afraid we wont be able to offer our son a loving environment

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Wildence

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

might be in a wrong forum,

but just wondering.

do partners change??

my partner is super stubborn and loves playing his PC games, if i ask him to do something for me while he is playing, ill get nasty replies and eye rolling.
he is just not reasonable when he is playing his xbox (this is how he spends ALL his free time)

i feel super bad and guilty for bringing a child into this world when there is so much unnecessary bickering and shouting.

he ends up helping me, but the process to get there, is just so painful. once he starts being rude to me, i cant help myself but I start crying and start feeling extremely guilty for the little one..

every time i want to be a biatch, i always try stop myself, putting the baby first. if i am stressed, i believe they can feel it, and i love him too much already to make him feel that bad.

but yet my partner finds it fine, to bicker, and argue with me, knowing that unnecessary stress is not good for a little one. or does he just forget that i am carrying his son?

please no flaming.
and we do love each other, and we don't argue often, but when we do. it makes me feel guilty for bringing a child into this world.

#2 jayskette

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

A child adds a new dynamic to a relationship. It does not change the person.

#3 sandoz

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

Mine also went from sharing all the housework to playing games all the time and not helping, or sighing and complaining about it so much it was faster to just do it all myself...we're divorced

#4 Suz01

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:38 PM

Agree jayskette, my partner loves our kids, yet still works 6-7 days a week
Its just life for us.

Mothers in my opinion realise quicker the impact a baby has and sucks it up. Men, are so much slower (in our relationship at least.)

#5 SaintJoe

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

Mine stayed the same.

He always was good with housework, cleaning and general tidying anyway.

I have noticed that he is more understanding and open towards others. Probably due to the love one has for their own child.

I don't think having a child completely changes anyone. My DH still has some annoying habits that have always been there (as do I, I am sure!)

Good luck OP.

#6 bonnybabe

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

I think you'll need to have a chat about the split of responsibilities, what is expected of each partner when the baby comes, before the baby comes.  If he doesn't put limits on when he plays games, you'll just get the same eye rolling crap about changing nappies, or giving you a break so you can have a rest.  Good luck.

#7 Unatheowl

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

I don't think it changed either of us.  Having a newborn especially is extremely stressful and any problems that were there are amplified by the lack of sleep etc that is associated with that phase.  It certainly was a tough time for us.  It has settled somewhat now, but in my experience it was a negative for our relationship, something we got through

#8 poss71

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

You've got me thinking of the old saying, "A man marries a woman hoping she never changes. A woman marries a man looking to change him".

Set your expectations now, while you're not too tired/worn out/heavily pregnant/sleepless from newborn to put your POV forward. You can't change him but you can have a say in your relationship.

#9 BetteBoop

QUOTE (jayskette @ 01/12/2012, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A child adds a new dynamic to a relationship. It does not change the person.

I changed a lot when I had DD. I would say I'm almost unrecognisable to who I was beforehand.

Maybe your basic personality doesn't change, but your behaviour can and does change with big life events.

And sometimes that's enough.

#10 Ice Queen

They stay the same.

#11 Natttmumm

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

I think things usually get worse once a bub arrives as behavior doesn't change much but you add tiredness and exhaustion to it.
We found the first yr tough onour relationship for each child. The only  thing that changed was we were more tired and cranky with each other. We got on really well previously.
We are expecting number 3 and DH is super cranky and picky. I try to remind him to be more positive so far it hasn't helped. It worries me

#12 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:51 PM

They say a Women becomes a Mother from conception a man doesn't become a father til the baby is born.  (or something like that).

So he could change, my dh I know is the sort of guy that leaves everything to til the last minute, doesn't feel the need to stress, prepare, help etc unless it's the critical minute.  I remember harping onto him all through my  pregnancies about the things that needed doing (ie setting up cot, putting in carseat etc) he'd delay and not want to do it as he was 'busy' watching tv but when the babies were born he always came around and did what was needed and is a real help.

#13 kadoodle

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

My DH matured a lot after we had DD1.

#14 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

DF said his ex wife changed after they had children, not for the better... that's why he doesn't want more children... he's afraid it would have the same effect on me.

I am sure he changed too... children do change your life. I'm not even their mother and DSDs have changed my life. But DF managed to be a Dad and still retain some of him (e.g. he loves playing computer games and he used to still play when DSDs were babies, he's just have them laid in one arm while he played, as they got older he played after they went to bed.)

Edited by PussyDids, 01 December 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#15 Cath42

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

[quote name='PussyDids' date='01/12/2012, 07:17 PM' post=%2

QUOTE (PussyDids @ 01/12/2012, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DF said his ex wife changed after they had children, not for the better... that's why he doesn't want more children... he's afraid it would have the same effect on me.

I am sure he changed too... children do change your life. I'm not even their mother and DSDs have changed my life. But DF managed to be a Dad and still retain some of him (e.g. he loves playing computer games and he used to still play when DSDs were babies, he's just have them laid in one arm while he played, as they got older he played after they went to bed.)

What?

I suspect he retained his ability to play computer games for hours because he didn't change, thus forcing his wife to become the responsible person. And then he didn't like who she became, and he couldn't see that he'd played a role in that. I know so many fathers who say that children "changed every aspect of their lives" when the reality is that their lives really are exactly the same as they were BC (Before Children).

If your partner is telling you that he doesn't want more children because he doesn't want you to become like his ex-wife (who he once loved), the only thing you have to decide is whether or not you want to have children of your own. Believe me, if you have children of your own you'll become like his ex-wife because he'll give you no choice.

#16 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

I don't expect DH to give up his World of Warcraft habit PC (post-cihldren).

I also dont plan on giving up my OWN WoW habit.  Or choir.  Or performing in eisteddfods.  

I do expect us both to *modify* those habits.  But if Dh wants to game with baby in a sling, or in a bouncer, then by all means.  As long as he remembers to change the nappy and feed the kid, why should he have to give up a long-established hobby?

#17 bakesgirls

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

I don't think my DH changed as such. I think we both changed to some degree. Our relationship gets better the more kids we have. He became a much better husband to me once we had our first. He seems to get better at being a father too as the years pass and as we add to our family. He's much more resposnsible and no longer self absorbed like he used to be.

#18 kpingitquiet

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

It really depends. My husband went from frequent gamer and general layabout happy to work a "meh" job forever to only gaming in the wee hours of Sunday mornings before everyone else is up and after the dogs have been fed, building shelves for kiddo's room, building me a raised bed veggie patch, now planning a degree in civil engineering, etc etc. He's currently in the playroom coloring with kiddo before he bathes her and puts her to bed, like every night.

Our friend had a WoW-playing, do-next-to-nothing, cooks-occasionally husband employed in a crap job before their baby came. She has the same thing now, plus the baby (now toddler).

Strangely, she's happier with her marriage than I am with mine. Perhaps I need a re-think on that lol

#19 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (NapCat @ 01/12/2012, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't expect DH to give up his World of Warcraft habit PC (post-cihldren).

I also dont plan on giving up my OWN WoW habit.  Or choir.  Or performing in eisteddfods.  

I do expect us both to *modify* those habits.  But if Dh wants to game with baby in a sling, or in a bouncer, then by all means.  As long as he remembers to change the nappy and feed the kid, why should he have to give up a long-established hobby?

This may work up to about 6 months.   After that you have to play with them or the house gets destroyed. Or the big one kills the little one.

#20 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (meggs1 @ 01/12/2012, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This may work up to about 6 months.   After that you have to play with them or the house gets destroyed. Or the big one kills the little one.

well, we're only having 1, unless I get very unlucky with twins!

I game with families who have 5 kids and a bigger WoW habit than I do.  things can get held up by the kids, but since our raiding doesn't start until 7/730, one can hope by the time bubs turns into destructobot, they'll be in bed ninja.gif

#21 Kat255

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

DH has changed since he became a Dad, as have I since I became a Mum. Though it didn't happen overnight. I think it is the general process of maturing that has changed us rather than any one single event.

DH still plays lots of computer games (28+ hrs / week). However, whereas before he'd play MMORPG (games where he is playing with lots of people counting on him and where a seconds lost concentration could mean failure) he now plays single player games which can be played with one hand, and have plenty of save points. Even though he spends a lot of time playing, he is available within seconds to help out with a cuddle, feed, nappy or anything else really.
As I type this, he has DD (1 yr old) draped over his shoulder. She is happiest in her Daddy's arms and is currently fast asleep.

If your DH doesn't see an issue with the way things are now (ie, finds it fine to argue and bicker) then he may not see a reason to change.

#22 kay11

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (meggs1 @ 01/12/2012, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep. Your kids will be playing with you - or trying to...

Like how they try to type on the computer when I'm on it, stack the dishwasher when I'm doing it and it's a race to see whether my husband and I can get the ornaments on the Christams tree faster than the 18 month old can pull them off.

You might have time when they're asleep. As long as they actually sleep and you're not too wrecked and you're happy enough with the state of the house etc and have made any calls that you can't make during the day because junior is screaming in your ear to grab the phone.

I'm hoping I'll have hobbies again in another year or 2s times - when the youngest is around 4 or so?

#23 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (kay11 @ 01/12/2012, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep. Your kids will be playing with you - or trying to...

Like how they try to type on the computer when I'm on it, stack the dishwasher when I'm doing it and it's a race to see whether my husband and I can get the ornaments on the Christams tree faster than the 18 month old can pull them off.

You might have time when they're asleep. As long as they actually sleep and you're not too wrecked and you're happy enough with the state of the house etc and have made any calls that you can't make during the day because junior is screaming in your ear to grab the phone.

I'm hoping I'll have hobbies again in another year or 2s times - when the youngest is around 4 or so?

I was a terrible sleeper, so I'm really hoping kiddo takes after DH.  DH and I are both very relaxed housekeepers, so I can't see that being a major issue during the week.  

I know our lives are going to change after kids.  But I have no intention of putting my needs completely to one side.  And I need time and space to indulge my soul!

#24 Kat255

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (NapCat @ 01/12/2012, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I game with families who have 5 kids and a bigger WoW habit than I do.  things can get held up by the kids, but since our raiding doesn't start until 7/730, one can hope by the time bubs turns into destructobot, they'll be in bed ninja.gif

I thought I'd end up very similar. Being able to keep up playing WoW even with kids. I found though, that my priorities shifted, and I slowly found it harder to make time for it.

Now, if I get a spare few mins, the last thing I want to do is log on. I fully plan to get back into gaming once they are old enough to play too.

However, like you, I know other couples with young kids who play regularly and are still enjoying it. It can happen, and it does happen.

#25 Cath42

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Okay, I'm showing my age here and going off on a tangent. But are there really men out there who play computer games for 28+ hours per week? 28 hours or more per week? Presuming these men actually have jobs and work 40 hours per week, that's 68+ hours per week they're unavailable to their partners and children.

I think of computer games as something my 11-year-old son would spend 28 hours per week playing if he was allowed to (which he isn't, and never will be), not something that grown men spend hours engrossed in. Doesn't anyone else find it bizarre that grown men spend hours playing "Doom" or something similar?

There must be something wrong with me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special Ticket Offer, Save $8!

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show is back this April! Save $8 off the door price for a limited time only!

Why I breastfed my son until he was three

The fact that I not only breastfed my son, but breastfed him for three and a half years, seems pretty incredible in retrospect.

Do babies and young children see ghosts?

Do babies and young children see ghosts? If you’ve pondered the question, you’re not alone.

15 years with Essential Baby: meet Therese

"Life has a funny way of giving you what you need when you need it the most."

Mum causes a stir by taking a stand against leggings

A mum has found herself the subject of debate after claiming tight bottoms cause lustful thoughts in men.

Don't set a parenting goal for 2015 - do this instead

The problem with goal setting as a parent is the measure. How do we really know if we’re succeeding?

5 pregnancy myths that just won't go away

When you're expecting, it often seems like everyone is keen to offer advice about what you should and shouldn't do in the interests of your health and wellbeing.

RPA hospital contacting mums after discovering vaccine storage fault

Sydney's Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (RPA) is trying to contact women who had babies at the facility after discovering a fault in a refrigerator containing vaccines.

'Nutella' not a baby name, French court says

A French court has blocked parents from naming their baby girl after the hazelnut spread Nutella, arguing it would make her the target of mockery.

Why I'm never calling myself 'just a mum' again

I’ve grown three human beings. I feed them, dress them, teach them, care for them and love them 24 hours a day. Yet for eight years, when I meet new people and they’ve asked me what I do, I tell them: “I’m just a mum”.

Rosie Batty named 2015 Australian of the Year

One year ago, Rosie Batty could not have imagined she'd be where she is. Tonight the grieving mum who put domestic violence on the national agenda was named Australian of the Year.

Five reasons to hug more

Hugging – some of us thrive on it, even depend on it – and then there are those who don't care for it really. So, are they missing out?

Help - my three-year-old has started throwing tantrums

My daughter never went through the "terrible twos" but began throwing wild tantrums shortly after her third birthday.

That's commitment

First peek at Sonia Kruger's daughter Maggie

"She smells so good, I could eat her," Kruger tells co-host David Campbell.

Mum assists in own caesarean surgery

A mum who partly delivered her own twins during a caesarean has encouraged other women to take control of their birthing experience.

How to handle common childhood regressions

Regression can be a natural and common part of development prompted by a variety of factors, but that doesn't make it less frustrating.

Disgruntled dad's pram ad goes viral

When buying a second hand pram, there are lots of things to take into consideration. 

Man discovers he's a dad after finding 55-year-old letter

Discovering you are about to father a baby is startling enough - never mind finding out you have a 61-year-old son.

15 thoughts mums have during a tantrum

Ranging from mild to feral and triggered by events both minor and major, tantrums certainly keep life interesting.

Natural pain relief in the early stages of labour

While managing labour pains on your own can be daunting, there are a number of natural pain relief options to help you cope until you are admitted to hospital.

Win an Octonauts prize pack

To celebrate the launch of Octonauts Live! Operation Reef Shield, a spectacular underwater adventure live on stage, we are giving away an amazing Octonauts prize pack to one lucky fan.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Forgotten Baby Syndrome claims the life of toddler

One baby dies every eight days in the back of a car in the US, victims of 'forgotten baby syndrome'.

For a brief time, I was touched by an angel

For a brief time, I was touched by an angel. You stole my heart, and changed me into the women I am today.

Chinese woman gives birth to quintuplets

After six years of trying for a baby, a couple’s dreams have come true many times over after the mum gave birth to quintuplets this week.

Chrissie Swan has reached her "sex quota"

Chrissie Swan says she and her partner have sex once a year due to her fear of falling pregnant.

Stars help save choking babies

It's an important lesson to learn, but one that busy new mums and dads might overlook until it's too late.

New Girl star Zooey Deschanel pregnant

Actress Zooey Deschanel is expecting her first child with her producer boyfriend Jacob Pechenik.

16 times 'dad reflexes' saved the day

Of course, in some cases they may be the ones who actually got their child into a precarious position in the first place, but we'll ignore that for now.

Couple's 'non-traditional' pregnancy announcement goes viral

Knowing you are not the father of your pregnant wife's baby would usually indicate a rocky relationship ahead for traditional parents.

The trials and tribulations of identical triplet newborns

Pip Donnelly is still playing spot the difference with her newborn identical triplets, Isabelle, Georgina and Frankie.

Win an Octonauts prize pack

To celebrate the launch of Octonauts Live! Operation Reef Shield, a spectacular underwater adventure live on stage, we are giving away an amazing Octonauts prize pack to one lucky fan.

Earthquake baby thriving five years on

Jenny Alexis is lucky to be alive after spending four days buried in the rubble of the 2010 Haitian earthquake, but now she's a thriving five year old.

Please don't say I'm lucky because I was adopted

On the one hand I was having a regular life with friends and sports and sleepovers and school. But I was also always wondering: Did my mother love me? What was wrong with me?

An open letter to non-parents who offer advice on child-rearing

Kitty, when you’re the parent of my child you’re welcome to wade in with an opinion – but until then, I’d prefer you to have a supportive ear and a glass of wine ready.

Couple arrested over baby gun video

A US couple faces charges after investigators say they found mobile phone videos showing the woman's 12-month-old daughter putting a handgun in her mouth.

NSW Health dumps 10-year limit on frozen embryos

A 10-year time limit on storing frozen embryos that were created with donor sperm has been dropped by the NSW government.

How my happy-go-lucky husband became a monster

Sharan Nicholson-Rogers watched her husband change from a happy-go-lucky police officer into an unpredictable man prone to violent and emotional outbursts.

Dads-to-be experience hormonal changes, too

Dads-to-be experience hormonal changes in line with their pregnant partners, a new study shows.

'They were just doing their job': mum of toddler killed in police chase gone wrong

"They were just doing their job. I feel so sorry for them. It is all just too sad."

Miscarriages to be formally recognised by NSW government

Women who miscarry will be able to obtain an optional "recognition of loss" certificate as a formal recognition of their often heartbreaking loss.

Cafe cubby house 'too noisy' for neighbours

Teenage parties, domestic disputes, or raucous late night pubs are the things that usually come to mind when you think neighbourhood noise complaints.

Dad films baby playing with snake

Most parents would not consider a snake an appropriate playmate for their baby, but a US dad who filmed his daughter playing with a python has defended himself against criticism.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Back to School Offer

Findababysitter.com.au

We've got you covered for this school year. Use www.findababysitter.com.au to meet local nannies now.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.