How booze rots your baby's brain

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 red_squirrel

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Just read this in another online newspaper.

The pictures are pretty startling. I thought it was rather timely given how many women on here think moderate alcohol wont effect their baby.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/parenting...a-1226527016561

#2 duckasorus

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

I have shared on facebook.

We had a family member continue to do drugs and drink and now her child has heart problems, born 2 month prem and underweight and is now having eye problems, size of a small one year old at four and is under going other diaganos.

Safest choice is to not drink, if you NEED that drink get some fizzy juice :-)

#3 Green Door

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

That photo is so old and also fake!

#4 Mozzie1

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

I find it very hard to believe that the damage shown is caused by 'moderate amounts of alcohol' - whatever that means (my moderate might be your light drinking).

If moderate alcohol caused that kind of damage, most of my generation would be impaired - our mothers all drank when they were pregnant with us.

And for the record, no, I am not drinking while pregnant.

#5 suline

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

So according to the article, 60% of women drink alcohol while pregnant, but only 2% of babies are born with FAS?

Edited by suline, 30 November 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#6 wonder woman

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE (Mozzie1 @ 30/11/2012, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find it very hard to believe that the damage shown is caused by 'moderate amounts of alcohol' - whatever that means (my moderate might be your light drinking).

The photo is of the shrunken brain of a six-week old baby whose mother drank heavily during pregnancy.

QUOTE (suline @ 30/11/2012, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So according to the article, 60% of women drink alcohol while pregnant, but only 2% of babies are born with FAS?

Australian women, Tasmanian babies original.gif

Edited by wonder woman, 30 November 2012 - 06:54 PM.

#7 Ruffles

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

I have seen FAS, quite a few times.  And the mothers did not drink what I would consider to be "moderate".  

I did drink when I was pregnant with both of mine.  1/2 a glass of champagne at a wedding.  The odd 1/4 wine 3/4 soda when out.  Even Lemon/lime/bitters has a fraction of alcohol.  That is what I consider "moderate".  Less than 1 standard drink a month, even.

So shoot me for being an "educated, middle class, drinking when pregnant" woman.  You cannot tell me that I put my children at risk of FAS.  

If moderate alcohol caused that kind of damage, most of my generation would be impaired - our mothers all drank when they were pregnant with us.

+1.

The average baby-in-utero is more at risk every time the mother gets into a car than they are from the level of drinking I and my friends indulged in. rolleyes.gif

#8 EsmeLennox

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

Whenever this kind of thing comes up I am totally surprised that there are so few children with FAS if small or even moderate amounts of alcohol cause it.

No one's going to dispute that large amounts of alcohol causes harm, but the jury is still out on smaller amounts.

Surely France should be positively overrun?

#9 purplekitty

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (Green Door @ 30/11/2012, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why is it fake?
QUOTE (Mozzie1 @ 30/11/2012, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It says in the article the baby has FASD and the mother was drinking heavily in pregnancy.

#10 Green Door

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Its fake because its been around for years and years. Google it ,

#11 Green Door

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

Oh and because my obgyn told me its just a scare tactic.
Everyone knkws drinking heavy during pregnancy its not good for you or your baby. But a glass here and there is fine.

#12 livvie7586

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (Green Door @ 30/11/2012, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it does show how the brains are in comparison though, fake or not.  one of the unis in sydney have a normal brain and an FAS brain on display, they look much the same as what the photos show.

The main thing i always get from these type of things is that's heavy drinking, that is what shows up easily.  but how many mild cases are there that just get brushed off as something else?

#13 CallMeProtart

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 30/11/2012, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whenever this kind of thing comes up I am totally surprised that there are so few children with FAS if small or even moderate amounts of alcohol cause it.

No one's going to dispute that large amounts of alcohol causes harm, but the jury is still out on smaller amounts.

Surely France should be positively overrun?

Good point.
But why let logic get in the way of a good alarmist picture?

#14 CallMeProtart

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (livvie7586 @ 30/11/2012, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The main thing i always get from these type of things is that's heavy drinking, that is what shows up easily.  but how many mild cases are there that just get brushed off as something else?

It's a reasonable conclusion. But the alternate one is - how many things, in excess, DON'T do damage in pregnancy? Caffeine, sugar, exercise - all of those things can be problematic if done to excess, but within a normal range there is no known damage by them at all.

#15 Crodka

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

I had about 1 drink a week while pregnant - my baby is perfectly healthy - if anything she is better for it  ph34r.gif
I also ate cold chicken, ham, prawns, feta...... I just did things sensibly though, all in moderation and from reliable sources.

#16 MinkyMonkey

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

Damn, after the week I've had I was having I was planning on taking up drinking.

In all seriousness I have read enough research on FASD (not just full blown FAS) to completely abstain during pregnancy personally but believe everyone has the right to make their own risk assessments.

#17 LifesGood

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

"Women in their 40s are more than twice as likely as the under-25s to drink while pregnant."

That's because we have had time to read ALL the research on the subject and not just that published by news.com. And we know how to have just one glass of wine a week, not two bottles of Jim Beam.

They always trot out this statistic. I'd like to know what % of babies born to women in their 40s suffer from FAS. I'll bet it's practically 0.

#18 epl0822

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

My former colleague didn't discover her pregnancy until she was borderline second trimester and she drank moderately during the first, unknowingly. The obstetrician basically told her not to worry and just don't drink anymore, but the chances of any harm done to the baby was very unlikely.

I'm all for encouraging pregnant women to reconsider alcohol intake during pregnancy but I don't like the scare mongering and unnecessary hysteria. It's a personal choice whether a woman chooses to drink or not and as long as she's not boozing up every day getting drunk out of her mind, I don't have a problem with it. It's not my business to interfere.

#19 suline

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

I don't believe it is fake - I have read the original article published by Stering Clarren, and he examined 3 or 4 brains when children had died directly from FAS - in all cases the women were heavy/chronic binge drinkers. Obviously it was severe enough FAS to actually lead to death.

Most brain damaged cause by antenatal alcohol exposure causes more subtle looking changes, to specific parts of the brain so I think the picture used is very alarmist.

I really don't think making women feel guilty for drinking a glass of champagne at a wedding or christmas is helpful.

#20 purplekitty

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (Green Door @ 30/11/2012, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its fake because its been around for years and years. Google it ,
Google what. It's not fake, just often referenced.
Sterling Clarren

#21 WithSprinkles

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

Of course there are always people in these threads who say "I drank during my pregnancy and my baby is fine". However, none of the current research can give us an indication of a safe level of alcohol.I doubt that researchers will ever be able to do a proper randomised control study as it would not be ethical.

Simply put, the safest option is not drinking during pregnancy. However, people will weigh up the risks themselves and make a decision.

Full blown Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is not all that common, however Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders are more common (and thought to be much more common than the statistics show due to the difficulty directly linking disorders such as ADHD, learning difficulties etc to maternal alcohol consumption).

In the end, I think it's worth educating people of the possible risks. I don't see it as "scare mongering", but then again, I have met several children with FAS so perhaps I have a different view than those who haven't.

#22 soontobegran

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (Green Door @ 30/11/2012, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh and because my obgyn told me its just a scare tactic.
Everyone knkws drinking heavy during pregnancy its not good for you or your baby. But a glass here and there is fine.

Your obstetrician should not tell you that when every drug and alcohol association world wide recommends zero alcohol consumption when pregnant. Scare tactics? FGS! mad.gif
There doesn't have to be a visible FAS to have been adversely affected by alcohol, there are a whole range of deficits now being attributed to alcohol from physical and behavioural issues to learning difficulties.

It is alcohol, not oxgen or water.....if you can not go without to ensure with 100% certainty that your child will not be effected then IMO it's a little sad.

#23 soontobegran

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (VanillaIcecream @ 30/11/2012, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have met several children with FAS so perhaps I have a different view than those who haven't.

I actually think many people have met children with FASD but they just don't realise it because they do not always have the typical FAS features.
Of course there is still the belief that it will 'never happen to them' sad.gif

#24 Green Door

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

My DR was [details removed] from sydney nsw. The best obgyn i have ever meet. I trust his word above  everything i read on the internet.

Edited by EBeditor, 01 December 2012 - 03:02 PM.
Edited for legal reasons

#25 Jane Jetson

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

I hate these threads. Yeah, I abstained completely after I discovered I was pregnant, but in my experience all these threads do is scare people who consumed alcohol before they realised they were pregnant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Sara James: fighting for my daughter

Sara James was a high-profile New York journalist, but it was her own daughter's story which raised the most questions.

Siblings and best of friends

I know we'll have some tense moments. I know there will be arguments. But I also know these two will always have this most beautiful bond.

In defence of mums on the phone

I know news stories always attract a range of opinions, and I know they're a place for people to have an anonymous dig in. However, I also know that this mum bashing has to stop.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Pregnancy essentials for the second and third trimesters

So you're through the first trimester of pregnancy - congratulations! Here are some tips for getting through the next six months as comfortably and happily as possible.

Coles Easter eggs recalled due to presence of tree nuts

An allergic reaction has lead to the urgent recall of a variety of Coles brand Easter eggs.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Why I love the small age gap between my kids

Six months after our son turned one, we welcomed son number two into our lives. Yes, the small age gap had been planned - and there are things I love and hate about that small gap.

Parents warned about posting kids' photos online

Parents could be putting their kids at risk by posting images and information online which give away personal details, such as where they go to school and which parks they frequent.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Mum's the word when it comes to baby news

The arrival of a baby is big news, but friends and family need to understand it is not their news to share.

What?s in your parenting toolbox?

So often as parents, we don?t really talk about our ?parenting toolboxes?. But you need to be aware of what you and your partner are working with, and to decide what does and doesn't fit in your lives.

Classroom pregnancy prank goes viral

An American college professor has had to rethink his strict rule about answering cell phones in class after being the victim of an April Fools' prank that has gone viral.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Video: Dad turns son into action movie hero

Many kids would love to be an action movie hero in real life, but very few will ever be able to see themselves in movies like these.

Toilet training in winter

There?s no need to stop thinking about toilet training just because the temperature is dropping: winter is a good a time as any to start the process.

What do you do all day?

It's the question all new mothers dread. For Kate Fridkis, it's a question that strikes to the heart of what it is to be a woman.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Video: Baby starts his day with a dance party

Few people start their day the same way this little guy does ? dancing, smiling, and generally having an awesome time.

IKEA announces bed canopy recall

IKEA has recalled its range of bed canopies designed to suspend above children?s beds following reported cases of injuries and entanglement.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.