Fair or not?
abiding by school policies

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#1 bakesgirls

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

Just interested in others thoughts on this. Do you think it's fair that this boy has to cut of his rat's tail or have detention everyday?

I personally think his mother enrolled him knowing the schools policy on 'extreme' hairstyles, so it shouldn't have come as a shock that he isn't allowed to keep his rat's tail if he wishes to remain at the school.

Do you think he has the right to keep it? Do you think (as his mother has said) that if girls can have long hair, then so can boys?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/year-...6-1226526115951

#2 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

Rules are rules, so I think it is fair in that regard.

However, I think it's ridiculous that schools dictate to children how they should wear their hair and I do think if boys want to grow their hair they should be permitted to without consequence the same as girls. Imagine the outrage if a girl child was given detention because she had cut her hair short and the rule was girls must have long hair.

People need to get over giving a sh*t about other people's hair styles.

#3 EsmeLennox

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

If they enrolled at the school knowing full well the policy then they should abide by it.

Generally though, I think policy re hairstyles for kids in schools is stupid and highly irrelevant to educational outcomes.

#4 akkiandmalli

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

its a pretty clear policy. he is not following it. he suffers the consequences. no brainer from me

#5 Cat People

So it's a state school?

I don't think it's fair at all.  It's a state school.  Surely that would be discrimination?

#6 FeralHez

Imho a rats tail is different to a full head ponytail. A rats tail on a girl would also be "extreme" so I don't think she can play the gender  card

#7 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (akkiandmalli @ 30/11/2012, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its a pretty clear policy. he is not following it. he suffers the consequences. no brainer from me

What she said....

#8 Jane F. Jetson

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

If it was up to me everyone in the country would get detention until they chop those stupid things off  laugh.gif

In all honesty though, I can't see what's so wrong about being expected to adhere to a school uniform. And I don't think it's as clear-cut as demanding that girls have long hair (or boys short), it's no different to mohawks being banned when I was at high school.

#9 SeaPrincess

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 30/11/2012, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Imagine the outrage if a girl child was given detention because she had cut her hair short and the rule was girls must have long hair.

Girls at my school did get sent home if their hair was what they deemed "inappropriate".  But parents knew that when they enrolled them, as did this child's mother. Not newsworthy IMO.

#10 CountryFeral

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

This is rather embarrassing to admit but back in 1984 I had a rat tail.

I came back from the school holidays with it and it went un-noticed for a week or so as I tied a ribbon at the top (in school approved colours) and because of the extreme curliness of my hair it looked like a big fat ringlet.

It was only after visiting my big sister in hospital where she had plaited it into 5 tiny plaits and tied five tiny ribbons on each (in school approved colours) that it caught the attention of the staff.

A letter was dispatched to my home and even though Mum hadn't signed a specific 'no rat tail' clause as this boy's mother HAD done she just read it and said "Oh well, off it comes darling!" and that was it.

This child's mother is a twit.

#11 kuhla

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

I just think it's terrible that everything in this story is about the rats tail.  What about the boys education?  Is a rats tail worth not attending school over?  Chop it off or change schools but get back to what you're there for.

#12 Poss and Soss

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

I can not believe rats tails are back 'in'. How disgusting.

As for detention? Absolutely!

The article seems to suggest the child is in detention in class time? I suspect that might be a beat up, though. More likely he is detained at lunch time and not allowed to play with other kids.

I might change my mind about it were it proven he was being excluded from classes.

#13 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (SeaPrincess @ 30/11/2012, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Girls at my school did get sent home if their hair was what they deemed "inappropriate".  But parents knew that when they enrolled them, as did this child's mother. Not newsworthy IMO.

I was referring specifically to the rule in the news article that boys must wear their hair short vs a rule saying girls must wear their hair long. I'm not talking about "inappropriate" hair styles like Mohawks or rats tails.

#14 Hattie

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

The mother is an idiot. She signed her agreement to the no rat tail policy, and now has kept her kid out of school for two weeks in protest.

Julie

#15 NunSoFeral

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

I find it odd that she is willing to potentially damage his reputation and his education (with the two weeks off school) etc to make a point.

Poor kid.

#16 bakesgirls

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (Jane Jetson @ 30/11/2012, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If it was up to me everyone in the country would get detention until they chop those stupid things off  laugh.gif

Absolutely! They're hideous IMO.

I was listening to the radio in my car today and it was a hot topic of discussion. Apparently the mother said that she will keep him out of school if he's not allowed to keep the hairstyle.

I find it more concerning, if what they said about keeping him out of school is true, that his hair is more important than his education.

#17 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

I think she is doolally. Its hair, cut it off and stop making an issue over nothing. If he wants long hair then grow the lot long, the handbook doesn't seem to ban that.

I would say that equally if it were a girl kept in detention for having purple dreadlocks. The school has a policy. They are not following what they signed up for so there are consequences. Respect and compliance are valuable lessons for people to learn, I think this family could do with taking heed of them instead of thinking the right to the child looking ridiculous trumps that.

#18 rabbit hyde

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

The policy was in place and made available to view, the parent chose to allow her child to disobey the policy and these are the consequences.

I don't agree with the policy.  I never liked the restrictions school placed on appearances when I was in school and I don't like it now.

#19 feralangel

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

The 80s was a great time to experiment with hairstyles. My friends and I wore a menagerie of styles in keeping with new romantics/post punk trends.  I went to a state school so it wasn't considered completely outrageous.  My teens were a great time for experimenting with fashion, especially as most of us had to tone it down once we joined the workforce (except those who found employment in the creative fields).  It''s a shame teens can't express themselves without causing a moral panic.

#20 LambChop

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Imagine the outrage if a girl child was given detention because she had cut her hair short and the rule was girls must have long hair.

If she had an extreme cut then it would be same....  boys can have long hair, they just need to wear it tied back.

School policy is clear, no rats tail, kid has one... parenting fail for not following school rules.

Ands whats with 'kid refuses to go to school for 2 weeks' comment from parents.... far out, who is the parent ?

Just ridiculous example of an 'issue', I suspect there would be a whole lot more poor examples at that school too given it feels the need to have to state those sorts of rules.

#21 Cat People

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:28 PM

But why no rat's tail?  If they can have long hair, what's the difference?

Because society has deemed the rat's tail too bogan?  

Discrimination I tells ya!  

And it's a state school.  This mum may have had no choice where to send her kid.  She would have been forced to sign the policy.

#22 Ferelsmegz

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (Jane Jetson @ 30/11/2012, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This!!

They are disgusting... get over it and send him to school.

Good luck when he wants a job.

#23 miinii

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Its in the childs best interest to cut it off.....IT LOOKS RIDICULOUS!!!

#24 rainycat

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

Rats tails are awful, they have always been awful. (sorry countrymel)

The boys mother is not doing him any favours by showing him he doesn't have to follow rules.
Cut the stupid thing off.  Mum signed off on the paperwork, she sounds as if she is arguing for the sake of arguing.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by rainycat, 30 November 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#25 CallMeFeral

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

I had a rats tail when I was about 10 I think... can't remember if I managed to wear it at school or not!

I think it's a stupid policy, but I also think that if it's policy, it's policy, and they should just back down.

However if she had no choice where to send her son, I do think it's unfortunate that she would have been forced to sign a stupid policy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

The #loveyourlines Instagram account taking on body issues

A new Instagram account, LoveYourLines, has put the call out for to change the way we view stretch marks.

Mum gets diploma 51 years after being thrown out of school over pregnancy

Sandra Lantz was about six months pregnant and four months from graduation when she was forced to leave high school. Now, more than half a century later, she has finally graduated.

The lowdown on male midwives

How would you feel about having a male midwife assist your baby's birth? For a growing number of mums, the idea is a reality - and the experts all agree that it's something that should be encouraged.

Bomb threat at daycare centre

Worried parents took to social media yesterday after their children's daycare was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Unusual celebrity baby names

Celebrities love to use their imaginations when it comes to naming their kids! Here's a gallery of some of the most memorable monikers in show biz families.

5 fears I've overcome since becoming a mum

Motherhood has a way of putting any phobias you had pre-parenthood into perspective: you either realise they?re a pointless waste of energy or they simply vanish in a sleep-deprived haze.

Mums review the Dymples range from Big W

The Big W Dymples range offers parents a vast selection of quality products to keep their little ones happy and healthy. We asked the Real Mums Test Drive team to review some items - here's what they said.

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

My friend had just had a baby, and she wasn't budging: no visit until I had my shots. And it's not an unusual request.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.