Breaking a fixed loan mortgage
Anyone ever done it?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 clm1982

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

Hi Everyone

Is short we fixed our Mortgages a few years ago for 5 years at the time it was a good idea as rates were very high and wanted piece of mind whilst having kids etc but with the GFC rates have plummetted, and wonder whether we should look into breaking the contract and whether it would be worth it or not.

Mortgage 1 - Approx $160k fixed at 7.89% which runs out July 2013.
Mortgage 2 - Approx $290k fixed at 7.25% which runs out mid 2015

I am aware we may need to pay break out fees of $10-20k? not sure how they work out this info, do we need to speak to the bank or someone else?

Ideally we would like to combine the 2 mortgages but as one only has 6 months left on it im not sure whether thats the right thing to do or not.

Can anyone shed some light?

#2 Bluenomi

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

The bank will be able to tell you how much it will cost to break the fixed term. I suspect with the first one it wouldn't be worth it, the amount you'd pay would be more than the interest saved.

#3 Ally'smum

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

I agree that it probably won't be worth breaking the first one. Can you have an offset account attached to the second one and put savings in there to reduce the dollar amount of interest that you pay, rather than the rate of interest? This might be a cheaper option.

#4 pollyjo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Definitely worth speaking to your bank.
We re-did our mortgage last year and it cost us $3000 in fees, but we saved $5000 in the first year in interest so it was worth it!  They just add the fees to the mortgage so you don't have to come up with the cash (or our bank did anyway).
Absolutely worth a phone call or two!

#5 clm1982

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (pollyjo @ 05/12/2012, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Definitely worth speaking to your bank.
We re-did our mortgage last year and it cost us $3000 in fees, but we saved $5000 in the first year in interest so it was worth it!  They just add the fees to the mortgage so you don't have to come up with the cash (or our bank did anyway).
Absolutely worth a phone call or two!

Yep thats what i was thinking, if the break fees end up being covered by savings then it would be worth it. I was suspecting the first one wouldnt be worth it. Just hope that rates stay down for 6 months.

#6 ShopgirlX

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

Maybe speak to a mortgage broker?  They know all the tricks of the trade and can probably work out an arrangement that will benefit you.  I can recommend an excellent guy if you are in Melbourne.

#7 clm1982

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

Well ive called the bank to calculate the fees, wonder what they come back with, will take a day or two.

#8 CEJCEJ

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (loggedin @ 05/12/2012, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree that it probably won't be worth breaking the first one. Can you have an offset account attached to the second one and put savings in there to reduce the dollar amount of interest that you pay, rather than the rate of interest? This might be a cheaper option.

Generally you can not offset against a fixed rate loan.

#9 Fluster

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

The bad news is that you can't just pay a nominal amount so you can exit a fixed loan and take advantage of lower rates.  The bank has a complicated formula that includes charging you for the difference in income they would receive if you were paying them 8% interest as opposed to 5%. It's not pretty.  Having been in that situation (at 7.79%!), my suggestion is suck it up and wait out the fixed loan period.

#10 giggleandhoot

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:33 AM

We're in the same boat. Though the Bank didn't tell us we can't use a fixed with an offset account. We really need the offset account as we put our business gst money in there. We'll probably just suck it up and pay for their mistakes..won't be the first time. We have just over a year on ours left..so hope it won't be too much, but it's just not working the way we wanted it too.

#11 (feral)epg

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Probably worth talking to a mortgage broker or a financial planner. Most of them are nominally independent but take a percentage of whatever loans they organize for you.

#12 clm1982

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

So called the bank, breakout fees would be approx $9500 for both loans and we would be saving that back over the life of the original fixed term loan. In saing that we would save $700 a month in repayments so it certainly seems likely that we will be better off in the short term at least.  biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone for the advise.

#13 CEJCEJ

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Fluster @ 05/12/2012, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The bad news is that you can't just pay a nominal amount so you can exit a fixed loan and take advantage of lower rates.  The bank has a complicated formula that includes charging you for the difference in income they would receive if you were paying them 8% interest as opposed to 5%. It's not pretty.  Having been in that situation (at 7.79%!), my suggestion is suck it up and wait out the fixed loan period.

That's because they would normally have a corresponding fixed term loan with an corresponding fixed expense that they will also have to pay out.

QUOTE (giggleandhoot @ 05/12/2012, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're in the same boat. Though the Bank didn't tell us we can't use a fixed with an offset account. We really need the offset account as we put our business gst money in there. We'll probably just suck it up and pay for their mistakes..won't be the first time. We have just over a year on ours left..so hope it won't be too much, but it's just not working the way we wanted it too.

Sometimes it is better to have a portion of the loan variable to use an offset account against, especially if you know that there will be funds that build up over time - but you would still have the risk on that portion of the loan with upward rate movements.

#14 giggleandhoot

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:34 PM

I think that was around the price we were told when we told them we wanted to change banks. I'm heading in next week to talk to them.

Sometimes it is better to have a portion of the loan variable to use an offset account against, especially if you know that there will be funds that build up over time - but you would still have the risk on that portion of the loan with upward rate movements.

I hope we just get someone who knows, I think we're the dumping ground for bad bankers in our town..if they last more than a 2 weeks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Ada Nicodemou: 'I can never be completely happy again'

Home and Away actress Ada Nicodemou has opened up about the loss of her stillborn baby.

10 things to consider when you're thinking about trying for a baby

Before you start tracking your menstrual cycle and reading up on the best positions to get pregnant, there are a few other things you may want to consider.

Baby Gammy's dad tries to claim charity money

The biological father of baby Gammy has reportedly tried to access charity money raised for the little boy's medical costs.

How special surgery and IVF can create a post-vasectomy baby

Cricket legend Glenn McGrath and his second wife Sara are expecting their first child together, thanks to IVF and a delicate surgical sperm retrieval process that helped the couple to conceive.

Belle Gibson's mother 'disgusted and embarrassed'

The mother of disgraced wellness blogger Belle Gibson has accused her daughter of lying about her childhood in an attempt to garner public sympathy.

Life On Mars

It's men who need 'retraining', not women

We are all responsible for our own behaviour. Telling victims to harden up is wrong.

Doctor's mobile phone 'left inside c-section mum'

A new mum claims a doctor left his mobile phone inside her after delivering her baby via caesarean section.

I'm a mum and I'm following my dreams

I want my kids to know that no matter what happens in life, you can still be who it is that you've always wanted to be.

Those first daycare days

I had this innate 'mum' moment the other day.

'If one person had listened, my life would have been so different'

Katherine's father will die in prison for the horrifying sexual abuse of his daughter. Yet she is the one with the true life sentence.

Couple to celebrate terminally ill baby's birthday in unique way

Baby Jai Bishop has lived at Starship Hospital for the past seven months, with his parents flying back and forth from Hokitika, 1100km away, to be by his side.

This new plan undermines breastfeeding and baby health at everyone's expense

Mothers, babies, the health system and the wider society are going to pay the price of this new budget.

Trying to understand why your baby is upset

Working out what?s underlying your baby's fussiness can be a case of trial and error. Here are a few common causes and how you can remedy each one.

When those you love judge your parenting

In today's society, never has it been harder to parent without judgment. But what about when judgment is coming from closer to home?

Don't play the victim blame game with family violence

It's not a woman's job to teach violent men how to behave.

11 truths about having two under two

When I told my mothers? group that my husband and I had started trying for our second baby they told me I was crazy. Now I can see why.

'How do you say goodbye to someone you've only just started to get to know?'

New mum Sarah Sutton was faced with a shattering scenario no person should have to endure.

It's a ... boy! Couple welcomes son number 13

"It's a boy!" That's the phrase Kateri Schwandt has heard in labour delivery ward for the 13th time in her life.

Six reasons to go for a walk

Can't find time to get to the gym? It could be just as beneficial to put your baby in the stroller and go for a walk.

Seven questions you should be asking about your health cover

If the last time you assessed your health cover was five years ago, there?s a chance it may no longer suit your needs. To ensure it?s still right for your family, click here for seven questions to ask.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

How to use gas effectively in labour

Many women in labour don't use gas effectively and suffer more side effects than benefits. Here's how to get the most out of this pain relief option.

'He has gastro but that's okay, right?': sick kid etiquette

We cannot place all children who are sick in a bubble till they recover, but we can give other parents a choice about exposing their kids to them.

Ada Nicodemou: 'I can never be completely happy again'

Home and Away actress Ada Nicodemou has opened up about the loss of her stillborn baby.

10 things to consider when you're thinking about trying for a baby

Before you start tracking your menstrual cycle and reading up on the best positions to get pregnant, there are a few other things you may want to consider.

How special surgery and IVF can create a post-vasectomy baby

Cricket legend Glenn McGrath and his second wife Sara are expecting their first child together, thanks to IVF and a delicate surgical sperm retrieval process that helped the couple to conceive.

Belle Gibson's mother 'disgusted and embarrassed'

The mother of disgraced wellness blogger Belle Gibson has accused her daughter of lying about her childhood in an attempt to garner public sympathy.

Doctor's mobile phone 'left inside c-section mum'

A new mum claims a doctor left his mobile phone inside her after delivering her baby via caesarean section.

I'm a mum and I'm following my dreams

I want my kids to know that no matter what happens in life, you can still be who it is that you've always wanted to be.

Those first daycare days

I had this innate 'mum' moment the other day.

'If one person had listened, my life would have been so different'

Katherine's father will die in prison for the horrifying sexual abuse of his daughter. Yet she is the one with the true life sentence.

This new plan undermines breastfeeding and baby health at everyone's expense

Mothers, babies, the health system and the wider society are going to pay the price of this new budget.

Couple to celebrate terminally ill baby's birthday in unique way

Baby Jai Bishop has lived at Starship Hospital for the past seven months, with his parents flying back and forth from Hokitika, 1100km away, to be by his side.

Life On Mars

It's men who need 'retraining', not women

We are all responsible for our own behaviour. Telling victims to harden up is wrong.

Baby Gammy's dad tries to claim charity money

The biological father of baby Gammy has reportedly tried to access charity money raised for the little boy's medical costs.

Where are the childcare places?

It?s all very well to encourage women to work if they choose to, but how can the measures lead to increased workforce participation when women are once again left holding the baby?

The pain of not having babies and not knowing why

After seven years of wishing, hoping, crying, punching pillows and shouting "why me?!", the end result is more than I ever thought possible.

Getting your family finances in order

Whether you're after a new car for a growing family, a bigger house, or are just fixing up your finances, here are the basics on borrowing.

Mum shares graphic selfie to warn against tanning

A mum has shared a graphic photo of her skin cancer treatment as a warning to others.

Does parenthood make us happier?

We can certainly gain higher levels of happiness when we become parents, but the trick is to not get overwhelmed by the pressures of raising our kids.

No, having a dog is not like having a human child

It's obvious these people dote on their pets, but they're barking up the wrong tree.

Top baby names

Baby Names

The numbers are in and we can now bring you the 2014 top baby name list for Australia.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.