Sharing recipes with friends

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 FEdeRAL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

In the process of making my christmas cake this morning. A little late this year but with two little ones under two I am proud I managed it. Anyway, the recipe I use is from Nigella Lawson's Feast. She mentioned in a little paragraph prefacing the recipe about it being passed down to her from MIL of her assistant's sister. I thought it is wonderful for a heirloom recipe to be published and shared with so many people.

Then I am reminded of an ex-colleague who refused to give out recipes. She made the loveliest vanilla butter cupcakes for the office and when a few of us asked if she could share the recipe she said sorry can't cos it was her special recipe. I have asked quite a few people to share their recipes over the years. Most did and some promised but eventually forgot (either accidentally or deliberately, not sure).

So do you share your recipes? I do (although I must confessed I still "owed" SIL a Christmas recipe I promised her last year!!) Is it common to not share?

#2 cstar

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

I share my recipes all the time and if I find a great website, I always email my friends who I think might be interested.

#3 boatiebabe

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

I love sharing but most of the time I don't have time to write down recipes!

Most of what I cook is some of this and a bit of that - added to the fact that I use a thermomix a fair bit so most things I make are not written down.

So if you want to get out a pen I will give you a pretty good approximation of what goes in to a recipe, but mostly I can't be a*sed to write it out.  biggrin.gif

#4 her mum

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

I share my recipes all the time as I don't see the point in not lol!

However on two occasions previously at work I have taken a particular item in a few times, then been asked for the recipe, only to have the person I gave it to start bringing it in on pot luck days etc.

I don't really care, I don't own the right to make brownies or whatever but it just seems odd to me to ask for the recipe of something I regularly bring in, and then start bringing it in yourself?

#5 jessie123

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Doesn't bother me to share but then none of my recipes are some secret family recipe handed down.

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Maybe she used a packet mix & didn't want to tell anyone?

I used a white wings packet mix the other week & the cake turned out better than the ones I make from scratch! However I'm more than happy to admit that it came from a packet.

Besides that I share any receipie with anyone who wants it.

#7 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

I can't imagine being so mean spirited as to refuse to share a recipe with someone. It's sad and pathetic.

#8 jai*

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

I never make up my own recipes so I have no problem sharing them! They're not mine!

#9 TheGreenSheep

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

Im happy to share. I find a lot on the net or tv.

Reminds me a friend asked me for a cake recipe she wants to serve for Xmas day. I served her the cake. She asked for the recipe. I kept thinking it was 'missing something' but wasn't till the next day I realized I forgot the flour! Whoops. So I better give her the recipe with both options.

Only time I don't share recipes is when a friend C has given me a few, they're 'hers'. Also I have a recipe I've given her and she won't share it with anyone she doesn't like. It makes me laugh. It's just her thing I guess.

#10 solongsuckers

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

I would never even consider refusing to share. If I have a great recipe I often will go out of my way to share with friends because I want them to enjoy it as much as I do

#11 credence

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

THIS 100%.

Of course I'll share my recipes. Why not? The whole point of cooking is to share the love with the people that you love.

#12 cardcarryingferal

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

I'm always happy to share a recipe. I'm chuffed whenever someone asks!

I think it's a bit weird and mean to refuse to share a recipe. An old flatmate's mother (who lived interstate, and who I'd never met) made a tasty curry sauce. I asked her daughter if she could get me the recipe, and she forewarned me that her mother didn't share. Even though I lived at the other end of the county and wasn't likely to be 'competing' with her.

I also worked in a cafe some time ago that made a really delicious relish. When I asked if I was able to get the recipe, there was much umm and ahhing over whether to give it to me. I was warned that I must never tell anyone the 'secret' recipe; I agreed. The waitress then pulled out a copy of a VERY iconic Australian cookbook  rolleyes.gif

#13 vanessa71

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

I don't own my recipes, they always come from a book or the net, so I think it would be ridiculous not to share.

#14 FEdeRAL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (PrincessPeach @ 03/12/2012, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooooh, I've never thought of that.

#15 Ally'smum

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

I know someone who 'forgets' to give you the recipe if you ask but I also have a very elderly relative who outright says no because you might make it better than her and she doesn't want the competition.

The second response is far more preferable, at least she is honest!

#16 JJ

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (Swahili @ 03/12/2012, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't imagine being so mean spirited as to refuse to share a recipe with someone. It's sad and pathetic.

I agree with this.

I always share my recipes when asked - even the few I made up myself. wink.gif It just makes no sense not to unless it's for something you sell commercially.

#17 CountryFeral

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

In the OP's case I would bet the farm on the fact she is using a packet mix or is even buying them!

I happily share recipes - however I constantly annoy a particular friend of mine who asks for recipes all the time as I am a 'by feel' cook...

The recipe as such is always guided by what I have on hand at the time so doesn't really exist.

She finds recipes I write out for her with instructions like:
'Beans or bok choi or broccoli or whatever..' and 'about a half a handful' or 'till it isn't sticky anymore'  

She finds them very annoying!

#18 noi'mnot

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

I always share recipes. I share the food, why not the recipe?

Anyway, this thread reminds me of my grandmother who passed away several years ago. She was a brilliant cook, and an excellent baker in particular. She was a member of her local CWA, and would tell me stories of a particular woman in her group who used to give out her recipes but alter them a bit - like omit or dramatically reduce the sugar, or not include eggs, or add another random weird ingredient. Apparently this woman was very competitive and didn't want her friends stealing her recipes, some of which had won awards in the local competitions. I remember my grandmother once used this woman's recipe for profiteroles, and they came out green (she didn't add food colouring or anything, it must have been a weird and random ingredient combination thing)! It was hilarious, and she never used this woman's recipes again!

#19 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

I share recipes, happy to.   When I remember to write them down.  Or type out an email from the cookbooks/recipe book. I'm pretty slack sometimes with that, but it's not because I don't want to share the recipe. I do, it's just finding the time to get the recipe together and pass it along.

And I am happy to admit when I've used a packet mix.  Some of them are great!

#20 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (Swahili @ 03/12/2012, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly this. Many of my recipes have been passed on to me from friends or family so I can't imagine why anyone would choose to be a recipe grinch.

#21 DS1979

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

Ha ha, i agree that she definitely used a packet mix! With EVERY cake i bake i get comments on how delicious they are and every time I have to give 100% credit to Greens cake mixes as they are the only thing i ever use!   tongue.gif

#22 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Swahili @ 03/12/2012, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the way I feel too. The whole point of sharing food is undermined if you refuse to share the recipe. If you're so posessive & competetive limit your cooking to show competitions.

#23 Feral timtam

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

Normally I am happy to share my recipes, but I do have one I don't like sharing. Sadly that's the one people are always asking for. It's a personal creation and rather tricky to get right, I used to freely share the recipe but got sick of being accused of having left ingredients or important steps out. I'd rather put up with being nagged to bring it in again than be accused of leaving things out of a recipe.

#24 lexington

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

OP maybe the butter cake was Betty Crocker and she didn't want anyone to find out!

I always share but mine are mostly not original.

#25 SeaPrincess

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

I share my recipes, but only the things I actually cook from a recipe, not the things I make slightly differently every time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.