Christmas Menu
What are you planning on cooking?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Funnington

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

We have a full day at home this year wub.gif  pure bliss, no rushing out after lunch.

I will be hosting my parents-in-law for lunch and close friends for dinner.  Christmas food planning (and cooking) is my favourite aspect of the day.

At this stage, I plan to cook a standing rib eye roast and bake a free-range ham.  Sides - I'm not entirely sure yet.  But, I think it will be a hot lunch, so baked vegetables and maybe french beans, glazed dutch carrots.  Dinner will be leftover ham, homemade coleslaw and hassleback potatoes.  Easy.

Dessert, no idea whatsoever.  

Given the small numbers, I want to keep meat to a minimum.  No-one eats the leftover meat.  The dog has a lovely few days post-Christmas roll2.gif

So, what are you planning?  Hot, cold food?  Traditional, BBQ, smorgasboard?

#2 Pearson

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

Cold meats, chicken ham etc, maybe some prawns
Salads, rolls
Don't know for dessert either.

#3 knittingkitten

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

We always have a seafood Christmas, lots of prawns, oysters and crabs, sometimes lobster. Last year we had the seafood with a roast carrot/haloumi salad and a waldorf salad.
Dessert is always pudding. We had one from the farmer's market near us- it was a traditional one but with chocolate and orange too. Delicious!

We rarely vary from this type of lunch. My FIL is an easygoing man but don't mess with his Christmas lunch!

Christmas breakfast is scrambled eggs and hot smoked ocean trout.
Dinner is normally ham and salad if anyone can fit it in.
I like to do a roast pork with crackling for Christmas Eve dinner too.
We are really into our food! wink.gif

Edited by knittingkitten, 01 December 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#4 Mrs Bouquet

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Trifle for dessert?

#5 lisacat

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Nibbles
Chips
choc nuts and sultanas
Mixed nuts
Poco sticks
Pretzels
Salmon dip
Cheese platter

Main
Ham
Chicken
Prawns
Lamb
Green salad
Potato salad
Coleslaw
Pasta salad

Dessert
Pudding
Trifle
Cold rock cake
Home made ferrero rocher

#6 BearBait

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

KnittingKitten Yum. That sounds fantastic.

We're in the Northern Hemisphere so it's snowing outside & we have roast turkey & duck with cranberry sauce, English plum pudding is set alight at the table and served with brandy white sauce.

#7 Funnington

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

I like to do a roast pork with crackling for Christmas Eve dinner too.

For a couple of years we had ham and coleslaw for Christmas Eve dinner.  It was by default though, I'd bake the ham the night before and it just seemed the logical thing to do!  (I have a bigger oven now and can bake the ham on Christmas day).

Everyone's Christmas fare sounds delicious.  I've been scanning Taste for ideas.  I found a gorgeous recipe for standing rib eye with truffle aoili wub.gif  It's now put a different spin on our lunch.  I think beef with aoili would be more suited to having side salads rather than hot vegetables.

Anyway care to suggest what they would have with a baked ham and a standing rib eye?  I'm perhaps being rather cautious having hot vegetables.  When I think about it, I could save time by having salads.

Edited by Funnington, 01 December 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#8 Finch

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

I'm a fan of a hot Christmas lunch. I'd stick with veggies OP original.gif

#9 naturalgoodness

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

We love hot Xmas lunch! We have turkey, boneless stuffed pork roast with all the warm vegetables and gravy. We also have a seafood platter & ham on the bone. Dessert is Xmas pudding, sticky date pudding and small pastries.

I also buy a cooked chicken & salad for boxing day as we have more people over for lunch.

We then enjoy leftovers for a little while!

Xmas breakfast is always ham and cheese croissants, dinner is left overs from lunch (if you have room!)

#10 gina70

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:08 PM

We start the day with buttermilk hotcakes with lots of toppings and then we are heading to my niece's for hot lunch.  I make pavlovas for dessert.  Dinner will be cold meats and salads.

#11 Lim Lam

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

We always have seafood and salads, but this yr Im adding in a roast.

4 dozen oysters, half kilpatrick and half natural.
tequila prawns with pineapple salsa
Chicken cold
Ham cold
Roast Lamb with roast veg and gravy
potato salad
tossed salad
coleslaw

baked choc cheesecake
Xmas pudding with custard
Yummy salted caramel icecream

#12 CharliMarley

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

Roast Turkey, Roast Pork and roast vegetables and for dessert - trifle and I want to try that christmas pudding that Coles has advertised - it looks yummy.

Oh and some prawns for me, as everyone else doesn't eat them. What are the best to buy? I was looking at the tails last week, without the heads, because I don't like shelling prawns.

#13 kpingitquiet

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:07 PM

Ok, no one eating leftover turkey sandwiches is just wrong wink.gif

But I would probably do individual stuffed quails for everyone with a cherry and almond stuffing. Small, single-serve bird with no leftovers and seasonal flavors in the stuffing.

#14 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

It's just Mum, DF and I for Christmas Day this year... so on the 25th we'll have some prawns (already shelled) and I think I'll get a small leg ham. Then we'll have potato salad and sweet potato and green bean salad with balsamic vinegar and sweet chilly dressing. Then we have pudding for dessert original.gif

I love hot ham sandwiches with mashed potato and peas after Christmas. I have it pretty much every meal until the ham is gone LOL

For our Christmas celebration on the 5th I think we'll do a roast, though it depends on the weather.

#15 citylife

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

Breakfast at home: me, DH and kids usually have croissants but this yr having pancakes with strawberries, maple syrup and ice cream smoked salmon and Philly on biscuits and champange/ appletizer.
Then off to parents for lunch and there will be prawns, oysters roast pork roast lamb, smashed potatos, green beans with slivered almonds, pumpkin and rocket salad, smoked salmon salad  plum pudding with cream and brandy sauce, creme caramel, Oreo cheesecake, ice cream pudding, and lots of alcohol to wash it down wink.gif lots of kids so special platter of sweet treats for them

#16 Dionysus

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

We have fairly traditional christmas meals here.

girls christmas lunch the week before christmas (we are all teachers).  It is bring-a-plate style and we take turns hosting each year.  I always do a glazed ham, others do vegies, turkey rolls, etc.  About 20 ppl

sunday before christmas at ILs.  I will just make christmas treats (truffles, biscuits etc...).  Lunch will be hot meats and veg dishes.  LOTS of chocolates and a smorgasbord of desserts - my MIL tends to go a bit OTT  LOL

christmas eve at my house.  We will have a massive bowl of prawns, and big antipasta platters and a cheesecake.  About 10 ppl.

christmas breakfast is just the 3 of us.  We will have hot ham and cheese croissants, as that is what DH grew up with.

christmas lunch is at my brother's.  I will do the ham, SIL will do turkey and veg dishes.  I think there will be about 20 ppl

#17 MissButtercup

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

Yummo!

This year is our first Christmas at home and so far I've planned

Breakfast
Bacon & Eggs - maybe smoked salmon instead of bacon

Lunch
Entree - yabby salad?

Main - Roasted stuffed turkey breast - think bacon, porcini, cranberries etc...
Honey and mustard glazed ham
Roast spuds
Broccoli salad of some sort
Maybe honey glazed carrots

Desert
Fruit salad & pudding

Dinner
Left over meat and maybe lamb or pork roast
Coleslaw
Green salad with halomi
Scalloped potatoes......

Oh and lots of cherries to nibble on original.gif

#18 Possum_gal

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

Haven't quite decided on entree yet. Might just be a few nibblies, like dips, cheeses and pate. Everyone has big breakfast's planned from the sounds of it.

Lunch

Chicken terrine ( MIL speciality)
Turkey
Lamb shoulder roast on bbq
Prawns

Sides
Tomato and zucchini bake
Warm roasted pumpkin and potato salad
Asparagus and bean salad
Roasted garlic and rosemary baby carrots
Roasted lemon and garlic baby beetroot

Dessert
Plum pudding
Mini pavlova and fresh berry baskets
Fruit platter

Will have a small piece of ham and a garden salad to go with any leftovers for dinner.

#19 Funnington

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

I've almost finalised my food for Christmas.  It's a very safe menu, nothing too complicated.  (I've been inspired by Jamie Oliver recently to serve everything on big chopping boards and platters for a rustic, warm feeling).

I've bought most of the food (except fresh vegetables and the ham) which I'll get closer to the day.

Lunch:

- Herb crusted standing rib eye beef with truffle oil mayonnaise
- Baked free-range ham with a glaze of mustard and marmalade
- Chicken breasts stuff with feta, herbs, garlic and wrapped in prosciutto (pan fried and sliced to serve)
- Roasted hassleback potatoes (maybe dutch creams or kipfler's)
- French beans with a mustard and caper dressing
- Roasted carrots (in mayple syrup)
- Fresh pod peas (with fresh mint maybe?)
- Pan juice gravy from the standing rib eye

Dessert

- Chocolate ripple cake (I'm crud at desserts, this is about my skill level!)

Dinner

- Leftover ham
- Any other leftover meat (if there is any chicken or beef, I've only bought just enough for lunch because I hate leftovers!)
- Corned beef (slow cooked in balsamic vinegar and eschalot onions)
- Homemade coleslaw
- More roasted hassleback potatoes (not leftover, cooked fresh) or maybe a nice potato salad with a dressing of 1/2 sour cream, 1/2 whole egg mayo and horseradish cream

Of course, nibbles will be the traditional bowl of cherries, toffee's, nuts, after dinner mints.

Does everyone think the flavours will mesh well?  Do I need anything else as sides for lunch?

#20 Cranky Old Woman

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

My biggest decision now is whose place am I going to crash for Christmas!!

#21 jmaz86

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

I have two xmas's to celebrate this year. I am at my mums on xmas eve and I designed the menu plan which is as follows:

Roast Lamb
Roast Pork
Ham
Prawns
Garden salad
Crunchy salad
Rocket and fig salad
Sticky date Xmas pudding

With all the trimmings...

On xmas day I will be at MIL and they do some prawns, chicken skewers, ham, general salads and cake.

#22 ~cake~

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:45 PM

This year it's just DH, the kids and my mum (woohoo!)

Breakfast is always smoked salmon and scrambled eggs with fizzy and fresh orange juice.

I plan on doing a ham a day or two befor Christmas (we're going away on Boxing Day), so we can snack on ham for lunch. Thinking a marmalade or maple glaze - haven't decided yet.

Will then have the main meal aroun 4pm or so. Lots of seafood to start - might send DH out to dive for scallops the day before, but will otherwise buy some, plus prawns too. Then I'll butterfly out a leg of lamb to put on the BBQ, which we'll have with some yet to be determined salads. Dessert is Christmas pudding which I made back in October, and I think my mum will make a trifle. Will get some ice cream for the kids and they'll be happy!

Plan on doing some fun Christmas baking with the kids too - Santa cake pops, gingerbread house etc.

#23 SW-

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

Start the day with croissants, nice cheeses, smoked salmon and ham.

Head down to the beach with cheese and dips for a light lunch.

Dinner

Garlic prawns
Asian style steamed snapper
Pork belly
Ham
Few salads ( still deciding on which ones)

Dessert home made baklava
And pavlova

#24 Funnington

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

Start the day with croissants, nice cheeses, smoked salmon and ham.

I completely forgot about breakfast wacko.gif  I've always got English muffins in the freezer and bacon & eggs, so maybe eggs benedict - or just Christmas lollies laugh.gif

#25 hopefulus

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Breakfast we're spending at my in-laws home. They traditionally serve eggs benedict, fruit salad served with champagne

Mum is French so we're having some French dishes for our Christmas Lunch:

Entree
Ham with honey mustard
Garlic bread

Main
Turkey with fruit stuffing served with sweet potato, mushrooms in lemon sauce and french peas

Cheese Platter

Dessert
Buche de Noel (Yuletide Log)

After Dinner
Liquer Chocolates

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Dying mum saves baby with last breath

Dying from a gunshot wound, Jessica Arrendale used the last of her energy to hide her baby from her killer.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.