High School Internet Bullying.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 anonymous888

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

I was very hesitant to post this giving a trolling situation yesterday, but this is a very different situation to the one posted recently, so hopefully the mods will be understanding.

This morning after dance, DD14 came to me upset because a friend texted her saying there are two online 'burn books' for girls at her school on the internet & everyone was talking about them & one of the pages had written mean things about her older sister DD18. I went and had a look at it and the comments about DD18 were disgusting & I went to ask DD18 if she knew anything about online 'burn books' at school. She said no, but made that face I know she makes when she's lying about something. I let it go, thinking maybe she'd seen the comment & was embarassed about it and said she could come talk to me later if she wanted.

A couple of hours later, I got a phone call from the mother of a girl DD18 used to be friends with in primary school but 'grew apart' from when the other girl became friends with the 'popular' crowd when they moved to high school (I've stayed friends with the mother, much to DD18's eyerolling when she has to see her former friend around because DD18 is still very resentful her former best friend decided she was too good for her) saying that her daughter overheard a conversation between DD18 and one of her friends talking about the burn book they'd made and bragging about the nasty things they'd written about this girl and her friends & then in retaliation, my friend's group made a website too and now it was spiralling out of control with the comments and submissions to the page and she didn't know what to do, but she thinks they are going to go to the police or the school and confess.

I went and spoke to DD18 and eventually she confessed that her and 3 of her friends made the initial burn book. I asked if she was sorry and she said no because 'nearly everyone at school makes me feel like s**t, it was fun to make them feel like s**t for a change'. They are not part of the popular group at school and have been picked on a bit. I said it has to be deleted, DD18 said she is not the one who can delete it anyway because her friend did the actual creation of the page & it's connected to one of her email addresses. She said she is a bit upset about the comment on the one made in retaliation, but it serves her right anyway.

I want to go to the police about the whole thing. DD18 is worried that she will be in a lot of trouble because she is already 18 as a result of repeating a grade in early primary school and since she is legally an adult, the police will be able to do anything they want to her and she'd rather just let the horrible comment about her stay up there than admit that she was bullying too and get into trouble for her comments. Looking up the laws, they could probably make a case for harassment and get her into trouble.

WWYD? I'm at such a loss here.

(Semi-Regular poster gone anon for privacy reasons, not trolling reasons.)

Edited by anonymous888, 02 December 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

I would hand it over to the school. They will know what step needs to be taken next. It's bigger than your DD and all the children involved need to be protected and counselled.

It's not unusual for the bullied to become the bully and all need help and assistance.

Edited by howdo, 02 December 2012 - 01:33 PM.

#3 trebambinibelli

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

There have to be some sort of consequences for that behaviour, bullying is not acceptable, regardless of who did it first.  You sound worried that she will get legal consequences for her actions, why not?  Bullying is VERY serious, she is an adult, she knows better and therefore if she chooses to act this way, then as an adult she needs to accept the ramifications of it.  

In the meantime, if it was related to fellow school kids, can you go to the head of school/principal and ask their opinion?  I don't have children old enough to know what happens at this age.  If the other party goes to the police it may be out of your hands anyway.

#4 anonymous888

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (trebambinibelli @ 02/12/2012, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There have to be some sort of consequences for that behaviour, bullying is not acceptable, regardless of who did it first. You sound worried that she will get legal consequences for her actions, why not? Bullying is VERY serious, she is an adult, she knows better and therefore if she chooses to act this way, then as an adult she needs to accept the ramifications of it.

My daughter has felt ostracised right throughout her schooling and has only a few friends. Because they more 'look down' on her and 'not include' her and treat her like an outcast, there is not much the school can do because it is not really bullying in that they are not doing something obvious to her they can punish her for. They just say 'not everyone will be friends'.

I am worried she will get legal consqeuences for her actions and I don't know if it is a fair solution. She's hurting. She's unhappy. School makes her depressed because she doesn't fit in.

She's definetely taken her 'revenge' too far, but to me, it feels more like a case of 'the bullied became the bully because she was in a lot of pain' rather than 'my daughter is a horrible person'.

I do know there need to be consqeuences, but I also don't think a criminal record is the answer here.

Edited by anonymous888, 02 December 2012 - 01:43 PM.

#5 hawkara

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

Bullying is a vicious cycle. The bullied find their self esteem destroyed and themselves in a lot of emotional pain and often the easiest way to try and rebuild that self esteem and take out that pain is to turn to becoming bullies themselves.

It's what happened to me. I was bullied through school, then when I moved school, I became the bully to try and 'protect' myself from being bullied and to build myself back up.

It's sadly so incredibly common and why bullying is such a terrible, terrible problem.

I don't know how the law works, but I highly doubt an 18 year old girl is going to get thrown in prison or given an harassment charge over some internet remarks. I'd think the police are more likely to heavily warn everyone involved, give a talk on cyber-bullying & refer those who need it to counselling.

#6 FeralZombieMum

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

Definitely contact the school as it involves their students and they'd want to help with the situation. It's the right thing to do, because there could be more serious consequences, and it would be awful for you to have known about the issue and not speak up about it.

Your posts sound like you are making up excuses for your DD's actions, and you don't want her to face the consequences of her actions - how is she going to learn from this she can't accept responsibility?

Although I'm very surprised that given her age, she wasn't aware of the possible repercussions of her actions on the internet - has she been living under a rock? Because schools tend to do a lot of education about the proper use of computers and the internet - and I know with the 2 schools my kids go to, both schools run classes for the kids on appropriate behaviours, and they also have to sign a form at the start of the year about agreeing to a code of conduct in regards to this technology.

#7 bonnybabe

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

well why don't you call the mother of the girl who created the page and at least have it taken down as a start? You can't leave it there.

And yes your daughter may have been left out, but she's now making someone feel even worse.  She is 18, and I'm assuming in year 12?  she can't have long to go. Tell her it gets better.

#8 anonymous888

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

She is Year 12 next year.

#9 anonymous888

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (ZombieMum @ 02/12/2012, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your posts sound like you are making up excuses for your DD's actions, and you don't want her to face the consequences of her actions - how is she going to learn from this she can't accept responsibility?

Because I've watched her come home crying at least twice a week because of how her and her friends get treated by her classmates and the horrible things they do to them like making them sit at the very back of class 'away' from the normal people and giving them horrible looks every time they walk past of them. My daughter went from happy and confident to being miserable during her schooling.

QUOTE (bonnybabe @ 02/12/2012, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And yes your daughter may have been left out, but she's now making someone feel even worse. She is 18, and I'm assuming in year 12? she can't have long to go. Tell her it gets better.

I said this to her and she said 'after 5 years of making me feel like crap, I hope they feel like s**t. They deserve to be miserable too. Why should only I be miserable?'.

She's hurt and bitter. I don't want her to be legally punished for lashing out at the mean girls when they made her feel worthless for years.

#10 Dionysus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

You should do the following:

1. take screen shots of the worst comments said about your DD

2. insist your DD first apologises on the other girl's site, requesting they take the site down and that she will make her other friend take theirs down

3. make your DD also post an apology on her own friend's site

3. take a screen shot of both apologies

4. get your DD's friend to take their site down - perhaps ring parents and get them involved

5. hope it all calms down

6. phone the school at let them know where it is all up to

7. If these other girls continue with their site, keep an eye on it and take screenshots of the worst comments

8. Head to the police, with the whole story, if it all continues

As a Head of Senior School myself, it all depends exactly what is being said as to how much I would intervene.  Of course, if I could ascertain that some of the bullying was done in school time, I would possibly look to suspend anyone I could identify.  If it is vague 'such and such is a b**ch' kind of stuff happening out of hours, I would caution anyone involved and suggest to parents they take steps to limit internet usage at home.
If it was very severe bullying, I would encourage taking print-outs to the police.  Keep in mind, though, they are really only interested in dealing with threatening behaviour - 'I am going to bash you tomorrow behind the shed' is a little more clear cut than 'You are b**ch'

#11 FeralZombieMum

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (anonymous888 @ 02/12/2012, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because I've watched her come home crying at least twice a week because of how her and her friends get treated by her classmates and the horrible things they do to them like making them sit at the very back of class 'away' from the normal people and giving them horrible looks every time they walk past of them. My daughter went from happy and confident to being miserable during her schooling.

What did you do about it?

Did you talk to the school about the issues she was having? Did you request they were put in separate classes? Did you talk to her subject teachers? Why didn't the subject teacher step in and do something? They could have assigned seats to the students for starters.

I said this to her and she said 'after 5 years of making me feel like crap, I hope they feel like s**t. They deserve to be miserable too. Why should only I be miserable?'.

She's hurt and bitter. I don't want her to be legally punished for lashing out at the mean girls when they made her feel worthless for years.

I think a bigger issue might be why she put up with this for so long.

Were you aware, and if so - why didn't you act? Why did you not pull her out of the school?

Or if you weren't aware, why didn't she feel comfortable to come and talk to you about it?  If you weren't aware, then why didn't you question the twice weekly crying? Surely alarm bells should have been ringing?

Why did she not see the school counsellor to discuss her problems? They could have helped her, they could have helped her make a complaint, they could have given her coping strategies to deal with this behaviour.

Surely if your child is coming home from school so distraught, then you would step up and help her?

First thing tomorrow, make an appointment at the school to see the relevant staff member (eg Year Level Co-ordinator) and also make an appointment with the school counsellor.

If her self esteem has taken a battering, then she also needs to see the GP and ask for a referral to see a psychologist.

I don't care what crap my kids put up with - it is NOT an excuse for them to go and set up a 'burn site' to hurt someone else's feelings. There are better ways to deal with these issues.

Your DD is 18 - she's an adult. She needs another adult (ie you) to model to appropriate behaviour - which is to report it and to seek help to deal with her feelings and emotions.

#12 Luxe

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

I would do as **Mel** suggested.

As the victim of gang bullying at work in the past year I can tell you bullying should be treated VERY seriously. I don't know if you are in Victoria but there is now Brodie's Law that can send bullies, should the worst happen, to jail for up to 10 years.

#13 anonymous888

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

I couldn't change schools due to zoning issues & I do not have the money to afford a private school as much as I wished it was an option.

I spoke to the school but they simply said that not everyone will be friends and they can't force students to include each other but if it gets physical or threats are being made, then come back and report it.

Doesn't hurt that the girls doing the bullying are 'sports stars' and the principal loves her sports stars. Said she can't prove anything and telling someone they can't sit with them is not bullying.

#14 anonymous888

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

Basically, I'm not saying DD did the right thing, but I don't want this to be a case where she gets into tons of trouble and the girls who made her feel like crap for years get away with it.

#15 I look incredible

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 02/12/2012, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would hand it over to the school. They will know what step needs to be taken next. It's bigger than your DD and all the children involved need to be protected and counselled.

It's not unusual for the bullied to become the bully and all need help and assistance.

QUOTE (ZombieMum @ 02/12/2012, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Definitely contact the school as it involves their students and they'd want to help with the situation. It's the right thing to do, because there could be more serious consequences, and it would be awful for you to have known about the issue and not speak up about it.

The school can't (or won't) do anything because it's not happening at school.

In my experience, where my child has been sent three lots of abusive text messages, and numerous occassions of threats and name calling on facebook, the school did sweet FA other than "talk to the whole year group about cyberbullying", and then get the poliice liason office to come in and do the same.

I was told I had to report it to the police for them to take action

Oh, and a few weeks after one threat, the threatening kid punched my child in the face. This happened at school, so the school took action. It might not have come to that if they hadn't washed their hands of the previous threat.

So much for school community.

#16 Dionysus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

I look Incredible, it is really such a grey area as to what the school can/should do.

Stuff that goes on outside of school is really none of our business - unless it is connected to school (by more than that the kids involved attend the same site)

Things like:
- using the school facebook/email to harass etc, comes under school jurisdiction
- as does smoking out of hours, but in uniform
- as does bullying which is threatening and intended to be carried out at school (gonna bash ya tomorrow after chemistry)

When the school isn't involved it is harder
- bad behaviour on buses, out of uniform, harder to 'police'
- hanging out westfield harassing shoppers on a saturday, not our business
- threats not related to school at all need to go straight to the police

cyber bullying during class-time, give it to us to sort out
cyber bullying at home, take to the police, if it is serious enough

#17 Unatheowl

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

Because I've watched her come home crying at least twice a week because of how her and her friends get treated by her classmates and the horrible things they do to them like making them sit at the very back of class 'away' from the normal people and giving them horrible looks every time they walk past of them. My daughter went from happy and confident to being miserable during

If it is this bad then the school really should have done something about it.  It's not just a matter of "they're not all going to befriends".  The school has been irresponsible in not acting for your daughter if she is being essentially threatened and forced to sit at the back of the class, even if it is not actually physical bullying.  Coming home in tears regularly is going to affect her school performance.  I would be taking it further with the school and/or taking legal action to protect your daughter. Sorry if it sounds extreme but I wouldn't put up with that as a parent.

I'm sorry it has come to this, which is actually going to work against your daughter instead of those who did this to her.

#18 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

The school can help OPs DD with counselling and will know what steps to take next as there are guidelines as Mel has outlined. The school can help OP navigate what needs to happen next.

#19 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

The school can help OPs DD with counselling and will know what steps to take next as there are guidelines as Mel has outlined. The school can help OP navigate what needs to happen next.

#20 Dionysus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

There definitely are guidelines.  And, regardless of whether the school is strictly involved or not, they will know what the next best step is.

In SA, the DECD website has information/links about cyber bullying and other e-crimes.  Schools have processes to follow (similar to what I outlined above) - starting with the apology/requesting to stop ('just say no' type response) before escalating it further

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Two children who were given to the wrong families at birth will soon learn if they will be returned to their biological parents.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.