how do you handle teething bub?
is panadol the only way?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 misse10

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

i'm assuming my 6 1/2 mo is teething. his usually sunny disposition has suddenly gone and he just seems miserable. He's waking up after 30 minutes in his day sleeps and has a slight temp of 37.5-ish. it's day 2 now and he's either got a bug (with no other symptoms) or its teething.

i'd rather not drug him up if i can avoid it. otherwise wouldn't you be pumping them full of panadol for the next 6 months??

is there anything else i can do for bubba, or is panadol not that big of a deal? i can handle the whingy bubba (have had plenty worse when he was younger!!) but i don't want him to be in pain.

ideas?

#2 CharliMarley

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Some babies are really miserable and their mouth hurts, so what is wrong with some baby panadol to make them feel better. Biting on cold things helps too. I believe in giving pain killers, rather than letting them feel pain all the time and baby panadol is very safe.

#3 ubermum

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Nurofen was the only thing that worked for us. Then I tried a teething necklace to prove to someone that they were bulls**t and it worked. You will get a bunch of other replies bagging them. I am a bit annoyed it did work. Glad for my kid, but scientifically it can't work and it annoys me that something I don't really believe in seems to have some effect. We noticed a difference every time we took it off.

#4 ~ppp~

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (misse10 @ 27/11/2012, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm assuming my 6 1/2 mo is teething.

Please don't assume this. In my experience this can be the start of ear infections, sore throats, viral rashes etc etc but never has it been teeth. If you can't see teeth coming through then maybe get him checked to see if he has a red throat and his ears are okay. Never once have my kids cracked any symptoms associated with teething apart from being a bit chewy/bitey.
Id be getting him checked over at the GP if it didn't settle

#5 Agnodice the Feral

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Panadol is not a big deal. Seriously. Unless you massive OD on it. Or unlessyou have pre existing liver problems. That's why it's safe for four week old babies. It's safe to use at four doses a day for years on end.

Go speak to you MCHN or GP if you are really concerned, but personally I think the idea of avoiding 'drugging up' your baby is letting a personal bias get in the way of your child's comfort. Personally, I give panadol at the vaguest hint of teething. Because their teeth shift around in their jaws even when they are not actively erupting, which is also uncomfortable.

Other things you can do include teethers in the fridge (not freezer, you want them cold and soft, not rock hard which bruises their gums and makes them more sore), bonjela (but not immediately before food as it numbs their tongue as well), and lots of distraction.

And panadol. And if you see a big red swollen angry looking bump just before the tooth erupts (more for molars, or multiple teeth) then baby nurofen as well. Yep. Both together, they act by different pathways so its safe to give both at once.

Please don't deny a baby pain relief when it's so readily available.

#6 Feral_Pooks

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

Bonjela before a nap. DS wears an amber teething anklet, can't hurt to try. Rusks and teething toys help, although he seems to like to chew on a damp cloth better than any other teether.

I don't really 'get' the not giving painkillers thing... at least it would help you rule out whether it is pain causing the problems? If they are in pain- Pain relief helps. That's just my opinion. I can't stand to see my bubba suffering so I do dose him up. Baby nurofen on a full tummy. It's not that long term, really, the teeth issues come and go.

#7 niggles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Badly. I sit in the corner and rock back and forwards. It's dismal around here.

We tend to give painkillers at bedtime if he's obviously uncomfortable or at first waking if he's drooling and/or not resettling quickly. Sometimes this has meant painkillers every evening for a couple of weeks.

#8 MAGS24

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

My 12 month old has been teething constantly since he was around five months old. He now has 12 teeth.

We use Bonjella or Sedagel on his gums before he has a meal or bottle. And often just before he goes to bed at night.

At night, if he goes to sleep easily at the beginning, we don't give him Panadol or Nurofen till he wakes up at around 11 pm or midnight onward. That way he only needs one dose of pain killer during the night. If he is in a lot of discomfort and won't sleep, then we give Panadol when he first goes to bed, then Nurofen when he wakes up in pain at around midnight and can even give another dose of Panadol in the morning if necessary. Panadol and Nurofen are safe to use together. I only use pain killers when they are needed and always try to limit the number of doses to as few as possible because it is easy to overdose.

Edited by MAGS24, 27 November 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#9 Bunsen the feral

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

Nurofen always worked better for my boys for teething.

Sometimes 4 teeth will pop through together, sometimes one will appear with no fuss whatsoever so you won't be needing to dose them up for months on end. If baby is in pain give them something for it.

#10 Cranky Kitten

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

By hook or crook do whatever works. Try an amber necklace/anklet, if it works count yourself lucky and rejoice, if not move onto something else.

During the day in the early stages of them just moving around we seem to manage okay with chewing on a face washer soaked in cold water or wrapped around an iceblock, chewing on slices of apple straight from the fridge or other such things. Distraction and keeping busy also help a bit. Night time he may require a dose of paracetamol (in our house it's Dymadon as apparently it tastes better than Panadol) or ibuprofen if I can see the bump starting. This stage for us lasts a couple of weeks.

Usually by the time I can see the tooth under the gum we're in teething purgatory. This involves low grade fever for 2-3 days, extreme clingyness and irritability, massive dribble rash all over his face and nappy rash as well. DS is a terrible teether to be honest and most of the time coping is a combination of alternating painkillers, using teething gels and lots of cuddles. There's still loads of tears from both of us as I sit holding him and watch him whimpering in his sleep even after the painkillers sad.gif

All of the above magically dissipates as soon as the tooth breaks through - so yes, teething can sometimes be pretty horrible. Though if there are other signs of illness of course get it checked out.

#11 mandala

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

I also give Panadol/Nurofen. I will give Panadol during the day, and a dose of Nurofen after his evening breastfeed for the night.

There might be a few days in a row where he'll have a dose or two of Panadol during the day and one of Nurofen at night, but then he'll have a week or more without teething.

The difference it makes to his behaviour is amazing. He goes from miserable to his normal, happy self. I am comfortable with the risk for the benefit he gets. I don't want him in pain.

#12 Alpha_Chook

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

Panadol and Nurofen.....when Eamon was getting most of his teeth they still had those Hylands dissolve in the mouth tablets which worked a treat. The eye teeth were probably the worst giving him diarrhoea and bad nappy rash for a week with all 4 coming through at once

#13 Babetty

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Some teeth for us popped through with very little pain, other teeth needed panadol, others needed panadol and nurofen.

Teething gels didn't really work for us, but give them a try.

Panadol (or Dymadon, better flavour) worked like magic on our boy. And it took exactly 30 minutes to kick in each and every time - I could time it!

If I have a headache I take panadol, so why would I leave my baby to suffer when there is something safe and effective I can give him?

#14 Contrebasse

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

DD likes to chew on a celery stick, cold from the fridge.

I have also given her some panadol at night when she was really unhappy, and I was pretty sure it really was just a tooth coming through (i.e. could see it almost poking out of the gum).

#15 GoodGollyMolly

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

I'm not sure where you are OP but if you're in SA the women's and children's hospital makes the best teething gel. You can also buy it at any local compounding pharmacy (they make it up fresh). It actually has lignocaine in it so it's a proper anaesthetic gel unlike things like Bonjela. Might be worth a try of you can find it- gives pain relief locally where needed without giving a systemic painkiller (although giving Panadol and this gel works an absolute treat for DS).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Video: Toddler not keen on clean-shaven dad

This little girl thought she was taking part in a standard game of peek-a-boo, but her dad had a surprise for her.

When will I feel like myself again?

At some point I became 'me' again, but not the same me that I was ... and that?s not a bad thing.

Our Watch: ending the national emergency of domestic violence

An ambitious new national initiative aims to address the "national emergency" of domestic violence across Australia.

Decrease in stillbirths in late pregnancy and older mums

There has been a fall in the number of stillbirths among some groups of women despite the overall rate remaining stable, a new report reveals.

My baby was permanently injured during birth

My baby was a few months old when we first heard the term ?brachial plexus birth injury? and the heart wrenching news that he may never gain full function of his arm.

Being a yo-yo mama is the rhythm of motherhood

A flip-flop happy-sad can occur in the same minute, the same second. And it continues forever, throughout a yo-yo mama's tenure, beginning with pregnancy.

Is it okay to ask for money instead of gifts?

First it was weddings. Then it was engagement parties. Now it seems christenings are following the trend of asking guests for money in lieu of gifts.

Crash testing new parenthood

The new documentary series Crash Test Mummies & Daddies takes a fly-on-the-wall look at the first months of life with a newborn.

Itching for a solution to eczema

Around 30 per cent of children live with eczema every day. A dad shares his son's story and gets advice from an expert.

Video: The challenges and joys of making new mum friends

This hilarious video shows how making new mum friends can be awkward - but reassures that it is possible.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

'I wanted a heart over the i'

After naming her other daughter Princess Tiaamii, glamour model Katie Price needed a special name for her new baby.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.