Sharing recipes with friends

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 FEdeRAL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

In the process of making my christmas cake this morning. A little late this year but with two little ones under two I am proud I managed it. Anyway, the recipe I use is from Nigella Lawson's Feast. She mentioned in a little paragraph prefacing the recipe about it being passed down to her from MIL of her assistant's sister. I thought it is wonderful for a heirloom recipe to be published and shared with so many people.

Then I am reminded of an ex-colleague who refused to give out recipes. She made the loveliest vanilla butter cupcakes for the office and when a few of us asked if she could share the recipe she said sorry can't cos it was her special recipe. I have asked quite a few people to share their recipes over the years. Most did and some promised but eventually forgot (either accidentally or deliberately, not sure).

So do you share your recipes? I do (although I must confessed I still "owed" SIL a Christmas recipe I promised her last year!!) Is it common to not share?

#2 cstar

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

I share my recipes all the time and if I find a great website, I always email my friends who I think might be interested.

#3 boatiebabe

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

I love sharing but most of the time I don't have time to write down recipes!

Most of what I cook is some of this and a bit of that - added to the fact that I use a thermomix a fair bit so most things I make are not written down.

So if you want to get out a pen I will give you a pretty good approximation of what goes in to a recipe, but mostly I can't be a*sed to write it out.  biggrin.gif

#4 her mum

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

I share my recipes all the time as I don't see the point in not lol!

However on two occasions previously at work I have taken a particular item in a few times, then been asked for the recipe, only to have the person I gave it to start bringing it in on pot luck days etc.

I don't really care, I don't own the right to make brownies or whatever but it just seems odd to me to ask for the recipe of something I regularly bring in, and then start bringing it in yourself?

#5 jessie123

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

Doesn't bother me to share but then none of my recipes are some secret family recipe handed down.

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

Maybe she used a packet mix & didn't want to tell anyone?

I used a white wings packet mix the other week & the cake turned out better than the ones I make from scratch! However I'm more than happy to admit that it came from a packet.

Besides that I share any receipie with anyone who wants it.

#7 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

I can't imagine being so mean spirited as to refuse to share a recipe with someone. It's sad and pathetic.

#8 jai*

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:40 PM

I never make up my own recipes so I have no problem sharing them! They're not mine!

#9 TheGreenSheep

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

Im happy to share. I find a lot on the net or tv.

Reminds me a friend asked me for a cake recipe she wants to serve for Xmas day. I served her the cake. She asked for the recipe. I kept thinking it was 'missing something' but wasn't till the next day I realized I forgot the flour! Whoops. So I better give her the recipe with both options.

Only time I don't share recipes is when a friend C has given me a few, they're 'hers'. Also I have a recipe I've given her and she won't share it with anyone she doesn't like. It makes me laugh. It's just her thing I guess.

#10 solongsuckers

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

I would never even consider refusing to share. If I have a great recipe I often will go out of my way to share with friends because I want them to enjoy it as much as I do

#11 credence

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

THIS 100%.

Of course I'll share my recipes. Why not? The whole point of cooking is to share the love with the people that you love.

#12 cardcarryingferal

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

I'm always happy to share a recipe. I'm chuffed whenever someone asks!

I think it's a bit weird and mean to refuse to share a recipe. An old flatmate's mother (who lived interstate, and who I'd never met) made a tasty curry sauce. I asked her daughter if she could get me the recipe, and she forewarned me that her mother didn't share. Even though I lived at the other end of the county and wasn't likely to be 'competing' with her.

I also worked in a cafe some time ago that made a really delicious relish. When I asked if I was able to get the recipe, there was much umm and ahhing over whether to give it to me. I was warned that I must never tell anyone the 'secret' recipe; I agreed. The waitress then pulled out a copy of a VERY iconic Australian cookbook  rolleyes.gif

#13 vanessa71

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

I don't own my recipes, they always come from a book or the net, so I think it would be ridiculous not to share.

#14 FEdeRAL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (PrincessPeach @ 03/12/2012, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooooh, I've never thought of that.

#15 Ally'smum

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

I know someone who 'forgets' to give you the recipe if you ask but I also have a very elderly relative who outright says no because you might make it better than her and she doesn't want the competition.

The second response is far more preferable, at least she is honest!

#16 JJ

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (Swahili @ 03/12/2012, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't imagine being so mean spirited as to refuse to share a recipe with someone. It's sad and pathetic.

I agree with this.

I always share my recipes when asked - even the few I made up myself. wink.gif It just makes no sense not to unless it's for something you sell commercially.

#17 CountryFeral

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

In the OP's case I would bet the farm on the fact she is using a packet mix or is even buying them!

I happily share recipes - however I constantly annoy a particular friend of mine who asks for recipes all the time as I am a 'by feel' cook...

The recipe as such is always guided by what I have on hand at the time so doesn't really exist.

She finds recipes I write out for her with instructions like:
'Beans or bok choi or broccoli or whatever..' and 'about a half a handful' or 'till it isn't sticky anymore'  

She finds them very annoying!

#18 noi'mnot

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

I always share recipes. I share the food, why not the recipe?

Anyway, this thread reminds me of my grandmother who passed away several years ago. She was a brilliant cook, and an excellent baker in particular. She was a member of her local CWA, and would tell me stories of a particular woman in her group who used to give out her recipes but alter them a bit - like omit or dramatically reduce the sugar, or not include eggs, or add another random weird ingredient. Apparently this woman was very competitive and didn't want her friends stealing her recipes, some of which had won awards in the local competitions. I remember my grandmother once used this woman's recipe for profiteroles, and they came out green (she didn't add food colouring or anything, it must have been a weird and random ingredient combination thing)! It was hilarious, and she never used this woman's recipes again!

#19 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

I share recipes, happy to.   When I remember to write them down.  Or type out an email from the cookbooks/recipe book. I'm pretty slack sometimes with that, but it's not because I don't want to share the recipe. I do, it's just finding the time to get the recipe together and pass it along.

And I am happy to admit when I've used a packet mix.  Some of them are great!

#20 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE (Swahili @ 03/12/2012, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly this. Many of my recipes have been passed on to me from friends or family so I can't imagine why anyone would choose to be a recipe grinch.

#21 DS1979

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

Ha ha, i agree that she definitely used a packet mix! With EVERY cake i bake i get comments on how delicious they are and every time I have to give 100% credit to Greens cake mixes as they are the only thing i ever use!   tongue.gif

#22 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Swahili @ 03/12/2012, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the way I feel too. The whole point of sharing food is undermined if you refuse to share the recipe. If you're so posessive & competetive limit your cooking to show competitions.

#23 Feral timtam

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

Normally I am happy to share my recipes, but I do have one I don't like sharing. Sadly that's the one people are always asking for. It's a personal creation and rather tricky to get right, I used to freely share the recipe but got sick of being accused of having left ingredients or important steps out. I'd rather put up with being nagged to bring it in again than be accused of leaving things out of a recipe.

#24 lexington

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

OP maybe the butter cake was Betty Crocker and she didn't want anyone to find out!

I always share but mine are mostly not original.

#25 SeaPrincess

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

I share my recipes, but only the things I actually cook from a recipe, not the things I make slightly differently every time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

16 ways to tie a scarf

Scarfs are the perfect winter accessory. Whether you're freezing at soccer training or wanting to add a splash of colour to a monochrome top, the right scarf will sort you out in no time. Just ask Nina Proudman.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

The simple way to support other parents

We may be raising children of different ages and sexes, with different personalities, but we, as parents, aren't that different - we all have similar struggles, fears, doubts, responsibilities.

Seeing the big picture when it comes to parenting

Sometimes it feels like hundreds of tiny cracks are spreading across the surface of our lives, creeping slowly into the foundations and threatening to make them crumble. How do we hold it all together?

How to spot a lactaboobiephobia sufferer

Lactation consultant Meg Nagle refused to stay silent when Facebook removed two photos of her breastfeeding. Instead, she coined a term to describe those who don't recognise breastfeeding for the natural and non-sexual act that it is.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Chinese manufacturers tap into the cute factor with tree-grown babies.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.