Has anyone nominated someone to get a charity Christmas hamper?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 luke's mummu

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

I was talking to a good friend last night - she is on a disability pension and her Hubby works in a very low paying job. No kids, but she was saying she would have to ask the electricity company for an extension on their bill and hadn't started any Christmas shopping or card as she had no money to buy them.

They are such lovely genuine people I would love to ask the Salvos or something like that for a food hamper for them, to save them some money over Christmas. I have no idea how to do it tactfully, I expect she may be very insulted if I suggested she ask them.

Is there anyway I can nominate them anonymously without their permission? Does anyone know? What would be the best charity to ask?

Thanks Lisa

#2 FeralZombieMum

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

I'd probably organise my own hamper to send to a good friend, to let them know I cared about them.

You could use this website, they donate 10% to charities.
http://www.charityhampers.com.au/christmas-gift-baskets_2

Or I might send them an anonymous gift card in the mail.

Or I would order some groceries online and arrange for delivery at their place.

I'd also encourage her not to get into more financial trouble by spending her money on Christmas gifts - I am sure if she explained to friends and family, they'd understand. Christmas doesn't have to be about presents.

#3 luke's mummu

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

Thanks I had a look at the hampers - I'm not sure how much they would use, I would rather get staples like bread and milk if I was her.

I think I will go with a gift card in the mail - does anyone know if  I can order online and have it posted straight to them?

No we don't exchange Christmas gifts. Never have, and I've never suggested it, I've known her for about 15 years and she always been on a pension.

Thank you. Lisa

#4 luke's mummu

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

Hmm I rang both St Vinnies and the salvos and they both said she would have to go in person to request and hamper and then they would be very happy to help her with a food hamper, electricity voucher and supermarket voucher. The problem is convincing her to go!

They suggested if she is embarrassed she could bring now or in the future something for them to sell 2nd hand at their op shop.

So I will email her tonight and try to tactfully suggest it. Hope I don't lose a friend over it!

#5 ~ky~

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

We have had help from St Vinnies in the past ... it was exactly what we needed at the time. We have also received Christmas hampers and although they had some staples, it was lovely to get some treats that we would never considered buying with what little money we had.

#6 emnut

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

yep they have to go through an assessment (even for those who are referred by other services) before they can provide a hamper or assistance. Hopefully she will go as the hampers usually give quite a few staple items as well as treats.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2014

The numbers have been crunched and it's official: Australian parents are having a bit of an 'O' moment.

As a guilty mum: the best advice for treating head lice

Just like a horror movie ... THEY'RE BAAAAAACK. So what works in treating and avoiding head lice and nits?

No, having a dog is not like having a human child

It's obvious these people dote on their pets, but they're barking up the wrong tree.

Confirmed: Kate Middleton is in labour

The Duchess of Cambridge is in the early stages of labor at St Mary's Hospital.

Baby-led weaning worked for us

My baby wasn't interested in food - until we tried something new. Now she's eating it all, and it often comes from my plate.

Parenting an early walker

Watching your child take their first wobbly steps is one of the best parenting highs you'll ever experience. But with that high comes a new reality.

Overdue and over it

A watched womb never labours ... or at least mine didn't.

Seven questions you should be asking about your health cover

If the last time you assessed your health cover was five years ago, there?s a chance it may no longer suit your needs. To ensure it?s still right for your family, click here for seven questions to ask.

'Paralysed bride' becomes a mum

Rachelle Friedman Chapman was preparing to marry the man of her dreams when tragedy struck four years ago.

Why the royal baby will look more like Prince Philip than Prince William

No matter what the occasion the world always seems to be waiting for Prince William and Kate Middleton.

Surprise baby born on toilet

Discovering your wife has just given birth on the toilet would be a surprise for anyone. But the shock would be even greater if neither you or your partner knew you were expecting a baby.

5 spooky photos with babies and children

These five photos show some ghostly images - but are they real? Do you believe in the spirit world?

Does it matter how much time you spend with your children?

Does spending more time with your kids help their development? This is a more complex topic than it may seem.

Rare condition diagnosed during optional scan

A mother who opted for a 4D scan late in pregnancy discovered her unborn baby had a rare brain disorder.

Cleveland captives speak about their decade of terror - and their futures

"I think we were just tired of people talking, trying to tell our stories, and they had no idea, no clue, what we went through."

Proof it's impossible to not join in a toddler's laughter

They say laughter is the best medicine. If that's true Tom Fletcher and his son should live long, healthy lives.

How I really feel about my drug-free birth

Do I feel 'smug'? No. Nor do I feel remotely superior. Each birth was valid and valuable in its own right, producing, as it did, a healthy baby.

How to talk about your pregnancy at work

The workplace isn't always a friendly place for pregnant women. Yet working women inclined to conceal a pregnancy from prying coworkers may be better off opening up and carrying on, according to a new study.

Tell us your story to win!

To celebrate Mother's Day this year we are giving you the chance to win one of five great prizes simply by telling us your story.

The Goss

Sonia Kruger: 'One baby is enough'

The popular TV host has no plans for a sibling for her new daughter Maggie.

Where to get help to help your baby sleep

There is so much pressure about having a baby who sleeps 'all night' , it's no wonder you worry about your baby if she wakes in the night.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Playtime guide:

A new area on our site for all your playtime and learning fun with baby - specially brought to you by Fisher-Price Play IQ?. PLUS your chance to win a year's supply of toys.

Celebrate being a mum with Offspring

This Mother's Day, treat yourself to possibly winning an ultimate Mother's Day gift pack valued at $250 including the Offspring Box Set. Enter now!

Vintage baby names having a comeback

What makes some names have comebacks while others silently fade into oblivion? A few factors come into play.

How to play with your newborn

Even though they're immobile and can't speak, there are plenty of ways you can engage and communicate with your newborn to stimulate their physical, cognitive and emotional development.

Mum of six faked cancer to get donations, police claim

Elizabeth Edmonds' husband posted some devastating news on Facebook last year.

I'll admit it: I have last child parenting fatigue

If you're a new mum and feeling ignored by the older mum/the old hand/the has-been, please know, it's not you, it's me. Blame the last child parenting fatigue.

Cobie Smulders speaks about her battle with ovarian cancer

The 'How I Met Your Mother' star has revealed that she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at 25 - and was told she'd never conceive naturally.

Essentials your child needs to grow

What does your baby need to grow up healthy? The experts give their advice.

Coroner warns of 'dangerous' cot

A UK coroner has warned of the dangers of a bedside cot after the death of a newborn baby who choked to death this month.

Building your baby's emotional and social skills through play

Babies are social beings who enjoy being around people they know and love, especially you.

Why suicide prevention is everybody's responsibility

Everyone agrees we need to do more to care for people at risk from suicide, the problem is what.

Exhaustion is not the same as tiredness

Having a new baby isn't tiring - it can be downright exhausting.

Five posterior babies, four home births

I was on a high. I'd done it all by myself with no help from anyone.

Mum's list of birthday gift demands goes viral

We're big fans of kids' birthday parties - but this is one bash we're glad we didn't get an invite to.

Kate Middleton to receive 'loyalty discount' for second birth

Everybody loves a bargain - including the Duchess of Cambridge.

Fish & chip shop owner's sad note goes viral

A lengthy note put on the window of a fish & chip shop has gone viral due to the writer's serious doubts about the romance of travel.

Pregnant women need good nutrition advice, not judgment

Pregnant women are under pressure to do all the "right things" to have a healthy child. It results in women feeling judged about their decisions.

William Tyrrell's mum speaks out: 'We hope he is still alive'

The mother of missing toddler William Tyrrell says she has a vision that somebody "picked him up and moved him on ... that's the only way ... to explain for him not to be there".

Family comes first for 23-year-old Tommy Connolly

Most 23-year-old blokes spend their hard earned cash on fun times with mates or romantic dinners with their girlfriend, but not Tommy Connolly.

Newborn all-girl quintuplets 'doing great'

The first all-female quintuplets born in the United States were delivered last week, at 28 weeks and two days.

53 creative pregnancy announcements

Announcing that you're expecting can be a time to express your creativity, sense of humour and imagination. Check out how other parents and parents-to-be have broken the news to friends and family.

IKEA hacks for the nursery and kids' rooms

Are you one of those that know the whole IKEA catalogue by heart? Love their stuff but want to personalise it? Here's some inspiration to help you realise the potential of IKEA furniture and fittings.

Top baby names

Baby Names

The numbers are in and we can now bring you the 2014 top baby name list for Australia.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.