remembering things for/at school kindy-2
who's responsibility?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 imamumto3

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

WDYT?  in the first few years of school  who is responsible, child or parent,  for remembering to bring things to school, such as school hat or library bag?

also, when at school, who is responsible for remembering/reminding to take or use things they made need, such as their pencil case or glasses when going to other classrooms or doing work in the class, child or teacher?

Edited by imamumto3, 27 November 2012 - 07:51 PM.

#2 bakesgirls

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

The child. With a little help from the parents if they are still new to being at school.

The teacher should remind the whole class to make sure they have all their belongings with them. I don't think it should be on the teachers shoulders to check every individual child has everything and to chase up them up on it.

#3 luke's mummu

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Kindy I reminded him about EVERYTHING. Now in year 1 he gets 1 reminder. A few times he has forgotten his library bag and been upset. Now he is a little better at putting it in his bag as soon as I remind him

I find teachers do minimal reminding re hats etc. I guess with 22 kids they can't continuously remind him.

Edited by luke's mummu, 27 November 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#4 Expelliarmus

It's a gradual transition of responsibility.

#5 Ianthe

The child. It's amazing how capable they can be even in those early weeks of school.

#6 Frazzled Cat

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

Beginning of kindy - "Go and get your ......... and let's put it in your bag".  --Parental responsibility with instructions to child.

End of kindy -  "Let's check you've got your......... ready!"  --Child responsibility with follow-up by parent.

By end of grade 1  "Make sure you've got your homework folder and your hat!"  --  Child responsibility, parental reminder.

End of grade 2 - "Got everything?  Let's go."  --Fully child responsibility with a trigger reminder.

#7 cinderellainsydney

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Child

Take it easy - it will come. There will be many lost pencils, hats etc. I guess
you just have to let them experience it. That's why write in name on everything.

When items are lost - there must be consequences, so there is an incentive not to loose things. Lost uniform item for us = no weekly day out due to item replacement cost. Caught on pretty quickly so big progress there.

Also librarians will normally show they are cross about a late book, and will suspend borrowing until its returned or something like that. Teachers will remind the whole class about something eg music lesson, take instrument; sport lesson change into sports uniform or swimming lesson take swim bag etc. Kids will also help each other out.

#8 Julie3Girls

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

The child. With a varying amount of reminders/support from both parent and teacher.

At home ...
Start of kinder - pack bag together, check for the important items
Now at end of kinder - she packs her own bag, sometimes with a run though by me as we get in the car ("got your reader? your hat? your lunch?")
My DDs in yr 3 and 5 usually get "Got everything for today?". Just enough to make them stop and think, run through things mentally. Can't imagine that stopping, as even as an adult, it doesn't hurt to have a reminder original.gif

We also have a white board on the fridge (good height for the kids), with the days of the week and what we have on. As they are getting ready for the day, I'll often check "Is everyone ready for school?" and suggest checking the whiteboard. It has listed on there homework day, library day, band day etc, so they know the extras they have to bring. And they use it.

The school ...
Kinder classroom in the morning - all the kids sitting on the floor, the teacher asks "Has everyone put their home reader in the pile? Any lunch orders still in bags? Any notes for me? E, do you have your glasses today?

There will also be general reminders to the class "hats in bag please people" Intermingled with the reminders to some individual kids.

Because kids are individuals, some are better are remembering things than others, some need a bit more prompting.

Oh, and the school definitely takes the attitude that it is the kids responsibility.
Child in the playground without a hat
T: Where's your hat X?
C: Mum forgot to pack it
T: Really? WHO forgot to pack it?

Edited by Julie3Girls, 27 November 2012 - 08:24 PM.

#9 imamumto3

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

I think child too.  My DS knows the morning routine & knows what to take each day.

I was interested after watching & listening to other parents at pick up yesterday.

Mother 1:  DS has left his lunchbox behind again, why doesnt teacher make sure that the kids have their lunch boxes when the come back from lunch.

mother 2:  apologised to her DD because she (mother) forgot it was library day so didnt pack library bag & child didnt get to borrow a book.

mother 3: was annoyed with the teacher as her child was not reminded to use his glasses during class and therefore a whole day of work (while doing assessments) had been a waste of time.

& in the morning, teacher told child he would have to play in the shade as he had forgotten his hat, child got upset & said mummy forgot to pack it and teacher explained sternly that he should have remembered as it is his responsibility.  The mothers that I were talking to thought it was rough on the child, as he is only in year 1 and how is he meant to remember everything.

#10 cas8cas

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

I remind my kids ( ds1 is in yr 5 ds 2 is in pre primary)

If they forget their stuff its their problem

#11 cward

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

My DD's are in Year 4 and Kindy (FYOS)

Year 4 - have you got everything.  Their problem if they forget, especially as I work 4 days so no way can I bring it up to school.  I do remind about lunch though.  Mind you she goes early on fridays for band practice.  When I dropped DD2 up the other day she came running up to inform me she had forgotten her homework.  As it was my day home I did go back and get it for her but usually her problem to sort out with teacher

Kindy - like everyone else help at beginning of year.  Now I usually say the night before "it's homework/library/reader day tomorrow put it in your bag now.  Sheis pretty good though, better than DD1.  I woke up this morning to her dressed and having made her own lunch.  She wouldn't let me check it but said she had made a cucumber sandwich (she cut the cucumber with the butter knife so that should be interesting), watermelon, container of peaches and some seaweed biscuits.

#12 Julie3Girls

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

mother 3: was annoyed with the teacher as her child was not reminded to use his glasses during class and therefore a whole day of work (while doing assessments) had been a waste of time.

Depending on the age, I can actually see the mother's point on THIS one - other stuff like forgetting library books, or hat, there are small consequences, but nothing major, and it won't hurt them. Good for the kids to learn responsibility.

How old was the child, how long had he been wearing glasses?  Kids who only need their glasses for close up work - they DO forget, and I think it IS important for them to be reminded.
There usually aren't too many kids with glasses in the class, and I would have thought the teacher would have noticed at some point during the day that the child wasn't wearing his glasses. Not hard to simply say "X, do you have your glasses?" . Not only would not wearing them have affected his assessments, but constantly not wearing them means his eyes are straining, possibly causing more damage to his eyesight.

I know when my DD2 started wearing her glasses in yr 1, I spoke to the teacher, explained when she was meant to be wearing them, and the teacher volunteered to keep an eye on it for a bit, while she was adjusting to them.

#13 Milly Molly Mandy

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

In kindy my DS1 was great, he hardly needed to be reminded of anything. Knew that Monday's and Wednesday's he caught the bus to DS2s preschool, went to a friends place Thursdays etc. I never had to remind him he just knew. Handed notes in after being asked once, knew which day was library day and so on.

Now however he is in year 3 and he would forget his friggen head if it wasnt screwed on. There was a note in his bag all week last week that I kept reminding him of. I have to check his bag every day. Left for school without his lunch the other day despite the fact that for the last 4 years it has been his job to put his lunchbox in his bag. Sigh

He is really smart kid which makes it more frustrating. I think this is part of the problem though, he is a such a little sponge with school work everything else gets missed.

Eta he got home from oztag yesterday (another mum took him) and realised he had left his jumper behind. This jumper is really special to him. He got it when he got to the regional athletics carnival and it was hideously expensive. I think this is going to be a great lesson cause I just don't care and am not going to chase it up.

Edited by Milly Molly Mandy, 28 November 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#14 imamumto3

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (Julie3Girls @ 28/11/2012, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depending on the age, I can actually see the mother's point on THIS one - other stuff like forgetting library books, or hat, there are small consequences, but nothing major, and it won't hurt them. Good for the kids to learn responsibility.

How old was the child, how long had he been wearing glasses?  Kids who only need their glasses for close up work - they DO forget, and I think it IS important for them to be reminded.
There usually aren't too many kids with glasses in the class, and I would have thought the teacher would have noticed at some point during the day that the child wasn't wearing his glasses. Not hard to simply say "X, do you have your glasses?" . Not only would not wearing them have affected his assessments, but constantly not wearing them means his eyes are straining, possibly causing more damage to his eyesight.

I know when my DD2 started wearing her glasses in yr 1, I spoke to the teacher, explained when she was meant to be wearing them, and the teacher volunteered to keep an eye on it for a bit, while she was adjusting to them.

Year 1 child, so 6 or 7.  He has only had them for a few weeks & for close up work.  There are a couple of kids in the class who wear glasses full time.

#15 Kay1

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

My son is in Year 1 and I am teaching him to be responsible for these things but he still needs a lot of 'scaffolding'. He has a roster on the fridge that shows what he has on each day and he has to check it to make sure he has what he needs. He also has a laminated list on his bag of what he should bring home. He doesn't really use that any more. He is the worlds' most forgetful child though. If he forgets his hat I will sometimes go home and get it (if I have time) so that he can play outside. Mostly I just tell him that he will have to stay in the shade. His problem. Homework and readers he often forgets. There doesn't seem to be any consequence at school so he doesn't really care.  I do try and make sure he has them on the right day, otherwise I feel it reflects poorly on me tbh.

I would never blame the teacher for him leaving stuff at school, but I was very cranky when the sport teacher let him play a whole period of sport in the scorching sun with no hat on. His hat was on his hook outside the classroom, he just forgot to put it on and didn't notice it was missing. The teacher should have though.

I think at school the teacher has to remind him a lot to put away/take his belongings. She stands and watches the kids packing their bags in the afternoon and DS has his hook closest to the door because this is a problem area for him. So he is expected to do it, but with help from his teacher and me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.