Tell me I am being silly, bit rattled over tradesman visit
*Kidnap mentioned

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 2littledarlings

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

Good evening EB

I have been stewing over this all afternoon and just not feeling right. I have gone to tell my husband twice but it just seems so silly to even put into words.  This is what happened....

DS 5 yrs, DD 4 yrs and I had only been home about 10 mins and there was a knock at the door from a plasterer.  We had some plumbing work done last week and he said he was just calling by to set up a time to do the plaster repairs because he was not given my number. That's all fine, he asked to come in and have a quick look at what he was doing, fine too I would expect that. It is the downstairs guest bedroom that needs the work, so I showed him in, the kids were watching a movie in the downstairs living room and came to see who was here.  

He just stared at them, I even feels silly writing that but he did not just glance at them, say hi and look back at the ceiling, he really really stared at them. Then he commented to my DD how gorgeous she was and said to me she will be quite the heartbreaker.  Then he asked her if this was her room, I said it was the spare room and by then kids had gone back to their movie.  Whole thing lasted less than 5 mins.

Tell me I am overreacting? I just can't stop thinking about  Elizabeth Smart who ended up being taken by someone who had done some work on the house.  I think I am just a bit rattled by the 2 Melbourne girls being murdered and reading too much into things.... Right?

It was a harmless exchange wasn't it? I just can't imagine my Dh saying a 4 year old will be quite the heart breaker... And what's with asking if it's her room?

ARGHHHH!

#2 Mummy Em

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

I don't know, it doesn't sound like much from what you described, but I think if your gut is telling you so strongly that something is up, it might be worth checking your security and finding another tradesman.

#3 Sunshineandsmiles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

trust your instinct!

#4 SaintJoe

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Don't stress OP. I wouldn't read too much into it. It is something my elderly father would say (meant as a massive compliment)

Most likely scenario is your DD is striking.

#5 CupOfCoffee

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Never think that niggling feeling is silly.  It might not ultimately be right, but it isn't silly (and is important to listen to).  

I would also look for another tradesman like Mummy Em said.

#6 katniss

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

I guess the heartbreaker comment is a bit weird. I probably wouldn't have been suspicious of it tho. I've had Coles delivery staff having a chat to my boys while they are hanging around as we unloaded the shopping.  shrug.gif I don't know. You do have to trust your gut tho.

#7 ♥~Bodhichitta~♥

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (CupOfCoffee @ 27/11/2012, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Never think that niggling feeling is silly.  It might not ultimately be right, but it isn't silly (and is important to listen to).

Agree with this.

#8 autumn sun

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

Did you get his name? Can you check with the plumbing company that he is the plaster they sent? It's a bit odd that they didn't give him your number to call - or you his number to call.

#9 lizzzard

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (CupOfCoffee @ 27/11/2012, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would also look for another tradesman like Mummy Em said.

Yep - I don't think people listen to their instinct enough. I'd be looking for another tradesman as well.

#10 Pretz

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

Hmm. Definitely weird.
If your instincts tell that something is off, I'd get another tradesman and be extra vigilent about security.

#11 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Instincts are there for a reason.

No one questions being able to catch a ball without doing all the complicated equations to work out its trajectory.  I think instincts are the same - your subconscious is adding up all sorts of bits of information about body language and tone of voice and life experience to come to a conclusion.

#12 Lottie*

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:05 PM

Run with those warning bell instincts.  Why else would you feel like that unless something is 'off'.  I would ask for another tradesman and keep DD close by.   I might also talk to the plumber and say that the plaster said something inappropriate so he is on notice.    If it is just paranoia then at worst you may have offended someone and they think you are neurotic! I would rather than than any alternative.

its the freaky comment about the room! Why on earth would be want to know that?

#13 2littledarlings

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

thanks for replies so far. I feel awful thinking those thoughts about him, when more than likely it was just his manner BUT he did look at them weirdly, I felt it on the spot as being weird and that was before the other comments.

Autum Sun- yes got his name and number, and he was driving in a ute with business name on it.  I called our builder and just told him I would like to be called first, but it was all legit

#14 Oriental lily

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Hard to say op.

My DH loves children in a very none weird way. So he might pay a bit more attention to them than a average person.
Like he might have a chat on what movie they are watching. Try and have a friendly chat.

However he would never say a child was a heartbreaker to a mother he just met.
It's not polie or appropriate to ever comment on a persons looks after you just met them. Adult or child.

But no doubt a man can be aware that a child is particularly gorgeous without it being sinister or perverted.
Just not polite to say it.

None of us were though. So it's hard to judge.

Might be suss but likely not.

I think we all can get paranoid when it comes to children's safety.

#15 Jenferal

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

I'd rather be paranoid then too trusting when it comes to my child's safety!

#16 Escapin

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

Just get a new tradie. No skin of your nose. Especially as you can just ring your builder, no need to talk to the guy who came to your place at all.

Instincts are there for a reason, and no, you don't have to give an explanation to the builder.

#17 Studybug

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

Best to just follow your instincts and get someone else that you feel comfortable with to do the work.  It's not like you have to give the guy a reason for choosing to go with someone else.  

One of my nieces, as a little girl, would get comments about how beautiful she was all the time.  Both men and women would say it in various ways, but there were some men whose reactions made us as her family uncomfortable.  Randoms offering to buy her things, wanting to cuddle her, asking her if she wanted to sit on their laps, etc.  I'm assuming the majority of these were innocent enough and it was a case of adults going gaga over a beautiful child but there were many times it felt wrong.

I am by no means an alarmist, but the way I see it is better to never know if you were wrong then to find out you were right in these cases.

#18 fun_fairz

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

I have actually heard people say something similar many times and would not find it inappropriate at all. Maybe because it is something I have heard frequently regarding my oldest son.

However, if you felt the scenario was inappropriate or you felt uncomfortable then I would suggest you look for a different plasterer.

#19 BetteBoop

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (2littledarlings @ 27/11/2012, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He just stared at them, I even feels silly writing that but he did not just glance at them, say hi and look back at the ceiling, he really really stared at them.

I think that would be enough for me.

As PPs have said, trust your instincts.

#20 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

Based on what you said I would say he was tying to be friendly, and probably genuinely thought your daughter is a good looking kid...we had a plumber round the other day and he was quite taken with my baby, told me his eyes would "win hearts..." Etc....I didn't think anything of it.... shrug.gif

#21 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

The heart breaker comment wouldn't bother me but the asking which room is hers is weird. Go with your gut OP.

#22 2littledarlings

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Ok so will call our builder and get a new plastered, be awkward but oh well!

Really the chances of him breaking into our house and trying to kidnapp our daughter is so unlikely it is not worth worrying about right? Too much CSI for me I think!

Dog is sleeping on DDs bed and she thinks it's Christmas original.gif

Thanks for making me feel better and less of a paranoid weirdo x

Edited by 2littledarlings, 27 November 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#23 melaine

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Without being there it's so hard to say.

Perhaps he was just making conversation or being friendly. I can imagine my DH saying "is this your room?" As a bit of chatter with a little kid. But, I can see how it sounds suspicious - especially if you already felt weird.

My little boy has really big, blue eyes and a dimple. We had a tradie come to measure something up and he stopped his quote a few times to tell me how cute he was, that we should enter him in competitions etc. I didn't think anything of it though, because he got similar comments quite often from checkout people etc.

I think if your instincts are telling you to worry, then follow them. I think it's highly unlikely to be anything worry about - but there's no harm in following them.

#24 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

It seems harmless to me. My DH loves kids and has commented to me when he notices a gorgeous child. He has said he tries not to look at children as he fears being judged a paedophile.

Most likely your child is striking, but if your gut is telling you something else listen to your gut.

#25 hicoco

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

Check out my thread - http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/lof...20/t997013.html

I am still wondering whether I was over-reacting or not, and that was months ago. We never got the work done - issue seems to have resolved itself thankfully - but I don't know if I would have had the guts to call on this tradesman again.

Go with your gut.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.