Edible christmas gifts you can make..

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 3plusme

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Calling all betty home-makers...

After making butter and jam in recent days, I thought I could make some christmas gifts this year for my aunts and grandmas.  But what?

I saw a few good things on Nigella Christmas special, but that's it.

So what's your go-to for home made Christmas gifts which are relatively easy to put together?

Thanks.

#2 niggles

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

Afghan biscuits in a jar are my go-to food gift but I've always wanted to try those 'cake in a jar' mixes where you layer the dry ingredients and pop the rest of the instructions on a little label so people can make them fresh. I've seen them on lots of blogs and magazines and they look like a cute idea.

Lemon butter is pretty popular around here.

#3 José

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

This year I'm making cinnamon cookies using a Donna hay recipe. Last year it was chocolate truffles with a women's weekly recipe.

#4 Flaxen

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

I made this not long ago, to test for christmas gifts, and it was wonderful!
Easiest fudge ever and tastes so so good. The glucose syrup is found in the baking section, near the food colourings and sprinkles.

Liqueur Fudge

Melted butter, to grease
1 x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
100g butter, cubed
255g (1 1/4 cups) brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tbs glucose syrup
150g good-quality dark/milk chocolate, finely chopped
60ml (1/4 cup) Baileys Original Irish Cream liqueur  (I used Kahlua, im sure you could use lots of other flavors too like butterscotch, frangelico, strawberry ect....)

Method

Step 1
Brush a 20cm (base measurement) square cake pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line base and 2 opposite sides with non-stick baking paper, allowing it to overhang.

Step 2
Combine the condensed milk, butter, sugar and glucose syrup in a medium heavy-based saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat for 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring constantly, for 10-15 minutes or until mixture thickens, turns a caramel colour and leaves the side of pan. Remove from heat.

Step 3
Add the chocolate and liqueur, and stir until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Set aside for 1 hour to cool. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour or until firm.

Step 4
Remove fudge from pan, using the paper to help lift the fudge. Use a sharp knife to cut fudge into 24-30 equal portions.

#5 AmberNut

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

So far I have made some blackberry jam, dried apricot jam and some Christmas cakes. Next week I will make some tomato relish. The days before Christmas some chocolate fudge and some little chocolate biscuits.

I found a nice brownie-in-a-jar recipe here.....
http://www.magnoliarouge.com/2011/11/brownie-in-jar.html

#6 JackiOT

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

I have done fudge, truffles, caramels, shortbread and gingerbread biscuits.  They are great for neighbours etc and seem to be appreciated.

I was a bit interested in a hot chocolate mixture recipe I saw on pinterest  http://penniesonaplatter.com/2011/12/22/sa...-chocolate-mix/
and also caramel popcorn was another thought (but I did think I might end up eating it wink.gif ) http://www.twirlandtaste.com/2012/11/caram...oh-so-good.html

I would love someone to make me some interesting jam or lemon butter!

#7 3plusme

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

I am so impressed with what everyone is making!

Keep the suggestions coming!

#8 aussierach

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

i make for us rum balls, xmas balls for the kids, rocky road etc

this year I saw a recipe for lime macadamia fudge from 4 ingredients book thats I plan on trying original.gif

#9 butterflydreaming

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

So far I have made christmas cakes, strawberry/rhubarb jam, tomato sauce and mango chutney.

Still to make for this christmas are

Cherry Chutney
Peach jam
Shortbread
Rum balls
Chocolate truffles

All the food goods will be packaged up into gift hampers for the family, as well a foods I have made

Sugar scrub
Soap
Liquid soap
Lip gloss
Bath Salts

These will be packaged into little bathroom gift baskets for my females friends.

#10 WithSprinkles

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

butterflydreaming, do you mind sharing the recipe for cherry chutney? That sounds good!

Anyone got any suggestions for places to buy cheap jars?

#11 librablonde

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

I made Oreo truffle balls the other day and they were a mega hit. They're not too sweet and I dipped them in melted milk chocolate and then drizzled lines of white chocolate over the balls to finish them off. I think they taste much better the next day. So easy to make!
http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/oreo-...alls-L4933.html

#12 WithSprinkles

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

They sound delish librablonde. I've also heard of Tim Tam truffles...might have to give both a go!

#13 noi'mnot

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

I've been totally disorganised this year, and haven't even started on my Christmas gift cooking.

I'm planning on making:

Tomato Kasundi
Shortbread
Gingerbread men
Maybe some kind of confectionery like caramels? I'm not sure, suggestions welcome!
Maybe some biscotti

If anybody is in Melbourne, I can highly recommend Costante Imports for jars, and any other preserving and home cheese/wine/sausage/etc making needs! They're ace!

#14 Jenferal

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

I'm planning on making the nuts that are featured on the side of this site(Union Sq Nuts) and I bought a chocolate mould to make chocolate Christmas trees. I MIGHT try my hand at gingerbread caramels if I get time.
All mine need to be gluten free and I have a few dietary restrictions to keep in mind, which makes it difficult.

http://www.marthastewart.com/338994/gingerbread-caramels

Edited by Jenflea, 14 December 2012 - 08:17 AM.

#15 noi'mnot

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

Wow, those gingerbread caramels look amazing! What are you planning on using to wrap them individually, and where do you get it from?

The nuts are a good idea, too - simple and easy. I might make a few flavours and wrap them prettily as extra presents for the people that I forget about!  wink.gif

ETA: Oooh, Martha Stewart is good! Looking at the Pecan sea-salt drops and fruit jellies...

Edited by noi'mnot, 14 December 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#16 mumma_ox

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

No suggestions on where to buy cheap jars necessarily, but I often spray paint the lids of old jam jars and they look nice.  I think it complements a home-made gift that you are recycling and choosing a home-made packaging option too.

#17 Therese

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Flaxen, that fudge sounds delicious!

#18 Jenferal

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

I was thinking cellophane to wrap the caramels, or waxed paper like an old fashioned taffy lolly.

#19 noi'mnot

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

So... please excuse me for asking an obvious question... just regular cellophane, like for wrapping presents (but clear)? Or is there special food cellophane?

#20 Bluenomi

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

I always make shortbread and even my less than perfect batches are devoured.

I just get cellophane bags from the newsagent, maybe add some mini chocolates and lots of ribbon and I'm done!

#21 WithSprinkles

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

Ooh thanks for the Martha Stewart link. Those caramels look good.. I wonder if they are easy to make look that good!

#22 Missmarymack

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (mumma_ox @ 14/12/2012, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No suggestions on where to buy cheap jars necessarily, but I often spray paint the lids of old jam jars and they look nice.  I think it complements a home-made gift that you are recycling and choosing a home-made packaging option too.

I personally like to spend the whole year eating Bonne Mamman jam and saving the jars. They have a cute red gingham lid too that looks pretty Christmassy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.