Help for new mum-to-be

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 pinkblue

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

I am doing some research into bottles etc incase I need to bottle feed my baby. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice as to which bottles, teats, sterilizer is best for a newborn baby?

I already have a few Tommee tippee closer to nature bottles but I'm wondering if others are better. Ive heard the pigeon peristaltic bottles are good. There seems to be a new teat/bottles out now the peristaltic plus. Are these better than the original teats? I've also heard good things about the medela calma bottle/teats?

Also which formula is the best for newborns? I've heard good things about bellamy's? Should I stay away from NAN formulas?

And lastly, which sterilizer would you recommend to fit wide neck bottles?

I'm not definitely planning on bottle feeding, I just want to be prepared as to what to get in case I need to. I have some breast issues that may make breastfeeding difficult although I will be trying my hardest to make breastfeeding work for us in the beginning.

#2 ~shannon~

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

From my experience there's no real difference from one brand over another, except for the quality of the plastic (ie. BPA-free or not BPA-free). I bought lots of different brands because DD rejected bottles full stop at five months of age. I had to stop breastfeeding suddenly due to ill health and having to take strong medications. It was an incredibly stressful time as we bought every bottle under the sun to get her to feed, but she rejected all of them (this was an incredibly expensive exercise!). In the end, we had to starve her so that she would eventually suck and feed due to being so hungry. I do not recommend this method one bit, but it was necessary and we had a midwife assist us who also said this was the only option left.

Once she got the hang of it I was given some Avent bottles so I ended up using that brand the most and bought extra bottles, teats, etc as they all work together. I just had a microwave steriliser which worked fine (and much cheaper than the electric ones). Since you've already got Tommy Tippee, just stick with those for now.

As for formula, my midwife recommended Nestle NAN and I found it was the best for my DD. Another brand (can't remember which one) gave DD terrible constipation. Not sure why you would stay to "stay away" from NAN.  shrug.gif

Good luck with breastfeeding OP, I hope you overcome any hurdles on the way.

#3 pinkblue

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

I heard there were some issues with NAN formula awhile back? Lots of babies had reactions to it?

#4 Escapin

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

My DD had to have formula for a few days when she was first born. She had NAN, no problems. Can't really comment on the bottle issues, once we got breastfeeding going, she wouldn't have a bar of any bottle!

If you're thinking you might have issues with breastfeeding, I would STRONGLY recommend that you get a lactation consultant lined up. If you can afford it, a private lactation consultant so they can come to you whenever you need help. If you're in Sydney I can PM you the details of the lady that I saw. I'm still breastfeeding DD now (at 19months OMG!) and I would have given up in the first 2 weeks.

#5 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

My sister gave me some Advent bottles and a microwave sterilizer. I bought new teats though. I have since replaced the 2nd hand one with some new bottles. I also bought an Advent manual breast pump. The sterilizer is really easy to use.

I haven't given my bub formula. I was going to buy a can I case I needed it but I figured that if I needed some I could always go and buy a can.  I just have a few expressed bottles in the freezer for if I need them.

#6 Funky Cold Ribena

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

DD had Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bottles. She was a bit windy and I found that these helped relieve that post feed trapped wind rather than the Avent bottles.
DS, on the other hand, has no trouble with Avent as he is less windy and that is what we use now.

For both my babies, I was recommended S26 Gold by the paediatrician and midwives, which suited them both fine. However my friend's baby suffered constipation with it.

I'm sure you can get samples of formula from pharmacies ( I may be wrong), ask and try a few and see which one suits your baby.

Good luck!

#7 WithSprinkles

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

I have medela bottles and steriliser and they have been fine (my baby is breastfed but I do express sometimes), no problems with bottle/nipple refusal either (though I did avoid bottle feeding for the first 6 weeks).

I did buy the calma teat (which is supposed to be good for breastfed babies) but DD had trouble getting milk out of it..I actually tried sucking on it myself and couldn't get it to work! Not sure if I did something wrong putting it on or anything though. Since the regular teats worked fine, I didn't worry. I don't think there is a huge difference between most of the brands.

I have been breastfeeding my DD now for over 6 months.  I also took a breastfeeding class before her birth but found that much of the info covered in the class I had already found out myself through reading stuff on the internet (still a good class though).
That early support I got in hospital was essential to my breastfeeding experience. The midwives I had were fantastic.

ETA: Since I don't use formula I don't really have any advice for that, except I have heard a few of my friends mention that they changed formulas after the NAN issues were publicised.

Edited by VanillaIcecream, 28 November 2012 - 11:54 AM.

#8 bakesgirls

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

I used, and still use, NUK and Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bottles. My DDs have never been too fussy over what bottle they were given. I just made sure they were BPA free.

All of them have been fed with S26 Gold from the time I stopped breastfeeding until they progressed on to cows milk. None of my girls ever really had any issues with constipation like some babies do when they are on S26.

All bottles and accessories were sterilised in Milton.

#9 Ice Queen

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (pinkblue @ 28/11/2012, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I heard there were some issues with NAN formula awhile back? Lots of babies had reactions to it?

Yes they changed an ingredient about 5mo ago.  My DS had a reaction as did thousands of other babies.  Personally I would never use it again and would never recommend it to anyone.  To the PP's who used it with no problems it was probably prior to this.  I use Karicare Aptimal Gold with no problems now.

I use Avent bottles.  Also I have a cheap Big W brand microwave sterilizer.  It is great and no different to the Avent one which was over 3x the price.  I borrowed an Avent one with my 1st baby so have used both.

#10 premmie_29weeks

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

I've bottle fed two kids almost from birth. We used avent bpa free bottles, and initially pigeon teats. Once they were a bit older I used the avent teats. Pigeon I found was better for the first few weeks. Try get the ones that have no inner ring...then you can use pigeon teats on the avent bottles.

They are hardy, I'm still using the ones I bought for ds1 who is well over 2.

I used a microwave steriliser and nan ha gold formula for both. Apart from a bit of ongoing constipation from time to time we have had no issues with the nan formulas.

#11 Alpha_Chook

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

It really depends on your baby as to what kind of bottle and teats will suit best. In hospital Eamon had the disposable plastic type which he took to really well and the nurse said that they were the same teats as the Pigeon standard teats so thats what I bought. I changed the teat as he got older to allow for a faster flow etc. We never had a special steriliser as such, we used a large tupperware container we had with Miltons.

Eamon started S26 Gold in hospital so I stuck with that and he had no problems....I kept him onto the newborn one until he was 10 months old which was when I introduced cows milk

#12 lucky 2

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

If you are to be bfing in the beginning (good luck!) I'd probably go for a longer teat rather than a short one, so Avent is not ideal as it has a short teat (due to the wide and bulbous base that wont be taken into the mouth) and look for one that will go deeper in the mouth.
All the best.

#13 raone

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

Tommee tippee have a microwave/chemical steriliser that I use which is good because I have the bottles and it all designed to fit them.

#14 LovenFire

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Avent bottle with my first DS, he loved them and refused any of the Tommee tippie range.  On nan formula as s26 made him constipated and generally whingy.

Ds2 hated avent bottles, has accepted tt bottles and is okay on nan ha.  I too heard about the change in nan formula and was a bit concerned however it has not caused me any grief. S26 has sooooo not on as he was unhappy on it and he didn't accept karicare.

Be prepared to try a range of formulas, bottles and dummies to find out your baby's preferences

#15 José

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

We have used bottles at times for IBM. DS didn't like medela Palma or regular. He does like life factory glass bottled.

#16 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

Agree it will depend on the babies preferences.

My three girls were all bottle fed at some stage. They all had different teat/bottles and formula brand.

Sometimes it's not easy finding the right bottle or formular that works for your baby. We went though bottles/teats/formula finding the right one for DD3 who had wind/feeding issues.

I hated Avent. They leak if they are not done up just right. Very fast flow, even newborn teats. None of my girls could handle the fast flow. Not a good teat if you are breastfeeding.

DD3 couldn't get a seal on the closer to nature bottles. I was told that this is a common thing with these bottle because the teat is so fat. DD2 liked them and had no issues.

DD1 loved Pigeon peristaltic but Pigeon is hard to get now.

Bottles do not need to be expensive brand names kind. Two of my children had sucking issues and the experts we saw for help said the cheap skinny bottles you get from any supermarket were the best. Cheap bottles and narrow teats worked best with DD3s feeding issues.

All formula is made to the same strict standards and there isn't much difference between them all. Child Health recommend just starting with the cheapest (Hinze). No need to buy expensive formulas if your baby is happy on a cheaper one. Also make sure that what you choose is readily available from any supermarket.
We have used Nutricia (Karicare) and Nan. Nan is one of the most expensive and no need to use if your baby doesn't need it. Not sure if it's okay now after the issues- I would ask a midwifes about that.

Don't buy any more bottles till after the baby is born. Just wait and see how things go with breastfeeding. Also you want to avoid having a heap of bottles your baby doesn't like.

I wouldn't bother with a sterilizer just yet. If you only use bottles occasionally there is no need for one. Hot, soapy water works just as well. DD3 was bottle feed full time and I never used a sterilizer.

#17 BadgerBasher

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

Bean used only Avent bottles for a while, until she was happy to go on to any bottle.

S26 gave her horrendous constipation, ditto NAN, karicare, and NAN HA. She thrived on heinz, and remained on the newborn one until 11m when she went to cows milk.

I had a Big W steriliser. worked fine original.gif

#18 minidiamond

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:26 AM

Quick one on teats - my DS is almost exclusively breastfed but we had to comp feed for the first two weeks. We had Avent bottles but he didn't like the teat so on the advice of lady in baby store, got pigeon and he took to those immediately. They seem to be a lot softer

Good luck !

#19 ScarfaceClaw

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:55 AM

When DS was in nnu they told us to use the cheapest bottles/teats... there is no need for fancy bottles, and trying to get teats that are closer to breast is not realistic and often causes more confusion.
We bought the cheap ones from target that came in a pack with a steriliser. He;s perfectly happy with them.

Cheap steriliser too. If you are using EBM you really only need to hot soapy wash tho, we only ran the sterilser when we used formula which wasn't very often.

S26 we had issues with constipation, and Nan we changed after they changed the recipe. Now we use bellamys, with no problem.

#20 pinkelephant

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:25 AM

I'm watching this thread with interest. Catch of the day had a sale on the avent gift set but when i did some reading the bottles are not BPA free and the Avent website even explained that there was no research on humans to suggest it was a problem.

I've heard bad things about BPA so I will not be using Avent.

#21 adl

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:41 AM

I used Avent and still am two years later.... We used S26 as the gold can cause constipation on some babies,,,it was what he started on at hospital due to no supply....and they did have the other types but he didn't require extra or specialized formula

My DH just went to the chemist and bought the newborn starter pack while I was in hospital and we didn't have any issues at all...

I think it's great you are getting prepared, good luck!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.