E-readers... love or loathe?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 dorkalicious

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

So I love a good book. I like holding a book in my hands and making notes in the margin. So I always fobbed off e-readers BUT I do love the idea of having all my books in my hands........

So tell me about your e-reader? Love it? Loathe it? What brand/model would you go for?

TIA

#2 Funwith3

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

Nothing beats that smell when you have a new book and you fan through the pages with a big inhale through the nose sniiiiiiifffffffff... I love the smell  rolleyes.gif

#3 IsolaBella

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:17 PM

Love. Carrying over 1,300 books in my pocket is happiness.

Sony e reader for me. wub.gif

Eta you can use the stylus to underline and make notes too.

Edited by lsolaBella, 03 December 2012 - 09:27 PM.

#4 mitty82

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Kindle ereader here, was a bit dubious at first. But after getting one havent been back to the library, the amount of books i have read is greater as i can get them with a couple of presses of a button. I didnt get the touch cos it seemed to lag to me. Plus the buttons to turn the page is great position when lying in bed. where most of my reading is done.

Dont regret getting one at all. I have only ever paid for about 6 of my 50 books so far.

#5 FiveAus

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

I've had my Kindle since they first became available to Australia over 3 years ago. I haven't bought or borrowed a novel since. So yeah, I love it. I love the portability, the ease of buying new books, the fact that all books are the same size, the fact that they take up NO space at home.
I still love my reference books and my big photography books but for novels, which I always got as paperbacks, read once then gave away, the Kindle is fantastic.

And you can write notes, it has a fantastic notation feature, you just start typing at the point in the book that you want to refer to and it saves and numbers it as a footnote

#6 mitty82

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 03/12/2012, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had my Kindle since they first became available to Australia over 3 years ago. I haven't bought or borrowed a novel since. So yeah, I love it. I love the portability, the ease of buying new books, the fact that all books are the same size, the fact that they take up NO space at home.
I still love my reference books and my big photography books but for novels, which I always got as paperbacks, read once then gave away, the Kindle is fantastic.

And you can write notes, it has a fantastic notation feature, you just start typing at the point in the book that you want to refer to and it saves and numbers it as a footnote

oh really, didnt know that. probably cos im too busy reading lol. Will try it out tonight.

#7 Oriental lily

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

I have been completely been converted to e books. I read them on my iPad but I also have a kindle.

The reason I live e books is because.

I read ( at least a book a week) DH reads and my eldest dd is big reader.

The three of us being constant readers means our House GROANS under the weight f books.

Thousands of them stored under beds, stuffed in to book cases.

Everywhere.

So now I am building up my collection of e books. I love it. And slowly donating my ridiculously large hard copy collection to charity.

Annoyingly DH is not a convert. So his mountains of books are still growing.

What I love about e books is that my collection is always with me. No wayward books going missing. No lst pages.
I can control the word size.

It's brilliant.

I do have some books I will always keep.

But not the thousand and thousands of paper backs.

#8 EsmeLennox

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:46 PM

Love my eReader. I was rather resistant to the idea myself initially, but now I could not go back. I actually get annoyed when I have to read a paper book, they are so cumbersome!  laughing2.gif

#9 puddina

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

I was one of those "oh but I love books..the smell of books blah blah...."
NOW
I LOVE my Sony E Reader!

#10 jayskette

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

I personally is yet to be convinced.

My DH however loves it. No more lost library books, having to buy a book practically every week and now our house are literally drowning in paperbacks (and also no more reading my copies and dogearring them). He also loves gadgets in general.

#11 Phascogale

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

I'm a bit meh about it.  I haven't got a dedicated ereader but am using the kobo app on my tablet.  It's okay.  But doesn't compare the to feel of a real book.  And harder to flick through!

#12 SeaPrincess

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

I love my ereader (Sony). It's light, I take it everywhere in even my smallest bag. Plenty of books in case I finish one unexpectedly.  I have a cover with a light so that I can read in bed and not disturb DH.

I do have a few books that I will keep, and there are still a few that I've wanted that I haven't been able to get in electronic format, but overall, it's fantastic!

#13 antsy

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

Love my kindle. I much prefer holding it rather than a clunky cumbersome book. And I love how everything is at your fingertips, you decide you want to read a certain book and can download it straight away. It is so much easier to hold while in bed too.

The only thing I dont like about the kindle is that my local library doesnt have the kindle format for borrowing. But i am told they will in the next year or so, fingers crossed. So if you borrow a lot of books, ring up your local libraries and see if they have ebooks for borrowing, and find out which format they are in.

#14 domestically~challenged

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:49 PM

Love my Sony ereader original.gif

#15 Swahili

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

Love it. I have a Kobo, which is rubbish as I haven't been able to download any books onto it, however, my Kindle is fantastic. I still love reading 'real' books, but the Kindle is great too.

#16 epg

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

I have a Kobo - have only downloaded books from the Kobo store.  It was a choice of either buy a bigger house to accommodate more books, or get rid of half my collection, or stop buying new ones (as if!).  It's great - especially for going away where I used to have to limit myself to just one or 2 books, and would always end up buying something overpriced at the airport.
The only problem I have is that you generally can't use them on take off and landing in aeroplanes - so I still have to have something printed!

#17 Laborious Nicety

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

Love my kindle, love print books as well.  They are two different things which meet different needs.

#18 mad madam mim

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Love it, I have a kindle, and FYI it still allows you to make notes etc  original.gif

#19 LeggyBlonde

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

re this:  Is there a real risk my next Sydney-Melbourne flight could land in Kazakhstan if I use my Kindle during ascent or descent?

QUOTE (epg @ 03/12/2012, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only problem I have is that you generally can't use them on take off and landing in aeroplanes - so I still have to have something printed!

#20 FiveAus

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (LeggyBlonde @ 04/12/2012, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
re this:  Is there a real risk my next Sydney-Melbourne flight could land in Kazakhstan if I use my Kindle during ascent or descent?

They aren't mobile phones. If the wireless feature is turned off, it's just like a book.

#21 livvie7586

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

I am one of the few on here who actually hates their e-reader.  I have a sony, and i'm really pleased i won it, as i hate the thing.

i don't mind google play on my galaxy tab, but i still prefer to pick up a book and read it

#22 brazen

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

love love love

#23 Chchgirl

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:48 AM

I like books, real ones..no e-readers here...

I like that my decidedly unfashionable coffee table is covered with about 8 books I am reading at the moment, the latest being my latest Lonely Planet guide. I cannot imagine my Lonely planets via e reader!

#24 tothebeach

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

Love them.  I've had a Kindle for about 4 years.  I love reading, rather than loving books.   And with a Kindle, I am never ever without something to read.  So easy to throw into my bag.  

I actually have two - one lives in the car for the inevitable wait for children at playgrounds, gym, swimming lessons etc.

#25 Team Awesome

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

I have a kindle and still buy books mostly for the kids original.gif

Our forever house has to have a library but it's slowed my book buying for me which has made DH happy wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.