Did you send your twins to daycare on different days?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mariamsmum

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

I was just wondering if anyone has sent their twins to daycare on different days and had some one on one time with each twin? My boys go to daycare for a couple of days a week when I am working and have had to go by themselves once each (when DS2 was having grommet surgery and then DS3 was hospitalised with pneumonia). They did not cope at all without their brother.
To be honest I'm reluctant to split them up at all given how distressed they were on those days, but a friend mentioned that she does this and it works well for her and her twins.
Has anyone else considered this? My boys only turned 2 last week so are still quite young.

#2 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

If I could have afforded it I would have sent mine one day together and then 1 day each, that way I'd get 1 day alone and then 1 day one on one with them, I have found on the odd occasion when I have had them one on one with me they were sooo different.

#3 bjk76

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Sorry, I don't have twins, but like you say, 2 years old is still very young and if they don't cope without each other, I'd keep them together for the time being. Maybe in a year's time when they start being able to play with others, you could try it.

#4 tle

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

My twins are 7 now but when they were younger I thought about sending them on different days but didn't do it.  I work from home and was sending them 2 days a week.  For me I found it better for them to go on the same days because it meant I could get so much more work done on those days which freedme up a bit to spend ore time with them on other days. If they went on seperate days I still wouldn't get to spend much quality time with as I'd always be trying to catch up on my workload.

I don't think it has affected them at all by not having that day alone with me. They are very different anyway so I found I was spending one on one time with them doing different things e.g. I'd spend time reading to one and then later doing crafty things with the other.

Now that they are older (2nd yr of school) they still stay together in one group of friends but within that group they each have their own "best friend" and are quite happy to be seperated. I find teachers and other parents often refer to them as "the twins" (which I don't have a problem with) but the otherkids treat them as individuals.

#5 regandrog

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

No, mine went to daycare together because they were the days I worked.

I used to think I might try it in preschool but it just never seemed particularly necessary. My twins are b/g so they didnt' have any issues with being considered different.

We tried to get one on one time other ways. On weekends etc when DH could take one.

They were in the same class for the first year of school and by their own choice went into separate classes the next year.

#6 Rukia

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

Hi op,my id twins are 16months and go to daycare together, however when they are seperated they do get distressed. I would love to spend some one on one time with them too, but i think that will be more feasable when they are older ie special outings etc maybe on weekends whilst the other is a grandmas for a bit?

#7 Mariamsmum

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I was beginning to wonder whether I was doing my boys a disservice by not giving them individual days, but I do get a bit of one on one time on weekends etc.
I'm going to trust my instincts and keep them together, they rely on each other so much I am not happy to take away their support network.
Thanks again for the responses original.gif

#8 joshuakalan

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

Hi, whilst my twins did not go to daycare, they did attend preschool in 2011 and of the 3 days of attendance, they had one day on their own to give me more 1:1 time and to encourage one of my boys to be less dependent on his twin.

It was quite simply the best thing I could have done for all three of us.

#9 handsfull

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

My girls went to daycare on the same days as I worked but also gave me time to do things that were difficult even with 1 with me.  They would've missed each other terribly as they really are each other's best friend.  Also mine are identical and they do have a very strong bond.

They are finishing Grade 3 in two weeks and for the first time in Grade 4 they are going to be split.  DD2 wants her "space" but now she is so anxious about leaving DD1 to fend for herself.

You are not doing them a disservice as there will be plenty of time for that later on at school.  Its a personal choice and they are still so young, why not let them enjoy each other.

#10 domestically~challenged

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

Mine have always gone on the same days. Any seperation anxiety they ever had was being apart from each other so it's the right thing for them original.gif

#11 Sal78

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:50 AM

yup for sure..and I'm so glad. DD is very independent but ds2 likes to have her around. He has really benefitted so much, independent has his own friends etc it will help when they go to prep. they have been going separate days for about 2 yrs now. Next year is pre-school and due to limited availability they are going the same days. But I don't think there will be an issue when they get split up for prep. I have b.g twins so it also gave me a chance to spend 1 on 1 time with each i.e take my dd to watch a girly movie... DS is much more active and doesn't have the attention span for the cinemas yet...I take ds to swim lessons. dd prefers ballet to swimming.

#12 G+2

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Honestly, I need the break too much. I've kept one home from child care once when she was sick and we had a lovely day.

I do a one-on-one day with each once a month, they other spends the day with my mum, which they love original.gif

#13 saxa

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Sorry I don't have twins but a friend of mine faced a hat decision when her twins were going into year 1 at school.

One of her twins relied very heavily on the other for a lot of things and was quite behind the other as far as schooling was concerned.

She made the decision to separate then in year one and for her twins it was the best thing she could of done for their individual development of them both.

But obviously they are older than your twins so may not be the right thing to do just now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

After four decades in the industry, pest controller John Birkett couldn't believe what he found in one woman's bedroom.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.