City vs Country
Financial growth or lifestyle

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Andlig

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

Hi everyone,

DH & I have had a desire for a long time to move  to the hills. We recently moved back to Melbourne (Inner city) after  spending 2 years in a small coastal town for a work contract.

We have been  back in Melbourne for 5 months and I must say I find the traffic a  nightmare after living in a town without one traffic light! Aside from  that, it is nice to have the abundance of city-life options such as  cafes, restaurants, shops etc.

I would love to hear the pros & cons of hills/country/coastal living.

My list;

CONS - FIRE SEASON
         - HARSHER WINTERS - (Dandenong ranges area)
         - DISTANCE FOR DH WORK - Currently in the city, would take an hr on train.
         - PROPERTY GROWTH IN EQUITY?

PROS  - OPTION OF A BETTER HOME FOR LESS MONEY  -Currently renting but have    funds to purchase - Inner city is very expensive however! We could  possibly afford a reno's delight shoebox, or take on a nasty large  mortgage.
        - GREAT LIFESTYLE FOR YOUNG KIDS
        - NO TRAFFIC
        - MORE OF A COMMUNITY FEEL

WDYT is the best option? Go for lifestyle or go for future financial growth in property?
Thanks for any feedback

#2 MrsLexiK

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

We are on the outskirts. We choose lifestyle and the lifestyle we wanted our child to have. Yup it means at present it is 52km to work on the lovely murrodoch, easy link and monash (I bet the stupid pen link will open just as I go on mat leave) it also means that having us both go back to work after the baby would be hard both in petrol, tolls and hours spent just getting to and from work. i would never get back in time for pick up and some days DH wouldn't make it either. We would have to look at child care closer to one of our works which would be a pain if either was sick. The up side is our mortgage is much smaller so manageable on my DH's income. Also I can get our fruit and veg from actual farms (very cheap) so some of our living expenses are less as well.

I wouldn't have moved out this far if my plan was to stay in my current job for years.

#3 Domestic Goddess

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

All these really depend on where you would be looking to locate.

I mean, I live on the North Coast of NSW and winters are better here than Melbourne. No fire danger either.
Properties though, are very expensive. Our 70000 town is called the 5th most expensive city in the world to live in. Simply because the incomes are lower here, but house prices are in line with big city pricing right now.
So the prices are not insanely high, just the affordability is less because of the incomes being lower than in the city. IYKWIM

#4 Andlig

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll be sharing these with DH tomorrow. We both switch our minds all the time, hence why I'm asking for guidance. So thank you!

#5 ekbaby

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Country/Coastal living cons:

- harder to find work/possibly lower pay/less opportunities for promotion (there may be exceptions in some industries eg essential health workers etc- but the jobs are often in the "less attractive" rural areas)
- in many areas- less diversity that the cities, more racism/homophobia/discrimination, more conservative [big generalisations and it's not to say there aren't many many exceptions but voting patterns etc tend to support this... of course for some people who share those values this would be a plus!]
- less anonymity- the flip side is that it can be really nice feeling part of a community and knowing your neighbours. But some people find it stifling having everyone know their business.
- less access to things like museums, cultural events, festivals
- less variety of things for kids to pursue in terms of their interests/hobbies- if they are interested in a niche sport or subculture

Pros:
- more affordable housing
- more space
- more access to natural environment/bush/beaches
- less traffic (although if you are commuting to a city- probably more traffic & time spent travelling)
- simpler lifestyle
- ? maybe less w*n*ers?

#6 Charlies Angel

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

I've done both, and can see the value in country living especially for bringing up children. Your housing $$$ certainly goes a lot further!

How flexible are your careers? Would it be possible to transfer skills to an allied industry where you might get local employment?

The Dandenongs are lovely but also quite damp. Have you considered Lancefield direction, outside Geelong or Warragul? (Warragul has good schools and is a great size with excellent services).

#7 janie1105

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

We're thinking about doing the same thing: Dandenong Ranges (from QLD)

Will be watching this tread with interest!

For us, it's about living amonst all that nature.  We are over the burbs.

#8 Etcetera

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

I grew up in a small town. From my perspective, it's a nice place to grow up when little but once you hit about high school age, being closer to a big city would have been nice. Having access to museums, galleries, universities etc would have been invaluable.

My ideal would be an hour or two outside a major city - best of both worlds.

#9 tothebeach

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

The Dandenong ranges always seems so cold and damp and gloomy to me.  I couldn't live there.  However, an hour commute is realistic (our commute in Sydney is an hour and we live 14km from the CBD).

I also wonder why you think that the lifestyle would be better for your kids.  I'd more easily let my child walk/ride a bike to friends in the inner city/suburban melbourne than the windy blind corner, no pavement roads of the Dandenongs.

#10 Grobanite

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

We live in the country and love how quiet it is. We also love the small school and the fact that we got a big house for just over $100k. There is also a local hospital with a nurse on 24/7. We have also found it better financially for us.

The downside is the 1 1/2 hr drive to the nearest town to get groceries and anything else. However as a PP said being away from it more means you appreciate more. We have learnt to bulk buy and be more creative in our meal choices at the end of the month.
And unfortunately when the kids have to go to high school  it will be boarding school.

We will look at moving before my DS is 12.

#11 countrychic29

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

We moved from suburbia to the country ... well we are close to the Dandenongs but you access our town (of 500 ppl) off the freeway. - we are in foothills on Black Snake Ranges/Bunyip Forrest.

- In summer i LOVE it, space, fruit trees, vegie patch quiet neighborhood our animals love it and i cant wait to sit in the hammock b/w the gum trees with my new bub next year.

- It is a real community atmosphere, but you only have to be as involved as you want.

- The Dandenongs are beautiful, gardens, restaurants, shops (not sure about schools)

- The drive to work is only 15mins (45mins total)longer than previous house but is freeway all the way - so commute is easy

Cons

In winter it is difficult - it is colder probably minimum of 3 degrees than suburbs - dandenongs more like 5 degrees cooler
everything is wet and damp, your house needs to be big enough to have the clothes horse out all winter as your clothes will not really dry easily

Another thing to take into account with the dandenongs is the tourist traffic on the weekend, we have a few friends up there and it drives them crazy.

Commuting on the windy roads can be tiring - thats why we moved where we did rather than say Emerald or Gembrook as the distance is the same but the time taken to drive it was 15mins longer again.

Bushfire risk is very real in VIC anywhere outside of the metro area, you need to be prepared and have everything in place.
For instance DH & I decided that any days extreme or above (code red) fire danger we will both take our pets to work (we are lucky to be able to do this) the morning of so at least we are not worrying all day. Our place is old and weatherboard though so we wouldnt bother.
it is scary though.

I hope i havent sounded too negative ... despite the cons i would still choose where we are now time and time again. original.gif

#12 emmafg

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Coincidentally we went through something similar 3-4 years ago.  We came back from London yearning for more space, and a generally safer place to bring up our kids.  We looked at the Hills and around Woodend/Mount Macedon for many, many months but eventually  made the decision to move to an outer north eastern suburb.

We decided against Dandenong's etc for a few reasons, namely the schools are not great (particularly high schools - and limited choice), very limited public transport (not great when the kids are teenagers), limited services etc.  The housing stock available also wasn't what we were after and building is very difficult.

We are happy with our compromise - we still have space (1/2 acre as opposed to the 3-5 we were looking at), it is a lovely treed environment, great variety of schools and other activities, good neighbours etc.  Our commute by train is still a hour or so, but this is not an issue for us.  We are also just around the corner from vineyards, forests etc.

Goodluck with your decision.

#13 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (emmafg @ 28/11/2012, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
very limited public transport (not great when the kids are teenagers)

This can be a big issue when your kids are older.  My SIL lives on acreage - it's great.  When the kids were younger (to about 12/13), it was very easy living & they all loved it.  But once the kids got older (teenagers), it has been much more difficult for the kids to be involved in some of the activities they were keen on (evening/night activities).  And having a part-time job outside of school has not been possible because they simply can't reliably get anywhere using the very limited public transport.  They are trying to sell their place now to move a little closer to a town.

#14 RedBob

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

What Yoda describes is exactly what happened to my cousin and his kids - countryside was great for them when the kids were young, but he felt like he was spending his life driving the kids around once they were teens.

#15 *LucyE*

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

We live on the outskirts of a regional town. When we first moved here, I wanted DH to commit to a medium term plan of moving back to the city by the time the kids were in high school. I've recently realized that I don't want to move back to the city.

Our town is just large enough for us to be to be somewhat anonymous. Instead of the suburban houses in town, we have acreage on the outskirts so we get the space to garden/make noise/keep a menagerie to our hearts content. It's probably only 10mins from one side of town to the other and the locals think we live 'so far out', but it's only an extra 5mins to our drive. That's nothing by city standards.

We have access to good schools and extra curricula activities. We have national standard sports coaches here too. It's not that far to the city and day trips are very do-able.

I think finding the right location to suit your needs is more important than a vague pro and con list. For example, there are houses in our town that's cheaper than the city but I want the expensive ones because I'm creating my own cocooned, hermit world as a trade off for being regional. If I were in the city, I'd happily live in a smaller place to be in the thick of the action.

#16 BearBait

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

Have you looked at Woodend or Kyneton recently? Train in is 1 hour so no big deal but effectively country town living. Housing affordability still good.

#17 Andlig

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Thank you for all the replies. Food for thought and much appreciated. I have read over all comments twice over.

We had considered Macedon way, however we would prefer to be closer to the Eastern suburbs as my parents live there and DH can possibly find work in the Eastern Suburbs as opposed to the city, if he chooses. Also, we have a family holiday house in Inverloch, so we would be closer to that side of the coast.

The desire for the Dandenongs stems from a long love for the area. Dh & I use to often spend weekends away together there. Also, I have a dream to run my own guest house/BB one day. I love the idea of the kids having more space to play outside and experience free range chooks, and other animals.

I am concerned with the option of schools. Of course the fire season is a worry. The winters I think we can handle after spending two years in wet Gippsland! although the darkness which some people mention of the hills may be an issue?

The houses we have seen are just what we desire in terms of character and space. We aren't looking at a cheap home, but rather the dream home which we couldn't afford in inner Melbourne.

We have an investment property in the northern Suburbs of Melbourne (our first home we left when we transferred to Gippsland for work) which we will need to sell to afford what we want. It would be nice if we could keep that and purchase in the hills and have a foot in Melbourne for future financial growth. Not possible though I think.

Any other thoughts would be great! I'm swaying to move out of town and run for the hills!

#18 libbylu

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (Andlig @ 27/11/2012, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My list;

CONS - FIRE SEASON
         - HARSHER WINTERS - (Dandenong ranges area)
         - DISTANCE FOR DH WORK - Currently in the city, would take an hr on train.
         - PROPERTY GROWTH IN EQUITY?

PROS  - OPTION OF A BETTER HOME FOR LESS MONEY  -Currently renting but have    funds to purchase - Inner city is very expensive however! We could  possibly afford a reno's delight shoebox, or take on a nasty large  mortgage.
        - GREAT LIFESTYLE FOR YOUNG KIDS
        - NO TRAFFIC
        - MORE OF A COMMUNITY FEEL

How far do you have to commute to work though? And if you are not currently working, what work opportunities are there for you down the track in rural areas? What if you want to do further study?
We would love to move to the country, but I am really only employable by universities and research institutes which tend to be in major cities, and DH has a business in the inner suburbs.  While it might be feasible for one person to commute, it makes no sense for two to do so - and I hate commuting so I wouldn't do it.
It would mean having the kids in care for longer due to longer working days so many of the lifestyle benefits would be lost.
We did toy with the idea of doing it for a year or two while new baby is small and my work would be very part time, but we wouldn't sell up in the city as we would likely never be able to buy back in....house prices increase in value for more quickly close to the city as a general rule.
If you are a stay at home mum, why don't you pick a location in the inner suburbs where you don't have to drive much. i.e. within walking distance of local shops, kinder, school etc.

Edited by libbylu, 28 November 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#19 Andlig

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Thanks libbylu

I would not be commuting for work, I work from home - own business - internet based mainly in graphic design. My main focus is to be able to be home with the kids. But who is to say I may want to work outside of home and in an office amongst adults in the future; that could be a concern for options available?

DH will need to commute. Most of his work options are city based or Eastern suburbs. He could be as close as 1/2 drive to Eastern suburbs or 1 hr train to city.

#20 Domestic Goddess

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

I think there's a difference between the country and the country.

There is rural and there's regional. We live regional, yet still only 200m away from the beach and 50km away from the mountains and rainforests. The town has 70000 all up divided over the CBD and a bunch of smaller suburbs.
It's so beautiful and peaceful here. The best place to raise my son for sure. (Mind you, having lived in the Netherlands for 20 years, even Sydney seems to be more roomy still lol.)

But yeah, we still have plenty of buses going everywhere, we have an international marina, an airport with connections to major cities like Sydney, Melbourne, etc. A big highway going straight through town as well.
A big hospital, a university, a few private schools and about 15 public primary and 15 public highschools.
We have plenty of events and exhibitions too. It's a tourist town, so it has to have entertainment or it will die out.
Yet it does not breathe a city atmosphere because of the space It's got everything the big city has, but in a smaller setup.

So I think maybe being a bit more specific about what you're looking for can help. Are you thinking rural or regional. huge difference between the 2 original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.