Do you cook with marinara mix?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Missmarymack

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

I have a serious seafood craving and the local market has a good looking marinara mix. If I want to make a pasta sauce with it, do I make a tomato based sauce first and then add the marinara mix at the end?

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to use it?

#2 PippityRoo

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

We have it occasionally. We grab a jar of marinara sauce (or a packet, can't remember) from Woolies/Coles, and add it to that after cooking it first. Then serve with cooked spaghetti or fettuccine. Yum!

#3 Oriental lily

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

Even though I like mussels on their own I find the flavor to strong in supermarket  mixes. They put WAY to much of it in.

So I make my own with white fish, prawns squid or calamari. Then maybe a couple of mussels.

I either make my own sauce or buy a pasta sauce.
I don't really lie creamy sauces with seafood do its always tomatoe.

I might actually make some tonight!

#4 Elippo

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

I put it through a basic risotto to make a seafood rissotto (i.e. cook the rice in one cup of wine and as much chicken or fish stok as needed) and stir throught the marina mix.

#5 EBeditor

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

Make a simple tomato sauce and just add the seafood for the last 2 mins or until it is cooked through.

Other things you could use it for are a seafood chowder, a seafood pie or seafood pizza. Make sure you rinse it first and use the same day you buy it.

#6 mez70

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

Must put glasses on as I was wondering why you would be asking who cooked with a certain "herbal mix" lol.....

#7 *LucyE*

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

If adding to a tomato sauce, I would fry the mix separately in a garlic oil mix.  Maybe add a splash of white wine to help deglaze the yummy bits. Then tip into the tomato sauce (or vice versa). Let it simmer briefly to meld flavours and a serve.

#8 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

I use it in thai green curry.

#9 reebs

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

I'm no chef.... But this one works a treat
One little chilli, garlic and ginger
Fry with oil / butter mix
Add seafood,
Then splash in lime juice and a teaspoon of brown sugar ( something about enhancing flavours - again not a chef!!)
Serve on rice.  
We aren't chilli fans at all, but this is a fab of ours! Everyone '"trades" a scallop for a prawn or a mussel for a calamari etc, the kids enjoy it.

#10 Alacritous~Andy

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

That sounds great.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.