Would you use this name or do you think it's too close to close relative?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 strawberry blondes

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

I love Jack, always have done but I have a nephew who I see once a week called Jake so now i'm thinking the names might be a bit too close. WDYT?

#2 Jekaho

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

I don't think it's too close. They are different names.

#3 WithSprinkles

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Although they are quite similar, I think if you love the name Jack you should use it (it would be a different story if you loved the exact same name).

#4 niggles

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

Too close for me.

How do you feel about Zach?

#5 jai*

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

It's too close for me, but it's really up to you and your DH.

#6 Mumma Franklin

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Yes use it I love jack I don't think it's too close at all

#7 mum201

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

Different name, hence no family drama for stealing someone's name.

#8 emlis22

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

I think it's fine. Different names and they're not in the same household. If you're really bothered by it, perhaps ask Jake's family what they think.

Edited by emlis22, 04 December 2012 - 03:02 PM.

#9 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

Way too close for me. I know they stem from different names but there is only one letter and no sounds difference between the two.

#10 la di dah

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

They're completely different names. And honestly both are so well-loved and popular I don't think having even two Jacks or two Jakes would be weird (as opposed to, I dunno, two Akhenatens or something) much less one of each.

The most I might do is consider John NN Jack but that's less because of his cousin and more because a) I like the traditionality and b) flexibility depending on how many Jacks are in his class at school. Jack/Jackson/Jaxon are all more popular than John is at the moment.

But really my sister and I both plan somewhat alliterative names for our kids and I don't care.

QUOTE (Dabri @ 04/12/2012, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Way too close for me. I know they stem from different names but there is only one letter and no sounds difference between the two.

Sorry, you say Jack and Jake the same? unsure.gif

Edited by la di dah, 04 December 2012 - 03:22 PM.

#11 NoNoBoo

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:27 PM

Too close for me. However, I know a family where there are siblings named Jake and Jack.

#12 Ingrid the Swan

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

[quote name='la di dah' date='04/12/2012, 03:51 PM' post='15130477'

Sorry, you say Jack and Jake the same? unsure.gif
[/quote]

Not exactly the same but the slight affect on the A isn't that noticable to me.

#13 cb2

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

If you love it use it, you will regret it if you don't.
Some strage combinations I have known are:
went to school with a boy called Thomas and surname was Thomas so Thomas Thomas ?????

I met at kinder twins called Hayley and Harley both girls

and to top it off my Dad worked with a Robert Roberts called Bob Roberts for short

Jack and Jake are two completely differnt names and sound different

#14 Old Grey Mare

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

Not a problem as far as I can see. They are different names. As for strange combinations, my sister was at school with an Anthony Anthony.

#15 MyButterflyGirls

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

I don't think it's too close at all!

My DH and his cousin have the exact same name (but different surnames - their mothers are sisters). It's never been a problem and they spent a lot of time together as kids.

I also know a family where the two sons are called Jake and Coby (both nicknames for Jacob). I actually think this is much weirder!

Go for it! original.gif

Edited by MyButterflyGirls, 04 December 2012 - 07:02 PM.

#16 la di dah

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (Dabri @ 04/12/2012, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not exactly the same but the slight affect on the A isn't that noticable to me.

Heh. Okay. It's more than slight in my accent. I actually know people who became Jack because Jake was far too "ethnic" (they're old men now) and they don't sound interchangeable to me at all. I was just surprised.

#17 Gudrun

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

In the situation you describe I would use Jack without hesitation.

#18 Rosie R

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

In my extended family there is a girl and a boy in the same generation with the same name when shortened to a nickname, plus multiple in the same generation that have the same middle name so jake and jack would be nothing.
Then in another part of the family there is cousins with the exact same name (which I think is wierd).

I see why you'd be asking the question but If you like it in this case I'd say go for it.
Maybe just make sure that the middle name is entirely different so that the entire name has a different feel? Tounge1.gif

#19 Rubixx

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

Nah. It's not too close. If you love it, use it!!

#20 aussierach

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

I have a Jack and my nephew is Jacob and he gets called Jakie

#21 strawberry blondes

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (emlis22 @ 04/12/2012, 01:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's fine. Different names and they're not in the same household. If you're really bothered by it, perhaps ask Jake's family what they think.

I already know the answer I would get from SIL. I was banned from naming DD3 Ava because it's similar to her name lol.

#22 4kidlets

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

My thoughts are that similar names - in this case Jack and Jake - are fine for cousins.

I wouldnt do it for siblings but no problem for a nephew with similar name.

Like PP said, I would make sure mn is different though (if he has one)

#23 Bel Rowley

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

I'm not too fussed by cousins having similar names, the overall popularity of Jack would bother me more than the cousin Jake.

#24 Carmen02

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

if you love it use it!! my 3rd is very simular to his cousin and the same of a family member as well but we loved it and thought bugger them if they get upset we love the name.

#25 CleverChook

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

Personally I wouldn't.  If it were a friend's child, that might be different, but a nephew that you frequently see and no doubt will continue to? That other family members may mix up and call Jake 'Jack' and Jack 'Jake'?  I'd choose something else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.