Christmas Menu
What are you planning on cooking?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Funnington

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

We have a full day at home this year wub.gif  pure bliss, no rushing out after lunch.

I will be hosting my parents-in-law for lunch and close friends for dinner.  Christmas food planning (and cooking) is my favourite aspect of the day.

At this stage, I plan to cook a standing rib eye roast and bake a free-range ham.  Sides - I'm not entirely sure yet.  But, I think it will be a hot lunch, so baked vegetables and maybe french beans, glazed dutch carrots.  Dinner will be leftover ham, homemade coleslaw and hassleback potatoes.  Easy.

Dessert, no idea whatsoever.  

Given the small numbers, I want to keep meat to a minimum.  No-one eats the leftover meat.  The dog has a lovely few days post-Christmas roll2.gif

So, what are you planning?  Hot, cold food?  Traditional, BBQ, smorgasboard?

#2 Pearson

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Cold meats, chicken ham etc, maybe some prawns
Salads, rolls
Don't know for dessert either.

#3 knittingkitten

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

We always have a seafood Christmas, lots of prawns, oysters and crabs, sometimes lobster. Last year we had the seafood with a roast carrot/haloumi salad and a waldorf salad.
Dessert is always pudding. We had one from the farmer's market near us- it was a traditional one but with chocolate and orange too. Delicious!

We rarely vary from this type of lunch. My FIL is an easygoing man but don't mess with his Christmas lunch!

Christmas breakfast is scrambled eggs and hot smoked ocean trout.
Dinner is normally ham and salad if anyone can fit it in.
I like to do a roast pork with crackling for Christmas Eve dinner too.
We are really into our food! wink.gif

Edited by knittingkitten, 01 December 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#4 MrsBouquet

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Trifle for dessert?

#5 lisacat

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Nibbles
Chips
choc nuts and sultanas
Mixed nuts
Poco sticks
Pretzels
Salmon dip
Cheese platter

Main
Ham
Chicken
Prawns
Lamb
Green salad
Potato salad
Coleslaw
Pasta salad

Dessert
Pudding
Trifle
Cold rock cake
Home made ferrero rocher

#6 BearBait

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

KnittingKitten Yum. That sounds fantastic.

We're in the Northern Hemisphere so it's snowing outside & we have roast turkey & duck with cranberry sauce, English plum pudding is set alight at the table and served with brandy white sauce.

#7 Funnington

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

I like to do a roast pork with crackling for Christmas Eve dinner too.

For a couple of years we had ham and coleslaw for Christmas Eve dinner.  It was by default though, I'd bake the ham the night before and it just seemed the logical thing to do!  (I have a bigger oven now and can bake the ham on Christmas day).

Everyone's Christmas fare sounds delicious.  I've been scanning Taste for ideas.  I found a gorgeous recipe for standing rib eye with truffle aoili wub.gif  It's now put a different spin on our lunch.  I think beef with aoili would be more suited to having side salads rather than hot vegetables.

Anyway care to suggest what they would have with a baked ham and a standing rib eye?  I'm perhaps being rather cautious having hot vegetables.  When I think about it, I could save time by having salads.

Edited by Funnington, 01 December 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#8 Finch

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

I'm a fan of a hot Christmas lunch. I'd stick with veggies OP original.gif

#9 naturalgoodness

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

We love hot Xmas lunch! We have turkey, boneless stuffed pork roast with all the warm vegetables and gravy. We also have a seafood platter & ham on the bone. Dessert is Xmas pudding, sticky date pudding and small pastries.

I also buy a cooked chicken & salad for boxing day as we have more people over for lunch.

We then enjoy leftovers for a little while!

Xmas breakfast is always ham and cheese croissants, dinner is left overs from lunch (if you have room!)

#10 gina70

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

We start the day with buttermilk hotcakes with lots of toppings and then we are heading to my niece's for hot lunch.  I make pavlovas for dessert.  Dinner will be cold meats and salads.

#11 Lim Lam

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

We always have seafood and salads, but this yr Im adding in a roast.

4 dozen oysters, half kilpatrick and half natural.
tequila prawns with pineapple salsa
Chicken cold
Ham cold
Roast Lamb with roast veg and gravy
potato salad
tossed salad
coleslaw

baked choc cheesecake
Xmas pudding with custard
Yummy salted caramel icecream

#12 CharliMarley

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Roast Turkey, Roast Pork and roast vegetables and for dessert - trifle and I want to try that christmas pudding that Coles has advertised - it looks yummy.

Oh and some prawns for me, as everyone else doesn't eat them. What are the best to buy? I was looking at the tails last week, without the heads, because I don't like shelling prawns.

#13 kpingitquiet

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Ok, no one eating leftover turkey sandwiches is just wrong wink.gif

But I would probably do individual stuffed quails for everyone with a cherry and almond stuffing. Small, single-serve bird with no leftovers and seasonal flavors in the stuffing.

#14 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

It's just Mum, DF and I for Christmas Day this year... so on the 25th we'll have some prawns (already shelled) and I think I'll get a small leg ham. Then we'll have potato salad and sweet potato and green bean salad with balsamic vinegar and sweet chilly dressing. Then we have pudding for dessert original.gif

I love hot ham sandwiches with mashed potato and peas after Christmas. I have it pretty much every meal until the ham is gone LOL

For our Christmas celebration on the 5th I think we'll do a roast, though it depends on the weather.

#15 citylife

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

Breakfast at home: me, DH and kids usually have croissants but this yr having pancakes with strawberries, maple syrup and ice cream smoked salmon and Philly on biscuits and champange/ appletizer.
Then off to parents for lunch and there will be prawns, oysters roast pork roast lamb, smashed potatos, green beans with slivered almonds, pumpkin and rocket salad, smoked salmon salad  plum pudding with cream and brandy sauce, creme caramel, Oreo cheesecake, ice cream pudding, and lots of alcohol to wash it down wink.gif lots of kids so special platter of sweet treats for them

#16 Dionysus

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

We have fairly traditional christmas meals here.

girls christmas lunch the week before christmas (we are all teachers).  It is bring-a-plate style and we take turns hosting each year.  I always do a glazed ham, others do vegies, turkey rolls, etc.  About 20 ppl

sunday before christmas at ILs.  I will just make christmas treats (truffles, biscuits etc...).  Lunch will be hot meats and veg dishes.  LOTS of chocolates and a smorgasbord of desserts - my MIL tends to go a bit OTT  LOL

christmas eve at my house.  We will have a massive bowl of prawns, and big antipasta platters and a cheesecake.  About 10 ppl.

christmas breakfast is just the 3 of us.  We will have hot ham and cheese croissants, as that is what DH grew up with.

christmas lunch is at my brother's.  I will do the ham, SIL will do turkey and veg dishes.  I think there will be about 20 ppl

#17 MissButtercup

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

Yummo!

This year is our first Christmas at home and so far I've planned

Breakfast
Bacon & Eggs - maybe smoked salmon instead of bacon

Lunch
Entree - yabby salad?

Main - Roasted stuffed turkey breast - think bacon, porcini, cranberries etc...
Honey and mustard glazed ham
Roast spuds
Broccoli salad of some sort
Maybe honey glazed carrots

Desert
Fruit salad & pudding

Dinner
Left over meat and maybe lamb or pork roast
Coleslaw
Green salad with halomi
Scalloped potatoes......

Oh and lots of cherries to nibble on original.gif

#18 Possum_gal

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

Haven't quite decided on entree yet. Might just be a few nibblies, like dips, cheeses and pate. Everyone has big breakfast's planned from the sounds of it.

Lunch

Chicken terrine ( MIL speciality)
Turkey
Lamb shoulder roast on bbq
Prawns

Sides
Tomato and zucchini bake
Warm roasted pumpkin and potato salad
Asparagus and bean salad
Roasted garlic and rosemary baby carrots
Roasted lemon and garlic baby beetroot

Dessert
Plum pudding
Mini pavlova and fresh berry baskets
Fruit platter

Will have a small piece of ham and a garden salad to go with any leftovers for dinner.

#19 Funnington

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

I've almost finalised my food for Christmas.  It's a very safe menu, nothing too complicated.  (I've been inspired by Jamie Oliver recently to serve everything on big chopping boards and platters for a rustic, warm feeling).

I've bought most of the food (except fresh vegetables and the ham) which I'll get closer to the day.

Lunch:

- Herb crusted standing rib eye beef with truffle oil mayonnaise
- Baked free-range ham with a glaze of mustard and marmalade
- Chicken breasts stuff with feta, herbs, garlic and wrapped in prosciutto (pan fried and sliced to serve)
- Roasted hassleback potatoes (maybe dutch creams or kipfler's)
- French beans with a mustard and caper dressing
- Roasted carrots (in mayple syrup)
- Fresh pod peas (with fresh mint maybe?)
- Pan juice gravy from the standing rib eye

Dessert

- Chocolate ripple cake (I'm crud at desserts, this is about my skill level!)

Dinner

- Leftover ham
- Any other leftover meat (if there is any chicken or beef, I've only bought just enough for lunch because I hate leftovers!)
- Corned beef (slow cooked in balsamic vinegar and eschalot onions)
- Homemade coleslaw
- More roasted hassleback potatoes (not leftover, cooked fresh) or maybe a nice potato salad with a dressing of 1/2 sour cream, 1/2 whole egg mayo and horseradish cream

Of course, nibbles will be the traditional bowl of cherries, toffee's, nuts, after dinner mints.

Does everyone think the flavours will mesh well?  Do I need anything else as sides for lunch?

#20 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

My biggest decision now is whose place am I going to crash for Christmas!!

#21 jmaz86

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

I have two xmas's to celebrate this year. I am at my mums on xmas eve and I designed the menu plan which is as follows:

Roast Lamb
Roast Pork
Ham
Prawns
Garden salad
Crunchy salad
Rocket and fig salad
Sticky date Xmas pudding

With all the trimmings...

On xmas day I will be at MIL and they do some prawns, chicken skewers, ham, general salads and cake.

#22 ~cake~

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

This year it's just DH, the kids and my mum (woohoo!)

Breakfast is always smoked salmon and scrambled eggs with fizzy and fresh orange juice.

I plan on doing a ham a day or two befor Christmas (we're going away on Boxing Day), so we can snack on ham for lunch. Thinking a marmalade or maple glaze - haven't decided yet.

Will then have the main meal aroun 4pm or so. Lots of seafood to start - might send DH out to dive for scallops the day before, but will otherwise buy some, plus prawns too. Then I'll butterfly out a leg of lamb to put on the BBQ, which we'll have with some yet to be determined salads. Dessert is Christmas pudding which I made back in October, and I think my mum will make a trifle. Will get some ice cream for the kids and they'll be happy!

Plan on doing some fun Christmas baking with the kids too - Santa cake pops, gingerbread house etc.

#23 SW-

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

Start the day with croissants, nice cheeses, smoked salmon and ham.

Head down to the beach with cheese and dips for a light lunch.

Dinner

Garlic prawns
Asian style steamed snapper
Pork belly
Ham
Few salads ( still deciding on which ones)

Dessert home made baklava
And pavlova

#24 Funnington

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

Start the day with croissants, nice cheeses, smoked salmon and ham.

I completely forgot about breakfast wacko.gif  I've always got English muffins in the freezer and bacon & eggs, so maybe eggs benedict - or just Christmas lollies laugh.gif

#25 hopefulus

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Breakfast we're spending at my in-laws home. They traditionally serve eggs benedict, fruit salad served with champagne

Mum is French so we're having some French dishes for our Christmas Lunch:

Entree
Ham with honey mustard
Garlic bread

Main
Turkey with fruit stuffing served with sweet potato, mushrooms in lemon sauce and french peas

Cheese Platter

Dessert
Buche de Noel (Yuletide Log)

After Dinner
Liquer Chocolates

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.