Christmas presents for ungrateful kids/parents who have it all

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 agnodice

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

We have two kids that need to be bought for. One in FYOS and a toddler.

Both parents are pretty disengaged from the kids - they watch TV or play by themselves. Their house is chock full of toys, spilling out of cupboards and littering the floor (their mother will buy anything and everything from eBay/gum tree/garage sales etc) and the kids are expected to jut play with them by themselves. More often, they just end up in front of the TV. They have enormous piles of clothes, also haphazardly throw about. So I'm stuck.

Additionally, because they have so much, the kids eyes glaze over when they get anything. The only thing that briefly excites them is stuff which is interactive, because it gets played with with the other adults present on the day it's given (eg board game, golf set etc) but then the parents will never pull it out again. The parents very much take it all for granted, they give presents because they have to, and receive with the same 'meh' attitude - now don't get me wrong, I don't expect overwhelming thanks or anything, but when you put a lot of thought into something, spend $80 on it, and the parent doesn't even look at it (even on the odd occasion the kid gets excited and wants to show it to them) apart from bundling it all into the car to carry away and stack it in a cupboard never to be seen again - well you start to lose motivation after a few times.

But - 1. I love these kids and 2. I have to buy for them. So help me EB!

Board games? Kids are too young to play with each other and parents won't play.
Arts and crafts? Parents won't help kids.
Books? Won't be read.
Clothes? Too many already.
Scooters/bikes/balls/other outdoor things? Parents refuse to take kids out and ride bikes/scooters, or go to a park, or even play in their own backyard.
Electronics? Loath to give a Wii as a combined gift or a DS to the elder as they both get SO much screen time (yes I know, not my kids... But still, I can't in good conscience do this).

They have doll houses, trains, sandpit, trampoline, other usual suspects.
What is left?

Edited by MsN, 04 December 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#2 statua angelam

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Tickets for a zoo trip or other kid-friendly experience?

#3 beaglebaby

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:31 PM

How about Movie Tickets or Mini Golf or something similar - even better if they come with a promise from you to take them!

#4 la di dah

Can you do an experience gift with them? Are they sort of well-behaved? I saw my first movie in theatres when I was 6 and I still remember it.

Something like a trip to a local waterpark or something? I mean I know its not super cheap but if you're looking at 80 dollar gifts anyway?

#5 Tiamo

If you love them how about an experience with you?

A show, a movie, zoo trip, afternoon tea?  

#6 Niamh23

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (Ange Vert @ 04/12/2012, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This.

Or if you're really game - a donation to World Vision or similar in their name! wink.gif

#7 ginger72

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Dress up costumes?  Just bought my 3 year old a doctor costume + medical kit for her birthday and she loves it (as does my 5yo).

Mine also love sticky mosaics and once you spend 2 minutes showing them how to do it, they pretty much get it.  (Boy, are you down on their parents, by the way!).

Puzzles?  Mine love puzzles too and the big one will help the little one if she gets stuck.  The Melissa and Doug ones are great.

#8 Great Dame

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

New parents?  ph34r.gif

I think an 'experience' (zoo, etc) with your family sounds great.

#9 Milly Molly Mandy

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

I know you said they wouldnt be read, but I would get books. Maybe a box set or something

#10 GenWhy

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

I have kids like this - but it's because my family spoil them. We aren't buying them any presents - instead we are going shopping with pocket money and buying food for the homeless. Then we are going to hand it out Christmas Day. The best present I can give my kids is the true gift of giving.

#11 JECJEC

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

A magazine subscription - especially for the FYOS child.

#12 agnodice

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 04/12/2012, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are they sort of well-behaved?

They are appallingly behaved! The elder is getting better with 'institutionalised' discipline (kinder/school), the younger is constantly on a knifes edge - he is never really communicated with apart from yelling.

QUOTE (ginger72 @ 04/12/2012, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(Boy, are you down on their parents, by the way!).

I love the parents too. The whole thing breaks my heart - they are both actually really really bright, happy, beautiful children, and the parents are generally kind and well meaning, just... the situation is as I describe. I don't mean it in a judgey way (although there is no way to not be judgey about it) - I was just trying to give facts.

Experiences are a great idea and we got them an experience last year for a birthday - and then the parents were upset that they had to pay for parking, food for the day etc etc (we checked if it was ok before we got them the tickets and the parents seemed really excited about it). They are not really well off, we are much better off than them. And knowing this, I'd happily give them tickets plus money for extras - but I think this would stretch the limits of their pride.

I would also happily take them on an outing myself but wouldn't be allowed. They also live some distance away so it wouldn't be an afternoon at the movies, for example.

#13 Lolpigs

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:56 PM

I know people like this too. It is hard when they have everything that open and shuts.

Can you get them something that they will adore and tailored to each of them. Like for a little dolly for a girl that she can love. Or a special teddy for a boy?

#14 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

New beach towel, bathers, goggles, sunscreen???

#15 nakedrhubarb

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

Audio books or an annual membership to the local science museum/zoo. There are some fantastic audio books that come with the actual book for children to read along with.

#16 steppy

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

I'd just get them really great quality crayons or pencils and art paper and activity books and leave it at that.

#17 kadoodle

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (Ange Vert @ 04/12/2012, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I was thinking too.

Give them your time  happy.gif

ETA - just read your update  sad.gif I've drawn a blank, I'm not sure how you could get around those circumstances.  Do some places include parking in their costs?

Edited by kadoodle, 04 December 2012 - 07:11 PM.

#18 Mummytoyou

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

pillowpets
trading cards
craft stuff that they can do independently
beach towels
gardening kit/ bug catcher
baseball cap/ handbag
chocolates
science experiments
atlas/globe
stuff from nat geo shop
gift voucher to go and spend

#19 suline

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

We have two kids that need to be bought for. One in FYOS and a toddler.

Both parents are pretty disengaged from the kids - they watch TV or play by themselves. Their house is chock full of toys, spilling out of cupboards and littering the floor (their mother will buy anything and everything from eBay/gum tree/garage sales etc) and the kids are expected to jut play with them by themselves. More often, they just end up in front of the TV. They have enormous piles of clothes, also haphazardly throw about. So I'm stuck.

We must be friends with the same people. I love them very much however, so they (2 girls) will be getting a musical jewellery box each filled with hair clips and play jewels.

#20 gabbigirl

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

What about one of those Oxfam vouchers where you buy a goat, or some seed

#21 noi'mnot

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

I've got a similar problem, with slightly older kids. No matter how creative I try to get for Christmas and birthdays, they hate it. Every single time. I'm watching this thread with anticipation, because I'm honestly at a loss.

If you're interested, things that have not been successful include (but not limited to):

Books
Craft supplies - even tailored to child's favourite colour/theme/whatever
Gardening kits
Science kits
Board Games
Stationary
Cooking/baking things
Music
Etc...

#22 2bundles

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

$ Voucher for experience. Then you can make sure there is enough for meals. Btw very bad form for them to complain about that. Pack a sandwich or suck it up.

#23 wallofdodo

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

What about books on cd. Or what my MIL wants to give my son, because 'he has so many toys', a wind chime.

#24 Lyra

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

Because I am trying to have less 'stuff' in my house my kids are getting as one of their presents

* a penguin adoption  (7yo girl)
* orangutan adoption (5yo boy)

with both of these you get a certificate and some puzzles to do. The penguin adoption comes with a toy and email updates throughout the year and a birthday card on the child's birthday

another thought is maybe some bubble bath or similar bath products. I love these kinds of presents as they go down the drain, the packaging goes into recycling and there is no clutter in my house LOL

Edited by Lyra, 04 December 2012 - 07:45 PM.

#25 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

I love that idea, Lyra!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.