Does anyone else have a toddler who will not be read to?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

A lot of my friends Read books to their toddlers, they do story time and bed time stories. I have tried countless times reading books to DS but he will not sit still for long and has no interest. He ends up either snatching the book out of my hand to chew on it or tear the pages out. He doesn't seem to be interested in sitting in my lap and looking at the pictures. He is nearly 14 months old.

I'm aware that reading has a lot of benefits and my friend's toddlers seem to be enriched by reading but I'm not sure what to do with DS. I can't force him to sit there and read.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get him interested in books? Does anyone have a toddler who will not sit the and be read to or shows no interest in being read to?

#2 jayskette

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

14 months old is hardly old enough to be enjoying a proper book and being read to! Don't be so hard on yourself. Buy him some fun texture based books, bath, fabric books and let him "play" with them first. Then you can point out and sound out the words that are in them. There are books that make sounds too

#3 epl0822

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Don't stress. My DS did something similar too. It can be discouraging to feel like you're wasting time with nothing coming to fruition. But we did persist and I think it made DS have more and more interest in books over time. He started off flipping through the pages after every sentence, sometimes we could barely get in one or two words. Some time after he turned two he started developing greater attention span and now can sit through the whole page. Keep going original.gif sometimes parents have to develop their kids' interest in books but in the long run it will be worth it.

#4 Riotproof

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

I wouldn't stress about it, they can't all like books, just like the won't all like sport or ballroom dancing. 14 months is pretty young.

BTW, DS was the same at that age, he had no interest at all in me reading him books, but he liked reading them himself. By 18 months, I could barely get off the floor before he hand he another book to read. They grow, they change.

#5 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

I met up with my friend who has a boy 6 months older than DS and she has always read to him and he has such a good vocabulary at such a young age and she credits this to reading.

I really have tried to read, nothing too long but things like Spot and Mr Men and he doesn't want a bar of it.

#6 PB2

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Chat to your librarian about age appropriate books/picture books and what friends are reading and hoe thy do it for the same age level.

Good luck - worth perservering

#7 TopsyTurvy

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

I found the best way to get my DS interested in reading was to sit there with the book and read aloud to myself.  Soon enough he would come over and show some interest.

Now he loves reading!

Also those noisy electronic nursery rhyme books were also great at first too as they provided lights, noises and bits to move around which really helped engage him.

#8 Bunsen the feral

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

DS1 was like that for a while. I just kept lots of books around, he would pick them up and play with them but never sit and be read to. We did lots of trips to the library too, on our own or with mothers group friends.

When his little brother came along, who did like being read to, his interest picked up - he didn't want to be left out. He's much keener now and is starting school next year so is quite excited about learning to read.

#9 MAGS24

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:37 PM

What kind of books are you reading? I bought sparkle books for my DS when he was a toddler, and I used it as a way to teach him colours and told him the words for everything in the pictures etc, but I didn't really read the book because reading didn't keep his attention. He was always happy to sit if I made the book for interesting for him. I often made up my own stories to go with the pictures to make it more interesting for him.

#10 ~Mintie~

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

My 14 month old isn't very interested in books, neither was his brother until he turned about 2. Now he enjoys 5 bedtime stories every night and absolutely loves it. I'm hoping my 14month old will be the same.

If he doesn't like it now, or is like mine and just wants to rip or eat the book, maybe just try every now and then, maybe once a week. I'd leave basic, tough books lying around for them to explore and if he picks it up and brings it to you, don't read the whole thing, just open a page or 2 and point at the pictures.

Not all kids take to books, I guess some never do but most show an interest at some stage.  So I say keep trying and let him explore for himself.

#11 Tiamo

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 01/12/2012, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I met up with my friend who has a boy 6 months older than DS and she has always read to him and he has such a good vocabulary at such a young age and she credits this to reading.

I really have tried to read, nothing too long but things like Spot and Mr Men and he doesn't want a bar of it.

I think you need to start with some really basic books before things like Spot and Mr Men.  Baby touch and feel books are a grated start.  Don't read them so much as point out things your DS likes or knows already and slowly introduce new words.  Singing nursery rhyme books is another great way to go as babies love the sound of their parent's voice  

What does your DS love Op?  Dogs, other babies, cars, whatever?  Find a picture book with his favourite thing in it and point it out and I bet he will be keen to look at it  

Start slow and build on that.  Good luck.

#12 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

QUOTE (Tiamo @ 01/12/2012, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you need to start with some really basic books before things like Spot and Mr Men.  Baby touch and feel books are a grated start.  Don't read them so much as point out things your DS likes or knows already and slowly introduce new words.  Singing nursery rhyme books is another great way to go as babies love the sound of their parent's voice  

What does your DS love Op?  Dogs, other babies, cars, whatever?  Find a picture book with his favourite thing in it and point it out and I bet he will be keen to look at it  

Start slow and build on that.  Good luck.

I had simple books that just had picture and words or numbers but he still wasn't interested so I thought they were too boring for him. I think I might try to find more themed books of things he likes though. That's a good idea.

#13 caesie'n'linc

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

Try the "that's not my..." books!  My youngest has always loved them, I only wish I had discovered them when I had my first.
Even though he has loved those particular books for a long time it's only really been since he was about 3yrs old that he would sit and let me read to him, before that he was happy to just look at and touch the pictures by himself.

Don't worry about not reading to your child, there's other ways to help expand your childs vocabulary original.gif
My eldest was 12-18mths ahead of his peers when he started daycare at 18mths old, he was talking in complete, clear sentences at that age.  I hadn't read a single book to him.

Instead of reading just talk to your child original.gif  Talk to them about what you are doing, talk to them about what you can see if you are driving somewhere, talk about what you are putting into the trolley when you are shopping, get him to help you by pointing out things in the shop (eg, ask him to look for bananas and tell you when he sees them)...and when you are talking to young kids talk to them like they are an adult, none of this baby talk garbage!  Obviously use age appropriate words, but use the proper words (a bottle is a bottle NOT a bot-bot! LOL)

Don't worry about him not loving books just yet, keep them available and he will eventually develop an interest in them original.gif

#14 Kat255

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

My little boy wouldn't sit politely and be read to either. Like yours he'd try to snatch the book or would turn the pages too quickly, or (if I didn't let him to either), he'd just run around.
He grew out of it around 2.5, and now will (mostly) allow me to read to him. It still has to be on his terms though. I am not allowed to turn the pages or pick the book, that is his job.

I gave up trying to do the reading at bedtime. It would just hype him up too much. I bought him lots of board books (That's not my ..., Spot, Hairy MacLarey Series) so his grabbing wouldn't hurt them too much. And books that I could remember the words to so that if he turned the pages on me, I could keep 'reading.'
Mostly I'd just recite the book, while trying to keep him on the same page. If he ran away, I'd finish reading the page I was on I'd invite him back to turn the page. Either he'd come back after a while and we'd continue, or we'd move to a new activity.

Another option would be Trace Moroney's nursery rhyme books. They can be chewed and roughly played with. Or the words can be acted out. DS loves it when I am Jill and he is Jack and we all fall down. As Cassie has mentioned, reading at this age is about expanding vocabulary and, if books aren't working, there are plenty of other ways to get a toddler interested in language.

#15 hoohoobump

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:54 AM

We  also did audiobooks (from iTunes) in the car. e.g. Gruffalo, Winnie the Pooh, CBeebies from the BBC. We would listen and talk about them as well as read the same books as at home. One of our other favourite 'books' is a small photo album with pictures of DS's family and friends and familiar places.

#16 Mille-Mille

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

My DD is 2 1/2 and will not be read to, she has to do it herself.  Too bad she can't read.

#17 MinkyMonkey

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

DD loved books from an early age but when she started walking she decided for a few months that was more fun and I couldn't keep her still long enough to read to. I started reading to her while she was in the bath as it was the only time she was contained, it only took a few weeks till she remembered how much she loved books.

#18 aussierach

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

I rarely read to either of my boys, my oldest is in prep and one of the top readers in his class.. he hasn't suffered

#19 cheekymonkeysmum

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

My son is the same Op though he is 3 yrs old he has never been able to sit down and let me read him a story.

he just has no interest in them he will flip though a book but he can't read yet but he likes looking at the pictures.

#20 No girls here

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

My 2 older boys were too busy to sit and read books when they were that little, but were very keen on books at 2 or 3.  They have always been in the top reading group at school and have above average language skills.

DS3 is 17 months and still has very little interest in books.  The only ones he will really look at at all are the "That's not my" series where he can feel all the different textures, but he doesn't listen to the words.  I've got him some lift the flap books for Christmas as I thought he'd be more interested in books where he actually gets to do something.

I wouldn't stress about it yet.  If you have a more "busy" toddler, it's hard to get them to sit still, but it will happen as they get older.

#21 joshuakalan

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

I suggest taking him to the library and allowing him to stroll through the kids section to select the books. Even if they are just picture books you can make a story or just discuss the pictures.

Also, you can "read" to him when you are baking or doing craft. My boys at this age loved being read the instructions for recipes. You can also start to make a game of Eye Spy with my Little Eye. Instead of using letters, you spy objects. Talk about their colour, shape and purpose. These are very early literacy skills.

#22 Mumma_G

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

Reading should be fun. I have never had problems with DS not being into books but i did read to him from the day he was born. Granted when he was small it was my book that i simply read aloud to him. We started with soft material books, then later introduced hard cardboard books, he loved the ones with the buttons that made noise. Pick books that are full of colour and make noise to catch his attention. I couldnt possibly read 5 books to my son a night, we do one (2 on birthdays and christmas). As it is it generally takes 15+ minutes. We have used stories as our bedtime routine from day 1, it just like having a bath, eating dinner, brushing teeth. I would keep trying. Start with small books with few words but great illustrations.

#23 Team Awesome

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

My 8.5yo never sat still long enough for any kind of craft (it was done on a pass by type of situation 2mins later his attention was elsewhere. He did pre-prep and they weren't sure how he'd go his attention span only a little longer he was just busy truly to absorb everything. He could sit and create things with blocks and mobilo easily from 3 though, he simply had other interests. Music yes because he could move to it. Nursery rhymes and silly songs like cold spaghetti and rockabye a bear from 2.5yo as it became part of our night time routine because reading meant trying to go play.

What i did do was read for me around him and the three who've come after. We encouraged imaginative play.

Any how my point is don't worry deepite us "being slack" and not reading to him DS is one of the top in his class for his reading and writing. He reads a chapter bok a week plus whatever the school gives him. We're planning on introducing larger children's chapter books over the holidays (he's getting some for Christmas)

#24 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

My DS is almost 14 months.  He got a lot more interested in books when I got a new low shelf from Ikea just for him.   He can see all his books and pull one out whenever he likes.   He has started getting one and bringing it to me to read, mainly because he has worked out that I'll stop whatever I'm doing and sit down with him and pay him attention.

#25 Betty_D

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

My DS was always too active and couldn't sit still to read a book with me. So, we incorporated it into our bedtime routine and I've found that really helps. He tends to be sleepy and snuggly and more content to look at the pages with me, rather than trying to wrestle the book out of my hands to eat it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

After four decades in the industry, pest controller John Birkett couldn't believe what he found in one woman's bedroom.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.