Edible christmas gifts you can make..

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 3plusme

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:02 PM

Calling all betty home-makers...

After making butter and jam in recent days, I thought I could make some christmas gifts this year for my aunts and grandmas.  But what?

I saw a few good things on Nigella Christmas special, but that's it.

So what's your go-to for home made Christmas gifts which are relatively easy to put together?

Thanks.

#2 niggles

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

Afghan biscuits in a jar are my go-to food gift but I've always wanted to try those 'cake in a jar' mixes where you layer the dry ingredients and pop the rest of the instructions on a little label so people can make them fresh. I've seen them on lots of blogs and magazines and they look like a cute idea.

Lemon butter is pretty popular around here.

#3 José

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

This year I'm making cinnamon cookies using a Donna hay recipe. Last year it was chocolate truffles with a women's weekly recipe.

#4 Flaxen

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

I made this not long ago, to test for christmas gifts, and it was wonderful!
Easiest fudge ever and tastes so so good. The glucose syrup is found in the baking section, near the food colourings and sprinkles.

Liqueur Fudge

Melted butter, to grease
1 x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
100g butter, cubed
255g (1 1/4 cups) brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tbs glucose syrup
150g good-quality dark/milk chocolate, finely chopped
60ml (1/4 cup) Baileys Original Irish Cream liqueur  (I used Kahlua, im sure you could use lots of other flavors too like butterscotch, frangelico, strawberry ect....)

Method

Step 1
Brush a 20cm (base measurement) square cake pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line base and 2 opposite sides with non-stick baking paper, allowing it to overhang.

Step 2
Combine the condensed milk, butter, sugar and glucose syrup in a medium heavy-based saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat for 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring constantly, for 10-15 minutes or until mixture thickens, turns a caramel colour and leaves the side of pan. Remove from heat.

Step 3
Add the chocolate and liqueur, and stir until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Set aside for 1 hour to cool. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour or until firm.

Step 4
Remove fudge from pan, using the paper to help lift the fudge. Use a sharp knife to cut fudge into 24-30 equal portions.

#5 AmberNut

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

So far I have made some blackberry jam, dried apricot jam and some Christmas cakes. Next week I will make some tomato relish. The days before Christmas some chocolate fudge and some little chocolate biscuits.

I found a nice brownie-in-a-jar recipe here.....
http://www.magnoliarouge.com/2011/11/brownie-in-jar.html

#6 JackiOT

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

I have done fudge, truffles, caramels, shortbread and gingerbread biscuits.  They are great for neighbours etc and seem to be appreciated.

I was a bit interested in a hot chocolate mixture recipe I saw on pinterest  http://penniesonaplatter.com/2011/12/22/sa...-chocolate-mix/
and also caramel popcorn was another thought (but I did think I might end up eating it wink.gif ) http://www.twirlandtaste.com/2012/11/caram...oh-so-good.html

I would love someone to make me some interesting jam or lemon butter!

#7 3plusme

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

I am so impressed with what everyone is making!

Keep the suggestions coming!

#8 aussierach

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

i make for us rum balls, xmas balls for the kids, rocky road etc

this year I saw a recipe for lime macadamia fudge from 4 ingredients book thats I plan on trying original.gif

#9 butterflydreaming

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

So far I have made christmas cakes, strawberry/rhubarb jam, tomato sauce and mango chutney.

Still to make for this christmas are

Cherry Chutney
Peach jam
Shortbread
Rum balls
Chocolate truffles

All the food goods will be packaged up into gift hampers for the family, as well a foods I have made

Sugar scrub
Soap
Liquid soap
Lip gloss
Bath Salts

These will be packaged into little bathroom gift baskets for my females friends.

#10 WithSprinkles

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

butterflydreaming, do you mind sharing the recipe for cherry chutney? That sounds good!

Anyone got any suggestions for places to buy cheap jars?

#11 librablonde

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

I made Oreo truffle balls the other day and they were a mega hit. They're not too sweet and I dipped them in melted milk chocolate and then drizzled lines of white chocolate over the balls to finish them off. I think they taste much better the next day. So easy to make!
http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/oreo-...alls-L4933.html

#12 WithSprinkles

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

They sound delish librablonde. I've also heard of Tim Tam truffles...might have to give both a go!

#13 noi'mnot

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

I've been totally disorganised this year, and haven't even started on my Christmas gift cooking.

I'm planning on making:

Tomato Kasundi
Shortbread
Gingerbread men
Maybe some kind of confectionery like caramels? I'm not sure, suggestions welcome!
Maybe some biscotti

If anybody is in Melbourne, I can highly recommend Costante Imports for jars, and any other preserving and home cheese/wine/sausage/etc making needs! They're ace!

#14 Jenferal

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

I'm planning on making the nuts that are featured on the side of this site(Union Sq Nuts) and I bought a chocolate mould to make chocolate Christmas trees. I MIGHT try my hand at gingerbread caramels if I get time.
All mine need to be gluten free and I have a few dietary restrictions to keep in mind, which makes it difficult.

http://www.marthastewart.com/338994/gingerbread-caramels

Edited by Jenflea, 14 December 2012 - 08:17 AM.

#15 noi'mnot

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

Wow, those gingerbread caramels look amazing! What are you planning on using to wrap them individually, and where do you get it from?

The nuts are a good idea, too - simple and easy. I might make a few flavours and wrap them prettily as extra presents for the people that I forget about!  wink.gif

ETA: Oooh, Martha Stewart is good! Looking at the Pecan sea-salt drops and fruit jellies...

Edited by noi'mnot, 14 December 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#16 mumma_ox

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

No suggestions on where to buy cheap jars necessarily, but I often spray paint the lids of old jam jars and they look nice.  I think it complements a home-made gift that you are recycling and choosing a home-made packaging option too.

#17 Therese

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

Flaxen, that fudge sounds delicious!

#18 Jenferal

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

I was thinking cellophane to wrap the caramels, or waxed paper like an old fashioned taffy lolly.

#19 noi'mnot

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

So... please excuse me for asking an obvious question... just regular cellophane, like for wrapping presents (but clear)? Or is there special food cellophane?

#20 Bluenomi

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

I always make shortbread and even my less than perfect batches are devoured.

I just get cellophane bags from the newsagent, maybe add some mini chocolates and lots of ribbon and I'm done!

#21 WithSprinkles

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:38 PM

Ooh thanks for the Martha Stewart link. Those caramels look good.. I wonder if they are easy to make look that good!

#22 Missmarymack

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (mumma_ox @ 14/12/2012, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No suggestions on where to buy cheap jars necessarily, but I often spray paint the lids of old jam jars and they look nice.  I think it complements a home-made gift that you are recycling and choosing a home-made packaging option too.

I personally like to spend the whole year eating Bonne Mamman jam and saving the jars. They have a cute red gingham lid too that looks pretty Christmassy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Awkward grandparents

When Grandma and Grandpa pose for a snap with the kids, things can get very weird, very quickly.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.