Explain the Bugaboo Range to me !
And which one do you recommend (or not)!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ELH05

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

Ok so with DS 1 I had a BJ City Select from birth to 1 and then swapped to a BJ City Mini.  In hindsight, I loved e City Select, but it was probably just a bit bulky/heavy.  I do love my BJ City Mini, really can't fault it at all except I wouldn't put a newborn in it.  I see there is a new version with the reversible seat but also see there is a recall on it currently so not sold on the BJ range this time.

So baby 2 is on the way and I'm a bit of a person who likes to switch it up and try new things so was going to try a different pram this time round and I must say I never really understood the fascination of the Bugaboo pram but most people who have them rave about how great they are!

Ok, so can you tell me about which one you have and why you would recommend it - there are so many (Chameleon, Bee Plus, Donkey etc - i dont know which one is best for me) I need one that suits from newborn <no bassinet seat required, just a seat that can fully recline>, a pram that could have a Toddler board attached & a fold that is easy (I'm used to the BJ fold).

#2 FizzlingFireboxes

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

We have the donkey, if you didn't like the city select because it was bulky you wouldn't like the donkey. It takes up most of our car boot (x trail).

There is a new model out now though which apparently is more compact in folding. I love the side basket as we only have it for one at the moment. Steering is great it is so easy I'm guessing it's the same with all bugaboos. Turning is great, don't think you would find a pram with better steering than a bugaboo but I guess your paying alot for it. original.gif

#3 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:49 AM

We have the bugaboo cameleon .....it has seen us through both kids (well the baby is still using it) ...I do like it, great steering as the PP said, rear facing if you want it, it looks really comfortable to sit in! It is sturdy and well made (I think)... However it is bulky, and for me, personally, I wouldn't say it is easy to collapse...actually I find it a huge palaver to collapse! This isn't an issue for me because I don't drive so I just leave it up, maybe if I had more practice I would get better at it I suppose!

#4 girltribe4

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

Bugaboo Cammy (Cameleon) The one every one raves about , does come with a bassinett but you don't have to use it (though for a newborn its preferable) . The newer model has foam tyres , older models have air tyres. You can change colours of the hood/seat around to suit your mood.
Has various toddler boards that will fit , some are just for standing and there is one that your 2nd child can sit down on.
Tend to get good package deals 2nd hand on these on Ebay/Gumtree ect but you do need to be aware there are fakes out there .
Folds in to 2 pieces and folding is a bit of a pita until you get use to it - seat and frame , not very heavy and a fairly good walking pram.

Bugaboo Bee ( older style with wings & closed wheels / newer style the ''Plus'' has open wheels) . A smaller stroller style Bugaboo . Doesn't come with a bassinett but many people use the cocoon for newborns to make it a bit more snug . The seat has a full recline.
Personally the older style is better for newborns as the hood has better coverage and the seat is more snug . The Plus is great for older babies as the seat is more roomy but they also changed the hood shape which was a shame . The seat back on the Plus extends upwards for taller bubs.
The newer Bees seem to have been plagued a bit by ''shimminging'' wheels which Bugaboo now fix by putting in washers to attach to them rolleyes.gif
Fine over the odd bit of grass / rough terrain but if you walk a lot prob not the model for you .
Can take a toddler board still , my favorite board with the Bee is the Mutsy board.

Ive never got the hype with the Cammy ( I am more of a Mountain Buggy girl biggrin.gif ) , I did love the older model the Frog though . Ive had a few Bugaboo Bees and its a great stroller biggrin.gif

The Donkey is a Double which can also be a ''single'' with a shopping basket , its okay wink.gif Personally I loved it as a single but hated it as a heavy double .Its wide too . A fantastic side by side double is the Mountain Buggy Duet happy.gif

Edited by girltribe4, 28 November 2012 - 07:03 AM.

#5 Futureself

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

I currently have a BJCS and hear you on the 'bulk factor'. I had been looking at the Bees as a possibility of a more 'runabout' pram - I wouldn't get a Cameleon or a Donkey as it's similar in style, bulk, weight to the BJCS.
One of the only things that stopped me getting the Bee from the beginning is the seat doesn't recline 100% flat. They have a newborn cocoon to use with it to make it suitable for newborn but as I was having a September baby in QLD I knew that would be too hot too quickly so wasn't an option. If you were having an autumn or winter baby then I think it would be a great pram. I have it on a list as DS gets a bit older as a possibility, unbeknownst to my DH!

#6 ELH05

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

Thanks ladies - great advice !!  So by the sounds of it, I probably should be looking at the Bee.  Baby is due in March in Perth so sort of coming into winter so hopefully the newborn cocoon won't be too hot.  Mmm decisions decisions !

#7 PreachersWife

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

I have a bee (plus) and love it! Best stroller I've ever had and everyone who has a celebrity push loves it too, seriously pushes with a single finger, turns on a dime, folds with seat attached both ways and is a flat fold, not umbrella which I think works better for storing in the car.

I've used it with the toddler board and it's pretty good, I do have to walk to the side a bit but still pushes well. I also used the maxi cosi capsule with adapters when DD was little, she was a June baby and was nice and snug. She never spent more than a few hours in the pram but I loved being able to strap her in inside, put her in for a nap if we needed to go out later etc.

Good luck and happy shopping

#8 gab72

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

I have a Bee (original) and I love it! It is perfect for a newborn (and the seat can face you) and is also great for a toddler. It is to easy to use, lightweight, flat fold, looks great.

I used the maxi cosi capsule with it which worked really well. I also use a KidSit board for my toddler, rather than a standard toddler board. I can't recommend the KidSit board highly enough, and again, it fits perfectly with the Bee and is so much easier than a double pram (I bought a P&T Double when DS2 was born and swiftly sold it, way too heavy and cumbersome).

You won't regret the Bee!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.