What age were you when you went back to work full time after being a SAHM?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Wineandchocolate

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

[I originally posted this in the 'older mums' forum, but it's not getting much traffic there!]

For various reasons, DH and I didn't have our first child until I was  38, the second one at 40.  Until then I had a highly paid job (probably  overpaid for what I was actually doing) and DH worked fulltime.  Our youngest now still has 3  years before starting school and I am considering being a SAHM with both of them until  then (they both currently attend childcare full time but I recently  finished work as i was on a fixed term contract).  I am really having  trouble finding another job and we can't afford to keep sending them to  childcarecare on the chance I will find work soon.  So I'm thinking of taking  them out of care and staying home with them.  But that means I will be  45 by the time I'd be re-entering the workforce.  I know 'younger women'  have this sort of gap in their careers all the time, but I'm worried  about how much harder it will be then compared to now to find work  again.  My work is in a fairly niche area so jobs are hard to come by as  it is.

So...what do you think?  At what age did you (will you) be returning to work, if at all?

#2 Chchgirl

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

I had my first daughter at 30 and second at 33..I stayed home and started re-training at 37 and re-entered the workforce at 38 while training for a couple of years, then changed careers again.

I had no issues as I was retraining and age was no barrier in that case.

original.gif

#3 Beancat

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

This is a good topic OP.  I have not quite got to your situation but have been wondering about re-employment.
I had DS when i was 34 (I went back to work bw babies when DS was 9mo) and DD when 37 in jan this year.  I am now pregnant with No 3 and have decided there is no point going back to work for 4 months, so will be out of the workforce for two years.

I have however retrained as a secondary teacher over the last couple of years, but will be 39 when I re-enter the workforce either in my old area or teaching.

I think I will go ok when I re-enter as I can demonstrate I was at least studying while on mat leave this year, so have kept my mind/skills active.

Could you maybe do some professional development in your area OP while being a SAHM?  Another option to keep your skills up, is there any type of volunteer work that fits your skills, ie i know a few accountants who volunteer as the kinder treasurer while SAHMs.  I think if you can demonstrate you have been active in your profession, albeit not necessarily paid, while you are a SAHM this will help you re-enter the workforce.

#4 amabanana

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

I think I will go ok when I re-enter as I can demonstrate I was at least studying while on mat leave this year, so have kept my mind/skills active.

I agree with keeping skills up to date but I think it's sad that there is an idea that being a SAHM means your mind isn't active.  Off topic but I find that insulting.  Just because I'm not in paid employment doesn't mean I spend my time staring at the walls/TV with my mind turning to mush.  Not sure what other Mums do but I certainly don't sit around doing nothing with my brain (unless you count wasting time on EB.  wink.gif)

Edited by amabanana, 28 November 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#5 bubblegummum

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

I went back at about 33yo.  So my gap was when I was younger.  Now in my 40s I constantly hear that it gets harder to change jobs, find jobs & get promotions from your mid 40s.  I hadn't really thought that ageism would kick in that early (I know it will depend on skills, demand etc).

I've always thought that the assumption is that after a break of several years your skills and knowledge may not be up to date rather than your brain has turned to mush.

#6 Ally'smum

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

I would pull them out of childcare and stay home, but keep your eye on job ads, if something comes up that looks really good, apply and see how you go.

A lot can change in 3 years and you can change your mind about what you are doing at anytime. If you need to go back then be open minded about what you can do, once you are employed it is much easier to move around.

As well, look after yourself, you can go back to work as a 'young' 45 rather than an 'old' 45.

The most I am having as a break is two years, I need to work to pay the mortgage and despite having worked for 18 years, I still don't have a 'career' as such, hope to have one before I retire...

#7 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

I had my first at 30 and have gone back 2 days. I am pregnant again and will be going back on maternity leave next year, so will be returning part time mid 2014. I'm hoping for one more child after this one but will not go back full time while they are little. I don't particularly want to go back at all but need to keep a foot in the door.

I don't anticipate retuning to full time work until I'm pushing 40.

I think if you can study something in the meantime if you are able to is a good idea, but like pp its very insulting that if you're not studying or working you are assumed to have no brain.

#8 Wahwah

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

This issue plays on my mind often. That if I decide to go back into full time work I'll be in my mid 40s. And that maybe some young whipper snapper in HR might think I'm out of touch.

I had my first at 35, went back to work for a year when bub was 12 months and then stopped work again at 37 when number two came along.

I want to keep my options open, while having no interest in full time work at the moment. So I've been able to keep my hand in by doing freelance work for the past few years and that way I can at least show that I've maintained some connection to the workforce. If I wasn't doing this I think I'd pick up a course or a couple of subjects here and there to show I'm still engaged with my industry.

I think I should be ok to get a job in the future so long as I maintain my contacts. Plus I work in a female dominated area.  

OP could you do any consulting or freelance in the future given you are in a niche area? Even just a little occasional project might be good.

#9 lizzzard

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

What kind of industry are you in OP? I think different industries are more/less forgiving of a career gap. For example, IT strikes me as one of the tougher ones given the pace of development /change in that field.

#10 JRA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

I had DS when I was 37, nearly 38, I went back "casual" in IT when he was 3, I was 41 and a bit.  I have been working "casual" or "part time" ever since.  

I work in IT in value add role, consulting, sometimes training, I mainly contract to the software vendor who I previously worked for.

The only reason I don't work FT is because I don't want to. they are harassing me continually to go back to FT

#11 Chchgirl

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

I forgot to add I never went back to work full time, and only recently work full time flexi hours because I work for myself. I've worked for myself for about three years in two roles.

#12 SeaPrincess

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

I had my children at age 35, 37 and 39.  I went back to work part time earlier this year, but on a very casual basis. I am currently working for my old boss in a similar role, but for a different organisation.  I am not planning to work full-time until 2015 at the earliest, when DD starts full-time school, so I will be 45, but I may stay part-time even then.

I am fortunate that I have been able to start back at work in my same field, and I am now waiting on a call after interviewing for a more serious part-time job which my boss recommended to me.  If I get this, I would see myself working part time for the next 2 years, then when I'm ready to go full-time, for it to be in the same place.

#13 cesca

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

I had my first at 30, my second at 32.  I'm now 41.

I went back part time by the time my babies were one, but VERY part time, i.e. 10 - 15 hours a week approx, in a variety of casual roles.

In an ideal world I'd never work full time again, and neither would DH, but part time roles are hard to come by. At least, part time jobs that pay more than $14 an hour are!

I am currently job seeking again.  I'm finally realising my age may count against me, as I would be going into entry level positions that would lead into a career type job.  I am only now considering full time work, after 10 years out, but would prefer 20 - 30 hours per week.

#14 CharliMarley

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

I had my first baby at 22 and my second at 25 and my third at 27. Then I stayed home to look after them until my youngest was 18 and had a car, so I retrained on computers and was able to get a job in a medical clinic at 45. I had been out of the workforce for a long time, but I had kept up with things by being a secretary for various hobbies and I kept my brain active. I retired 6 years ago and I keep my brain active with this computer and I trained for two years to be a breastfeeding counsellor and now I go onto the helpline for 4 hour shifts, twice a month.  eexcite.gif

#15 Overtherainbow

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

I was a young mum in my early 20's when we had our first and was only just getting my career established.  I worked casually in my own business in my career and casually in unskilled work until my youngest reached 3 yo kindy, then returned part time.  Full time now.

Though I was working casually, I usually worked 20 hours, some weeks 60 hours.  The hours worked in with DH though so no cc was needed.  Most overtime was paid which was lovely.

I had no issues returning to the workforce and I've already turned down a promotion because I'm not ready to commit to more hours (already working 60 hours most weeks).  I am at the younger end but I also had less experience.  

The best decision I made was to sta connected to my industry though as I coud prove that I coud make a difference in the industry and that I had kept up with changes.

Sorry,  I was 30 :-)

Edited by round the twist, 28 November 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#16 vanessa71

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

I became a SAHM when I had DD when I was 34, I haven't been back to work since (didn't have a job to go back to), but I have applied for a couple just to get some interview experience. Unfortunately, I don't even get call backs, so haven't really had the interview experience.

#17 knittingkitten

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

I had DD when I was 34 and DS when I was 37. I returned to work at 40 (and a half wink.gif)

#18 Jembo

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

This time I am 38 when I returned, I have kept pretty busy in between with a small home based business since he was born, but returned to paid work this year.

#19 cinnabubble

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

I have never been a SAHM, just some maternity leave, but I'm 43 now and I wouldn't like to be trying to get back into the workforce after too long a break at this age.

#20 jayskette

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

I always imagined I would be a SAHM for 6 months at the mininum and 2 years maximum, depending on family financial situation, but after having looked after a baby for ONE day... I might revise the minimum to 6 weeks lol

#21 Wyn99

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

I had my children at 33, 35 and 37. Except for 12 mths mat leave with No. 1, and 6months with 2 & then 3, I have worked casually/part-time always. I *hope* to return FT (school hours if possible) when the youngest starts primary school, still 4 years away. Don't miss FT work at all - did it for 15 years prior to kids.

#22 .Jerry.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

I only had ten months off (plus one month sick leave and six weeks holidays) after having Molly.  Went back to work aged 38.  Still going.  original.gif

#23 Nofliesonme

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (amabanana @ 28/11/2012, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with keeping skills up to date but I think it's sad that there is an idea that being a SAHM means your mind isn't active.  Off topic but I find that insulting.  Just because I'm not in paid employment doesn't mean I spend my time staring at the walls/TV with my mind turning to mush.  Not sure what other Mums do but I certainly don't sit around doing nothing with my brain (unless you count wasting time on EB.  wink.gif)

Ooohhhh I like this. original.gif very true

#24 strawberrycakes

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

I left my job of 7 years at age 27 & I returned to work this year almost 5 years of being a SAHM at age 32.  TBH I found it very difficult to get a job due to being out of the workforce for so long & because I don't have a 'career' the industry I was returning to needed up to date skills, I am studying for that so I think in the end that helped.

#25 Guest_Dinah_Harris_*

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

I had a high-paying job in banking when I had my first baby at 28.  It's the sort of job where you either go back full time or not at all, so I didn't go back.  I had my second and final baby at 30.
I have completely changed my career focus and am re-training, too.  I start my Masters degree next year.  It's something I can do from home, organise my own hours and in a few years when the kids are in school, can become as busy as I like, still from home.
The money will be woeful for a few years, but that's a sacrifice I've decided (and can afford) to make.  the best part is that I'm really passionate about it and it satisfies my creativity.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

Couple has five babies in 14 months

Julie and David Grygla weren't sure they'd ever have kids - but their dreams have now well and truly come true.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.