Minimum land size for 2 dogs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _audrey_

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

We have to large (but lazy) dogs, a greyhound and a husky cross.  We currently rent 1/2 acre and so we have plenty of yard for them, which of course they only ever use if we are outside with them.  They are very much couch potatoes.

We are looking at buying a house in a few months and ideally we want at least 1/4 acre.  The problem with this is that we can afford this land size if we move 15minutes further out of town however there is no public transport there.  We would love to buy in the area we currently live but will probably only be able to afford a house on 600-700m2.  

Part of me thinks 600-700m2 is too small for 2 big dogs but on the other hand, they rarely ever go outside and play so this block size would probably be ok (providing it is all useable land).

What do you think?  Do you think 600m2 is too small for dogs (and the house  original.gif )

#2 anikal

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

I think that as long as they are getting plenty of exercise and "family" time, most dogs are happy living wherever their people are.

I have 2 largish dogs, and they don't play in the yard much without us out there with them. Mostly they wander from one favourite lying down spot to another. Maybe my dogs are just really lazy too. One does have an excuse I suppose, he's 13 and been irritated with the puppy since I brought her home 5 years ago. Any day he gets one on one attention he absolutely loves it.

#3 la di dah

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

I had a staffy and an Akita in a house with no yard at all so perhaps I'm the wrong one to ask. I just walked them a lot. I don't like to leave dogs unattended in yards so it wouldn't have changed anything if we had a big space. When I was doing stuff outside they'd sit in the driveway and just hang out but they were getting walked 6+ km a day (sometimes twice that) so they didn't suffer for being house dogs.

Mature Akitas are really really really lazy though so there's that.

I would have some greyhounds I've known in an apartment as long as I had time. Lovely lazy lizards they are. original.gif

#4 _audrey_

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

I should add that they are inside dogs most of the time too.  They are only ever locked outside when we are not home.  They were being walked every day however DH changed jobs about 2 months ago and so now they only get walked on the weekends and maybe twice during the week.  I think the land size should be ok but I guess I feel guilty because they would have come from a large yard.

#5 FiveAus

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

I have an Aussie Shepherd who'd be happy with land size about equal to the couch in our lounge room. Or our bed.

#6 boatiebabe

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

I've never really had a dog that thought "jeez I better do laps around the yard to get some exercise" and then tore around for 1/2 and hour.

In my experience they just lay around moving from sun to shade until the fun time happens - and that fun time is usually heading out for a walk or a swim at the beach or a ball tossing session at the park.

So I don't really think the size of a yard has any bearing. As long as they are getting plenty of exercise and human companionship they'll be right in any size yard.

#7 kpingitquiet

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

We have two 30kg-ish dogs who HATE walks and they're blissful in our modest backyard (whole property is 600ish) with occasional dog park visits. They have a circuit figured out where they chase each other like maniacs, then wrestle around in the grass. Aside from that they prefer to spend their time relaxing under shade trees or lounging in the house hehe. It really is up to the personality of the dog. I knew a giant mastiff who was happy as could be living in a studio apartment because she was a lazy thing and got to spend most of her day sleepily camped out under an outdoor cafe table while her owner worked on software lol. He used to try to take her on hikes but she'd quit halfway up the hill!

#8 Froger

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

No idea about the Husky, but I reckon a Greyhound is fine on a suburban block. I had two on an average size block when I was younger. As you well know, they only lie about all day anyway. It's not as if they actually use the yard, running about or anything.

#9 MrsLexiK

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (3males and me @ 29/11/2012, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Part of me thinks 600-700m2 is too small for 2 big dogs but on the other hand, they rarely ever go outside and play so this block size would probably be ok (providing it is all useable land).

What do you think?  Do you think 600m2 is too small for dogs (and the house  original.gif )

I have one (very energetic but at the sametime very lazy) dog on about 750m2 I would happily get a second (DH would not) and we have looked after friends/families furbabies so there has been 2 dogs and there is plenty of yard for them.  My boy literally runs from the back garage door down to the back fence for about 5 or 10 minutes a day. (I will admit he is a bit strange) other times of the day he is plonked out and just lifts his head up. (I think it depends on how many people walk past the back fence and how many birds he can smell in the air as to how many laps he does)  When I am home I take him for a walk and to the leash free park and let him loose.  

Friends have 2 greyhounds on a block much smaller then ours.  The beauty with a lot of bigger dogs is that they are happy to be lazy or happy to be walked everyday.  I always say a great dane is a great apartment dog.

If they want to run around and play they will, they will just do it in a smaller space.

#10 countrychic29

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

OP we have 2 x German Shepherds ... originally on a 600sqm block, they spent most of time inside and 2 x daily walks ... we thought they were happy enough and didnt have a problem with it, big runs on weekends etc
We then moved to 2.5 acres and they are sooooo happy to spend time outside now - they are different dogs ... charging around and playing using the whole backyard of about 2000sqm.
They are so much calmer and happier, i really didnt think it would make that much difference .. dont worry they still whinge at the back door to come inside occasionally. rolleyes.gif

So while i dont think it is a problem having dogs on a small block if the owners are responsible i would be a little hesitant of moving from land to smaller block and how the dogs will adjust original.gif

#11 Gioiello

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

I have 2 Siberian Huskies and they were happy living at my old house where the total land size was about 370 square metres.  They are dogs who live inside with us when we are home and are out in the backyard when we aren't. They get walked regularly and taken to a nearby off leash dog park about once per week/fortnight.

They are happiest when they spend time with us; the backyard size doesn't worry them.  Like other posters, ours will just spend the day sunning themselves (occasionally digging themselves a husky hole to lie in), moving into shade and then just around dusk they have a crazy run-around-the-yard session as we get ready to walk them.  They might get up and have a bit of a run a few times during the day to investigate other dogs walking past our yard etc, but that's about it.

We moved to our current home which is on about 800 square metres about 2 years ago and it hasn't affected their daily habits too much.  The still spend just as much time each day alternating between sunning themselves and sleeping on their beds on the verandah.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a copy of 'Breakfast, School Run, Chemo'

To celebrate the launch of EB member and contributor Julia's Watson's first book, we have five copies of Breakfast, School Run, Chemo give away.

Electronic tags may keep newborns safe

The possibility of using electronic bracelets for mothers and their newborn babies is being investigated by Adelaide's Women's and Children's Hospital. 

Baby steps: when your little one starts walking

As a parent there are so many milestones to look forward to. That first smile, first word - and, of course, that first step.

Julia Watson's new book 'Breakfast, School Run, Chemo'

Tomorrow my friend Julia launches her first book. And while we're all overjoyed, the success is tinged with sadness. You see, Julia has stage 4 bowel cancer.

How not to name twins

Call me boring, but I don't think that when it comes to choosing my twins' names is the right time to use a good pun.

Fun Sunny Life pool inflatables just for babies

The babies of 2015 will thus be thrilled to paddle their happy baby legs in these brand new flamingo and swan baby inflatables.

Breastfeeding basics for beginners

Here are 10 tips to help make breastfeeding successful and stress free for both you and your baby as quickly as possible.

Girl smothers baby brother with peanut butter

This mum had a big clean up job on her hands.

How to hide those under eye shadows

Pandas are the only ones who benefit from under-eye shadows. If you're not fluffy and cute, you'll just look tired.

Young mum dies after being denied pap smear

A mother has died after she was denied a pap smear because she was deemed "too young" to need it.

Birthday cakes banned at childcare centre

A childcare centre in Sydney has banned birthday cakes after parent complaints about excessive sugar and children with allergies being left out.

Triplet surprise for newlyweds

As the radiographer moved the wand over her abdomen, Shelley King got the surprise of her life.

3 yummy Thermomix baby and toddler recipes

Louise Fulton Keats shares her recipes for babies and toddlers, including corn and sweet pikelets, pumpkin and pea risotto, and cheesy bunny biscuits.

Man arrested over toddler Nikki's death

A 31-year-old man has been arrested over the death of two-year-old Nikki Francis-Coslovich in Mildura.

Adoption ban on pregnant women to be lifted

Pregnant women will no longer be barred from adoption waiting lists in NSW, after the Baird Government decided the practice was discriminatory.

Are you getting enough magnesium?

Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body, but we don't talk enough about it and the vital role it plays in great health and energy, as well as disease prevention.

5 workplace lessons for new parents

Take heart in these principles that will transfer seamlessly from the workplace into your new life as a parent.

Mums to follow on Instagram

A creative outlet for many, there are some savvy women complementing their blogs and businesses with riveting Instagrams feeds. We've chosen a few which have bucketloads of appeal; there are some big time players and some smaller local ones, and they each bring their special brand of magic to the Instagram experience.

Review: The Volvo 2015 XC90 SUV has all the safety features your family needs

The new Volvo XC90 SUV's focus on keeping you safe does not come at the expense of comfort in the XC90.

Kim Kardashian reveals she may have hysterectomy

Kim Kardashian has revealed complications during pregnancy means she might have to have a hysterectomy after the birth of her second child.

Why late night snacks wreak havoc on weight loss

Loath as you may be to admit it, chances are that at some point you have found yourself in the kitchen late at night, devouring food.

Toddler twins pretend to be asleep to fool mum

They say twins have a unique connection. If this cute clip is anything to go by, these toddler sisters like to use their special bond to try to fool their mother.

Dad bags: 10 picks for out and about

Getting out of the house is a big priority in the early years of parenthood and you need to take a well-stocked kit with you. We've chosen 10 of the best nappy bags sure to appeal to dads in style and function.

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Dads who do their share have more sex: study

For women trying to encourage their partners to take more interest in fatherhood, it could be the ultimate incentive.

Think you might have IBS, coeliac disease or Crohn's?

Conditions affecting the gastrointestinal tract are common in modern humans, and many are on the rise - including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and coeliac disease.

Couple poses for newborn shoot with adorable puppy

Tired of being asked about their baby-making plans, Australian couple Matt and Abby decided to give a creative answer.

The exercises you know you should be doing (but probably aren't)

I bet your to-do list today is long. But somewhere on that massive list, are you making time for your pelvic floor?

This baby really loves the family cat

Some babies get excited when mum or dad come to get them from their cot after a nap.

Designer kids clothing good enough to eat by Oeuf

Even if you aren't heading to the Northern hemisphere in the next six months, you can't help but love the amazing food-themed knits for babies and kids by cult kids brand Oeuf.

Early exposure to peanuts recommended for allergy prevention

A paediatricians' group is recommending that infants at high risk of peanut allergies be given foods containing peanuts before they turn one.

Home brand foods contain less salt than pricier rivals

Supermarket home brand foods, long derided as cheap and inferior, contain far lower levels of salt than pricier, branded rivals, new research shows.

Nannies for hire, wherever you're flying

Ever dreaded the prospect of a long flight, dreaming about how wonderful it would be for a nanny to entertain the kids?

Couple poses for newborn shoot with adorable puppy

Tired of being asked about their baby-making plans, Australian couple Matt and Abby decided to give a creative answer: with an unusual photo shoot with their 'baby', a groodle (poodle/golden retriever cross) named Humphrey. The talented Elisha from Elisha Minnette Photography caught all the precious shots.

Is it okay to name your baby with a sense of humour?

My husband was sure that Danger was a good option for a boy. And as the pregnancy progressed, it actually started to sound really good.

Woman gives birth after having her own mother's uterus transplanted

In a world first, a healthy baby has been born from the same womb that nurtured his own mother.

So hot right now: double-barrelled baby names on the rise

It's one way to make your baby stand out from the pack – giving them not one, but two first names.

Second time around: is it really better the devil you know?

When I fell pregnant with my second child I was, naturally, very excited. Then it all started to come back to me - and I freaked.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

How did we have babies before apps came along?

Three months ago, my wife, Chrysta, and I were driving along Melrose Avenue in Los Angeles when she let out a harrowing cry.

When your toddler disagrees

There comes a time when your child starts having different views to you. I didn't realise that time would come so soon.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

FREE TICKET

Discover the magic of the LEGOŽ DUPLOŽ Play Area in Sydney

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.