Do you fear global warming for your childrens' sakes?

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#1 Velvetta

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

When I heard on the news yesterday that it is practically inevitable that temps will rise by 4 to 6 degrees in the next 50 years or so, I just felt terror.
We have been aware of global warming and its effects for 20 years or more, yet Australia increases its greenhouse gas emissions by 3% every year.

Because business and income, both national and household are so tied in with fossil fuels, it seems we cannot relinquish our hold on them. Hydro fuels and all the alternatives are perfectly viable but no one is willing to give up their position in the money chain. Car manufacturers, factories, transport - all would need to spend a huge amount to convert to alternatives and they aren't willing it seems.

I feel so frustrated as an individual that this selfish short sightedness is going to cause enormous suffering in the future as ice caps melt, natural disasters multiply, food sources diminish and mass animal extinctions occur.

I want my children and my grandchildren to live in a better world, not worse!

I'm no scientist so forgive me if I've oversimplified things or missed something, but it does seem that no one with any power is willing to shift this paradigm and it moves me to tears.

#2 jess1980

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

I feel the same way. I've often had sleepless nights worrying about whether I've done the right thing by having children I do live in hope that things will change but only time will tell

#3 Oriental lily

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

It's scary.

I think it will come to the point of adapting. Not preventing.

As you said no one wants to take on the reliance of fossil fuel.

One of Australia's economy pillars is coal.

So much money involved. And developing countries are demanding more and more.

I think of of all the natural wonders  that will vanish. Great barrier reef......

It's horrible but I really don't see a solution.

#4 lozoodle

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

Yeah its a bit scary, but there isn't much point in working yourself into a state over it. Losing sleep at night? Really?

#5 JJ

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

I do a bit, but there's other stuff I worry about much more (though in the end I suppose it all ties in together anyway).

#6 witchesforest

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

hell yeah, i am terrified and ashamed not to be doing more. i

think there will be a really ugly century ahead as 7 billion, then 8 billion, then 9 billion people experience poorly growing crops, food insecurity, changing rainfall patterns. we are isolated from the geopolitical reality a bit here in Australia but I sometimes think we are a bit like late Victorians or Prussians before WW2 - that events are going to speed up and overtake us and we will look like quaint fools who couldn't see what was coming,

#7 Oriental lily

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

A denier rolleyes.gif .

There is never been a time in all the earths history that we have has temp increases like this.

Normaly changes happen over hundred, even thousands years or driven by natural disasters.

But hey I am sure it's nice feeling with your head nice and deep in that sand.

Edited by Oriental lily, 04 December 2012 - 09:30 AM.

#8 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

Well it wont be an issue when the world ends in just over a week
*no I dont really believe it will happen

#9 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (Sassy Girl @ 04/12/2012, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It doesn't worry me at all given it's just a part of the cycle that the earth has gone through for millennia.

It is scaremongering nothing more.

And there it is...the reason why my grandchildren will be living underwater!

Yeah OP it scares the bejesus out of me, especially with people spouting bullsh*t! I can't believe how ignorant people are....natural cycle...yes natural cycles that cause mass extinction.

I suppose the only thing we can do is do our bit for the environment and teach our children about climate change and hope that at some point the rest of the world will wake up...AND become ecoterrorists!

#10 Z-girls rock

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

yes. yes I do.

we have changed our home with solar panels etc so that we are 'neutral' (not bill neutral - but our output is equal to or more then the electricity we use in our home) etc
we do have a car and use it sometimes but use public transport to work. And keep car use to a minimum.

we also do things like reduce, reuse, recycle. Compost and grow our own vegies etc but there are some things we need to consume of course.

but I really feel like there are a lot people (maybe not enough) who are trying to change themselves, their home etc.

This is great.

but unless governments and industry comes along we are still on a negative path.

People talk the talk but then get upset when governments try to take measures (like carbon pricing: commonly known as the carbon tax) to change habits and usage.

#11 seayork2002

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

I am at a loss with this too!

QUOTE (lozoodle @ 04/12/2012, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah its a bit scary, but there isn't much point in working yourself into a state over it. Losing sleep at night? Really?

#12 BetteBoop

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

Yes, it terrifies me. I think there's a self destructive instinct in most species. I doubt humanity will be around in 500 years.

QUOTE (Sassy Girl @ 04/12/2012, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It doesn't worry me at all given it's just a part of the cycle that the earth has gone through for millennia.

Where did you get your doctorate in Meterology?

#13 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:35 AM

We considered not having children (very seriously we weren't going to) partly for this reason. Don't know what came over us...

#14 archygrouseferal

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

Yes, occasionally terrifying to wonder what my children's lives will be like.  I'll be dead and it wont'e bother me, buthtem and their children?

But of course, maybe I could join Andrew Bolt and other denizens of the single brain cell community and deny that climate change is happening.  If I say it loudly enough, and trot out specious arguments, it will be true, won't it?

#15 (feral)epg

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

I fear that the collective world population is too stupid, lazy and greedy to do anything to limit global warming.
I fear that the greatest impact of climate change will be on the worlds poorest people and that those of us in the wealthier parts who have contributed far more, will be affected far less.

#16 seayork2002

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

Please explain???

QUOTE (epg @ 04/12/2012, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I fear that the collective world population is too stupid, lazy and greedy to do anything to limit global warming.
I fear that the greatest impact of climate change will be on the worlds poorest people and that those of us in the wealthier parts who have contributed far more, will be affected far less.

#17 emnut

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

attitudes like this scare me - how can we hope that anything can be done to reverse it with ignorance like this that I have now seen for about the 10th time in a week from people complaining about extreme weather

#18 bluebird84

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Climate Change denial and the illusion of consensus
http://www.ecosmagazine.com/paper/EC12490.htm

#19 Boombox

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

It absolutely scares me for my children's sake. And it makes me angry when people defend mining and deforestation in the name of "jobs" and the economy. Why should someones supposed right to a job equal the future destruction of the planet that we live on?

It's the children of today who will live with the sh*tty temperature rises, and the inevitable crap that will come with them. These kids have done nothing wrong, and will probably be the ones who will try the hardest to fix something they had no hand in destroying.

And what is even worse is that the bags of hot air like Alan Jones will be long dead and buried, why are they so intent of lying and misleading people- what gain is there for them?!

#20 seayork2002

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Ok then please give actual facts rather than posting information from unreliable sources (I am not saying you have but it is useless of people posting links form Google and expecting them to be believed no matter what opinions the poster may have).

QUOTE (emnut @ 04/12/2012, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
attitudes like this scare me - how can we hope that anything can be done to reverse it with ignorance like this that I have now seen for about the 10th time in a week from people complaining about extreme weather

#21 bluebird84

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (seayork2002 @ 04/12/2012, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok then please give actual facts rather than posting information from unreliable sources (I am not saying you have but it is useless of people posting links form Google and expecting them to be believed no matter what opinions the poster may have).

I don't believe anyone has posted a link from google? and the "actual facts" of global warming are widely available for anyone who cares to look out for them. The IPCC reports are available here:

https://www.ipcc.ch/publications_and_data/p...a_reports.shtml

#22 kadoodle

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

I fear it greatly.  I'm sad for my children and grandchildren who'll never know the natural beauty that this and previous generations have destroyed for "the economy".  That they'll be left to deal with the clean up, food and water shortages and pollution caused disease. The apocalypse is coming and it's such an inconvenient truth that society will do anything to convince itself that it's a conspiracy by scientists and tree hugging loony greenies.

#23 Liv_FERAL_sh

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (seayork2002 @ 04/12/2012, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're saying weird things again Seayork!! If you want people to come in here and say they aren't worried at all about climate change then you are probably in the wrong thread. Maybe you should start a spin off for climate deniers?

Nobody has posted unfounded information or google links, people have been voicing an opinion about the science was discussed at the DOHA climate change conference. IF you are interested in reading about actual science then go here:

http://unfccc.int/meetings/doha_nov_2012/meeting/6815.php

#24 (feral)epg

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (seayork2002 @ 04/12/2012, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry seayork but it sounds like you have well and truly made up your mind to disregard the scientific consensus.  Unless you actually have some training and experience in climate science this is every bit as delusional as a layperson deciding not to vaccinate their children based on what they read on the internet.
I refuse to engage in debates about whether climate change is real, just as I don't discuss the existence of gravity or whether 9/11 was a hoax.

#25 niggles

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (epg @ 04/12/2012, 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is entirely grounded. Many many communities are already struggling to adapt to climate changes. The number of people relying on Lake Chad for water, food and livelihood, for example, is scary. That's why I support a global adaptation fund for developing countries.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby survives five days alone

He lay with his mother for up to five days after she died of a suspected drug overdose - and survived.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.