Swapping work/parent gig with DH
For a week

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 beebsoferal

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

Do you think a week would be enough time for DH to appreciative the work involved in looking after 2 young children and running the household.

I've just had a rare movie night with friends, where kids were fed and in pjs and I had also prepared DHs dinner before I left (to make it easy on him the poor sweetheart having to look after his kids on his own for a few hours - this was while he was watching a movie and he went for his Saturday ritual 2-3hr bike ride this morning) And I've had it confirmed from friends yet again how little DH does other than his day job, and how do I put up with it.

DH also had a go at me today about mess, which I blew up about.

I think the only way for him to appreciate my many roles is for him to do what I do for a week. But maybe a month would be better. I just wish he would contribute a bit more with little things like a nappy change here and there. Cooking a meal here and there (does maybe once a week atm). Cleaning the bloody mirror after he flosses and putting the used floss in the bin!

Problem is I am a bit messy, but I feel as though if he just pitched in a little bit then the place would be clean. If only he sorted the kids for bed and kept them occupied so I could focus on tidying the kitchen etc.

It's just such an ongoing battle, and kids are so messy. What do ya do hey?

Edited by beebs09, 01 December 2012 - 10:36 PM.

#2 raone

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

I would also like to know how to do this as it seems like a chore for Dh to even hold bub. I don't really need his help but I would like him to form a bond with his child! (As well pick up after himself thats all I ask)

#3 jayskette

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

lol I remember reading about a woman in the same situation, she just booked a holiday for a week with her girlfriends and just left to her DH to handle by himself, they had 3 kids (2 toddlers 1 baby) and the DH was a completely different man upon her return  biggrin.gif  *nudge nudge*

#4 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

DH had DS last week for one day while I was at work. He rang me to ask what time I was coming home at 9:30am. Every time I spoke to him on the phone DS was screaming in the background. DS rarely cries and is never like that for me or my parents.

I was going to cancel the rest of my leave as DH is home to look after DS but DH didn't want me to cancel it unless necessary.

DH looked after DS the first day I went back to work back in September and had a blast and has been saying how he'd like to be a SAHD. He has completely changed his mind now.

DS wasn't bad, just demanding. I also think DS thought I was at home hiding so was even more upset.

Good luck. I think a week is plenty!

#5 beebsoferal

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

DH is able to look after the kids when I'm not around like when I pick up an extra Sunday shift. Absolutely nothing else is done on those days though.

As soon as I'm around though, oh he's too tired. Or if you don't cook I'm just going to order takeaway (which is fab for the budget let alone health). Baby winges - oh just put him back to bed is always his solution, even if he's just got up an hour ago. I think DS spends a lot of his time in his cot when I work sad.gif Why is it always a battle.

I want a full week so he has to do round the clock parenting, household chores, grocery shopping and meal prep etc. As soon as I wean DS I reckon I'm off interstate for a week. He's got lots of leave and is apparently burnt out from work. Win win right?

Oh and look after the dogs too.

Edited by beebs09, 01 December 2012 - 11:04 PM.

#6 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Nothing gets done when DH looks after DS either. I think going away for a week to recuperate and recharge while he learns to manage the household sounds like a good idea original.gif

#7 beebsoferal

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Thanks Sunnycat. I never did reply to that thread about who kills threads in fear that it would be me lol. Clearly another one of my shining examples of a boring read, but it was more of a vent anyway.
Cheers.

#8 lozoodle

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Threads like this make me appreciate my dp so much. He isnt home much due to working hours but when he is he does pretty much the same amount i would.

It needs to be more than a week. A week is a little holiday from work and its still a novelty. A month is more realistic!!! And in that month you have to not do anything you normally would so he reslises it wont get done otherwise.

#9 prettypenny

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

I had to go away for 2 weeks training when I returned to work when DD1 was 15 months. DH took leave and looked after her. Prior to this "secondment" he would help when prompted but after it he was way more proactive.

I say worth a try.

#10 cinnabubble

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

Are you planning on going to work? It won't be a proper swap unless you're doing what he does.

#11 beebsoferal

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

It would be a like for like swap. I currently work 2 days. Him 5. But I 95% look after kids and household unless I work a Sunday where he looks after them. I would definitely work 5 days in this scenario which I can do as I'm a nurse and can pick up work easily.

I think a month is a better idea. Or 3 weeks where I contribute the same as he does now,  and 1week how I wished he contribute.

#12 papilio

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

If you can really, actually swap as in you increase your shifts and he takes some time off to spend at home with the kids, a week might be just long enough that he thinks he can do it all and doesn't know what you are whinging about.

A month or at least two weeks would prove the point much better.

#13 adl

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

I think a month to make it work ...and you have to post regularly to let  us know how it goes!

Walk a mile in each other shoes ... I think brilliant !!!! as you may learn how he feels too with working more and not being there as much?

I have to say my DH is rather wonderful ...he does the laundry, ironing....and main kitchen cleaner ...we share cooking.. If I had to complain is that when he is home with DS he is busy with chores, not playing enough  rolleyes.gif   But he does get home a lot earlier than me

Today he got a taste of what my "day off" is like with speech, swimming, shopping then nap...which takes us to after 4pm.... But he is keen to be a SAHD...he inks he will have more time for golf mwah ha ha ha  dev (6).gif

#14 *LucyE*

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:38 PM

I was injured a few years ago and was out of action for 6 weeks. 2 of those weeks I was on prescription opiates and high as a kite. DH had to take over all of the household work, child care and activities. He dropped all of my volunteer stuff though.

He took 4 weeks holiday from work and thought it would be a great bonding experience with the kids. After one week he was exhausted and had a new perspective of what I do. After 2 weeks he was tetchy and ready to go back to work. After 3, he was farming out the kids to family and friends (in terms of drop off, pick up etc), eating out a lot as well as buying school lunches rather than packing at home. He had also started working again too. By 4 weeks, I was doing the household chores with help from the kids and family. I couldn't drive for about 12 weeks so I had to rely a lot on family and friends.

He has always been a big help, but it did help him to see the stuff that I do for the family that's not obvious.

#15 Coffeegirl

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

DH has had to handle ours on his own off and on since DD was 6 mths old.   I went to work evenings and DH took over.  He worked fulltime office hours 9-5 and then came home, I passed DD over and off to work I went from 7-11 then 9-2 on Saturdays.   DH loved it.  He still had to bathe and feed DS as well as settle her.

Then we've  had a few emergency times where DH has had to suck it up and deal with it.  1st time, DD was 3mths old and I needed surgery on my knee and was in hopsital overnight.   The second time, I sliced my thumb open when DD was 11 mths and I had to have emergency surgery.

DH also had to juggle DD and work in the late stages of my pregnancy with DS when I had pre-eclampsia.  I could go for a morning check up and be admitted immediately with no warning. Then 'released' two days later, only for the cycle to happen again 4-5 days later

DH also had to deal wih me going back to Canada for 3 weeks when my father passed away. He had DD at school then and DS in daycare.  

TBH, I think throwing them in at the deep end works the best.  They have no time to worry about it, nor prepare, so they just have to do  biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.