What songs make you cry?
Quite possibly been done before :p

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 TopsyTurvy

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Came across this old gem on YouTube this morning and yep I bawled my eyes out.

Me & little Andy - Dolly Parton

** warning song mentions child neglect and death**

I blame my mother for this as she played this to us when I was just a small girl, and when I went to live with my dad at age 5 it was on a mixed tape that she sent with me.  My dad confiscated it cause it used to upset me so much.  Still upsets me today, although I think if I didn't have the childhood trigger it wouldn't make my cry.

So what songs make you cry and why?

#2 tassiegal

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Tears in Heaven and Beautiful in my eyes as they were played at my daughter's funeral.

#3 TinMan

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

I was crying during the singing parts in Disney's Tangled yesterday, but I'm blaming that on the IVF drugs I am up to my eyeballs in.

Luka by Suzanne Vega used to do it to me; and Tori Amos but I think that's a trigger thing like you and your mix tape

#4 noi'mnot

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

The Ship Song - Nick Cave.

There's also The Ship Song Project (lucky Sarah Blasko only has about one line in it...). The clip for this wrenches my heart, especially going from Paul Kelly to Teddy Tahu Rhodes.

Edited by noi'mnot, 30 November 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#5 librablonde

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

I Was Only 19 by Redgum sad.gif

#6 ComradeBob

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

The Drugs Don't Work byThe Verve reminds me of a friend who committed suicidewhen we were both in our 20s after years of struggling with mental illness.

ETA yes, that too librablonde

Edited by JingleBob, 30 November 2012 - 12:03 PM.

#7 Chelli

Wonderful Now by Everclear gets me every time.

Here without you by 3 Doors Down and Fix You by Coldplay also gets me.

#8 Madeline's Mum

Tears in Heaven and last day on earth always make me cry, they were both played at my daughters funeral.

More recently Small Bump by Ed Sheeran. It's about stillbirth and is heartbreaking. It explains the feelings about the entire journey really well, always leaves me blubbering.

#9 ~flaxen~

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Jessie's Song from Toy Story 2  blush.gif . The boys think it's hilarious that I tear up, and put it on repeat. I have to leave the room.

#10 NunSoFeral

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Sous le dôme épais où le blanc jasmin - from opera "Lakmé" - although it is seems a favorite at the moment with advertisers, so it's effect has been dulled somewhat.

Shiloh - Neil Diamond
Little Drummer Boy - the Boney M version

The Ship Song and Into my Arms - Nick Cave

ETA In Spite of Me - Morphine - ex sent this to me on anniversary of a break up.
Also Redgum - thanks PP I forgot this one

Edited by gettheetoanunnery, 30 November 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#11 Orangedrops

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Puff the magic dragon

#12 Peridot

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Two sparrows in a hurricane by Tanya tucker!
And puff too...

Edited by Peridot, 30 November 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#13 causeway

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

Wind Beneath My Wings

Just after I finished school, a good friend's mum died of stomach cancer. It was the first funeral I had ever been to. I went with my Mum. It is 20 years later and I'm tearing up now just thinking about it. I, too am on IVF drugs so that could be a contributor.

#14 ComradeBob

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

Also Old Town by Phil Lynott, because of the fact that he was dead of a drug overdose only a few years after singing "This boy is cracking up, this boy has broke down"

#15 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Tim Freedman singing Two Little Boys ...

#16 NunSoFeral

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Also - Mother by John Lennon

"Mother, you had me
But I never had you
I wanted you
But you didn't want me"

Just tears me up

#17 NunSoFeral

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

DP

Edited by gettheetoanunnery, 30 November 2012 - 12:18 PM.

#18 Chelli

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

More recently Small Bump by Ed Sheeran. It's about stillbirth and is heartbreaking. It explains the feelings about the entire journey really well, always leaves me blubbering.

Add that to my list now cry1.gif I have a meeting this afternoon so hoping the red eyes are gone by then blush.gif

#19 toosenuf

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

The living years by Mike & the Mechanics

Louis Armstrong's version of What a Wonderful World

#20 Feral Becky

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Really, really showing my age here but a song that my parents used to sing (to get us to sleep) called "Old Shep" about a dog.

Feel tears welling in my eyes just thinking about it sad.gif

#21 ThreeLittleLambs

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Pearl Jam- Last kiss cry1.gif and pachabels (sp) cannon.

#22 toosenuf

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (LindsayMK @ 30/11/2012, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really, really showing my age here but a song that my parents used to sing (to get us to sleep) called "Old Shep" about a dog.

Feel tears welling in my eyes just thinking about it sad.gif

that was by Elvis, wasn't it?  it didn't make me cry, but its a very sad song sad.gif

#23 silver-rain

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Meet me in the Middle of the Air, originally by Paul Kelly but the version that the guys from Tripod and Eddie Perfect did on an episode of Side Show is incredible. You tube it, it's worth it!

#24 ShamelesslyPooks

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

"Saltwater" by Julian Lennon is the first song that made me cry, by memory.

"Soon we'll be found" by Sia still gets me. I listened to it a lot when I was in the dying days of an abusive relationship. It seemed to speak all the sadness I had. It takes me right back and still breaks my heart.

"What a wonderful world" and "I just called to say I love you" were played at Dad's funeral and I still feel I can't catch my breath when I hear them.

#25 50ftqueenie

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Lucretia Borgia @ 30/11/2012, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tim Freedman singing Two Little Boys ...

I didn't know he had covered this. That song gets me very time

A few of my guaranteed tear jerkers:
Bridal Train - The Waifs
Pretty Good Year - Tori Amos
Travellin' Soldier - The Dixie Chicks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The popular baby name from the Rio Olympics

"With a pair of athletes who are not only successful, but seen as great role models – combined with a softer sound – it is like hitting the jackpot."

Toy stuck in baby's throat for two weeks

When Jude Atiga's baby son Laith was struggling to breathe the worried mum called an ambulance.

Mum awarded $20 million over birth power struggle with nurses

As a mother of three, Caroline Malatesta thought she knew what she was letting herself in for when it came to the birth of her fourth baby.

Win a Baby Jogger City Premier for Father's Day

To celebrate Father's Day, one lucky EB fan will win one of their own! Enter Now!

'There's a giant picture of BOOBS but I can not feed my child'

A mum was ushered out of an US department store's underwear section after discreetly breastfeeding her baby.

Why fatherhood scares many dads-to-be

Travis Bull vividly remembers discovering his partner was pregnant for the first time.

Free ticket offer

Pinky Mckay joins us again at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show presented by Blackmores with her expert baby settling advice. Register now for your free ticket.

Warning for pregnant women as flu-related deaths triple

A more than three-fold increase in flu-related deaths has sparked a plea for those with the flu to stay away from vulnerable people.

I'm trying to keep my child-free friends in my life, but it's tough

I tried to prove to my single friends that I was the same I'd always been. But marriage did change me - and motherhood has, too

For the festival lover in all of us

Pre-book & Save 50%. Get your tickets now for Kidtopia Festival. 7-9 October 2016 Parramatta Park, Sydney.

Too many parents still putting babies in unsafe bedding: study

A study found that a whopping 91 per cent of four-week-old babies had been placed in cots with unsafe bedding.

Mum's shock as toddler fat-shamed by internet trolls

When a mother uploaded a cute photograph of her 14-month old child online, she did not expect a swarm of internet trolls to write that her toddler was fat.

How an Aldi staff member made one exhausted mum's day

It was a simple act of kindness, but one that made an exhausted mother's day.

The most awww-worthy celeb baby pics of the week

It's been a pretty cute week on Instagram in terms of celebs relishing their babies.

When 'Just Do It' just doesn't cut it

When even Michelle Bridges admits to struggling with her exercise regime, it's time to accept that having small children can be a legitimate reason for exercise not happening.

What life is really like when you have five kids

Life is cute with one, manageable with three, but at times completely impossible with five.

When no one can pronounce your baby's name

In Wales it's a common name, but over here, it's cause for some confusion.

Dad shares horror tale after Roomba's run-in with dog poop

It's the poop story that's been shared hundreds of thousands of times around the world.

How a homemade wheelchair is giving baby Evelyn freedom

Like all one-year-olds, Evelyn Moore is keen to get moving and explore the world around her. But a battle with aggressive cancer left the little girl paralysed from the waist down.

Single to double pram that folds with seat attached

A pram is a large purchase, and you only want to buy once.

Mum-to-be surprises husband with big news in joy-filled photoshoot

When Bri Dow learnt that she was expecting, she immediately knew she wanted to break the news to her husband Brandon in a special way.

Blake Lively: 'Post-pregnancy slim down pressure is so unfair'

Blake Lively has urged women not to feel pressured to lose weight after pregnancy.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

For the festival lover in all of us

Pre-book & Save 50%. Get your tickets now for Kidtopia Festival. 7-9 October 2016 Parramatta Park, Sydney.

Why drinking water can be deadly for babies

H2O is one of the necessities of life, but for babies a seemingly harmless amount of water can be fatal.

5 ways having a baby is different when you have older children

So much parenting advice is geared towards having your first baby, but what's it like having a baby when you already have children?

You can now make your own plush Falkor

Fans of The NeverEnding Story – of which there are certainly plenty – went crazy for these plush Falkors when they first went on sale last year.

Baby steps

10 things that will actually happen after having a baby

I thought I had prepared myself for motherhood. Then my baby girl arrived and knocked everything flat.

Having a baby: expectations vs reality

People love to warn you about what to expect when having a baby, but they can be way off when it comes to the reality.

Are we having fun yet? Thinking positively as a parent

Motherhood is wonderful ... except when it sucks.

The adorable smile of a baby seeing his mum clearly for the first time

There is no doubt seeing their child smile for the first time is an unforgettable moment for parents everywhere.

When breastfeeding doesn't go with the flow

Breast is best, except when it's not. And in our case, it most definitely wasn't.

'If you don't vaccinate your kids you're a bloody idiot'

The photos are heartbreaking and almost too difficult to look at, but Kayley Burke is begging other parents to take notice.

Why pregnant women should eat chocolate

In news that will make expectant mums jump for joy - and reach for a block of Cadbury - scientists have revealed chocolate could provide health benefits during pregnancy.

The baby born with an incredible head of hair

If you're in any way challenged in the follicle department, prepare to feel a jolt of envy - at a two-month-old baby.

The push for Medicare to fund lactation consultants

While meeting with a lactation consultant can make an enormous difference to a new mother, it's not a service that is available through the public health system.

Parents, this is how to cut grapes to avoid choking

One mum has learnt a harrowing lesson about the best way to cut grapes to make it safe for toddlers and little kids to eat.

Three truths about C-section mums

Lately I've been thinking about the caesarean stories and the brave women who birth their children with strength and beauty.

Help! My baby will only sleep in my arms

It's stressful to be the one who is holding your baby most of the day, but it's even more stressful to wonder, 'am I doing something wrong? Or am I creating bad habits?'

ENTER NOW

Win one of two Father's Day Gift Packs

Sign up to receive our new Essential Kids announcements emails for a chance to win.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.