Would you be happy, envious or mad at this person

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Rachaelxxx

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

This is the scenario.  Your school for many many years has had a policy where no parents of students would be offered a position to work in the office at the school.  This isn't a policy set in concrete, but yes over the years many mothers have if there were any jobs going and were always told that they don't hire parents of students at the school for privacy reasons.

You turn up to school one day and see a mother working in the office, she is only on casual and will next year will be working full time, but she was approached and asked would she be interested in a job in the office.

Would you be happy for her, mad that she was offered such a position, would you put a complaint in writing.  What would you do and how would you feel.

#2 CallMeFeral

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

I'd be happy for her but mad at the school for showing, presumably, some kind of favouritism.
I'm not sure if I could be bothered complaining.

#3 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

I dont know... Ive been in a situation where I have been denied a permanent position that I was temping in for aaaages because "we don't encourage nepotism" (My dad was the manager of the group I was working in), but they had (before and after the time I was working there) a steady stream of family member. At the time, yeah, I felt quite peeved and took it a bit personally.

I do get frustrated when someone says "our policy is xyz" but they turn around and make exceptions.

But I guess at the same time, Id also be happy for the lady who got the job.

#4 ChunkyChook

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

I would be happy for her, but it would also raise a few questions in my head. I wouldn't complain though, and unless I had personally been knocked back for a position at the school based on the fact my children attended. Actually even then I wouldn't complain but I would ask what the story was though.

#5 fatbelly

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

I personally wouldn't care because I don't have to work and don't want to work, more power to her.

I would ask her who she had to sleep with to get the job because I am a notorious gossip.

Do mums really want to work at their kids school? I'm just not that into it.

#6 BadCat

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

I'd be a bit miffed but would wonder whether what the circumstances involved were.  Could be all sorts of reasons why they've made an exception.

#7 SisterMaryElephant

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

I'd be happy for her.  I also wouldn't really buy the 'we don't hire parents line'.  That's seems pretty weird to me, and not really conducive to the sort of school community I like for my kids.  I like having other mums around the school in different capacities.

Do mums really want to work at their kids school? I'm just not that into it.

Really?  It'd be my dream come true! So envious as well, I guess

Edited by CleverChook, 28 November 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#8 casime

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

Was the job advertised?  Maybe the mother has special qualifications that were needed in the role.

#9 Rosie R

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

I don't think you can be mad at her for being offered the position, she didn't make the rule the school did.

Maybe not so honest, but the school may have created this rule to avoid insulting parents by denying them the position?

Just speculation on my behalf.

I don't think its logical for anyone to be anything but happy for her.

I've gone for many jobs that have had friends/colleagues going for the same role.  Essentially I've just accepted that they were the best person for the job.

#10 threetimesblessed

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Policies change, circumstances change, school executive change.

Maybe the job was advertised and she was the most appropriately qualified?

What would complaining achieve? She is currently working in the role and will do so next year.

Wearing the hats of a parent/staff member is not always easy.

#11 Tigerdog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

If I were interested in the job at any time then yes I would be mad but if not then I don't know that I'd even turn a hair at it.

#12 Ice Queen

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Happy.  I would assume the person had the perfect qualifications for the job and was good at it.  For that reason I would be pleased that the school had the common sense to overlook a ridiculous redtape policy in order to give a job to a person who deserved it.

#13 Chaos in stereo

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

I wouldn't have a problem with the person involved, but I would question why the school made an exception for her. Is the concern for the privacy of students and their families no longer valid? ie: has the school changed its records management so that a person in her position will not have access to sensitive information?

If not, I would have a problem with the school's decision. If she could see where parents had made complaints about a staff member, or the child's disciplinary history, or private health information that is potentially stigmatising, I don't think it is right.

#14 Ianthe

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

If there was a position available then it should have been advertised to the school community.

#15 Tigerdog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Maybe not so honest, but the school may have created this rule to avoid insulting parents by denying them the position?

Come on, give grown adults their due re. handling not being successful in a job application!  More insulting and likely to get people off-side in the log-term to quote this silly rule then go ahead and break it as it suits them!

Personally I don't know how anyone would be that involved in their school to even know the movements of the office staff, there are plenty of office jobs out there so I probably wouldn't have even gone for that one in the first place!

#16 papilio

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

If the school my kids go to instituted such a policy now, they'd lose half their staff!

I honestly wouldn't care.

#17 EsmeLennox

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (Ianthe @ 28/11/2012, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If there was a position available then it should have been advertised to the school community.

This. In fact schools in the public system are REQUIRED to do so. Is this a public or private school?

I wouldn't be mad at the person who has the job, but I would be annoyed that correct procedure was not followed for accountability reasons.

#18 bakesgirls

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

I don't think I'd care enough to form an opinion on it.

#19 mez70

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Also it would depend if her kids were still at the school the following year.. If her child was in the last year of primary school and moving the following year then next year she wont actually be a parent..

The may have had this policy in the past yet the person in the role is and was the only suitable applicant or possess a specific skill the school needed and wanted.

I personally could care less. I know at my kids school the lady in the office was a school mum first then active on the pfa etc then was helping out a day or 2 a week and is now full time do I care no, can she do the job yes....... so more power to her.. her girls have since left the school as well so we still haev a wonderful person in our school community who we may have otherwise lost

#20 casime

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

I wouldn't expect a job to be advertised to the school community, I would expect it advertised wherever that school normally places their job advertisements.  Maybe it was, she applied, was the right applicant, and got the job.  Occam's razor and all that.

#21 FiveAus

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

Workplace policies change all the time. New management, new government (for public service jobs) can mean policies change without much warning.
As far as a school office goes, it's just a regular admin job, not sure why it would need to be advertised to the school community. Do they advertise cleaners jobs that way? Teachers? I'm sure there are parents who are teachers.

#22 EsmeLennox

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

Yes, advertised to the school community via the appropriate channels. Also if schools have a short term position of this nature (ie an office type position that the department/organisation doesn't have a redeployee for) to fill there is some scope to advertise on a local in-school basis first, but this would only ever be a temporary position, which would then have to be opened to more rigorous selection processes to fill the position permanently.

Edited by Jemstar, 28 November 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#23 Heather11

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (papilio @ 28/11/2012, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the school my kids go to instituted such a policy now, they'd lose half their staff!

I honestly wouldn't care.

Same here.  This includes teachers as well.

Maybe it was advertised through the proper channels, she applied and was the best fit for the job.

#24 AstralMoon

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

UOTE

Come on, give grown adults their due re. handling not being successful in a job application! More insulting and likely to get people off-side in the log-term to quote this silly rule then go ahead and break it as it suits them!

I think the pp meant that some parents just go into their school office and expect to be given a paid job just because they have shown an interest.

Some parents really don't have any idea of how the system works  -not pointing the finger,just saying that that is a truth. They don't know what they don't know, that's all. Govt school = Govt job & a  Selection process.

Edited by AstralMoon, 28 November 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#25 fancie

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Perhaps this person was already registered with the Education Department and was working within the school system but at other schools - then applied for a transfer to their children's school when the position became available.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.