wrapping & sheets when sleeping

7 replies to this topic

#1 katiebear26

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

hi all.

i'm moving my little one into her cot this week and i am thoroughly confused as to what to use and how to do it. there are so many opinions and i would like to see what has worked for others before i confuse DD!

we use a love to dream swaddle that she loves, and i have the one with zip-off arms but she doens't like that yet. she sucks on her hands through the swaddle if i don't give her a dummy, but won't suck on her hands if i zip the arms off.

so my questions are:

- if i use the love to dream swaddle in the cot, do i also use a sheet? and a blanket? it's warm / hot here when she goes to bed but cooler by 3/4am so i'm not sure she will be warm enough?

- when do i take the arms off the swaddle - the wesbite says 'when you're baby is ready' - obviously she can't tell me so how do i know??

- or should i put her straight into a sleeping bag in the cot, and not use the swaddle at all?

ETA - in the swaddle she moves around the cot, doesn't roll over yet but it's only a matter of time! she shuffles around sometimes so i'm worried about using a sheet.

- i would like to wean her off the dummy. should i do this before moving her into the cot or after? i'm conscious of changing too much at once but don't know the order.

thanks - any info would be great!

Edited by katiebear26, 03 December 2012 - 02:44 PM.

#2 mandala

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

- I used a sleeping bag, and then wrapped DS over the sleeping bag.  I don't know what would work with the love to dream swaddle. Wrapping over the top meant that we could have his arms up, and even one arm in, one arm out, with only his shoulders and chest covered by the wrap.

- 'When your baby is ready' would mean when they're using their hands to suck on to help settle themselves, or when they start to roll. For DS, we wrapped with his hands up until 6 months, then went to one arm out until 8 months. By then he really started rolling so we got rid of the wrap all at once.  This is where the video monitor was handy - we could watch to see if he was trying to settle and then go in and wrap if he was struggling.

- When it's really hot at bedtime, we'll go in just before we go to bed and tuck a blanket lightly over DS. We've even had success putting him down for bed without a sleeping bag and then putting him into it during the night. However, you would be surprised how big a temperature range they can cope with.

How old is your DD? I would want to get rid of the dummy by 4.5months or so if possible, but once they grow out of the bassinet, they have to move! I'd probably try it all at once, but if it's really a struggle, I'd go cot first, then dummy.

#3 katiebear26

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

[quote name='KRT' date='04/12/2012, 12:03 PM' post='15129809'

How old is your DD? I would want to get rid of the dummy by 4.5months or so if possible, but once they grow out of the bassinet, they have to move! I'd probably try it all at once, but if it's really a struggle, I'd go cot first, then dummy.
[/quote]

she's 4 months old, i've been reducing the dummy and only use it when she can't resettle at night. i know i'm probably confusing her but my resolve is less at 3am...

ok, so i'll try a sheet over the swaddle. she's not rolling yet and when she's on her play mat actually seems to not be itneresting in rolling anymore, but when she's in her swaddle and excited she does this cute bum roll thing and almost ends up on her side. a sheet might keep her flat!

she's already chewing on her hands so i might try to arms off swaddle once she gets used to the cot, and then it's no dummy at all :-/

thank you for your help!!

#4 mandala

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

Have you tried an angel-style wrap? There are youtube videos of it, and it's great for a baby that likes to chew on their hands to settle, but still needs a swaddle.  If she can get her hands up she has another option other than her dummy and might not need it at 3am!

#5 Wrenny

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

I hope you don't mind me adding a related question to your topic.

I'm due with my first baby in February and am a little confused about wrapping / sheets.

I thought that if it was Summer you could just wrap the baby, and not have a top sheet. However, the midwife at our parenting education session at our hospital said that the baby should be wrapped and have a top sheet tightly over them, and that this was what SIDS recommended. When I look on the SIDS website, I only see pictures of a baby either wrapped or covered by a sheet/blanket, not with both. Can anyone help me with getting this right?

#6 iwanttosleepin

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

I would recommend a pekemoe sleep sack.  my DS2 slept in this until he was about 17 months old.  it encloses the hands but allows full movement.  

he had a dummy until he was 2 years old!

#7 katiebear26

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (Wrenny @ 14/12/2012, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope you don't mind me adding a related question to your topic.

I'm due with my first baby in February and am a little confused about wrapping / sheets.

I thought that if it was Summer you could just wrap the baby, and not have a top sheet. However, the midwife at our parenting education session at our hospital said that the baby should be wrapped and have a top sheet tightly over them, and that this was what SIDS recommended. When I look on the SIDS website, I only see pictures of a baby either wrapped or covered by a sheet/blanket, not with both. Can anyone help me with getting this right?

bub was born in winter so this might not be relevant, but at first we used wrap plus sheet, then moved to wrap (the love to dream swaddle) only, but now she pulls her legs up and bum-shuffles around a lot so i've put the sheet back on to try to keep her still! she only has a light swaddle, a sheet, and the fan on all night.

i think the sheet does stop them moving earlier on as they can't move enough to loosen it, but eventually they do get out of it and it can become a nuisance if they get tangled in it.

good luck in feb!!

#8 axiomae

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

We used the Love to Dream Swaddle until about 4 months, when I'd find DD halfway up her cot and on her belly! I went cold turkey, took her a while to figure out how to settle at first but after two days she slept so much better. She now rolls straight onto her tummy at bedtime! So much better in a sleeping bag. We put her in a singlet at bedtime and then I put her in the sleeping bag at about 9.30 when I dream feed her.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.