Are you glad you had your 2nd?
For those that were umming and ahhing

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 ~Peaches~

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Yes definitely glad.

DD2 has been a very difficult baby and child (she's now 18 months), and after having DD1 who was a complete angel and the easiest baby, we were certainly shocked and wondered what the hell we'd gotten ourselves into! It didn't help that we only had a 15 month age gap, so things were certainly hectic at our place for a while.
But now that DD2 is getting much better and happier and getting a bit of independence, it's been amazing. They absolutely ADORE each other, they do everything together and all day long all I hear is them playing their funny little games and giggling their heads off wub.gif It's made every hard day worth it to me, and I absolutely love how close they are. We're going to be TTC again next year, so as hard as DD2 has been, obviously it can't have been too bad as we're wanting to go again now laughing2.gif  

QUOTE (chillibean @ 02/12/2012, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I feel like I have got better at the whole parenting lark and would vaguely, possibly consider no.3.  But I suspect DD2 is the decoy angel baby to lull us into a false sense of security to have a third who would probably be the devil incarnate!

I am holding out all hope that there is a possiblilty number 3 will be an angel again like DD1! DD1 was definitely the decoy baby to lull us into thinking this whole parenting thing was easy and that we totally knew what we were doing. DD2 sure gave us a big wake up call blink.gif I'm hoping our third will at least be somewhere in between if we've already used up our angel baby quota lol.

#27 jobo77

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

I was pretty sure we wanted another one after DD but DH wasn't sure and was umming over it when DS decided the time was right, ready or not - we couldn't imagine life without him now  original.gif  They are 23 months apart and although DS is an utter delight, its the bond between them and watching their relationship develop that is the best thing for us about having more than 1. No more for us though!

#28 FiFiLicious

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

I have a Dd and now a DS. They are 5 yrs apart because I ummed for a while and then it took ages to conceive. I really really wanted another girl so decided to have a baby when I just wanted a baby.
Seriously? My son has been hard hard hard.  
He was premature (32weeks) born with a cleft lip,
has had 2 surgeries and 3 overnight hospy visits ( not including mine for mastitis)  outside of his tenure at SCU  or NCC.
His sleeping was ordinary and feeding was inefficient at best due to cleft.  
He then refused breast after his cleft op which was so sad for me as I was really looking fwd to a nice bfeeding relationship post cleft op! Not to be.
Recovery from the operations was complete hell, I could not go through it again I don't think!

When I found out at 20 week scan that DS had a cleft ( and, anything beyond that was unknown) I really had regrets abt # 2. I thought, " typical, given he's a boy - they are just trouble from day 1! "

DS came out " naturally" ( I had planned a full termish CS) at 1.5 kg and I was smitten. Any regrets vanished and my instinct to protect this tiny tiny baby ( my baby!!) was all I wanted to do. ( and did do )
OMG, at now 6 months ( 4 mths  corrected) he is the most awesome thing I have created. I love Dd, she is also pretty perfect, but a daddy's girl through and through. My son has only eyes for me and quite frankly, it's so unfamiliar but wonderful.  So while DD and I have that girly connect where we love to hang out, get nails done, play barbie etc ( all the stuff I love to do) I look forward to finding that same niche with my son.  My number 2 belongs to our family.  It's like he's always been here!

If you have the niggle, I say do it for sure, don't delay!! ( although a 5 yr gap is pretty good for me )

#29 NotBitzerMaloney

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Yes. Totally different - and by that I mean better - second time around.
BUT... Thank goodness it was a five year age gap.
I had wanted close together, but in hindsight that would likely have caused me to have a breakdown!
The age gap is actually great

#30 mirj2

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

We always knew we wanted more than 1 child but DD arrived a little earlier than planned which is why my pair are 23months apart.

Although it was challenging (due to DS1 special needs plus day to day challenges) it was also rewarding and they are best friends, 2 peas in a pod and I cannot imagine my life any different.

#31 littleboysmum

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

So glad I can't even begin to describe it (though I'll try!). Both DS and DD have been hard refluxy babies it has been much easier second time around, even though DD has probably been harder. Although I've been more tired this time due to having an energetic toddler to wrangle as well as a newborn, it's been more general tiredness, rather than new parent anxiety.
DS loves his baby sister and has had zero issues adjusting to having to share his parents with her (although a difficult baby, DS is a fairly easygoing and utterly delightful toddler...well...most days!). Towards the end of my second pregnancy I started to worry about how I'd cope again and about the birth etc but i needn't have worried as DD's birth and my recovery were so much easier than DS's. DD brings me pure joy. She is just starting to laugh out loud and to make funny noises. I feel very lucky and some days even consider that number 3 might be a possibility....

#32 Natttmumm

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

we didnt um and ahh about having number 2 as we were sure we wanted another. She was the best thing I did. Placid little baby that slept all night, adorable 2 yr old (fiesty 3 yr old). It was so refreshing after DD1 being the opposite and being hard work from birth. DD2 restored my confidence in my parenting. She may also be the reason we are having number 3 soon (which we did um and ahh over).

#33 Lokum

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

No 2 is only 2 weeks old, but I'm pretty pleased, and pretty sure we're keeping him.

DH was really pressured into #2 by me, but at only 2 weeks old, has been asking me questions about the odds of a girl if we went back for more, and double checking if we have any embryos in the freezer (we don't.)

Suffice to say, I think he's pretty into our darling DS2 as well!

#34 Charli73

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:30 AM

Very glad, we always wanted at least two and with a 15 months gap in between DS and DS its hard work but after the hard work DS was to put to sleep DD is a dream! Maybe I'm more relaxed but everything just seems easier, not as stressed over sleeps etc but I'm so lucky we had her even if I was unsure at the start..

#35 CupOfCoffee

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:43 AM

Everyday we feel lucky to have our two, however, if our second had been our first, we would only have had one (and is one of the reasons we are stopping at 2).

My son (14) is easy going, compliant, bright, funny, just generally an ideal child (you could have 20 of him and parenting would still be easy).

My daughter (nearly 4) is a tornado... she had colic, reflux, she has asthma, eczema, food senstitivities.  She has tantrums that go on for hours.  She is contrary and opinionated.  But she is also the most hilarious, wonderful, warm, full of life, intense little human ever. (So as much as we love her, I don't know if our household would survive two of her).

I obviously didn't get better at this parenting gig blush.gif

#36 R2B2

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

This morning she is testing every last little bit of patience I have - but in saying that, Yes, I am VERY glad we made the choice to have her.
she is such a little character, I cant imagine the house without her!

and i'm even more glad that number 3 took it upon herself to join us wink.gif

#37 Chchgirl

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

Yes definitely! I wasn't going to have another, my girls are three years and one month apart, they are now 14 and 11, the only thing I wish is that I had another one or two!

#38 winkywonkeydonkey

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

yes of course.

Even though i had to endure months and months of Hyperemisis hell and begged to die.
Even though she is a bad sleeper and i havent had a full nights sleep in 2+ years

If she were to die tomorrow i would be lost.

So of course I'm glad for all my children. They are blessings.

#39 tiggy2

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

Yes, so much so that we had no.3!

The first two are 6 and nearly 3 and their relationship is just beautiful. They get so much joy from each other, DH and I are constantly thankful we were able to give them that sibling experience. I know not all siblings get along but ours just adore each other.

They are also completely different personalities and we enjoy that too.
I found the 3 year gap great and easy to manage.

Edited by tiggy2, 15 December 2012 - 09:18 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Daycare death shows licensing need

A baby's tragic death in a family daycare centre has underlined a need for better licensing laws in the US.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.