Christmas trees and cats-is this a disaster waiting to happen?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

I'm going to go and buy our first Christmas tree this year for DS.

The trouble is we have a tiny house and 6 cats. Cats who love to eat plants and attack everything.

Is this a disaster waiting to happen? I most likely won't be able to leave wrapped presents under the tree as the cats will surely destroy those.

Lol one of my non cat owning friends said "just put the tree on a table away from the cats" as if there is such a place that is "away from the cats".

Do your cats attack your tree and presents?

#2 Ianthe

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Possibly. None of my cays have ever attacked the tree though. Batted a the low ornaments yes but no damage. I don't put presents under the tree until Christmas Eve but that is more related to the children and their little fingers.

#3 BadCat

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

Yes, cats attack christmas trees.  They climb them.  They pull baubles off the tree for their own amusement and then leave them where you will tread on them in the dark.  And if you leave presents there too long they will throw up a fur ball in their midst.

#4 blackcat20

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

My cat likes to crash tackle the tree. We have a smaller one that sits on the table, but it's locked in the bathroom overnight or when we aren't home.

#5 RichardParker

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Not a disaster, as such.  They may pull the tree down, lights and all, on top of themselves and anything surrounding the tree.  Usually once they figure out it's unstable and not good for climbing they content themselves with pawing the low-lying baubles.  Unless you have a stupid cat, like we did, who didn't quite get the causal connection between climbing the tree and being stuck under a fallen tree tangled in tinsel.  

Good luck!

#6 wilding

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

I upgraded our tree to a 6ft one the other year to cater for my 2 monsters  blush.gif . They will play with the ornaments (i don't use glass ones or string tinsel as I have woken up to find green strands of tinsel in the poo box  ph34r.gif) and they both climb on it and sleep in it. I wake up in the mornings and it tends to be on a lean. One of our cats will go fish all the the baubles I have in a vase and play with them.

#7 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

One of my cats steals the baubles and stashes them in secret places. One year, she ripped a hole in the bottom of our old couch and dragged about 12 baubles up there with her and would just sit in her nest of pretties. If she could talk, I'm sure she would have been whispering "my precious" to them all. wink.gif

This year, between the 2 cats, 4 kids (2 with autism and NO impulse control, 1 toddler and a 6yo who will freak if he looks at the tree and it looks slightly different to how it was yesterday) and our brand new puppy, I'm trying to work out if we can skip the tree. I don't think we can but I have no idea where we are going to put it.

#8 BadCat

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (~Karla~ @ 28/11/2012, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One of my cats steals the baubles and stashes them in secret places. One year, she ripped a hole in the bottom of our old couch and dragged about 12 baubles up there with her and would just sit in her nest of pretties. If she could talk, I'm sure she would have been whispering "my precious" to them all. wink.gif

roll2.gif

Cats are so cool.   cool.gif

#9 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

This is all true what PPs say but cats love Christmas.  You can't deny them the fun.   And Santa will bring them special treats.

I did see an ad for a wall tree made with clear command hooks, but I don't think its the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY0dfmvHGSc

#10 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

OP we have 5 cats... 4 of them are tree tested... This is Basil's first Christmas with us.

Last year I had our huge tree up (it's so wide around the bottom that I actually left the branches off the bottom on one side otherwise the tree was in the middle of the room LOL)

They did attack the train I had set up under the tree. Well, not attack. More borrowed the train carriages for entertainment LOL

They did play with the ornaments around the bottom, but they didn't try to climb it.

I am putting our tree up this Saturday, I can't WAIT! So I'll report back on how Basil goes LOL But I do have a little tree (about 30cm tall) on our kitchen table that is decorated. So far, I've only had to stand it back up twice and it's been up since mid Oct LOL

#11 Satay Chicken

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

I'm actually buying a Christmas tree this year so I can watch the cat attack it....  cool.gif

#12 Carmen02

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

lol my two are monsters when attacking almost everything, I think my older cat is getting worse with age lol his 13yrs old. The only time I've had trouble with our christmas tree is when they where kittens and we had a smaller tree, now we have a big tree suprise they actually leave it alone.

#13 Bluenomi

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Last year we got a stick on tree for the wall since I wasn't risking a real tree with a cat and a toddler. My cat would eat the tinsel and I don't want to pay that vet bill.

#14 FiveAus

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

Depends on the cat. We haven't had a Christmas tree since we got our Burmese cat 6 years ago. He is a holy terror and he'd have it down in a flash. On the other hand our Maine Coon wouldn't bother with it at all.

#15 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

Thanks everyone original.gif I think maybe only 2, possibly 3 of my cats are likely to attack it.

I suppose I'll just go ahead and get the tree, then film the results.

#16 ~buzz~

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

My cat climbs the tree, attacks the baubles, tries to eat the tinsel and generally ends up with the tree falling over cause she is a bit of a fatty honestly its pretty funny to watch but yes a disaster waiting to happen. I have never attempted putting presents under the tree considering that she ripped apart half a roll of wrapping paper when I was trying to wrap presents

#17 -*meh*-

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (blackcat20 @ 28/11/2012, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My cat likes to crash tackle the tree. We have a smaller one that sits on the table, but it's locked in the bathroom overnight or when we aren't home.

so whats locked in the bathroom... the cat or the tree Tounge1.gif

QUOTE (~Karla~ @ 28/11/2012, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This year, between the 2 cats, 4 kids (2 with autism and NO impulse control, 1 toddler and a 6yo who will freak if he looks at the tree and it looks slightly different to how it was yesterday) and our brand new puppy, I'm trying to work out if we can skip the tree. I don't think we can but I have no idea where we are going to put it.

hmm have fun with that!!!! your cat sounds awesome

QUOTE (PussyDids @ 28/11/2012, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OP we have 5 cats... 4 of them are tree tested... This is Basil's first Christmas with us.

Last year I had our huge tree up (it's so wide around the bottom that I actually left the branches off the bottom on one side otherwise the tree was in the middle of the room LOL)

They did attack the train I had set up under the tree. Well, not attack. More borrowed the train carriages for entertainment LOL

They did play with the ornaments around the bottom, but they didn't try to climb it.

I am putting our tree up this Saturday, I can't WAIT! So I'll report back on how Basil goes LOL But I do have a little tree (about 30cm tall) on our kitchen table that is decorated. So far, I've only had to stand it back up twice and it's been up since mid Oct LOL

my trains... all mine... mwhahahahahaha

#18 VioletRose

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

Tree and cat happily co exist at our house. Cat climbs tree but has only knocked it over once many years ago. I don't have any breakable ornaments. She doesn't eat non food items so no tinsel danger.
If my cat was likely to eat tinsel I wouldn't have any because my cat is much more important to me than decorations. We didn't have a tree up the first year the dogs came home because they were still learning to behave inside together.

#19 my serenity

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

My 4 yr old kitty loved the tree she climbs up inside it and sleeps (i have a pic of her and her 3 brothets and sisters asleep in it at 8 weeks old ) she attacks the baubles at the bottom and eats the tinsel :/ sHe's only a small cat so far hasn't toppled the tree. Presents are ok under it as long as we leave a sleep area in the back corner lol

#20 Brrrroooce!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

Zip ties.
Foils cats AND toddlers!

#21 minigirl

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

This is what will happen to you Sunnycat http://www.fluffytails.ca/christmas.asp

For the record I managed to stop our cat's tree antics by lying in wait under the tree like a sniper, with a spray bottle. Paw touches tree - squirt. It worked! Though perhaps not so much if you have a water loving cat  biggrin.gif

It is pretty funny to see them wandering in and out of the branches but I was getting cross with the breakages. I admire those of you who just let them be  biggrin.gif

#22 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

I should add, I don't put ANY tinsel on our tree.

They obviously did get a little bit of glitter on their paws that they cleaned though because their poo had sparkles wink.gif

I also don't put the presents under until the day DSDs arrive LOL

#23 Cranky Kitten

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Is it bad that I'm feeling a bit ripped off - we put a tree up for the first time year before last (being the first time together in a house big enough for a tree) and sat back to watch what our indoor boy would do. Nothing. Looked at it, shrugged and went to curl up in his favourite spot in the window. Lazy beggar.

This year the tree will be in a different spot though, behind a gate - whilst the cat may not bother it, I'm pretty sure the toddler will!

#24 Dylan's Mummy

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

I have had my 16 year old cat since she was a kitten and she didn't try to attack, eat or climb the tree. She did knock a couple of baubles off the tree and played with them all around the house.

My baby is currently 8 1/2 months and gets into everything. My husband bought one of those play pen things from the market a whole ago.  At the time I didn't think I would ever use it but now I think I will put it around the tree to keep bub away from it.

#25 Feral_Pooks

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

I *sniff* want *sniff* a *gasp gasp choke* kitttttyyyyyyyyyyy  cry1.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

After four decades in the industry, pest controller John Birkett couldn't believe what he found in one woman's bedroom.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.