What has improved the condition of your dry hair?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 grace83~

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

I have fine hair and have been getting blonde foils for years now but since having my baby 3 months ago my hair seems very dry & lifeless. I had been straightening every 2nd day as it looks crazy & frizzy if I don't style it, but I also know this heat styling is what's causing the damage in the first place.

I want to get condition back in my hair & stop the breakage so my plan is to stretch out my colour to 8-9 weeks rather then 6 and get less blonde foils, only use straightening iron once a week and find some really good products.

Can anyone recommend any fantastic products to help dry/damaged hair - shampoo, conditioner and a great heat protecting product? And has anyone limited heat styling and noticed an improvement?

#2 Orangedrops

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

Cocnut oil and pure Argan oil (not the crap moroccan oil stuff check the bottle that it's pure). My hair is super glossy now.

#3 mandala

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

Being pregnant helped my fine, dry hair! Not really a long term solution, though. Most products just make my hair look dirty and greasy.

I have noticed a decline in my hair's condition since I started heat styling. I limit to once a week, and try to do the bare minimum to make my hair presentable. The thing is it looks so much better when it's blow dried and flat ironed sad.gif

#4 me-and-mini-me

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

I second the Argan Oil.  I love that stuff.  I have very dry hair, which used to be shiny and wavy before being pregnant, but since then, it's always dry and frizzy.  I was given a bottle of Argan Oil last christmas, and there is a dramatic difference when I use it.  It's a little bit expensive, but well worth it.  smile1.gif

#5 Feral Borgia

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

Where do you buy Argan oil? Do hair dressers stock it or is it more of a health food shop thing? Thanks original.gif

Edited by Lucretia Borgia, 30 November 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#6 me-and-mini-me

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

My friend bought it from one of those hair places that sells every hair product known to man on one side, and has hairdressers on the other.  Sorry, I don't know what the shop is called.  She bought it when they went down to $15 for a sale, and they went like hot cakes, as that is cheap.  You can get them online as well from chemist shops, e.g.:  http://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/argan-oil...ent%20x%20100ml
original.gif

#7 LifesGood

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Keratin treatments, expensive but my hair finally looks shiny and healthy again original.gif

#8 GenWhy

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

I have recently started using coconut oil in my diet rather than vegetable, olive or canola oil. My ski , hair and nails looks great for the first time in years!

#9 Kabu84

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

I've had dry hair for years. Like you I have also been getting blonde foils for years. My hair is naturally brown. A few months ago my new hairdresser convinved me to get a light brown base colour with a few scattered blonde foils on top and said it would improve my dry hair. I reluctantly went with it and am so pleased with the results. Yes it is darker but it's much softer and shiny and looks more natural. My hairdresser said the darker colours actually 'feed' the dry hair, as opposed to the bleach which makes it worse.

#10 **RocketQueen**

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

My hair is really long, coloured and I blow dry and GHD nearly daily.  It was breaking and so dry.  Then someone recommended:

http://www.garnier.com.au/_en/_au/our_prod...;prdcode=P41166

BEST. STUFF. EVER!  Cheap too - around $9 at Priceline

At first I was using it instead of conditioner every time I washed my hair, then wound it back to once a week.  My hair looks and feels great.  Give it a try.  smile1.gif

#11 belinda1976

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

Where do you buy Argan oil? Do hair dressers stock it or is it more of a health food shop thing? Thanks

I got mine off Ebay (Argan Oil).  A small bottle but it's lasted a long time.

#12 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

Organic care shampoo and conditioner for dry hair and weekly hot oil treatments with organic coconut oil. original.gif I have thick, dry, coarse hair.

#13 fizzy19

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

I use organic care moisturising shampoo and conditioner from supermarket every day but over the top I use Palmers coconut oil repair treatment conditioner on the ends. I've just started using L'oreal leave in conditioner spray. I also like john Frieda.

#14 strawberry blondes

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

I was told to heat a small amount of olive oil, cover your hair and wear a shower cap for a while then wash out. Apparently it's great, I have never tried it but I might as my DD's get dry knotty hair.

#15 Ellen D

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

VO5 Hot oil treatments.

Yes, I mean the stuff we all used in the 80's and 90's.

Still works like a charm.

You can get it at Priceline.

#16 Mrs Feral Widget

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 03/12/2012, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Organic care shampoo and conditioner for dry hair and weekly hot oil treatments with organic coconut oil. original.gif I have thick, dry, coarse hair.

How do you do the hot oil treatment? I'm keen to give it a go.  original.gif

#17 Fire_fly

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

Defiantly coconut oil and Argan oil. If you had to choose one I would choose coconut oil I also use it as a moisturiser etc... It's amazing!

#18 dolcengabbana

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:17 AM

My hair looks great but in reality was very dry and stressed from colouring.

I had the Guava Hair Straightening and my hair looks amazing well hydrated and i love it now wear it out all the time they call it botox for hair and I was impressed enough that I am booked in to have it done again for the 5th time. I have it done every 4 months.

#19 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (MrsWidget @ 05/12/2012, 07:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heat up 1/3 cup of oil in the microwave and apply to damp hair, then I cover in cling wrap and leave for however long I can be bothered then wash it out with shampoo. If you have a hair dryer you can blow dry it into your hair before washing it out original.gif

#20 Wyrmbait

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

jojoba oil and coconut oil  help with my dry scalp.

jojoba oil is properly one of the best oil to massage into your scalp.

Edited by Wyrmbait, 05 December 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#21 FeralZombieMum

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (MrsWidget @ 05/12/2012, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same here!

Found this coconut oil (and warm water, apple cider vinegar and peppermint extract) hair mask video, wonder if it will work.
http://www.bellasugar.com.au/DIY-Coconut-O...r-Mask-25860402

#22 carls888

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I love bumble and bumble quench is the best stuff I have ever used. I have always used kerastase but we were in the US recently and I bought the masque (conditioner) and the cream.
Perfect, my dry curly hair has never looked so good.

#23 HurryUpAlready

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (Kabu84 @ 30/11/2012, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've had dry hair for years. Like you I have also been getting blonde foils for years. My hair is naturally brown. A few months ago my new hairdresser convinved me to get a light brown base colour with a few scattered blonde foils on top and said it would improve my dry hair. I reluctantly went with it and am so pleased with the results. Yes it is darker but it's much softer and shiny and looks more natural. My hairdresser said the darker colours actually 'feed' the dry hair, as opposed to the bleach which makes it worse.

Kabu84... I don't suppose you are in Perth, are you? (she asks hopefully). I recently gave my hairdresser the same instructions and ended up with a dark brown/red semi through my hair which I hate! What your hair dresser did is exactly what I was after.

#24 amesv

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

I use pantene conditioner and coconut oil.

#25 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:23 PM

I found coconut oil did nothing for my hair.  Dd gave me some bodyshop oil (it's for the face and the body) but I have been using it on my hair and for the first time in a long time I've had compliments on how shiny and good it looks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.