Why don't men cover their faces?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ~~~

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

I was reading this article today -
http://www.dailylife.com.au/life-and-love/...1129-2ai19.html

and it was really interesting to read this perspective. I have never understood, well, most religions, and particularly the differences in dressing for men and women (other than practical reasons).

Would love to hear people's thoughts about this Muslim woman's words...... And if you are Muslim yourself, have you ever felt like she does?

Thanks original.gif

#2 katpaws

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

It's easier to make women responsible for the crimes of men than for men to seek their own solutions to the male propensity towards violence, abuse and gratification of sexual needs. I think one "smart" idea by men was to create religions that were (are) patriarchal organisations where women could be subjugated in a legal and socially accepted way.

DH showed me a picture (ding the rounds of FaceBook atm) of a female university student holding up a sign saying something similar to: I go to a university that teaches me how to avoid getting raped but doesn't teach people not to rape. That pretty much sums it up for me.

ETA i know a lot of Muslim women are ok with the veils etc but i am commenting in general on all religions, not specifically theirs.

Edited by katpaws, 03 December 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#3 ~~~

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

katpaws, you raise interesting points about patriarchal society.

Years and years ago I saw this amazing documentary about the history of civilisation /society and how things changed from matriarchal to patriarchal at some point. Wish I could remember more about it.

#4 BetteBoop

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE (~~~ @ 03/12/2012, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was reading this article today -
http://www.dailylife.com.au/life-and-love/...1129-2ai19.html

and it was really interesting to read this perspective. I have never understood, well, most religions, and particularly the differences in dressing for men and women (other than practical reasons).

Would love to hear people's thoughts about this Muslim woman's words...... And if you are Muslim yourself, have you ever felt like she does?

Thanks original.gif

What the writer is saying is the men have power and so their perspective is the only one that's important. Men define who is a temptation and to men, a woman is a temptation.

As katpaws said, the way to remove the tempation is not to exhibit self control. He doesn't have to do a thing to control himself. She is the problem.

So while a gorgeous man is a tempation for women, he doesn't need to be covered up because women have no power. A woman is powerless so she must control her own temptation. She can't expect a man to do anything to change to accommodate her.

Suggesting women are jewels who need to be protected is just a pretty way of saying she is a pretty object and nothing more. It's prettily worded oppression.

#5 Angelot

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

Years ago I was at an interfaith forum where I heard of an Islamic group - somewhere in Africa, I think - where the traditional take on modesty had been turned around and it was the men who covered and stayed indoors and the women who were out and about unveiled.  What was interesting to me wasn't so much that story, as the responses of the people in the room with me to it; the Muslims seemed to feel that this was some sort of betrayal of Islam, an aberration or departure from what should be and they took it quite personally.

That says something to me about how our experiences of the divine get caught up in and conditioned by our culture, our history, our psychology.  

I also find it interesting that in the article she doesn't make connections between her experiences and feelings and her faith.  Does she feel guilty for feeling rebellious about part of her religion?  Does she identify the freedom to express her feelings with the mercy and love of Allah?  I feel that the piece is incomplete without looking at that side of the question, but perhaps that's a stretch too far for an article like this?

#6 kpingitquiet

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

I read a huge story, once (I wish I could remember where...Slate maybe?) where an elderly Muslim woman (not middle-eastern, further into Africa) described life in her city when she was young. They did not do full body covering, at that point, in her neighborhood/community, but they started having horrible incidents of teen boys being kidnapped for wars and hard labor and so they adopted the full body covering to conceal which children were boys and which were girls. Of course, then the paramilitaries began taking anyone they saw because boys would be soldiers/workers and girls would be raped. The story went on from there into a huge twisting domino fall of how they went from a modest-but-not-veiled community all the way to a veiled-female free-male community, when and where a religious precept became involved. It was really quite frightening to see the development in her particular community.

#7 ~~~

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

I think I'm just depressed now sad.gif I wonder if the gender scales will ever get near to balanced or even swing back towards matriarchy.......

#8 Feral_Pooks

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

While I recognize that this is the author's truth, the covered women I know have chosen to be covered as an expression of modesty and of their faith, and/or due to cultural norms. So I think there is a huge spectrum of experiences when it comes to covering, including to what extent you are covered and what pressure exists to be covered, and I just caution the extension of this woman's experience to that of most covered women in Australia.

#9 PigNewton

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

I wonder if the gender scales will ever get near to balanced or even swing back towards matriarchy.......

I don't think there has ever been a true matriarchal society. Equality would be nice though. I actually have no issue with dressing a particular way for religious reasons when both sexes have to do it. There was recently a show on SBS about the Amish, and the men have just as many rules about what they can and can't wear as the women do (ie must have facial hair, shirts only have 2 buttons and are closed the rest of the way to prevent "temptation", no belts as they are adornment, no jewellery, plain fabrics)

#10 FluffyOscar

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

Yeah, when you strip it all back OP, that's the question, isn't it?

#11 noi'mnot

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (Pooks_ @ 03/12/2012, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While I recognize that this is the author's truth, the covered women I know have chosen to be covered as an expression of modesty and of their faith, and/or due to cultural norms. So I think there is a huge spectrum of experiences when it comes to covering, including to what extent you are covered and what pressure exists to be covered, and I just caution the extension of this woman's experience to that of most covered women in Australia.

Similarly, in my social circles I have only come across women who choose to be covered (often against their family or partner's wishes or at least to the surprise of their family/partner). I'm fully aware that there are many women who are forced/coerced/obligated to be covered (similarly to this story) and I do work with some women in this situation. This has taught me that every woman's experience of being covered is different and contextual.

From my experience, her words are pretty common amongst women who are involuntarily covered. These stories are (again in my experience) also one large reason why family members don't like their women choosing to be covered, as they don't want them to be judged wrongly for their choices.

#12 Feral_Pooks

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

There are cultural/religious codes of dress and appearance for men in many Muslim communities, too, including around modesty. In fact, there are codes of dress around modesty in pretty much every culture for men and women.

A friend of mine explained it to me this way. As children, we would run around without our tops on sometimes. As we grew, we began to feel a need for modesty and to cover our chest/breasts. She said that for her, not wearing a scarf would be like for me, not wearing a top. She would feel undressed.

#13 ~~~

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (Pooks_ @ 03/12/2012, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I think there is a huge spectrum of experiences when it comes to covering, including to what extent you are covered and what pressure exists to be covered, and I just caution the extension of this woman's experience to that of most covered women in Australia.
I definitely don't assume this is the norm for the majority or really any proportion of the female muslim population, I just have never heard it described from a Muslim woman's perspective, as in the questioning etc.

QUOTE (redkris @ 03/12/2012, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I actually have no issue with dressing a particular way for religious reasons when both sexes have to do it.
See, I guess I think this is just a fairer way of doing it. Too many religions have the female having to be "modest" and covered up a hell of a lot more than the men in that faith. Even with women wearing veils in church etc.

QUOTE (Pooks_ @ 03/12/2012, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A friend of mine explained it to me this way. As children, we would run around without our tops on sometimes. As we grew, we began to feel a need for modesty and to cover our chest/breasts. She said that for her, not wearing a scarf would be like for me, not wearing a top. She would feel undressed
I would be interested to see how this sense of modesty has been brought about in her life - why don't the men have to wear scarves or hats/head covering etc? I bet the boys she grew up with, while they cover up their chests etc, don't feel like they are being naked/immodest without a hat etc.... I can see the religious and cultural influences for sure, and I guess it is like that for all of us, what we are raised with is often what we feel is normal and of course majorly influences our views/practices.

#14 I look incredible

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (redkris @ 03/12/2012, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think there has ever been a true matriarchal society.

Catholicism pretends to, with Mother Mary and all that. But who is allowed to hold the senior positions in that church? Men. From the Pope down. Anglicans? Same same, but without the faux reverence for Mary.

#15 ~~~

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (I look incredible @ 03/12/2012, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Catholicism pretends to, with Mother Mary and all that. But who is allowed to hold the senior positions in that church? Men. From the Pope down. Anglicans? Same same, but without the faux reverence for Mary.
See, I see Catholicism as totally patriarchal......hmmmm.... thinking about this now....

#16 Angelot

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (I look incredible @ 03/12/2012, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anglicans? Same same, but without the faux reverence for Mary.

Ahem.  We have two women bishops in Australia now.  Change is afoot!

(And I have met some very Marian Anglicans!)

#17 **Xena**

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

I read an interesting story where a Muslim woman said she covered her face because she felt it shouldn't matter to society what she looked like and wanted people only to see who she was inside.

The way this article was worded though just reminded me of that poster that says "I changed schools because mine was teaching classes for women on how not to get raped instead of teaching classes on why people shouldn't rape others"

#18 **Xena**

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (~~~ @ 03/12/2012, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be interested to see how this sense of modesty has been brought about in her life - why don't the men have to wear scarves or hats/head covering etc? I bet the boys she grew up with, while they cover up their chests etc, don't feel like they are being naked/immodest without a hat etc.... I can see the religious and cultural influences for sure, and I guess it is like that for all of us, what we are raised with is often what we feel is normal and of course majorly influences our views/practices.

I agree. In Australia we would baulk at women going topless down the street though it's okay for men to do so, yet in some indigenous tribes the women don't cover their breasts. A lot of what is acceptable seems to come from cultural norms and traditions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.