Special spelling

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Ianthe

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

I know that EB overall is very laid back about names and hates these threads but...

Vyolett.

Why?

#2 bakesgirls

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

Why oh why? It will forever remain a mystery.

Perhaps they wanted their child to be speshal shrug.gif

#3 Rainbow Brite

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

There are no words...  sick.gif

A quick google and this spelling is legit!

Edited by Madam Plum, 29 November 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#4 Hopetoun

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

I just heard about a BOY called Chyna.  Yes, pronounced China but so much more special for the poor kid by using a y.

#5 ~shannon~

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

I know a little girl named Chloie.

Why put in the "i"? I don't get it!

#6 bailee

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

Where I used to work I used to get applications for funding, so saw many names with interesting spellings. One was ''Vilot". I think the way many people pronounce it, some people might think its spelt that way.

#7 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

I was reading an old Take 5 magazine at the doctor's and there was a story about a girl whose Dh was named Jayc...

#8 Gudrun

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

This alternative has been around for a long time.  There's also Vyolet.   We find this in many names both given and family names.

Like:

Bridie/Brydie
Brian/Bryan
Rider/Ryder
Briony/Bryony
Rian/Ryan
Piper/Pyper
Dianne/Dyan
Miles/Myles
Fife/Fyfe
Friar/Fryar

Edited by Gudrun, 30 November 2012 - 12:36 AM.

#9 MrsLexiK

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

Oh sweet Jesus.

I don't care what you name your child, BUT spell it correctly and how it is meant to be spelt!

#10 4kidlets

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

But if its a legitimate established variation then the parent is spelling it one of the ways it is meant to be spelt.

There was a thread a week or so back about a poster who wanted to spell Ryan as Rian - now  I wouldnt do that either because Ryan is by far the most well known version in australia - but many other posters were saying use Rian, its the original and authentic irish version, people here will get used to it etc - how is using Vyolett any different?

No offence to the poster who started Rian/Ryan thread - just an example of how EB thiniking seems inconsistent to me.

#11 MrsLexiK

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (4kidlets @ 30/11/2012, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But if its a legitimate established variation then the parent is spelling it one of the ways it is meant to be spelt.

There was a thread a week or so back about a poster who wanted to spell Ryan as Rian - now  I wouldnt do that either because Ryan is by far the most well known version in australia - but many other posters were saying use Rian, its the original and authentic irish version, people here will get used to it etc - how is using Vyolett any different?

No offence to the poster who started Rian/Ryan thread - just an example of how EB thiniking seems inconsistent to me.

Please tell me when Vyolet became a legitimate established variation? Just because you stick a Y in it and it turns up on Nameberry under variation does not mean it is legitimate.

The same goes for putting x's instead of ck's or just putting in J's/H's which are silent and Y's rather then an I for the sake of it.

#12 FeralBob!

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Rian/Ryan

See, if I saw that, I would assume that Rian was meant to be pronounced Ree-an, because that is the gaelic form of Ryan. Eg the surname O'Ryan can be O'Rian pr O'Ree-an  huh.gif

#13 EsmeLennox

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

I've been on EB for years, I am not, nor will I ever be tolerant of 'special spelling'. It gives me the irrits and makes my job difficult! Try having four 'Caitlins' in your class with four different spellings. Does my bloody head in. There should be some law against it. tongue.gif

#14 Bam1

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 30/11/2012, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been on EB for years, I am not, nor will I ever be tolerant of 'special spelling'. It gives me the irrits and makes my job difficult! Try having four 'Caitlins' in your class with four different spellings. Does my bloody head in. There should be some law against it. tongue.gif

Just as there should be a law about having teachers who can't even handle different name spellings. If they can't handle that aspect of modern society, how are they going to handle the hard stuff  tongue.gif

#15 RichardParker

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Australia really needs to follow Denmark's lead and establish some kind of a body for the approval of names and spellings.  We just cannot allow these atrocities and confusion to continue.

#16 EsmeLennox

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (Bam1 @ 30/11/2012, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just as there should be a law about having teachers who can't even handle different name spellings. If they can't handle that aspect of modern society, how are they going to handle the hard stuff  tongue.gif

The hard stuff, once learned, rarely changes. Name spellings, on the other hand, appear to be in a constant state of flux. I will deal with the 'hard stuff' any day over bloody variable spelling of names. I can manage the different spellings: Caitlin, Katelyn, Kaitlyn and Catelin, it's just matching them up to the right child all the time that's the problem! Lol

Edited by Jemstar, 30 November 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#17 4Littleloves

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (Bam1 @ 30/11/2012, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rof
Love it!!!! We are so lucky to live in a free country aren't well........WTF is it anyone else's business to always complain about how other people choose to spell THEIR child's name?!? Some people just need to get a life and move on ..seriously

#18 4kidlets

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (MrsLexiK @ 30/11/2012, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please tell me when Vyolet became a legitimate established variation? Just because you stick a Y in it and it turns up on Nameberry under variation does not mean it is legitimate.

The same goes for putting x's instead of ck's or just putting in J's/H's which are silent and Y's rather then an I for the sake of it.

I have no idea when it did - but  I read threads above me and see that it is so.

Not just the one about googling but also Gudruns informative post on it.

Just because  I havent heard of a spelling doesnt mean it is made up.

Also names and spellings are not finite forever - as  I have said before I do object to ridiculous one-off made up spellings like Khaa-T'tlynne (just made that up myself biggrin.gif )  but  I dont object to Kaitlin or Caitlyn,  I think teachers can cope with that, bit of a worry if they cant.

#19 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

For some reason Vyolet looks less wrong than Vyolett to me.

#20 rose888

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

surely someone should tell the parents that the correct  " special"spelling is

Vyletth  

with the h optional and silent  

#21 Gudrun

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:42 AM

The English names we inherit or indeed are given often represent old spellings eg from Old or Middle English or various anglicisations of Gaelic, French etc.   Names may get passed down as is, while most of our language evolves and leaves old forms behind.  Names sometimes come from a time where anything went in terms of spelling.  

As far as violets are concerned I know they had them in ancient Rome because that is where we get the word from (viola).   However in terms of when, where and how it was spelt in English I don't know.
But since Chaucer, 'the father of English literature', who wrote in the 14th century, spelt sometimes as somtyme, I would't be surprised to see vyolet or vyolett etc if he wrote about violets.

#22 BlondieUK

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (Hopetoun @ 29/11/2012, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just heard about a BOY called Chyna.  Yes, pronounced China but so much more special for the poor kid by using a y.

I have had two Cambodian students with this name - maybe it's traditional there?
And - I would rather have 4 xCaitlin with different spelling than the 3 x James Wong that I had in my first year of teaching!

#23 LadyLabyrinth

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE (20%Cooler @ 30/11/2012, 02:36 PM)
15119881[/url]']
That's a Vyolation, that is!

roll2.gif  roll2.gif Ha ha good one

#24 Plaxy

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Further to Gudrun's explanation about spelling history - 'the more things change the more they stay the same' in some ways.
We think of ourselves as having spelling rules now, but do we really and are we actually any different? Compare these 2 lists!!

extract from
English given names from C16th and early C17th Marriage records (S L Uckerman)

Isabell 751
   Isabell 434
   Isabella 74
   Issabell 57
   Isbell 33
   Issebell 21
   Isable 12
   Esabell 9
   Yzabell 7
   Issabella [L] 6
   Izabell 6
   Issobell 5
   Essabell 4
   Isbel 4
   Yssabell 4
   Essebell 3
   Isebell 3
   Izabel 3
   Ysabell 3
   Isabela [L]
   Issbell 2
   Bell 1
   Esbell 1
   Essabel 1
   Essybell 1
   Ezabell 1
   Eziabell 1
   Isaabell [sic] 1
   Isab * 1
   Isabellam [L]
   Isaebell 1
   Issable 1
   Izebell 1
   Osabell

Compare with this:
2011 South Australia BDM:

ISABEL 18
ISABELA 1
ISABELL 3
ISABELLA 117
ISABELLA-LEE 1
ISABELLA-MARIE 1
ISABELLA-RACHAL 1
ISABELLAH 1
ISABELLE 52

ISOBEL 7
ISOBELLE 2
ISRA 1
ISSABELLA 1
ISSABELLE 1
ISZABELLA 1
IZABELL 1
IZABELLA 8
IZABELLE 1
IZEL 1
IZUMI 1
IZZABELLA 3
IZZABELLE
YZABELLA 1

YZABELLA 1

#25 Gudrun

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

Thank you for those lists, Susiebelle. Very illustrative!

Violet/Vyolet/Vyolett/Violett/Viollett all recorded as surnames in England in the 1500's.

Edited by Gudrun, 01 December 2012 - 03:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.