Daycare giving 11 month old cake?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 clrw

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

When DP picked DS up from daycare today they had given him cake. He had never had cake before. We don't feed him sweets. We won't hold out forever but don't see the point giving him junk this early.

Would you have an issue with it? How forceful have you had to be with daycare about food/sweets?

#2 InsertAwesomeHere

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

DS1's first cake was at his first birthday so not too far off. DS3 has cupcakes occasionally at daycare.

It's only sometimes so I'm not too worried about it. He eats very well there otherwise.

#3 Ice Queen

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

I wouldnt be fussed at all.  But I dont think of cake as 'junk'.  Yes, it has sugar but a nice homemade cake has all decent yummy things in it, nothing wrong with butter, eggs, decent quality cocoa and flour imo as long as it is in moderation.  Far less junkie than a muesli bar or even some rubbish bought rice cake or crackers.

I bet he LOVED it!  My DS loves a piece of my homemade banana or chocolate cake!  biggrin.gif

#4 becstar101

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

I wouldn't be fussed, I assume it was a celebration for another child's birthday?

If you have an issue, just let the staff know that you'd prefer no cake/sweets in the future.

#5 Mung bean

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

I'm a bit the same as you OP, my Ds didn't have cake even for his first birthday. Now he will have bananna cake that I make him and I am more laxed now that he is 19 months old.

I'd be a bit annoyed that they didn't check first with me.

#6 SplashingRainbows

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Wouldn't bother me.

I know daycare (in NSW) have to include pretty well 100% of the recommended served of fruit/veg/dairy etc. if there's some occasional cake in there too that's ok with me. Everything in moderation.

#7 No-pants Agnodice

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

Meh. If it was every day I'd complain. If it was an unlimited amount i'd complain. As a tiny piece in addition to an otherwise healthy afternoo tea? I'd be glad my child was being tught about how to consume 'sometimes foods' in moderation.

There is no lesson in 'hiding' junk food from kids. They all discover it eventually, and the ones who aren't taught to consume it with self control have no skills to deal with it.

Also depends what they call 'cake'. At ours, 'cake' is a tiny piece of sugar free banana bread.

#8 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Whilst I don't have a problem with DS having a taste of cake every now and then, I think the day care centre should check with you that you're okay with it before giving it to them.

#9 ziggy72

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

DS1 had his first cake for his first birthday - that siad he didn't like it.

DS2 was around his older brother so had more or less whatever was around.

I don't think it is a big deal, we enjoy a healthy diet and some treats. Works fine for us. But it is your right, so speak to the childcare if you feel strongly.

#10 HerringToMarmalade

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

We were just discussing this at work. If we want to give out candy canes (to primary school aged kids) we need signed permission notes from every single child, but theres nothing for cake. Not sure why.

#11 noonehere

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:13 PM

Daily i would be annoyed. Once a week/fortnight/month and ownly a small slice i wouldnt care.

Im a little of everything person apart from cordial and fizzy, thats banned in the house.

#12 Mpjp is feral

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

A highly restrictive diet has been shown to have adverse effects. Children that are taught the concept of 'everything in moderation' and specifically what 'moderation means have been shown to have better health outcomes.

When I was an Uni studying nutrition we were shown a very old, well known study oin actual children that changed my thoughts about my own childrens nutrition.

Ancedotally, it also explained to me why when my brother & sister left home they gained 18 and 30kg after our sugar free, meat free, junk free, only eating at specific times etc etc etc upbringing, whereas I (and my sister) ended up with eating disorders!

#13 steffijade81

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

I don't give DD2 lollies, soft drink etc but wouldnt have a problem with a little piece of cake or something similar. I don't think you really should be angry about it but if you have strict guidelines for what food your child is allowed to eat I would recommend giving the daycare a written list of what you don't allow. It was probably a celebration of some sort and everyone was having some. I get your point about junk and I agree but I don't see cake as junk. I see junk as food/drink that have zero nutritional value like lollies/soft drink and the like.

#14 pitzinoodles

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

No I wouldn't have a problem with an occasional small piece of cake at CC.

I bet he loved it biggrin.gif

#15 jeska~and~her~secret

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

I'm going to disagree with most, and say that I would mind.
DD is nearly 3 and hardly ever has sugar. In the last year, I have relaxed a bit and allowed her to share whatever it is that we are having, but as we don't eat much sugar either, it's still rare that she would have cake. She doesn't drink juice or eat icecream or anything like that.
My friends who are mothers tend to also restrict sugar, so although DD goes on lots of playdates, she is not offered sugary snacks while there.
I would expect (and do expect) our child-care centre to do the same.

meplainjanebrain - that is a really interesting thought though, that moderation is the key. I don't plan on holding DD to a low-sugar diet forever, I just want her to be filled with non-sugar options for as long as I can manage it. Her birthday and that of many of her friends (through mothers' group) is coming up and I expect the parties to have lots of lollies and chocolate etc, and that is fine. Day-to-day, though (and that includes childcare) I will be trying to use fruit and honey as sweeteners.

ETA: for me if it was a sugar-free cake, I would be fine with it. Wheat-free, even better (I bake with alternatives, mostly).

Edited by jeska~and~her~secret, 30 November 2012 - 06:56 PM.

#16 EsmeLennox

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Oh FFS, they didn't give him arsenic.

Cake is not inherently bad - in fact many cakes contain all sorts of things that form a part of a BALANCED diet. Nothing wrong with restricting sugar, but many cakes actually do not have enormous amounts of sugar in them.

And really, that moderation is the key is a new and interesting concept?

Candy canes, on the other hand, are 100% sugar and purely confectionary.

Edited by Jemstar, 30 November 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#17 Guest_- Poppy -_*

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

As a first time parent if DS was given cake at 11 months old I would of been very upset.

But now he is two I can see its not the end of the world but at the time I would of been horrified.

#18 eachschoolholidays

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

Sheeesh....

Did you tell them he was not to have sweet food?  If not, you have no cause for complaint.  A small slice of cake to (presumably) celebrate a birthday is entirely natural.

An alternative thread to this one is:

Should I complain?  My child was excluded at daycare because he wasnt allowed cake..."

#19 casime

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Yet more evidence that EB exists in a parallel universe.

#20 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

For me it would depend on the cake.   A nice homemade cake with eggs, milk, flour, sugar, spices, fruit etc is fine.   I'd be a bit antsy if he got something branded like a Krispy Kreme or something with masses of artificial colours and flavours as I try to avoid those.

I don't get the theory that not giving them sugar will prevent a sweet tooth.   Fruit tastes way sweeter than cake.  As does breastmilk IMO.

#21 ubermum

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

First child I would have been extremely annoyed that cc had given it to my child. By the third child my only response would be "did she like it?"

#22 I'm Batman

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

What was he going to get for his birthday? No cake?

Edited by I'm Batman, 30 November 2012 - 07:55 PM.

#23 Ally'smum

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

I wouldn't be okay with it.

We start child care soon and our child has an egg allergy, I thought they only gave them the food on the menu?

Now I have something else to worry about!

#24 SplashingRainbows

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (loggedin @ 30/11/2012, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We start child care soon and our child has an egg allergy, I thought they only gave them the food on the menu?

Our beautiful centre make sure they factor in everyone's allergies. They make a dairy free cake for my son, and have gluten free cakes for those who are intolerant/coeliac.

I'm sure they would not use egg if there was a child with an egg allergy.

#25 SeaPrincess

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (loggedin @ 30/11/2012, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One daycare that we've been at asked parents to supply a list of ingredients if they were bringing in a cake. Another asked parents to make a financial contribution and the cook would produce a birthday cake that was suitable for all children - the first one I saw was a princess castle, so the financial contribution did allow them to take it beyond the everyday banana cake!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Two children who were given to the wrong families at birth will soon learn if they will be returned to their biological parents.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.