childcare v nanny
dont know what to do

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cattyrae

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

I have just hired a nanny that will start at the end of jan 3 days a week but is going to do some days here and there until then. she will be looking after 2 kids through the day and all 5 mornings and afternoons.
I have just received the paper work for dd to start child care at the end of jan. i didnt think she would get in but she has been accepted for all 3 days.

I know that the nanny will cost me more but she has so much flexibilty that i need with me starting uni and having 5 kids. but between now and end of jan she could change her mind and if i say no the the child care i could be left iwthout anything.

The child care is cheaper but im not a huge fan of them. also i would then have to pay school hoildays when my kids are away and i would have to figure out what to do with my other kids.

Im really not sure what to do. go for a cheaper option or go with flexibility?

Please help me

#2 Ice Queen

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

I would choose a nanny no questions asked if money was not an issue.  

I had a nanny 1 day per week with DD when I owned my own business.  No packing lunches, bags with spare clothes, rush to get out in the morning etc.  she would arrive while DD was in the highchair having breaky.  Off I would go leaving her to dress her, clean up after breaky.  I arrived home to a tidy house, dishes done and sometimes dinner cooking.  It was sheer heaven.  She very rarely did extra housework but on the odd occasion I would leave a load of washing for her hangout.

#3 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

Gosh nanny for sure if you have the money.  Plus she can still come if your child is sick.

#4 Mpjp is feral

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

I've done both, and my kids were FAR happier w the nanny. Also once you factor in school holiday program and ohsh $ if you use it, then the costs may be same-ish?

#5 au*lit

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

We've recently hired a nanny for our 18 month old DS. I returned to work 3 days a week.

Although childcare would be cheaper and we'd get the CCR, we are very happy with the decision. DS is also very happy with her - I'm not sure he'd be as happy to be left at day care.

To minimise the hours we have to pay the nanny (and maximise DS's time with us) in the mornings DH leaves early and DS & have breakfast and get ready for the day. The nanny is here by 8.30 and I leave shortly after. DH is home by 5pm to take over.

If we had to do day care drop offs I think our mornings would be much more stressful and less enjoyable.

Plus we are avoiding the constant illness that seems to affect most kids in day care, and if DS has a cold the nanny can still take care of him.

And as the PP said, we don't have to pay her when we take holidays.

#6 IVL

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

We have done both also and nanny wins by far. By the time you add in all the other tasks they can help with, I think you will actually be in front if there is more than 1 child to look after.

#7 Who is me

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

Definitely the nanny. No morning rush, much calmer, and she can come if they're sick. We have a nanny and she has a really special relationship with the children. I feel better knowing that DS will be comforted by someone he cares about if he is sick or bumps himself.

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

We've done both and I'm going to buck the trend and say that daycare worked out better for us when the children were younger.   That said, I am looking at increasing my working hours next year and we are considering trying a nanny again. I will take whichever nanny I want because we won't get any CCR for her.  I'm prepared to give it another shot because I don't want the children to miss out on their out of school activities - I want someone who can take them to swimming/dancing/karate or whatever so I don't have to cram it all in on the weekend.

OP, in your position, I would give the nanny a shot through the hols (maybe even with extra days than you had originally planned) and see what you think. How much notice do you need to give if you don't take the daycare spot? It's usually only 2 weeks, so you've got some time.

#9 dancesthroughlife

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

Just curious as I've been considering taking DS out of daycare an getting a nanny to suit my odd work hours more, people who have a nanny how did you go about hiring them? Is there a reputable company you go through or do you put an add out? I've never know anyone with a nanny so it's all new to me!

#10 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (au*lit @ 30/11/2012, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And as the PP said, we don't have to pay her when we take holidays.

Really? Most nannies are paid a wage + super + annual leave + sick leave. Same as any other employee. As if YOU take holidays - tough titties. You still pay the nanny.

That is, if you're paying your nanny in a legal and appropriate fashion.

#11 SeaPrincess

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (MsN @ 30/11/2012, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really? Most nannies are paid a wage + super + annual leave + sick leave. Same as any other employee. As if YOU take holidays - tough titties. You still pay the nanny.

That is, if you're paying your nanny in a legal and appropriate fashion.

It's my understanding that you don't have to pay super unless they are working over 30 hours a week (although I couldn't tell you where I got that from). However, I do know for sure that even when we were using a nanny through a local govt agency and getting CCR, we only paid for absences if we cancelled care for some reason, not for her sick days or leave.

#12 eachschoolholidays

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

We use a mixture of both.  Days when the kids are with the nanny are much easier - not getting out of the house, no packing bags etc etc  

If money is not the issue, I would be going the nanny.

#13 MrsShine

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:23 AM

I have been a nanny - many times, in 2-3 day positions, full time and casual and I was one of the only ones I knew of that committed to time frames agreed upon with the parents  before starting the job and also gave proper notice when I was leaving a position. (In fact in my last 2 day a week position I gave 6 weeks notice as I knew it would be difficult for the family to find a new nanny).

But that said, through the agency I was with, the families past experiences and the grapevine MANY other nannies just leave with zero notice, don't show up, and are very unreliable.

So you'd have to be careful choosing one as if they did this to you work and uni would be difficult to juggle. That's just in my experience though, and plenty of nannies are amazing but they can also be as rare as hens teeth even if they do seem wonderful in the beginning.

Oh and, I know zero nannies who are paid legally PP, most have become nannies BECAUSE of the cash pay and leave child care positions which are lowly paid.

I have always insisted that families pay me even when they are on holidays or they don't need me if they expect me to show up when they get back! (Which I think is fair enough - what's the nanny mention to live on in the meantime?)

When I have kids I don't think I'd use a nanny - I see too many of them hanging out with BF's through the day, ignoring kids and sitting on their phones for hrs on end!

I'd pick a good child are centre any day.

#14 cattyrae

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

Thanks everyone.

I found my nanny through find a babysitter. She has a second job. so in the school holidays she will increase her work load there. if she didnt have this job i would pay her for holidays because i would feel bad. My hubby is a teacher and im at uni so we have a lot of holidays between us.

I think i will stick with the nanny for now. she is coming on tuesday for a day. she is starting at 7:30am and she is going to see how our crazy day goes. im going to leave her with the kids for a couple of hours. she is also going to do some babysitting for us between now and the end of jan. she hopefully she will get a good idea how our family is.

this is the first time we have done this so it will be a bit of a trial and error thing. hopefully not to many errors.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.