Boori classic or Tasman Eco

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BBV

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Hi girls,

I'm trying to decide between a boori classic or Tasman Eco tuscany, both in white.

They are a very similar price for change table, cot and mattress.

I have read about some issues with Tasman Eco dropping mechanism on some cots but other than that they seem OK and got a good write up in choice.

Does anyone have any feedback?

Edited by BBV, 28 November 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#2 Ice Queen

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

I love my Boori furniture.  It is white too.  It is now 3.5 yo, survived 2 house moves and onto its 2nd baby.  All looks pretty perfect except one dent from the 1st move on the changetable.  I think it looks lovely in the nursery, suits boy or girl, is very sturdy, good practical designs.....very little to fault.

The cot is big (but I love that the baby has so much room) so cot sheets are not easy to find.  I do find the babies bang the wooden edges on the changetable now they are bigger and wriggling.  That is about my biggest complaints.

#3 seaside_feral

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

We recently made the same decision & decided to go with the Boori, mainly because I'd also read about problems with the drop side mechanism on the Tasman Eco. Actually I posted this thread about it & got quite a few replies about this problem.  That said though, when our Boori classic was delivered there was a fault in the varnish on the head of the cot, so we had to return it & we're currently waiting on the replacement. I must say though that the fellow at the shop was excellent when we told him about the problem & we're hoping our new one will arrive any day now.

Good luck with your decision!

#4 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

Can't speak for the Tasman, but we have a second hand Boori cot and change table. The original owner used it for two kids and we used it for DD2. We used the cot for 2 years and the change table is still going strong after 3 (although it's used for storage, not changing, now). They're very strong, well made pieces of furniture and I have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone. The only marks on our cot are from where each of the kids chewed on the sides, and have survived moving from the original owner's house to ours, and we also moved house once as well. Never had any problems with the drop side, and I loved the ability to drop the side with one hand (not sure what the drop mechanism is on the Tasman) because I'm short and couldn't get baby in without putting the side down.

#5 sakura73

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

We have the Tasman, and the drop mechanism is indeed a bit dodgy. We just don't use it, which is becoming harder as DS gets heavier!

#6 mandala

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

We also have the Tasman, and don't use the drop side. Honestly, once you've dropped the base of the cot, it doesn't make a big difference to getting DS in and out.  I'm a real shorty and have to stand on tip toes and hoik him in, so it's inconvenient either way.

Before you buy, I suggest you and your DH both try putting your arm in between the bars and make sure it's possible to pat your baby. It's a killer when it turns out the lovely cot you bought will only accommodate your arm so your DH gets out of settling. I kind of wish I got the Childcare Sandiford - it has wheels and is easily rocked, and is kind of flimsy so I could jiggle it to help settle DS. But then, I had a pretty bad sleeper!

#7 Lucygoosey1

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

I'm sure I mentioned something in another thread.  But we have a Tasman Eco which is being used for our second child,  so about 3.5yrs of use.  The drop side was becoming a bit difficult,  so I called Tasman Eco and they have a 5 year warranty.  They came out and replaced the entire side.  Really easy and I would recommend them.  Ours still looks great.

#8 leita

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Yep, we have a tasman eco- lovely. Used it for DD for 2.5 years, as it was so sturdy and she was never a climber. DS has now been using it for a year- no problems with the drop side here. Have moved house several times, and always goes back together well. :-) Didn't get the matching furniture, and tbh we only used a change table until DS was about 4 months and got too wriggly for it to feel safe, and since then have just used a change mat on the floor.

#9 BBV

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

Thanks everyone...

Really not sure which way to go. I like the look of the Tasman Eco but really don't want issues with the drop mechanism!

#10 indigo~

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Apparently with the Tasman Eco you have to buy a separate part to convert to a toddler bed, while this is not required with the Boori. That was what swayed me to the boori (as well as drop side issues).

#11 flutterbudget

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

We have the Tasman Eco Tuscany. At first when we put the cot together we had trouble with the drop side sticking but a call to the company fixed that. The service man came out and showed us how to easily drop the side, and he also mentioned that there had been some issues with the gates but replaced ours on the spot to put us at ease and said to call him back if there were any issues.

I thought their customer service was amazing.

The cot we chose made either the recommended or worth considering categories in the latest Choice test at the time, so we were happy to buy it.

#12 PonyoLand

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

We also have the Tasman Eco Tuscany - love it, it's gorgeous & we haven't had any issues whatsoever so far original.gif

#13 BBV

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

Thanks everyone, a hard decision!

#14 Wyrmbait

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

I have a boori, but i liked the look of the Tasman much more.

#15 BBV

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:50 PM

Now I'm even more confused, I just read the latest choice report on cots and the Eco passed but the boori classic isn't recommended based on these points:

• The base was too wide, resulting in a narrow gap between mattress base and dropside bottom rail that could trap a child's fingers.
• Unfilled holes in the underside of the dropside, fixed side and cot ends pose a finger entrapment hazard, but are unlikely to cause injury.
• Minor failure of information requirements

Anyone with a Boori noticed any major issues as per the two points above?! It passes Australian standards so I figured this should be good enough...

Edited by BBV, 03 December 2012 - 08:51 PM.

#16 wonder woman

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

Tasman Eco FREE 3 Piece Cot Sheet Set (FB like)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Essential Baby & Toddler Show Brisbane (4-6 March). Register online now to save $20!

Newborn baby found in a nativity scene

Police are trying to trace a woman who abandoned a baby boy in the manger of a church nativity scene.

Life would be harder without my kids

The Humans of New York Facebook page is well known for sharing touching, real stories from one of the world's biggest cities – and it's just hit the heart of parents everywhere.

Mum dresses as Wonder Woman for last day of chemo

A Brisbane mum dressed up as a superhero to celebrate the end of her chemotherapy and created a moment her family will remember forever.

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Former Hi-5 member's cannabis hope

Former Hi-5 star Tim Harding hopes a cannabis-derived drug will help control his daughter's epilepsy, which sees the four-year-old suffering between 50 and 100 seizures a day.

The top 5 reasons your toddler throws a tantrum

Whilst to the outside world little people may appear to have it easy, it's actually not always the case – just ask any toddler who's had their toast cut up the wrong way.

Glenn McGrath thought he'd lost his wife and baby

Australian cricket ledged Glen McGrath has spoken about the moment he thought he might lose his wife, Sara and their baby daughter, Madison.

Inside my Centrelink nightmare

Mother Bec Smith has been trying for months to access Centrelink payments. A "serious error" is preventing her.

Warnings over push for hourly childcare billing

Australia's peak childcare body has called for caution around the Turnbull government's push for childcare centres to charge parents by the hour, not by the day.

Cate Blanchett thought about adopting for years

Cate Blanchett says her recent adoption of a baby girl had nothing to do with wanting a daughter after having three sons.

Kate Walsh: 'I can't have kids'

Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh has revealed she is unable to have children because she has experienced early menopause.

The parasite that could boost fertility

The Tsimane women of Bolivia are often revered as among the most fertile in the world - on average having 10 children in their lifetimes -- but some are even more fertile than others.

Family may sue cousin over genetics

A Melbourne couple is suing the Royal Children's Hospital for failing to diagnose a genetic disorder in their first child - an error they allege caused them to have another child with severe disabilities.

Strange things mums have done in labour

While most women in labour focus on the upcoming birth of their baby, some women do more interesting things.

Michael Clarke reveals baby's name

When Michael Clarke said he was wrapped around the finger of his little princess, he wasn't joking.

The logistics of breastfeeding twins

Our life is more or less divided into neat four hour parcels of time and it's hard to get much of anything done in the time between feeds.

How to stop people ruining Christmas

We can make a conscious effort about how we react to those curly Christmas day scenarios that can send us up the wall, or should we say chimney.

Lots of formula offers for desperate mum

The mum who was down to her last three tins of baby formula said she had received hundreds of calls and offers to send her formula.

Surviving breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Cot sheet brands for the nursery

With so many awesome cot sheet options these days, we thought we'd put together a list of go-to brands for you to seek out for your baby's bed.

What's hot on EB

How I survived breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Grieving father's letter to Bataclan terrorists: "...this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free"

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

5 challenges of motherhood - and how to see them differently

Despite the smiles, the sloppy kisses and the pure magic children bring to our lives, it's hard to deny that motherhood can be tough.

4 challenges of being a new dad - and how to face them

Becoming a parent is challenging – and that applies to both mums and dads.

My battle against antenatal and postnatal depression

I was five months pregnant when I realised I needed help.

Children swapped at birth will not be returned to biological parents

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

A quarter of men believe they get 'man periods'

A British study has revealed one in four men believe they have a monthly cycle.

Baby deposit

How much do you need to save for a 'baby deposit'?

It's fairly straightforward to calculate a house deposit, but how much money do you need to save up for a baby?

Dad's beautiful note to his wife, a nurse

To anyone else it might just look like a picture of a mum having a nap with her toddler.

'I was a complete schmuck': Mike Baird opens up about his wife's postnatal depression

When his wife Kerryn was not well following the birth of their daughter, NSW Premier Mike Baird buried himself in his work.

Mum's desperate plea as whooping cough alert issued

A desperate mother has shared a heart-breaking video of her baby struggling to cope with a coughing fit caused by pertussis.

Coffee could help you live longer

New US research found people who report drinking three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from heart disease, suicide, diabetes or Parkinson's disease.

The joy and dread of playdates

To live vicariously through your child is to rediscover anxieties you thought dead and buried.

Sick baby could die without scarce special formula, mum says

Lizzie Cann is down to her last three tins of a special formula in short supply.

Adorable toddler's strop foiled by squeaky shoes

We're probably all familiar with the pouty bottom lip and tightly crossed arms of a tot mid-strop.

More sex during World Cup created more baby boys

More sex during South Africa's World Cup meant a disproportionately high number of boys were born nine months later, a new study has found.

ABC Shop perfect for Christmas gifts

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Do fitness challenges really work?

Fitness challenges aren't new. There's Michelle Bridges 12WBT and a bunch of other programs if you really want to lose weight.

What are pregnant women Googling?

Pregnancy is a huge change for any woman, so it's natural we'll have questions - and turn to Google to ask them.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.