My daughter is so angry
Paint all over kid's clothing.

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 CharliMarley

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

My grandson was doing some sort of painting at school yesterday - with spray cans  mad.gif The teaching staff didn't even bother getting the kids to wear a smock/old shirt or something over their clothes and he has come home with his clothes covered in this paint. I have suggested mineral turps to get it out, but any other suggestions would be much appreciated. The school could have let the parents know that this was on the agenda for the day and then he could have gone in old clothes, not good ones.  rant.gif

#2 CupOfCoffee

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

I am not sure of what normally happens in that daycare, but I send my daughter knowing she will come home with paint/dirt/waste products/food/face paint etc potentially getting on her clothing.

That being said, I would suggest just soaking in nappy san, childcare usually uses water soluble paints (ours does anyway).

#3 Wrenny

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

It has recently been realised that turps is very toxic stuff. I'd prefer to replace the clothes than use turps!!

#4 FeralBob!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

I always sent DD to daycare in clothes that didn't matter, because I could be assured that if she didn't get paint on them, she'd drop her food (always a tomatoey sauce too FTW) or go rolling around in the dirt. It got to the point that if the clothing still fitted, and the stains not too extreme, she'd still wear it to daycare.

I'd recommend a good soak in Napisan and if they still fit, well he can still wear them.

#5 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

New old clothes for next time.

I'd be annoyed too OP, but not use turps.

#6 stressnless9

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

was this school?? or daycare???

#7 causeway

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

I noticed in Woolies last night that they have a stain remover pack which contains 3 products which you use depending on the type of stain.

If turps does get the paint out, I think the clothes will be pretty much ruined anyway.

FWIW - DD goes to daycare in Kmart, Target and Big W clothes, she comes home filthy, smiling and tired from a day at daycare... she loves it!

MIL recently came to stay and commented to DH about how grubby DD's clothes were and how could I send DD out in such clothes...(she wears clean clothes everyday, these are stained or have grubby knees from crawling in the sandpit)... DH told her about daycare and how dirty she gets and that she had nicer clothes that we don't wear to daycare. MIL still wasn't impressed.... argh! If that's the worst thing I can submit my child to then, I'm not doing too badly.

#8 CupOfCoffee

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (Ferdinand @ 29/11/2012, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The OP said 'school' not daycare or preschool. I assume she's on about uniforms being wrecked, not everyday clothes.

I'd be pretty annoyed about the ruined clothes too.

Oops... I read daycare in my head... With uniform I would definitely not use turps, I would still soak in nappy san (or use a spray removal).

#9 CharliMarley

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

He goes to Lyons school in the ACT and is in grade 1 or 2 (I really should know), so they are good clothes and Shannon Lush recommends methylated spirit and turps to scrub with.

#10 Chelara

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

I have successfully used turps to get oil paint out of my own clothes before (brushed against newly painted door jamb). You need to use turps though not water at all as that spreads the paint in further. Good luck!

#11 stressnless9

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

school uniform i would be super annoyed! they arent cheap!! silly thing for a school to do really!

#12 Hayleymumof3

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

He goes to Lyons school in the ACT

ohmy.gif when did that school re open?

Sunlight SOAP best stuff ever, wash it with the soap then just pop it into the machine and wash normally.

#13 CharliMarley

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

I think it is called Lyons Early Learning Centre and apparently most of the kids had paint on their clothes yesterday. Thanks for the replies everyone.

#14 Bluenomi

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

Well it's a school uniform so it's going to get messy. He's only going to wear it to school again, it's not like it's good clothes he wears on formal occasions or anything.

#15 Gudrun

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Doesn't it just come out in the wash?   It's not like oil based house paint.

#16 casime

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Was it a uniform or just street clothes?

#17 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

Turps is only for oil based paint, which I don't think is usually what is used in spray cans. It's usually more for artist or industrial level work. Definitely do not use turps on water based paint. Just scrub with normal soap under cold water to get as much of the stain out as possible, then wash as normal (this is what is recommended by DD's school in case of paint on uniforms).

#18 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Try eucalyptus oil so long as no-one using it is pregnant.  My 17 yr old is into art and always gets paint all over her school clothes, euc oil left to treat it works everytime and as strange as it sounds, Earths Choice Floor Cleaner - which is mostly eucalyptus based works brilliantly, it's only a few dollars and I squirt some on the paint leave it for a while then wash, no scrubbing and it comes right out.

#19 Tigerdog

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

I always sent DD to daycare in clothes that didn't matter,

I did this too until I realised that when the kids are home with me on the weekends they spend all their time outside therefore the good clothes I put on them then end up in a worse state than if I let them wear them to daycare!  My Mum keeps buying them really nice stuff I'm loathe to have destroyed so I've just told her to put a hold on the good stuff for now, they really don't need that many clothes at all.

Edited by Tigerdog, 29 November 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#20 Heather11

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

I'm sure schools are only allowed to use water based paints.  I know some of these can still be tough to budge of clothes.  I would treat with stain remover, soak, scrub with sard soap then wash.  As long it has mostly faded or washed off I wouldn't have an issue.

DS has been going to school with red texta marks on his school shirt for two years.  They are not hugely noticeable.

#21 livvie7586

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (Winterdanceparty @ 29/11/2012, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it is called Lyons Early Learning Centre and apparently most of the kids had paint on their clothes yesterday. Thanks for the replies everyone.

are shirts still $20?  and yesterday wouldn't have been cold enough for a jumper.

I'd be leaving it for the year (there's 3 weeks left in the ACT school year) and just buy new next year (for all you know he might outgrow the uniform by then), and if he's in yr 2 then that's the end of the road at lyons.

If he's in a younger year then we'll probably run into your daughter next year (we may have even run into her last year), DD is off to Lyons for preschool next year (and DS went there last year)

#22 CharliMarley

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

It wasn't a school uniform. It was a good polo shirt and if she had known this was going to happen, she would have sent him in old clothes. The school really should have put them into dad's old shirt or something over their clothes. He wasn't the only one covered in spray paint. I might have to look at a can of spray paint and see if it water based or oil based.

#23 CharliMarley

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

bbighug.gif They are both off to Gordon next year.

#24 Glr-r

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

School is for learning, painting, playing, exploring, why would you send them in good clothes? Even in uniform i expect that they will get paint etc on it, it's a part of school.

#25 casime

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

It wasn't a school uniform. It was a good polo shirt and if she had known this was going to happen, she would have sent him in old clothes.
\

When it comes to daycare, I always assume that DS will get food/sand/water/paint/playdoh/etc all over his clothes.  I wouldn't send him in something that was 'good'.   And I would send him in something with a paint stain on it, because it's probably just going to get a few more.

I actually like picking DS up and finding him filthy.   It's usually teamed with a great big smile from having such a fun day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

A year without Vicki

Vicki had a three-month-old son when she first felt something wasn't right. She was gone within a year.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.