Going to sleep issues
Stopping thumbsucking

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mibi

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

DS7 and DS5 are thumbsuckers. DS7 is much more "attached" to his thumb (if he's not doing something with his hands, he is sucking his thumb) DS5 is not too bad - mostly watching TV and going to sleep. But after getting a $6000 quote for DS7's orthodontics, we are going tough with using thumbguards in a bid to stop the thumbsucking. I know it's a bit late for DS7, but we are hoping we can get DS5 to stop before it's too late.

The problem is the boys share a room and since we have been using the thumbguards, the boys have been beyond TERRIBLE with going to bed. PReviously they have always been great. Hardly ever had any issues with them coming back out, or not settling down. Now they seem to think every night is a slumber party, and are up talking, laughing, making their bedroom into forts, just mostly mucking around. I figure they just need some time to work out new ways to settle themselves down, but they are just driving me nuts. And their daytime behaviour is becoming worse and worse because they are both overtired. And of course, DS7, who has always been an early riser (6-6:30am) is now waking up at 5-5:30am, so he is losing sleep at both ends. We do read stories and have a chat and a prayer at bedtime together and then I tuck them in, and previously they would settle down and be asleep within 10minutes. Now its taking 2+hours.

So does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to help them establish new winddown/self-settling techniques????

#2 niggles

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

I'd suggest a reward for learning to go to sleep nicely with the new thumbguards. It's a big habit to break and some motivation might help. Let them each choose something they can have after two weeks perhaps?

My DD gave up her dummy recently at 4 years old for the promise of her favourite Transformer (see Laserbeak below wink.gif). Because she's still quite young we gave her a magic crystal she could hold on to and laid with her for the first few nights helping her concentrate on her breathing to relax. We gave her a reward after her first nap, then after her first night without a dummy and then another one after a week without it. Each of these little milestones made her feel more confident that she could sleep without it. She was quite distressed the first night thinking she couldn't do it but by the second night she was really proud of herself and just needed a bit of extra comfort.

My niece gave up her thumb at closer to your boys' ages with the thought of a new bicycle at the end of the process. My sister sat with her and held onto her hands for the first week to help her get through it.

Good luck with it.

#3 Liadan

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

Have you thought of giving them a comfort item to replace the one that you "took away"?

Worked for my sister for her boys.

don't belong here, came in through recent topics

Edited by Liadan, 03 December 2012 - 12:15 AM.

#4 mibi

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:59 PM

DS7 has 2 rewards going. They get a stamp on their reward chart in the morning if they have a good night. This reward chart is used for everything (good behaviour, doing chores, doing extra jobs) and every 10 stamps they choose something out of the reward box. When they get 50 they can choose a big reward. When they finish the chart (100) they get a really big reward. They are nearly up to 80 and when they get to 100 they get skylanders, which they are both hanging out to play. DS7 also has a reward chart with his speech pathologist and also the promise of a double sided light sabre from us when he gives up his thumb altogether.

They both also have special soft toys they take to bed, although these are strongly associated with the thumbsucking. DS5 only sucks his thumb when he has his special bear.

Of course tonight I had a meeting so DH put them to bed and they were fine for him. Typical! Although DS7 managed to get his thumb free so that probably helped.

#5 Domestic Goddess

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (Liadan @ 03/12/2012, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you thought of giving them a comfort item to replace the one that you "took away"?

Worked for my sister for her boys.

don't belong here, came in through recent topics

THIS ^^

I was thinking the same. My DS used to suck and chew on many old t-shirts of mine. Never sucked his thumb and never had a dummy. Being breastfed  for 15 months, he just loved the smell of mums skin close to him. It turned into a full on habit for over 1,5 year and recently he started waking up at night asking for a drink because sucking and chewing the dry and rough fabric gave him a dry mouth.
So I replaced the shirts with a "chewy tube" that I bought from http://www.sensorytools.com.au

He has taken well to it and now no longer wakes up with a dry mouth. He even has had a few nights without anything now, so hopefully this means he no longer needs these aids to sleep.

#6 mibi

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

THANK YOU Domestic Goddess for that link. A friend of mine has been talking to me about "the traffic jam in my brain" i just hadnt had a chance to check out the site.

She has done a couple of the seminars-she has a SN son and we often talk because her son has is very similar to DS7, although we've never had a diagnosis of any SN for DS. He does have some "eccentricities" and the thumbsucking is part of an overall oral fixation.

Edited by mibi, 03 December 2012 - 10:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a copy of 'Breakfast, School Run, Chemo'

To celebrate the launch of EB member and contributor Julia's Watson's first book, we have five copies of Breakfast, School Run, Chemo give away.

Electronic tags may keep newborns safe

The possibility of using electronic bracelets for mothers and their newborn babies is being investigated by Adelaide's Women's and Children's Hospital. 

Baby steps: when your little one starts walking

As a parent there are so many milestones to look forward to. That first smile, first word - and, of course, that first step.

Julia Watson's new book 'Breakfast, School Run, Chemo'

Tomorrow my friend Julia launches her first book. And while we're all overjoyed, the success is tinged with sadness. You see, Julia has stage 4 bowel cancer.

How not to name twins

Call me boring, but I don't think that when it comes to choosing my twins' names is the right time to use a good pun.

Fun Sunny Life pool inflatables just for babies

The babies of 2015 will thus be thrilled to paddle their happy baby legs in these brand new flamingo and swan baby inflatables.

Breastfeeding basics for beginners

Here are 10 tips to help make breastfeeding successful and stress free for both you and your baby as quickly as possible.

Girl smothers baby brother with peanut butter

This mum had a big clean up job on her hands.

How to hide those under eye shadows

Pandas are the only ones who benefit from under-eye shadows. If you're not fluffy and cute, you'll just look tired.

Young mum dies after being denied pap smear

A mother has died after she was denied a pap smear because she was deemed "too young" to need it.

Birthday cakes banned at childcare centre

A childcare centre in Sydney has banned birthday cakes after parent complaints about excessive sugar and children with allergies being left out.

Triplet surprise for newlyweds

As the radiographer moved the wand over her abdomen, Shelley King got the surprise of her life.

3 yummy Thermomix baby and toddler recipes

Louise Fulton Keats shares her recipes for babies and toddlers, including corn and sweet pikelets, pumpkin and pea risotto, and cheesy bunny biscuits.

Man arrested over toddler Nikki's death

A 31-year-old man has been arrested over the death of two-year-old Nikki Francis-Coslovich in Mildura.

Adoption ban on pregnant women to be lifted

Pregnant women will no longer be barred from adoption waiting lists in NSW, after the Baird Government decided the practice was discriminatory.

Are you getting enough magnesium?

Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body, but we don't talk enough about it and the vital role it plays in great health and energy, as well as disease prevention.

5 workplace lessons for new parents

Take heart in these principles that will transfer seamlessly from the workplace into your new life as a parent.

Mums to follow on Instagram

A creative outlet for many, there are some savvy women complementing their blogs and businesses with riveting Instagrams feeds. We've chosen a few which have bucketloads of appeal; there are some big time players and some smaller local ones, and they each bring their special brand of magic to the Instagram experience.

Review: The Volvo 2015 XC90 SUV has all the safety features your family needs

The new Volvo XC90 SUV's focus on keeping you safe does not come at the expense of comfort in the XC90.

Kim Kardashian reveals she may have hysterectomy

Kim Kardashian has revealed complications during pregnancy means she might have to have a hysterectomy after the birth of her second child.

Why late night snacks wreak havoc on weight loss

Loath as you may be to admit it, chances are that at some point you have found yourself in the kitchen late at night, devouring food.

Toddler twins pretend to be asleep to fool mum

They say twins have a unique connection. If this cute clip is anything to go by, these toddler sisters like to use their special bond to try to fool their mother.

Dad bags: 10 picks for out and about

Getting out of the house is a big priority in the early years of parenthood and you need to take a well-stocked kit with you. We've chosen 10 of the best nappy bags sure to appeal to dads in style and function.

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Dads who do their share have more sex: study

For women trying to encourage their partners to take more interest in fatherhood, it could be the ultimate incentive.

Think you might have IBS, coeliac disease or Crohn's?

Conditions affecting the gastrointestinal tract are common in modern humans, and many are on the rise - including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and coeliac disease.

Couple poses for newborn shoot with adorable puppy

Tired of being asked about their baby-making plans, Australian couple Matt and Abby decided to give a creative answer.

The exercises you know you should be doing (but probably aren't)

I bet your to-do list today is long. But somewhere on that massive list, are you making time for your pelvic floor?

This baby really loves the family cat

Some babies get excited when mum or dad come to get them from their cot after a nap.

Designer kids clothing good enough to eat by Oeuf

Even if you aren't heading to the Northern hemisphere in the next six months, you can't help but love the amazing food-themed knits for babies and kids by cult kids brand Oeuf.

Early exposure to peanuts recommended for allergy prevention

A paediatricians' group is recommending that infants at high risk of peanut allergies be given foods containing peanuts before they turn one.

Home brand foods contain less salt than pricier rivals

Supermarket home brand foods, long derided as cheap and inferior, contain far lower levels of salt than pricier, branded rivals, new research shows.

Nannies for hire, wherever you're flying

Ever dreaded the prospect of a long flight, dreaming about how wonderful it would be for a nanny to entertain the kids?

Couple poses for newborn shoot with adorable puppy

Tired of being asked about their baby-making plans, Australian couple Matt and Abby decided to give a creative answer: with an unusual photo shoot with their 'baby', a groodle (poodle/golden retriever cross) named Humphrey. The talented Elisha from Elisha Minnette Photography caught all the precious shots.

Is it okay to name your baby with a sense of humour?

My husband was sure that Danger was a good option for a boy. And as the pregnancy progressed, it actually started to sound really good.

Woman gives birth after having her own mother's uterus transplanted

In a world first, a healthy baby has been born from the same womb that nurtured his own mother.

So hot right now: double-barrelled baby names on the rise

It's one way to make your baby stand out from the pack – giving them not one, but two first names.

Second time around: is it really better the devil you know?

When I fell pregnant with my second child I was, naturally, very excited. Then it all started to come back to me - and I freaked.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

How did we have babies before apps came along?

Three months ago, my wife, Chrysta, and I were driving along Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles when she let out a harrowing cry.

When your toddler disagrees

There comes a time when your child starts having different views to you. I didn't realise that time would come so soon.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

FREE TICKET

Discover the magic of the LEGOŽ DUPLOŽ Play Area in Sydney

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.