Where will you deliver?
Home/BC/Public/Private

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Mumma_G

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Just wondering if any of you have thought where you will deliver your babes.

I have my name down at our local birth centre for their case load program, it sounds like I am already in providing that everything goes well but if for some reason I miss out I am thinking of going public but hiring a pirate midwife, thankfully where we live that is an option and they have practising rights at our local hospital.

#2 miss-petal

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

I'll be going private. My OBGYN works out of one particular private hospital on the Gold Coast so that'll be where I go. I'm quite glad honestly, I've heard some horror stories from the QLD public system.

#3 Mumma_G

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

I went public for DS 5 years ago because we didnt have private health, thankfully we didnt have any issues. We did look into going private and paying upfront but decided against it when they told us if there were any complication they'd pop me in ambulance and take me to the nearest public hospital anyway (teaching hospital with better equipment). I MC earlier this year and did my research up here. The information I got seemed to be the same. We only have 1 private and 1 public hospital and again it is a teaching hospital. Which is why we have decided that to go through the BC and Private midwife if that isnt available. I like that should I need it the cover is there but I am hoping not to have to use it. The other thing i dont like is our local private hospital and the ob/gyns that practise seem to have a preference toward c-sections and the rate is well above the state average which in itself is ridiculously high.

#4 living_bravely

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

I will be delivering at Mater Mothers Private in Brisbane.  I had DD there and my Ob works from there and I loved it!  Had the best experience with my C-section there.  Just beautiful!  I will be VBACing this time and I am so looking forward to it!  (crazy right! hehe!)biggrin.gif

I actually had my heart set on home birth with DD.  Then decided it would stress me out to much as I am pretty highly strung and would be worrying the entire time something would go wrong.  I then thought I would look in to the birth centre at RBH, but that is a ballot system that you don't find out if you get in until about 16 weeks and in the case that I didn't get in, the Ob I would have wanted would have been booked out.  Again, I am highly strung and a massive planner so that situation stressed me out as well.  So I booked in with a very pro natural birth Ob (who I love)  Luckily I didn't attempt a home birth as our daughter was breech with one leg up and one leg down.  A natural birth would have resulted in dislocated hips at the very least.  Little monkey still had shallow hips and had a little brace on from about 3days old until 6 weeks.  All sorted out now though.

#5 leebec

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

I'm going private at Kareena Private at Caringbah in Sydney. We can go to either there or St George Private but Kareena is only 15 mins from our house and the parking is so much easier. I had an Ob picked at each hospital and gave my husband the final say. Kareena was my preference. It will be so much easier for my husband as he won't be having anytime off when bub/s are born as we have our own business. He will have day of off as I will be having a c-section so we will know date but he will come after he finishes each day so Kareena is much better for him.

#6 ~*bumblebee*~

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

The only option here where I live is one Ob at the local hospitial. I will be having a c-sec (no choice here I'm afraid) and feel I'd like a obs like I did with DD however the closest place is Canberra which is a good 2-2.5 hr round trip which will be a PITA. But you have to do what you have to do hey.

I am still thinking about my local hospitial once my questions are asked I'll be able to make my decision.

Now I just have to pick my obs.

#7 ChickyMumma

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

I will have the same OB managing this pregnacy as I had for my boys.

We are public, will either deliver vaginally at our local hospital (almost 2 hour drive) scary thought with 6 and 4 hour labours. Both assisted and resusitation for DS2.

OR in the event of a CS we will either stay with our local hospital or Womens and Childrens in Adelaide. It will depend on babies size and any risks in pregnancy.

#8 julies1980

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

lucky i rang the local hospital (public) near me as they said they are very full for july, so they are sending out paperwork out today.... and get back to the asap otherwise i have to go the other side of town which is a 40 min drive  ffear.gif ....
coming from a country town to a city to have a baby.. i'll choose the closer one thanks....

the other reason is that private or public is really the same and the local hospital has just been done up in maternity which is even better.  eexcite.gif  if i have issues i would go private but i only had labour issues (emg c Section) im going public.

#9 Speshelle

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

I'm so relieved to be booked at the Werribee Mercy (public patient). They have been in the media recently for knocking back heaps of women despite recently doubling their capacity.

My first daughter was born there and the care was fantastic. I ended up staying 5 days, in the labour suite with my husband.

Its shared care between the midwives and the Ob. When labouring it was 1 midwife to 1 patient. Couldn't have felt more safe. I also struggled with breastfeeding and the lactation consultants were right on it, including 2 breast feeding day stays after being discharged.

I am very happy with my decision

#10 Starposs

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

We live in east Gippsland, Victoria which is 3.5 hours away from Melbourne. We don't have a private hospital. Our local hospital is 20 minutes away, however because I'm a high risk pregnancy (I have systemic lupus), I can't give birth there. Initially with my first pregnancy, my rheumatologist sent me to Monash in Clayton and I saw Dr Tippett. Had to go there once a month, until 20 weeks then was meant to go every fortnight but because my pregnancy was going so well and everytjing was much better than expected they said I could have baby at Sale Hospital (an hour away). I saw a private Ob, but went public at hospital. It was fantastic. I would live to be able to have this bub at our local hospital but my rheumi won't allow it so providing everything goes well, ill be having this one at sale hospital too. If there are any complications ill be sent to Monash again. Fingers crossed all goes as smoothly as it did the first time.

#11 mindy81

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Hey guys,
Congrats on all the wonderful expected August babies! I am due to have #4 on 7th August. I have just moved to East Gippsland last month. Will be going public at Bairnsdale Hospital original.gif I had all my other bubbas in regional public hospitals and had really good experiences!

#12 satiress

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

I'll be having bubs at the same hospital as my other 3 with the same ob. So that's North Shore Private in Sydney original.gif

#13 steffijade81

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

If all ends up well with this pregnancy we will be going privately. Im high risk and have to have a c section. My DD was footling breech, so one leg down the birth canal pressing on the cord. Very scary experience I do not wish to have repeated so hopefully things go smootly this time.

#14 Izzibeach

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hi everyone,

This is my first and I will be going private and having it at St John of God Subi.

I can't believe how early you have to book to get into a Ob, when I called she said I would just get in.

Edited by Izzibeach, 07 December 2012 - 09:17 PM.

#15 LO123

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Hi Ladies, I will be going to Norwest Private. Same as my first, I just hope my Ob is actually there this time....

#16 LumpySpacePrincess

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

Im booked in at flinders medical centre at their midwifery led birthing centre. They hav a midwifery group practice so i will see the same midwife at each appt and they hav the birthing suites set up like bedrooms with birthing tubs and queen beds to make it more comfortable. I went thru the midwifery group practice at the womans and childrens with DD and i liked the idea but didnt hav a very good birthing experience due to having an incompetent midwife who allowed me to go nearly 4 weeks over and gave me castor oil which resulted in bub passing meconuim weeks prior to me going into labor and only after 3 days of labor did she suggest getting a doctor to break my water to get things progressing which ended in a c-section due to the high risk of bub ingesting the meconium. Im not zoned for that hospital this time thankfully and hav only heard great things about flinders midwifery group practice.

Edited by chloesmum2008, 07 December 2012 - 11:03 PM.

#17 knottygirl

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (living_bravely @ 03/12/2012, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will be delivering at Mater Mothers Private in Brisbane. I had DD there and my Ob works from there and I loved it! Had the best experience with my C-section there. Just beautiful! I will be VBACing this time and I am so looking forward to it! (crazy right! hehe!) biggrin.gif

Im going to the mater mothers private too, i had both my sons their and they were really great!  Who is your ob living bravely?  I use dr cattanach

well im hoping to go there, havent booked in yet!

#18 abbieblue

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:49 AM

I just found out that our FS only delivers at Newcastle Private, so that looks to be where I'll be heading.  It's an hour drive from home which I'm concerned about - but we'll cross that bridge when we get there original.gif

QUOTE (leebec @ 03/12/2012, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm going private at Kareena Private at Caringbah in Sydney. We can go to either there or St George Private but Kareena is only 15 mins from our house and the parking is so much easier. I had an Ob picked at each hospital and gave my husband the final say. Kareena was my preference. It will be so much easier for my husband as he won't be having anytime off when bub/s are born as we have our own business. He will have day of off as I will be having a c-section so we will know date but he will come after he finishes each day so Kareena is much better for him.

Hi leebec, Just wondering out of curiousity which Ob you have picked at Kareena.  We have just moved from that area and I always thought I would be having my baby at Kareena - such a nice hospital & staff.

#19 briandrea

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

I had both my children at the RBWH Birth Centre here is Brisbane. I considered a homebirth both times but both times the cost was too much (the BC is free apart from parking) and we were very seriously considering a homebirth for this baby but since we are losing about 3K on our canceling our flights (see my post in the main thread) thats over half what the homebirth would cost here so I doubt that will happen now. We'll see. I would really, really love to have my next baby at home surrounded by my family and children. It may be my last baby and I would love to have an even more special experience this time. Can't wait to give birth again!

#20 Smileyhappy

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hopefully going to Kareena Hospital too Leebec. I did have DS at Sutherland (public) but have health insurance this time so will be good to compare the two experiences.

#21 Kbow

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (satiress @ 04/12/2012, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll be having bubs at the same hospital as my other 3 with the same ob. So that's North Shore Private in Sydney original.gif

Hi! We're considering North Shore Private as well. We're just moved to Australia in June and this is our first baby, so all of this is very new to us. Can you tell me who your OB is? I have my appointment with a GP tomorrow so that I can get a referral.

Thanks!

#22 shelly1170

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

I delivered both my girls at North Shore Private.  Loved the hospital and my obs!

this time around is a bit tricky!  I have conceived via IVF in Thailand.  We are hoping to move back to Papua New Guinea in January, where we have lived for the last 2 1/2 years.  If we do, I will deliver at Cairns Base Hospital.

But there is always the possibility I will be somewhere else so  plans may change.

#23 Tarantara

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

I am hoping to be able to go to the same hospital where I had my son. My OB was on holidays for my birth, and I'm hoping to be able to have the wonderful woman who actually did my delivery instead this time, but I'm not sure if she has patients as she is a mum with young kids.

I'm also going to need to do some quick scrambling to see if we can actually afford all the out of pocket expenses this time. Having been on mat leave for 12 months doesn't really help my finances.

#24 kazzy84

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

I will be giving birth at Sutherland public, would have liked to go private but bubs caught us by surprise before we added pregnancy to our private health cover. Friends and family have given birth in sutherland public and all have had good experiences. My first appointment with the midwives is 13th Feb

#25 emelsy

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

I'm booked in to the birth centre at RPA.
Was booked there for DS but had to go to maternity ward because muconium (sp) in waters.
I'm thinking about hiring a doula.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.