Should I still be waking DD to feed overnight?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 indigo~

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

DD is 11.5w but only 5w corrected age as premmie. For weeks now I have had to wake her for the first overnight feed of the night.

I was letting her go no more than 4 hrs between feeds overnight on advice from special care when she was discharged. In the past week I have stretched this out to 5 to 5.5 hrs and have still needed to wake her.

She will then usually wake herself after3-4 hrs for the following feed. She doesn't sleep much during the day other than catnaps in my arms.

Just wondering if I should continue this or let her sleep? She's still only little, approx 4.2kg. It hasn't really bothered me as I would need to get up to express anyway as the boobs feel overly full after 5 hrs.

How do mums cope with full boobs when their bubs do start to sleep through? Do the boobs adjust or do you need to keep expressing? My supply is not great and I have to comp feed with EBM or formula top ups around 3 times a day.

Thanks

#2 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

I'm not sure about waking to feed, I would go on advice of the midwife, MCHN as a premmie she may well need waking still.

As for the boobs - yes, they adjust - some quicker than others. I put a towel under me in bed as I always leaked, it takes me a few nights to adjust but dropping my day feeds takes me loads longer to adjust to!

All the best original.gif

#3 Copper and May

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

I think I would wake her after 4 hours overnight, as she is still very little and her tummy is only as big as her fist and why pump all that good milk away, when your baby will take it. Mums are given extra energy during the months after birth, or so I am told. Is it the oxytocin or something that makes you calm. unsure.gif

#4 lucky 2

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

Oxytocin is usually a feel good hormone, there are the exceptions though.
As for waking, I'd talk to your LC or CHN, theoretically if a baby is well, feeding well, great output, growing normally then you do not have to control feeds, ie if baby can control intake/feed frequency and thrive then you can let baby feed to need.
Since your baby was a prem I'd think it is better to be safe than sorry and get advice from you health provider.
I don't think being 4+ kg is an issue if she feeds well, is is 5 weeks old adjusted and some babies of this age can have longer sleeps.
Check if it's ok for your baby though.
How do mums cope with full boobs when their bubs do start to sleep through? Do the boobs adjust or do you need to keep expressing? My supply is not great and I have to comp feed with EBM or formula top ups around 3 times a day.

Most mums don't have to worry about babies sleeping too much at this young age!
Since you have a undersupply I'd be up expressing for sure, if you didn't need to feed.
If baby does feed well then it might be good to have baby feeding regularly overnight, that might help supply.
Are you seeing a LC? If not is sounds like a good idea considering your supply issue.
All the best.

#5 indigo~

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for the replies.

The local MCHN is also a LC and she suggested letting DD sleep and see how she goes. My gut instinct is to continue waking to feed though. Her next paed check up is mid Dec so I may keep going as I am and ask the paed what he thinks.

Re my supply, the MCHN/LC said that my supply is probably as good as it will get as I've been on motilium (and fenugreek and nursing tea) for around 10w now and bub BF all day long (every 1-2hrs, sometimes less than 1hr!) so can't increase frequency or express more than I am. I will usually only express now after her first overnight feed (getting 30-50mls) otherwise there would be nothing left for bub at her next feed.

When she's super hungry, I'll put her on each boob 3 times and she'll still be cracking it for more. That's when I'll offer a bottle top up and she takes it greedily and then looks so satisfied afterwards, poor chook.

Her weight gain is great though - last weigh in had put on 420g in 10 days so up 12% over that period. Makes me wonder if she really needs the top ups or just likes to feel full? She feeds so frequently during the day that she only gets smaller volumes. The overnight feeds are when she gets a good amount as they have longer to fill (plus prolactin higher).

#6 lucky 2

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

If you feel brave enough give your MCHN/LC's suggestion a go.
This means that you do a little controlled experiment, see what happens and if she does wake naturally and continues to have an excellent output and growth then the experiment is a success! If not then you go back to waking her.
I'd suggest that your MCHN/LC is best placed in understanding how your baby feeds and how to manage her intake and breast feeding, that is her expertise.
You are doing really well, if you do a couple of night trial how can it hurt if your baby remains well and you continue to have healthy breasts and nipples (ie not getting blocked ducts).
I understand what you are saying re ? supply is optimal, you have done everything to build it.
When bub is in the fussy phases how about keep switching sides, ie more than 3, I used to have to give up to 8 sides for dd as she would fuss and carry on. It helped increase her intake and my supply.
Sounds like you are getting excellent care and advice.
All the best.

#7 mandala

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

I would be tempted to try not waking her. That first sleep of the night is the deepest, and quality sleep is also important for growth. You might also find that if you are more rested, your supply improves.

My baby was also a little thing, and would have been around 4kg at 6 weeks. 420g in 10 days is fantastic!

At that stage I had oversupply - my undersupply started later. However I did have a few nights were I was woken up by painfully full breasts. I would get up, run the hot tap in the basin to get a warm, wet flannel, and put it on my breasts before hand expressing just enough to be able to get back to sleep.

#8 MrsFeral247

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

I woke my DD til about 4 months. She was born full term but quite little and I've always had a very volatile supply. Above all else, my instinct was it was best. It was more a dreamfeed for both of us than an actual wake up.

Do whatever you feel is best.

#9 indigo~

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:00 PM

Hi again. Just an update from me and a follow up question.

I've been letting bub sleep and she goes for around 5.5-7.5 hrs some nights before waking. (Still not sleeping during the day but that's another issue.) She's now 14w or 7.5w corrected.

I've been getting up around 5.5-6 hrs from last feed to express but I've only been taking off 20-25 ml per boob just till they're not rock hard anymore.

Just wondering if I should be removing more or even draining them? I haven't as I can't predict when bub will wake up and I've wanted to leave enough for a decent feed.

I'm worried about affecting my supply as I've worked so hard to increase it.  I haven't had to give any formula top ups for over a week now. What should I be doing to maintain supply?

Thanks!

#10 lucky 2

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:29 PM

Hi, thanks for the update original.gif .
I'm worried about affecting my supply as I've worked so hard to increase it. I haven't had to give any formula top ups for over a week now. What should I be doing to maintain supply?

It can be a helpful to have a weight taken when you make a change in diet (ie drop formula) and then get a weight taken, say, a week later and see how the growth is.
If baby continues to have a good output, ie plenty of pale wee and soft yellow poos (ie 2 or more each 24 hrs) and growing on breast milk alone then you do have the right amount of milk production.
And if your breasts remain free of blocked ducts and are comfortable then this is also a good sign that bfing if going well.
From what you have written things sound good but it would be safest to have a visit and weight check with your CHN.
All the best.

#11 ScarfaceClaw

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

I stopped waking DS well before 4kg! I think he was still under 3kg and  we went to demand feeds from about 8 weeks. He was probably waking 5 hourly overnight and 2-3 hourly feeds during the day.

Best way to maintain supply is to feed, and if baby is putting on weight and making lots of wet nappies you are likely to be doing well.
You may also notice a growth spurt coming up where they feed more frequently, that helps build supply too, esp if you don't comp feed, just offer the breast freely.

Good luck, this can be such a confusing time!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

eBay jacket may hold clue to murdered girl's identity

A jacket similar to the one found with the remains of a brutally murdered little girl in South Australia has been identified on eBay.

New mum forced back to work early due to paid parental leave 'technicality'

Shelley Parker had to keep driving buses until the date her baby was due and will have to rush back to work at the end of this week after being denied paid parental leave on a "technicality".

Pregnant Amanda Palmer poses naked for book drive

It has to be the most original way ever of promoting a children's book donation day.

The conception dilemma facing many parents today

Some parents who conceived through a sperm donor will be wary of telling the child, while others prefer to deal with it early on. But recent research suggests it makes little difference either way.

The wedding photo the bridesmaid would rather forget

We've probably all seen a passed-out bridesmaid at one wedding or another, but it usually happens towards the end of the night.

Pregnant TV meteorologist takes on haters

Pregnant TV meteorologist Katie Fehlinger has hit back at haters who called her a "sausage in casing".

Honest words from first-time mums

I didn't want to say anything negative to my pregnant friend, but I wish I'd been more honest.

Adorable baby experiences rain for the first time, couldn't be happier

Harper had seen rain from the comfort of indoors before, but had never had the pleasure of being outside and experiencing it first hand.

What it's really like to start a family in your fifties

Many people suppose that it must be much more tiring to have a baby in middle age, but all the mothers in the playground look exhausted, whatever their age.

'Biggest hypocrite ever': Josh Duggar admits to Ashley Madison account

An American reality TV star has been busted with a cheating website account, according to US media.

Long recovery ahead for girl hit by car weeks after baby brother's death

A little girl is more alert and starting to talk after being hit by a car a week ago, but still faces a long recovery.

How to react when a toddler lies

Q: My almost-3-year-old is starting to figure out that he can lie when asked if he ripped the book, threw the food, hit his brother, etc. Totally normal, I know. How do we respond?

The circular experience of a Centrelink client

A mum-to-be experiences the frustration of dealing with Centrelink, myGov and everything in between.

Kelly Clarkson announces live on stage: 'I'm pregnant!'

Singer Kelly Clarkson has announced she is pregnant with her second child during a concert in Los Angeles.

Hack

How to search the leaked Ashley Madison data

At least three sites are republishing Ashley Madison's user data on the public-facing internet.

Mum dances her way through labour

There are a fair few ways to distract yourself and beat pains while in labour, but it's probably a rare woman who chooses her dance her way through it.

'Rest in peace, my little lion': premmie baby Jacob passes away

Baby Jacob, whose photo of him born at just 27 weeks was deemed 'too graphic' for a fundraising site, has died.

Mum killed three young sons 'to help her daughter', prosecutor says

Niall Pilkington's death last summer apparently raised little alarm in Bellefontaine, Ohio. Tragic accidents happen, after all.

Shorter women have shorter pregnancies: study

When a group of researchers studied nearly 3500 mothers and their babies, they noticed a curious pattern.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

The worst 20 minutes of my life

Thirty seconds was all it took to turn a shopping trip into my worst nightmare.

Top baby names for England and Wales in 2014

George has overtaken William in the official rankings of most popular British baby names - and Game of Thrones is still having an impact on parents.

Baseball or baby? Dad's tough choice

What's more important, a baby or a baseball? That's a question this dad seems to struggle with.

Childbirth choices: five star or free?

It's not often you hear the words labour and luxury in the same sentence but for some, a 5-star start to parenthood is exactly what they seek. And with a number of private hospitals now offering packages which include a post-birth stay at a sumptuous first class resort, many mums are choosing to recover in style.

'Where did your boobies go, Mummy?' and other soul-destroying comments from kids

Most women carry a smidge of baby weight after giving birth. If you're lucky enough to have an older child in the house, they can keep you on track with your weight loss goals.

Do you read me, baby?

Is it too soon to be reading to my two-month-old son? If not, what should I read?

Minimising sibling rivalry when you've got a baby

Sibling rivalry is an act of competition, but if your children feel involved and special, this type of jealousy will be minimised.

Will studying on maternity leave take you away from your most important job?

I remember when I was trying to decide if I could combine motherhood and furthering my university education.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

Preschooler hit by car shortly after baby brother's death

A mother has had a frantic race to the hospital after her daughter was hit by a car, just four weeks after her infant son died.

Gay couple and Thai surrogate in custody tug-of-war

A six-month-old baby girl is trapped in the Thai capital in a bitter custody wrangle between her Thai surrogate mother and her biological father.

Couple denied IVF over parenting concerns

A mother of six has been denied access to IVF treatment in order to have another child over concerns about her parenting skills.

The book that promises to put your children to sleep

Exhausted parents from around the world are singing the praises of a "miracle" book which promises to put even the most restless child to sleep in just minutes.

5 things every parent who feels guilty needs to know

Parenthood can make you feel bad, but you're not alone.

Royals criticise 'dangerous' attempts to photograph Prince George

The British royal family criticized paparazzi on Friday for what it called their increasingly dangerous attempts to photograph young Prince George.

'No jab, no play' rule to cover Victorian kindergartens and childcare centres

"Anti-vaxxers" face not being able to send their children to childcare centres or kindergarten if they refuse to have them immunised.

15,000 birthing kits on their way to developing countries

Giving birth in a hospital surrounded by medical experts is tough enough, but some women deliver babies without a clean sheet to lie on.

Photo of premmie 'too graphic', fundraising site says

When their son Jacob was born at just 27 weeks, Christina and Jeff Hinks were thrown into an uncertain world.

The latest Bugaboo collections: cool chevron and runner prams

Bugaboo sure likes to keep things fresh, and with the Australian spring/summer season coming up, there are two new Bugaboo pram releases.

Making room for two in the bed

Mum's room or their own room? Cot or bassinets? Deciding where twins will sleep can be tricky.

FREE TICKET

See Hi-5 LIVE in Sydney!

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.