39c this Tuesday and school

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 aprilrain

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

Visit My Websitehttp://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/record-queensland-temperatures-tipped-as-summer-sends-heatwave-across-the-state/story-e6freoof-1226528630862

What does your school have in place to help children and teachers cope with a day like this? My 6yo is in the hottest classroom in the school due to bad design. Where the breeze would come off the coast is a two storey brick wall! No A/C as is a state school in Brisbane.

I feel ridiculous asking the teacher if she wants us to keep them home and cool if possible, but at this time of year (last two weeks of school) they may be still doing assessment.

Are you local? Are you sending yours with lots of frozen drinks and instructions to wet their head? Am I being mean if I send her?

Edited by aprilrain, 03 December 2012 - 09:41 AM.

#2 BetteBoop

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

I'm probably going to keep DD home. She's 5 and in prep and there is no air con in her class.

As far as I know, they're just having fun at this time of year. None of her homework folders came home on Friday.

#3 aprilrain

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for replying. Now you mention it, DD said something about reading folders are done for the year.

#4 Therese

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

I would probably keep her home if you could.  I know neither of my girls would cope well with heat like that.

#5 *Lib*

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

Our kids are on holidays, the vacation care place have air cond, so I hope they have it on!!

#6 PrincessPeach

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

If they still predict that tonight I'd keep them home - 39 degrees in a classroom is not pleasant & if they do go to school I doubt the teachers will be teaching lessons (unless their classrooms are air-conditioned).

Just checked the BoM's website & thankfully it looks like Wednesday will be the last day of silly hot for us here in the SE, with Tuesday to be the worst of it.

#7 aprilrain

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

Thanks. With all the 'send to school without doubt' threads am wondering what is wise.

I spent 10 years about 100km inland and it was always hotter in summer than Bris, but we never took days off for it. I think it was only about 35c though. We would wet our shirts/hair and didn't have water bottles in class and I don't remember it being an issue, even having to walk home. Dancing up and down on the parade ground in our bare feet laugh.gif

The 70's...sigh....think my blood was thinner then!

#8 PrincessPeach

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

Brisbane doesn't get this hot that often - actually we seem to rarely crack 34 degrees in summer of late!

#9 winkywonkeydonkey

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:17 AM

I would send your dd. If things get too hot they will probably go to library or something too cool down( if it has aircon)  biggrin.gif  I remember going to school 40 degrees plus with no aircon or fans.
oh the sticky sweat all over the plastic chairs. and we werent allowed water bottles in the classroom!

#10 Julie3Girls

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

I'd probably be tempted to have a casual word with the teacher, just find out what they actually do with the kids when it gets that hot.

I know before our school had airconditioning in all the classrooms, on the occasional day when hit those sorts of temperatures, the classes without air con would usually be in the library, or the AV room.

If things seemed reasonable (Drinks allowed, one teacher I know would spray the kids with water, any possibility of being out of the heat), then I'd send her. If the teacher was more of the attitude of being perfectly happy to have them stay home, then I'd keep them home.

#11 BobTony

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:49 AM

Urgh, 39 degrees in humid Brisbane. The worst day of my life was spent in Brisbane on a 37 degree day with about 90% humidity. If you can keep her home, I would.

#12 ~mouse~

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

I spoke to a couple of teachers at our school this morning. They'll be keeping the kids inside in the aircon for most of the day. They already allow drink bottles in the classroom, and I know they won't hesitate to use spray bottles of water and whatever they can think of to keep cool.

#13 akkiandmalli

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

last week in Melbourne we had 39c. it was horrid. our school called a hot day timetable ( kids kept inside). i think vic schools are different though most state schools have A/C and fans. the day was wasted in terms of work production.. children just did busy work so that they werent bored and plenty of water..

#14 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

DS is at kindy today and will be going tommorrow, they do water play outside before about 10.30/11.00 and then keep them inside in the AC after that, DS state school (in Brisbane) that he is going to in Feb has AC in all the classrooms?

Do they have fans in her classroom OP, those can help a bit.

#15 aprilrain

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Her teacher is quite happy for them to be absent as only prep, small library and tiny computer room are A/C. It will just be 'busy' work tomorrow though she still plans to teach up until the end of school. We are near bushland too, and this is the sort of weather the firebugs seem to come out. Hot and smokey. Yuk! aannoyed.gif

#16 eboyd

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

I sent DS to school last week in Melbourne 39 degree day. He ended up with what I think was heat exhaustion and vomiting. Next day we kept him home to recover even though he was fine (school rules 24 hours without vomiting b4 they can return).

Next hot day I will be keeping him home!!

#17 aprilrain

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

This is what worries me. Easy to tell children to stay in the shade and not run around. Not so easy to make sure they do it. Some of these teachers don't look up to coping  in this heat themselves let alone chasing children around in it.

#18 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

I'm sending my grade 2 child tomorrow. Never thought of keeping her home. And 2 year old is going to the Daycare mum.

There is no way DD would miss out on school because it's the last week of school and she doesn't want to miss out on the fun. lol

The teachers will look after the kids and keep them cool.

#19 Kalota

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

On a day last week it was 40 degrees at my school - the power went out and we had no air-con. It was awful. A few parents picked their kids up early which, as a teacher, I didn't mind at all. We didn't get much learning done at all that afternoon sad.gif (or so it felt, anyway!) I had no qualms with the parents who picked their kids up early as 40 degrees and no air-con was just so uncomfortable and horrid. Children weren't feeling well either, heat exhaustion is not nice.

ETA: We also don't have any shade in our playground due to building works. I sacrificed my lunchtime to keep the kids inside where it was mildly cooler!

Edited by Kalota, 03 December 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#20 Ritaroo

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 03/12/2012, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as I know, they're just having fun at this time of year. None of her homework folders came home on Friday.

We have had strict instructions from higher powers that learning will still have to be taking place right up until the last day, even in prep.

#21 FreeRangeMum

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

My prep DD will be going (but her classroom is air conditioned!). I couldn't keep her home if I wanted to as its her last day (catholic school!!)

#22 BetteBoop

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (Mar81got @ 03/12/2012, 06:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have had strict instructions from higher powers that learning will still have to be taking place right up until the last day, even in prep.

Yes, I got her folders today. The teacher told me today that she'd just forgotten them.

DD is still having the day off tomorrow.

#23 2bundles

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

I spoke to DS' principal yesterday and she said their wont be any outside play and to bring drink bottles.

I asked if I should keep him home but she didn't think that was necessary.

Turns out he has vomited thismorning, so home he stays.

#24 jofisk

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

We had a 40 degree day yesterday here in Perth and we still have to send our kids to school.  DD2 is currently doing interm swimming, but in an outdoor pool just after lunch, so she came home burnt was told to take off her t-shirt and she didn't have time to put on sunscreen.  

We regularly get over 38 degrees here, but usually in Feb/March.  Most Perth schools are air-conditioned, but in DD2 class this year they couldn't use the air con, or the half school would be without power.  This took 10 weeks to sort out. They allowed the students to have water games in the undercover area, they were dry by the time school finished.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.