supermarket, so maybe I could ask her to bring one of those and just use that?

And they are anti-alcohol so I can't even suggest they bring that!!

Any suggestions?!  I really don't want to offend her as normally Christmas is at her house and we leave all the planning up to her.

#2 Red nut

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

Cheese and dips to nibble on before.....

#3 handsfull

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

Tell her to bring the custard, some lollies for the table and maybe some christmas bonbons.

That way at least she is bringing something useful....

#4 Amy 1976

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

How about asking her to bring some sparkling apple juice? The non drinkers in my family like to have it in a champagne flute with lunch. Otherwise after dinner mints or nuts would be nice.

#5 Lou**

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

We always have nibbles on the table before during and after Christmas lunch - maybe a cheese plate or fruit platter, some nuts or chocolates?

#6 aprilrain

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Maybe some nice non alcoholic wine, or grapetiser, appletiser.

Let them bring a dish if it makes them feel more included, you can always send some mixed leftovers home with them in it.

#7 IslandMummy

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Nibbles...white Christmas, shortbread, rum balls
Dinner rolls or as you said ham
What about making a non alcoholic punch or other "soft drinks"

Edited by IslandMummy, 05 December 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#8 ///

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

Bob bons, serviettes.

Drinks - some cans/bottles of softdrink.

Eggnog. (although I have a feeling that that has alcohol in it not sure?)

Nuts

Rolls

Ham

Mince pies (to go out with the pudding)

#9 qak

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

Cheese platter for after lunch?

#10 Julie3Girls

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

Nibbles - either savoury stuff, or something sweet.
Something to drink.
An alternate dessert - even if everyone does eat pudding, some of them might like an alternative. It's really not a big deal to have 2 desserts.
Some fresh christmas fruit - cherries, plums, peaches.

My family actually share things like the meat - my mum brings pork, I cook chickens, my grandmother contributes some ham. Mum cooks hers putting it early in the morning, and brings it over, my oven if full with a chicken and vegies.

Is there anything that she normally dose that is her "speciality"? Or something she particularly likes?

Edited by Julie3Girls, 05 December 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#11 Mootmoot

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

I like the cheese idea.  Or a fruit platter/ bowl of cherries?

Or you could get them to do one of the hot sides - say a potato gratin that you can reheat in the oven.

#12 PrincessPeach

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

The ingredients to make a nice fruit punch to drink!

Add to that some sweets or a fruit platter for the mid afternoon munch time & that is christmas day done!

#13 WithSprinkles

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

We always have multiple desserts and I love it! So I definitely wouldn't mind if there was more on offer than just pudding.

Otherwise, other suggestions:
nibbles/cheese platter
softdrink/juice/mineral water
bon bons/serviettes

#14 ~spirited~

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Why not just let them bring whatever they want? We do Christmas at MIL/FIL and as well as the hot lunch that MIl makes (roast pork, roast turkey, roast chicken, ham, veggies, potatoes, gravy, white sauce etc) there are salads that are brought along (I usually take a cous cous salad and one of DH's aunties usually makes crispy noodle salad) and lots of desserts (pudding, pavlova, stained glass jelly, chocolate log, fruit platters, and of course custard and ice cream!).

It all gets eaten.

I don't see the fuss.

#15 HRH Countrymel

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

Cherries!  Yum yum Christmas cherries!

Is she a shortbread maker? If so then shortbread.

Something special to drink perhaps?

Just a thought: my family are BIG eaters (some would say gluttons, I say 'festive fare enthusiasts') when Christmas dinner is at my skinny minny sister's house they never have enough to slake our 25th of December gorging needs - Mum and I would always 'bring something' to ensure that the porcine members of the family didn't get forced to subsist on 'regular' sized servings of food!

She and SIL aren't afraid of such a thing happening to them are they?

#16 ~mimo~

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:29 PM

Drinks/punch (non alcoholic)
Nibblies (sweet/savoury)
Bon bons

#17 Fright bat

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:41 PM

Everyone has things they like and that define Christmas for them. It doesn't matter how much food other people provide, or whether or not they think an extra dessert or salad is 'necessary'.

In these situations, I tell the other party what I will be providing and tell them to bring anything they would like that they think would complement the meal.

#18 harryhoo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

What about cherries? We always have a bowl full on the table.

Or maybe some seafood to have as a little starter. We always have a "bucket" of prawns to get the festivities starter.

Or I think sometimes it's nice to have a fresh green salad to go with hot meal just to lighten the meal a little.

Or are they into making chocolate truffles or brownies or pavlova (YUM!) or something. Not everyone in our family are big pudding eaters, so it's nice to have an alternative.

Perhaps just ask them what they'd like to bring and if it fits in with the menu (ie - not a potato salad if you're already having roasted potatoes) just go a long with it. It's nice for them to feel they've contributed.

#19 Missy Shelby

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (PrincessPeach @ 05/12/2012, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The ingredients to make a nice fruit punch to drink!

Yum, that is a great idea!

I was going to suggest maybe some home made sweet slices/biscuit e.g. lemon slice, caramel slice, shortbreads to have with coffee and tea after dessert.

#20 Three Of Hearts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (Julie3Girls @ 05/12/2012, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there anything that she normally dose that is her "speciality"? Or something she particularly likes?

Umm... garlic bread! roll2.gif Actually I could tell her to bring a french stick!  Thanks I had totally forgotten about the garlic bread until you asked if she had a speciality!  And it's just french stick and supermarket bought garlic butter so they are two easy things she can bring.

QUOTE (~spirited~ @ 05/12/2012, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not just let them bring whatever they want? We do Christmas at MIL/FIL and as well as the hot lunch that MIl makes (roast pork, roast turkey, roast chicken, ham, veggies, potatoes, gravy, white sauce etc) there are salads that are brought along (I usually take a cous cous salad and one of DH's aunties usually makes crispy noodle salad) and lots of desserts (pudding, pavlova, stained glass jelly, chocolate log, fruit platters, and of course custard and ice cream!).

It all gets eaten.

I don't see the fuss.

Thats not how we do it, so it wouldn't work for us.

QUOTE (countrymel @ 05/12/2012, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a thought: my family are BIG eaters (some would say gluttons, I say 'festive fare enthusiasts') when Christmas dinner is at my skinny minny sister's house they never have enough to slake our 25th of December gorging needs - Mum and I would always 'bring something' to ensure that the porcine members of the family didn't get forced to subsist on 'regular' sized servings of food!

She and SIL aren't afraid of such a thing happening to them are they?

No they shouldn't be!  They're actually really small eaters.  Once I got told off for serving up birthday cake in portions that were waaaay to big apparently! ddoh.gif

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far!  I think the non-alcoholic drink is a good one.  MIL normally asks DH to bring a bottle of softdrink so I guess I can turn the table on that one and ask her to do the same.  I think extra nibbles will be a good one too.  They're not cheese and biscuit people but I'm sure she'll bring a lovely bag of twisties or something grin.gif   I like the cherries idea too.  Very festive!

MIL isn't really into making things so it's more ready-bought things she can bring.  So I guess if I give MIL a list of things to buy then she can delegate them out between SIL and the other siblings.

Keep the ideas coming!!!

ETA- And they all have to travel a distance to get to us, so bringing something hot and ready to eat is out of the question

Edited by Allie_D, 05 December 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#21 ~spirited~

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (Allie_D @ 05/12/2012, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats not how we do it, so it wouldn't work for us.

Where's the fun in that?  wink.gif

#22 Three Of Hearts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 06/12/2012, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd get them to bring a second dessert.

Couldn't you heat up hot foods at your place upon arrival?

It's sounds like you're being intentionally difficult.

Oh yes, that's it, I'm trying to be difficult!  WTH!!

As I have said above, my MIL and SIL are not into making things, I have all the hot food and other things under control and I am looking for items that can be bought and brought along easily.  MIL would be horrified if I said I had everything done and didn't need her to bring anything, so I am trying to be nice and think of easy things for them to bring.  But please.... turn this into some b**chy stupid thing it's not meant to be. shrug.gif

Edited by Allie_D, 06 December 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#23 unselfish

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:13 AM

everything sounds too heavy for me, so far. i'd be asking them to bring along light and fresh salads. and or a lovely fruit platter or fruit salad.

eta: tell them they're more than welcome to bring along alcohol for -cough- those of us that do enjoy it.

Edited by unselfish, 06 December 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#24 smultron

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

Sounds a bit like me- control freak!! lol  I find it difficult to delegate but if they are asking then as PP have said, give them things that they will be comfortable to help with- as you've said, garlic bread, a bag of crisps or nuts, a soft drink or non-alcoholic apple cider..

One year my SIL asked what to bring but we have very different ideas of things- I make everything from scratch-well definitely salads on Christmas day.. but I said, oh, maybe a salad.. they turned up with tubs of coleslaw, potato salad and pasta salad from supermarket.. Perhaps your SIL could bring some chocolates for afterwards.. we always have a pudding but we always have at least one other dessert too- like a pavlova and a platter of fruit and berries.. Sounds liek you don't trust them to bring what you want (nice nibbles vs twisties etc)  so if you are specific then you should all be happy- they feel that they are contributing and you still play hostess to a gorgeous feast.  SIL can bring a couple of mangos, a punnet of raspberries, blueberries and some cherries for example then you can make up a fruit platter at your place.

#25 niggles

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

I'm not sure bringing a french stick is going to make her feel like she's contributed. I'd just say yes to whatever dessert or platter she wants to bring and serve two, or serve the platter before or after lunch at the cocktail hour.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Win Love Child Season 1 & 2 on DVD

To celebrate the release of Love Child Season 2 on DVD from July 9, Essential Baby and Universal Sony Pictures Home Entertainment are giving away Love Child Season 1 & 2 on DVD to 13 lucky winners.

10 things I wish my pre-baby self knew

I look back at my pre-baby self and laugh at how ridiculously easy I actually had it. I remember complaining about how tired I was and how little time I had.

Creative ways to store your child's art

Ideas for storing your child's artworks have moved on from sticking them to the fridge door before guiltily dumping them in the bin.

Child abuse ignored because 'it's not your children': Waleed Aly

Waleed Aly takes apart the immigration law that's designed to "protect politicians"

How a newborn niece changed star Australian basketballer's life

In August 2013 star basketball Abby Bishop was 24-years-old and in the prime of her sporting career.

Guilt is my new shadow

No one warned me that when I gave birth there would be an additional side order of guilt.

12 brilliant Ikea hacks for kids’ rooms

Check out these creative upcycling ideas that transform regular Ikea items into something special for your little ones.

Child's nightmare about 'man with a light' turned out to be real

For three days, a three-year-old boy had been saying there was "a man with a light" outside his window at night.

Toilet truths after giving birth

The thought of going to the toilet after giving birth is often feared, but there are ways to make it less painful.

Woman asks strangers for $1 million to stop her having an abortion

An anonymous woman is taking an extreme moral and ethical stand by seeking $1 million in donations to prevent her going ahead with a planned abortion.

How a woman's dying wish made another woman a mum

"I kind of think about, 'What did I do beforehand? What kept me so busy back then?' Because now I'm really busy."

The parenting do-over: what six parents did differently second time around

In playgrounds across Australia, you can hear parents lamenting, "When we have our next baby I swear I won't be doing THAT again".

A solo birth, a wasp swarm and a forest fire: mum and baby's amazing story of survival

Desperate, out of petrol and low on food, a new mother lit a fire in the hope of attracting attention.

Boy found on swing died of hypothermia and dehydration, autopsy finds

The story was chilling and heartbreaking: a three-year-old boy was found dead in a Southern Maryland park, his mother pushing him on the swing.

Child's play and laughter help battle fatigue

Feeling fatigued? Uh-huh, thought as much. Join the queue.

Dad shares entertaining 'how to hold a baby' clip

For many new dads, their own child is the first baby they have ever held. So one dad has posted an instructive YouTube video titled "How to Hold a Baby".

The Australian baby with 100,000 Facebook fans

She may be only eight months old, but Egypt has already amassed more than 100,000 fans and received a letter from royalty - Hollywood royalty that is.

Tongue tie: what you need to know

Tongue and lip tie can lead to many problems for babies - and their parents. Here are the signs of tongue tie and how it's treated.

My daughter is small but that doesn't matter

My daughter may be small, but it's my job as her parent to refocus back where it belongs - on who she is as a person

Wet wipes linked to rise in allergic reactions

The government has issued a health warning after a rise in allergic skin reactions has been linked to a preservative found in some wet wipes.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

27 funny ultrasound pictures

Ultrasounds give you a look at your growing baby ... and sometimes what appears to their womb-buddy, or your bub in an amusing position.

What all parents should know about safe babywearing

A picture of Ryan Reynolds always gets the girls talking, and a recently shared photo has done exactly that - but this time, it's for all the wrong reasons.

Baby's head shape reveals potentially fatal condition

Thinking her baby just had an unusually shaped head, a mother was shocked to discover it was instead linked to a dangerous condition.

Why IVF success rates may not be what you think

Transparency, accountability and responsibilityare essential measures to protect IVF vulnerable patients.

Mother-in-law 'from hell' inspires survival guide

The happily ever after Nicola Milan had imagined wasn't to be – and she blames her mother-in-law.

Owning a pair of nail scissors does not make me a hairdresser

It's been a whole year since sleeping in until 10am. A whole year since having a peaceful shower.

The 83 children who were tragically let down in the last decade

Over a 10-year period, 83 children died from domestic violence abuse in NSW, with three quarters of the victims aged five years or under, the NSW Ombudsman has revealed.

Is it reasonable to expect your partner to give up drinking in pregnancy?

From the moment that I fell pregnant with my son, I realised just how much my life had already started to change.

Stroke victim joins class action against makers of popular contraceptive pill

"I was terrified I would always be this way. The pill needs to come with a much higher warning."

Sexy time

Why you should get excited about scheduling sex

Unfortunately, the belief that sex should always be spontaneous is a myth. It just isn't.

When newborn photoshoots get messy

When it comes to newborn photoshoots, it is all about the timing.

Expert Q&A: Gross motor skill development in toddlers and preschoolers

Dr Katie Heathershaw answers questions about jumping, toe walking, riding a bike and being pigeon toed.

'Samuel is our firstborn, and he will never be forgotten'

Having lost their firstborn at one day old, the Carrolls were overjoyed to welcome their daughter Isobel into the world a year later.

Dad takes miraculous catch while feeding baby

One American father has taken multitasking to a new level at a Cubs-Dodgers baseball game at Wrigley Field.

Name your baby Quinoa, win a $10K gift card

Choosing a name for your little bundle of joy is always a major decision. It can be something traditional, trendy, creative … or inspired by the menu of your favourite chain restaurant.

On the 10th anniversary of my son's death

This day marks a significant day. Today marks 10 years since I lost my son Kai.

'Help - my toddler hits me!'

My toddler has started hitting when he gets frustrated, is feeling ignored, or just thinks it might be fun.

The top 6 misleading parenting terms

From 'morning sickness' to 'the terrible twos', there are many parenting terms that are misleading.

When 'good' nannies go bad

While most nannies take pride in their work, there can be some who have a hidden side.

Woman hospitalised for skinny jeans injury

Beware: skinny jeans might be bad for your health.

Gauze seeding: the bacteria-breeding birth trend

A number of women having caesarean deliveries are now taking steps to give their baby a better 'microbiome' start in life.

Jimmy Fallon writes new children's book for dads

Jimmy Fallon, host of NBC's The Tonight Show, recently wrote a children's book about every father's secret wish for their baby's first word to be "dada" - not "mama".

28 names for babies born in winter

Looking for some baby name inspiration for a bub born during the colder months? Here are 28 options from around the world to consider.

FREE TICKET

Get your FREE ticket to the Baby & Toddler Show

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.