Has anyone actually been made homeless as a family?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Has anyone on EB actually been made homeless?

We've got 8 weeks to find somewhere to live. Whilst we're applying for a house, if this one falls through and there are no rentals I'm not sure what we'll do. We'd have to accept to move somewhere further away I suppose, or I'd go on a holiday somewhere with the kids until DH finds us somewhere to live.

Has anyone actually faced this, and what happened?

I know I shouldn't think of the worst - I'm trying to be positive and we're exhausting our options. But I have to also consider all options. It is really not a good time for us to move, and we don't have a choice because the landlord is moving back in.

I really don't want to move off the mountain, as I do not want to change the kids schooling again. At worst I guess we could drive up every day but it would hurt cost wise (due to petrol costs) and hurt doing so emotionally too. But we'd do what we do I guess.

Just 8 weeks seems so little (and counting down every day!).

I cannot wait until the next week to come to an end...

Edited by Katakacpk, 02 December 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#2 Heather11

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Is there a caravan park nearby with onsite cabins?  You can put your stuff in storage and have a little holiday.  It may buy you some more time.

#3 MintyBiscuit

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:32 PM

Sort of.

When I was a teenager (year 9 at school, so around 13/14), my family was renting and were evicted, and couldn't get another rental. We were a family of two adults, four children. Myself and my two younger sisters ended up living with my grandparents for a while, my elder sister who was out of school by then was staying with a friend and her parents, and my parents managed to find a dodgy one bedder to live in.

This was an eviction due to non payment of rent situation, so vastly different from what you're facing. It sucked, but it wasn't the end of the world. My commute to school stayed much the same timewise, just in a different direction. My younger sisters had to catch a two buses and a train, instead of two buses. It was for about a six month period.

I'm not sure where you live or the ages of your kids, but would public transport be an option if you could find somewhere a bit further from school? Or are there short term options where you could take a 3-6 month lease, or a month by month, while you look for something more suitable?

Sorry you're in this position. Renting sucks

Edited by HollyOllyOxenfree, 02 December 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#4 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

Nothing like that around here at all. I also run several businesses from home. At worst I guess I'd have to close them for a number of weeks to get them through. That's also why it is so hard!! I can't just up and leave so easily. Everything is tied to living in the area we do. I got a PO Box address to help this, but it is still 'up here' so to move off would mean changing a LOT of paperwork, information and all my advertising materials as well. It is a PITA to be honest. I thought this would be a long term rental, but hey I thought that about the last place too. In both cases landlords changed their minds. I wish Australian rentals has some sort of security. It cost a fortune to move. Not to mention the emotional rollercoaster. I probably just need to stay more positive.

#5 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

There really isn't anything appropriate for rent up here at all (at the moment at least... doesn't mean something won't come on I guess but it probably means there are lots of others looking as well) Only off the mountain which is what we'd need to do I guess if we had to (our next step if we can't find anything in the next few weeks). I really don't want to leave here. As said applying for a house but we are running out of time, if it falls through and loan and offer doesn't work, we are a bit stuck coz we are running out of settlement time as well.

#6 MintyBiscuit

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

Just had another thought - again, I don't know your area and family situation. But is there any chance you can make up a little rental resume type thing and get it to the local real estates? Maybe just some info about amount of people, area you're looking at, price range etc. I have no idea if it would work or not, but you might just be lucky and stumble across a property manager with something suitable.

#7 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

I tried! lol. The agent I called the other day - said they can't help me but to jump on real estate .com.au yeah I'm there already love. The other is our current and knows our situation so knows to call. There are only 2 that service rentals up here. The rest are off the mountain. There are other places to live. But it would mean we have to make a decision to live somewhere else. And we've spent 3 years establishing friendships after a move interstate, the kids are finally settled, I've got friends, we know everyone. We just love it here :-(

If we do get a house (ie buy one) I'm going to get drunk for the first time in my life ;-P

Edited by Katakacpk, 02 December 2012 - 04:39 PM.

#8 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Anyway. I guess we've still got about 3 weeks before it does start to stress us out! A lot can happen within 3 weeks.

#9 Bobsygirls

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

Could you get a 6 month lease on a flat or something hide ou keep looking?

#10 liveworkplay

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'm sorry, but it it were me having to decided about moving area and homelessness, I would be moving. I cant believe you are even contemplating it.

#11 Heather11

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:45 PM

It was suggested to another poster in a similar situation to try Gumtree for a private rental.

#12 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

Its not that easy PP. You know we've now moved 7 times in 8 years (sorry thought it was 8, but think it is actually 7 will be this move...). When people ask where I live sometimes I forget and I can't remember what street I currently live in at what address. Some through our choice some bad mistakes and a money pit, others just pure bad luck. In any case we've spent well and truly more than a large house deposit on moving costs and I'm completely sick of it. It is what it is... but I've had enough. To contemplate relocating to a new area, resettling just for a short term, then having to move all over again. I know it may have to be the way but the thought of it depresses me and I'd rather go on extended 'holiday' homeless and wait until something appropriate turns up where in the area we live now (and there are about 8 suburbs/areas in that area... we aren't limiting it to one) than to start life all over again, just to restart it again at another time.

Edited by Katakacpk, 02 December 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#13 casime

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Not finding a house in the exact area you want to live is not homelessness.   Choosing to stay in holiday accommodation whilst househunting is not homelessness.   Living in your car because you can't afford a home is homelessness.    Whilst your situation is stressful (I've been there)l, it's by no means the worst case scenario that many families are facing.   You have decisions to make, but you do still have choices.

#14 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE (casime @ 02/12/2012, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not finding a house in the exact area you want to live is not homelessness.   Choosing to stay in holiday accommodation whilst househunting is not homelessness.   Living in your car because you can't afford a home is homelessness.    Whilst your situation is stressful (I've been there)l, it's by no means the worst case scenario that many families are facing.   You have decisions to make, but you do still have choices.

Thanks. Will change my post then.  It may not mean anything to you and of course I'm more fortunate than the millions, or is it billions of real homeless people in the world. That doesn't mean that I'm not near breaking point. We all have our limits. Having 60 (now less than) days to move house (again) is a fricken awful situation to be in. If this house falls through I cannot see beyond my tears to know what I will do next. So yes, it means something to me, even if it seems like nothing to you. I've lost 3 kgs in less than a week and when I do eat I feel sick. When I don't eat I have a constant headache. I feel guilty eating because I don't want to spend more money on myself when I should be putting my family first, and trying to get through the next few months financially. A week ago I was fine. Now I can't even work for the fuzz that is going around in my head. The rental industry in Australia is a shambles. No-one should have to move house every 6m to 2 years because landlords change their mind.

Edited by Katakacpk, 02 December 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#15 KatakaGeoGirl

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (casime @ 02/12/2012, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh and FWIW I wouldn't be staying in holiday accommodation. I don't have any money to do that. I will be holidaying over the other side of a city in one bedroom between us staying with my Mum and her husband, or interstate with my Dad, whilst my husband works and stays with his brother. I was calling it a 'holiday' so the kids would be none the wiser. That's why I said 'holiday'. Holiday meaning it was away from where we live, with our things packed in storage whilst we figure out what to do. But I'd tell the kids it was a holiday.

#16 Froger

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Are you on Centrelink benefits by any chance? I know when I was having trouble with housing a few years ago that the Centrelink social workers were incredibly caring and helpful. They couldn't do enough for me to find me a rental, and with such kindness and understanding as well.

#17 kiam

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

I think you really need to be looking at places "off the mountain" are you in an area that has a higher rental market in the foothills? If so maybe you could find a temporary, 6 month lease in that area, allowing your children to still commute to school and giving you more time to look for a suitable place where you can stay longer term.

I get being rooted in an area, we were, once upon a time, living in a lovely mountain area, where we knew everyone around us and I could never imagine moving. But we had to, as is the nature of rentals, and we do have intentions to move back into the area, but in the end, we had to worry about our own well being before preferences of where we lived. Having somewhere to live had to come before having to somewhere we live in our first choice of area.

#18 pencil

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

We were close once. Made it by about a day. But what we had to do was move pretty far out of our area. Sucked even more as I don't drive, so ended up spending at least 3 hours a day traveling! (Got pretty skinny though!)

Anyway, my point was, we moved out of area, continued our 'lives' in 'our' area until we could finally move back. It was a long year, but there were upsides. I almost felt like a part of the new area when we left. We discovered a few new community places and things in the new area, it was a pretty area when you found the right spots (not out actual house which was gross!) and we had 'adventures' (I had a four yr old I had to cart all about with me) So, while I hated it at first, I didn't when we left.

Now we are back in our preferred town and very glad we resisted switching schools, sporting clubs, etc.

#19 ~~HappyMummy~~

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:52 PM

Different situation but my husbands ex wife allowed herself and their two children to become homeless due to eviction due to unpaid rent.  So yes it can happen.

It was 3 months or so ago now and neither child live with her now.
DSS lives with my husbands parents and DSD lives with us.  How a parent could allow that to happen is beyond me.  She is still without permanent accommodation.

I agree with PPs re moving to another area rather than the possibility of not having a place to call home.  I wish you luck!

#20 lotsa

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

I live in the foothills of Mt Dandenong in Melb and know many families who commute "up the hill" as their preferred choice for school, realistically it is as little as 3-10km commute each way depending on the school and how far off the hill you are willing to live. I would extend the area you are looking in to a 10km radius.
Best of luck finding a new place.

#21 ~ky~

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:39 AM

I also have some very close friends who were recently homeless with their 7 children - they lived in someone's garage until they had a place to move to. That, is homelessness and hardship - 9 people all living in a garage with all of their stuff.

We were pretty desperate for a house before we moved in here as we only had 3 weeks notice to move (owner stuffed up settlement dates). We ended up living in this house which is way above our price range and not at all suited to us and have been here for the past 2 years because it is the only accommodation available for us. We are looking to move when our lease runs out next year and will be choosing to move to a much smaller and rundown house so that we can once and for all save a decent deposit for a home and buy. I figure having the 5 of us on top of each other for 4 years or so is worth the inconvenience.

Ihope you can find a place soon - I remember how stressful it was when we were looking last time and seeing nothing within a 100km radius available. We are lucky enough that we have a fantastic rental history and our property manager at the time had this house come onto her books and she allocated it to us before we had even seen it. As it was, we only had a day and a half to move and get our last rental cleaned and it was DH and I doing it - that was one incredibly tough weekend!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Outrage over baby's icy challenge

A man has been reported to child protective services after taking the ALS ice bucket challenge with his 10-month-old granddaughter.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.