Introducing my Aussie Shepherds
Meet the gang of five.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 FiveAus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

I have a thousand other things I should be doing, but Sundays are for procrastinating and putting things off until later.
Instead, I'd rather post pics of my dogs and introduce them to the EB pet loving community.

First cab of the rank (or dog off the couch) is Dusty. She is the longest serving resident here, she is 5 years of age and I've had her since she was 8 weeks old. She was my first show dog, but she turned out to be not good enough to show so now she's a princess. One of my hobbies is photographing groups of dogs and Dusty always gets to come on the photoshoots and be in the group. Dusty is very, very attached to me, and I'm very, very attached to her. She is also my nanna-nap buddy and she's very good in that role too.

This is Ripley, he is mostly my husbands dog but sometimes he acknowledges that I exist (mainly for the food I provide) although we don't always see eye to eye on where he should be sitting. He's a handsome lad though.
Ripley came to us last year after we lost our first Aussie to kidney disease. The people who had him thought we could give him a better life as he's very active and we have plenty of space. He fitted in well with the other dogs and planted himself firmly by my husbands side and they have a bit of a bromance happening (as in, this dog can do no wrong in my husbands eyes, and Ripley always understands this and knows how to align himself for his best advantage). Ripley is mostly obsessed with balls and running. And he can run like the wind. He is 5 years old.

Shae is my rescue dog, she came to us after she'd twice been returned to her breeder because her owners no longer wanted her. She has a home for life with me, I love her to the moon and back. Since I've had her, I've taught her to herd and she has two herding titles to her name. I have also shown her in neuter classes at dog shows and she has some points towards her neuter championship title, but she won't be shown anymore as she finds the atmosphere at a show a bit too stressful. She is the smallest Aussie I've ever seen, and one of the prettiest. She is a gorgeous little muppet and loves carrying toys around in her mouth. She is also a bit of a supermodel and this year, she's featured in an Aussie Shepherd calendar, and is also featured in advertising for a dog crate retailer. Shae is almost 7 years old and I've had her for 2 years.

This is Isaak, he's one of my current show dogs and my most successful one to date. He is 2 1/2, I've had him since he was an 8 week old puppy and he is very, very devoted to me. Isaak defies the description of the intelligent Aussie, he's as dumb as they come but my goodness he makes up for it with his good looks. He's also very sweet natured and such an easy dog to live with.

Our newest resident is Jessica. I wanted another black tri girl to show and I looked high and low for a suitable one. I was expecting to buy an 8 week old puppy but Jessica became available when she was 7 months old, and was offered to me as a show and breeding dog. She has a first class pedigree, a rock solid temperament and she's altogether a simply delightful little Miss. She will be the foundation to my breeding program as she has all the attributes I want to start with. She is 14 months old and we call her Very Naughty Jessica because she's always into something she shouldn't be. And she has more brains than any dog has a right to.

So, these are my lovely ones, they are my pride and joy and my life revolves around each and every one of them.

Please add your own dogs to the thread, I'd love to meet them!

#2 babatjie

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

They're so beautiful.

#3 rainycat

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

They are gorgeous!

#4 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Gosh they're very good looking dogs!

#5 FiveAus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

Thank you! They are a lovely and very handsome breed and easy to live with. There are lots of breeds I couldn't imagine having 5 of, but 5 Aussies is easy.

#6 Madeline's Mum

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

They are gorgeous! I love Aussie Shephards original.gif

#7 DylJayBen's Mum

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

They are beautiful doggies, I think that Dusty is just gorgeous.

Thanks for sharing.

I would put photos of mine up but I don't know how. They just never seem to work.

#8 CharliMarley

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

They are absolutely gorgeous and look a bit like border collies. unsure.gif

#9 CharliMarley

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

I would send you a photo of my beautiful border collie, but I don't know how to do pictures on E.B. cry1.gif

#10 greypink

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

They are all so gorgeous!

#11 Faradaye

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

They are gorgeous dogs.  Thanks for sharing.  original.gif

#12 FiveAus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (Winterdanceparty @ 02/12/2012, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are absolutely gorgeous and look a bit like border collies. unsure.gif

They often get mistaken for border collies, or border collie crosses, or collie crosses, and they do look a bit like them until you see them side by side. Mine are all missing one vital part, none of them have tails and they were all born that way (and that is something I intend to breed for). Aussies are generally larger, squarer and more upright than Borders, and when you see the two breeds working stock, they are nothing alike.
BC's work at a distance, low down and use their gaze to control the stock, as well as quick darting movements to bring errant stock back to the herd. Aussies work in close, upright and use their body movements to keep the flock together.
Both are beautiful breeds!

#13 *Ker*

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

From your dogs names, I realised I know you from DOL!

I've admired your crew many times on DOL and I was so sad for you when Benson died.

They are all very gorgeous. I'm a big aussie fan, but afraid the exercise requirements might kill me.

#14 lamarque

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

What beautiful dogs!  wub.gif  Thanks for sharing.

#15 FiveAus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (*Ker* @ 02/12/2012, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From your dogs names, I realised I know you from DOL!

I've admired your crew many times on DOL and I was so sad for you when Benson died.

They are all very gorgeous. I'm a big aussie fan, but afraid the exercise requirements might kill me.

Thank you for your kind words about Benson. He is missed every minute of every day.

The exercise requirements haven't killed me yet. Dusty would be happy as a lamb if she never went for a walk and the rest are all content for me to throw a tennis ball. They aren't a high exercise breed, unless you get one like Ripley (and he's definitely a one-off!) who just doesn't bloody wear out.

I have a new one since I left DOL, my lovely Jessica. She is a sweetheart, and after I got her, I realised she reminds me very much of Benson...not in her looks but in other ways. And lo and behold, when I checked pedigrees, the same dogs that were his grandparents, are her great grandparents. So I feel like I have a bit of my special boy back in her. And I reckon he might have waved a paw and sent her to me.

#16 tres

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Are these dogs best as working dogs or would they make a good family pet dog? Because I just fell in love five times over.

#17 eilca

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

What beautiful dogs!  Simply stunning!  And I can see you are clearly talented with your photography.

#18 FiveAus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (tres @ 02/12/2012, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are these dogs best as working dogs or would they make a good family pet dog? Because I just fell in love five times over.

They make great pets. Despite their name they are an American breed, and they've only been in Australia since the early 1990's. They are still not well known here, but they're getting more popular each year.
Most of the ones bred in this country are bred as pets, show or performance dogs, not as working dogs although some do have a good work ethic.
But if you went to a good breeder, they would match your requirements with the right pup. In all honesty, all five of mine do brilliantly as family pets (and that's what they primarily are), and as long as they are with their people, they aren't terribly demanding of anything too energetic.

#19 librablonde

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

Your Aussies are so gorgeous, OP  wub.gif
Like another PP, I always imagine their exercise requirements would kill me and that they're so smart they'd do my taxes and round up the kids at dinner time after popping up to the shops for me  grin.gif  I could happily live in a pack of Aussies  original.gif

#20 tres

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

Ok thanks, I've just added another breed to my list of possibles. They are beautiful looking and I'm definitely after a smart dog (I think). There is the quandary of smart and highly trainable = huge potential naughtiness?

#21 caninestorm

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Aussies are the best wink.gif biggrin.gif

Mine is very active but to be honest she just wants to be with us, and if she is, she's happy.

#22 FiveAus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (eilca @ 02/12/2012, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What beautiful dogs!  Simply stunning!  And I can see you are clearly talented with your photography.

Thank you! Photography has been a hobby of mine for many years and dog photography is a breed all of it's own. It takes lots of patience, but the dogs usually get what I'm after eventually. The one of Jess peeping through the tree branches is an example.....I placed her there and gave her a treat. Then I started to take photos and she got down. So I put her back and gave her another treat and then she got the idea and stayed there for me.

I really love doing groups of dogs and I'm building up quite a collection of grouped Aussie photos.

#23 FiveAus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE (tres @ 02/12/2012, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok thanks, I've just added another breed to my list of possibles. They are beautiful looking and I'm definitely after a smart dog (I think). There is the quandary of smart and highly trainable = huge potential naughtiness?

To a degree, although Dusty, Ripley and Shae are all smart, trainable and would rather die than do something wrong. Jessica is smart and naughty, but she's only young. She's not destructive though.....her tricks include opening the back door and letting all of them into the house, opening the gate to the chook pen (when we had chooks) and chasing them. Now we've just discovered she can get into the paddock with our lamb and we're trying to figure out how she's doing it. She just goes in there to see him though, doesn't hurt him or chase him. She is the most stubborn and if I call her and she doesn't want to come, she just doesn't. The others all come when they're called whether they want to or not.

#24 FiveAus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (caninestorm @ 02/12/2012, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aussies are the best wink.gif biggrin.gif

Mine is very active but to be honest she just wants to be with us, and if she is, she's happy.

Which breeder is she from? Just interested in case she might be related to any of mine.

#25 *Ker*

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 02/12/2012, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you for your kind words about Benson. He is missed every minute of every day.

The exercise requirements haven't killed me yet. Dusty would be happy as a lamb if she never went for a walk and the rest are all content for me to throw a tennis ball. They aren't a high exercise breed, unless you get one like Ripley (and he's definitely a one-off!) who just doesn't bloody wear out.

I have a new one since I left DOL, my lovely Jessica. She is a sweetheart, and after I got her, I realised she reminds me very much of Benson...not in her looks but in other ways. And lo and behold, when I checked pedigrees, the same dogs that were his grandparents, are her great grandparents. So I feel like I have a bit of my special boy back in her. And I reckon he might have waved a paw and sent her to me.

I didn't actually realise you'd left DOL lol. I don't get on there too much anymore - just the odd occasion.

Sounds like their exercise requirements are on par with the lapphund. On the odd occasion you'll get a manic, really drivey one, but most are lazy. My girl will run around like a flipping loon when I take her to the offleash park, but then she sleeps for two days. A friend of mine (who is in love with my dog) wants her next two dogs to be a lapphund and an Aussie.

I LOVE the Merle ones! Ripley is exceptionally handsome. Why was Shae dumped twice? I don't get people!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

My four months of breastfeeding madness

You imagine that everyone is thinking badly of you, and you tell yourself you have to keep trying. Even though you are in an impossible situation, you still won't give yourself a break.

Little girl's foul-mouthed ice bucket challenge viewed by millions

It starts out innocently enough, but soon Scarlett-Rose Davis is letting loose with an emphatic swearword.

Australian push for compensated surrogacy

A team of Australia fertility experts has advocated legalising commercial surrogacy.

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Daycare death shows licensing need

A baby's tragic death in a family daycare centre has underlined a need for better licensing laws in the US.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.