,kbkb
jjbk

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_- Poppy -_*

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Edited by 3Bella3, 15 December 2012 - 09:21 AM.

#2 credence

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

I'm in the camp where I think it's just easier to split it evenly.

However, if you want to be pedantic, the only fair way to do it would be for everybody to record the price of everything they personally consumed (such as in their phone or on a bit of paper) then add it up and make sure they pay that exact amount.

To be honest though, that doesn't sound like much fun and inevitably I don't think it's foolproof either.

Just make sure that you personally bring lots of small notes and coins, pay your exact amount and wipe your hands of everyone else's woes.

#3 woodelf

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

Just make sure that you personally bring lots of small notes and coins, pay your exact amount and wipe your hands of everyone else's woes.
THIS

#4 Cat People

Spilt evenly.

#5 Charlies Angel

We're grownups. We just split it evenly - or even throw in a bit more if we felt that we had the extra glass of wine.

Swings, roundabouts...

Alternatively, if this is a problem for friends who eat less/ are on tighter budgets, then choose venues where you order at the bar. That way everyone covers their own costs.

If we are planning a big night out with the girls, we throw in the same amount to 'kitty' and just pay from that, rather than scrambling for the right change all of the time. It also means that one person doesn't get stuck 'shouting' the $80 round of cocktails.

I hate $$ hassles ruining a good night.

#6 Guest_Maybelle_*

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

We always split it evenly.  And tip.  I am really glad (and lucky!) that my friends and I are all on the same page on this.  I hate going out to dinner and then ending the night with people calculating what they owe down to the last 5c.  Mind you, we generally go places that are not too expensive, and we ofter share dishes, so there wouldn't be much difference either way.

The only exception might be if we go somewhere that isn't BYO and someone drinks a lot, or drinks expensive drinks...I am a cocktail drinker and I don't think my friends should have to pay for my martinis when they are drinking beer  original.gif

#7 KylieY

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

We always split evenly. Everyone is in agreeance, so no stress.

#8 katpaws

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

sit at a separate table....

maybe get people to pay as they order

Splitting is fine most times, but definately not fair if you haven't had alcoholic drinks or seafood for example. I've been to functions where the shared bill have cost us heaps, soemtimes three times for the cost of the food and drink we have had.

You know who your real friends are when it comes to shared bills....

Edited by katpaws, 27 November 2012 - 01:38 PM.

#9 GoodGollyMolly

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

I think restaurants should just let you split bills. It drives me nuts that they dont. Every place I went to in the UK would let you do this, te waitress would brig a little eftpos machine out and do a quick round of the table it would take a few minutes and done. This wasn't fancy restaurants either, cheaper places (like a fasta pasta type place) would do it too.

Its part of good service I think, do people for have that awkward bill split to work out at the end of a meal which is not the best way to end a meal I think.

#10 missfrizzle

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

I make sure I always have smaller notes and coins so I know I can pay close enough to the exact amount. If I have had roughly the same as everyone eles, I don't mind splitting the bill and don't mind if I have to throw in an extra few dollars. But being a non wine drinker, I do not wish to be forking out for a couple of $100 bottles if wine, when I have had 2 beers.

#11 melaine

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (credence @ 27/11/2012, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in the camp where I think it's just easier to split it evenly.

It is easier, of course.

But I'd prefer friends to come along and order cheap options rather than skip a dinner all together because they were worried about splitting a more expensive bill.

If I've had a few glasses of wine and 3 courses I don't expect someone who ordered a main meal and a soft drink to subsidise my choices.

#12 ~~HappyMummy~~

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (Charlies Angel @ 27/11/2012, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're grownups. We just split it evenly - or even throw in a bit more if we felt that we had the extra glass of wine.

Swings, roundabouts...

Alternatively, if this is a problem for friends who eat less/ are on tighter budgets, then choose venues where you order at the bar. That way everyone covers their own costs.

+ 1.

#13 JustBeige

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

Dh's uncle is a split down to the last cent person.  We (us, ILs and SIL and BIL) let him work out how much he owes then we just split the rest evenly between us.  He is a PITA and his wife and kids get really embarrassed and often walk away and leave him sitting at the table trying to find the correct change.   We always make sure we tip our waitperson (if they earnt it) separately, as he also doesnt believe in tipping.

This is what we do now if we have to dine with him.  MIL stamps her foot and ensures they go to a club or similar so its not a big fat hassle.

The only other thing we used to do when we went with groups of people is decide before hand if we are just splitting or paying for individuals.     or both and those who want to just pay their share, must keep a tally or they have to split.

I think though if you are upfront about it, its harder to complain and cause a fuss when the bill comes.

#14 Justaduck

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

We look at the menu before we go & decide what we want. Then make sure we take the exact amount or up to the nearest $5 and throw it in. We don't have much $$ & usually pick the cheapest things. Also we only drink the free bottle or water, or at most I will get one glass of coke.

Last time we did this, the price of two of our meals (burgers at Hogs Breath) was less than what most people got (prawns and steak) individually. Splitting the bill is all well and good when you all eat similar meals/cocktails etc & have the finances to do so, but for us going out is something we have to save for beforehand so we can't afford to cover extra costs of others meals.

My ex MIL used to pay the bill, then type up an excel spreadsheet as to who consumed what, and email it out with her bank acct details

#15 Holidayromp

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

I am happy to pay what we have eaten but certainly not happy about subsidising other people's food choices.  

There are always people in any group that are happy to take advantage of this and have no problem chomping through the most expensive dishes and drinking the more expensive wines but when it comes to paying up their share suddenly they don't seem to want to and are more than happy to let others subsidise their meal choices.

Bill splitting is a very unfair way of dining and the only way to ensure that it is fair on you is to firstly contact the restaurant to see if they allow part payments to be made of the bill if not make sure that you have plenty of change on you to ensure that only your meal gets paid for.  If you have to calculate then so be it, better than subsidising someone elses choices when you can barely afford to eat out yourself.

#16 Tigerdog

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

I'd actually take it right back the beginning and ask the restaurant when making the booking if they do separate billing and if not, I may not even go there to begin with (dependent on how good the food is compared to other places of course!).  Most may make it an across-the-board thing but if you perhaps made it known at booking time that you won't be giving them your business if they can't facilitate separate billing then they may make an exception for you.  I've never actually done this before, has anyone tried this and if so, does it actually work?  I know they're busy and all but money is money!

Edited by Tigerdog, 27 November 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#17 EBeditor

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

I think it's best to order from a place which does a set menu or banquet so that everyone can pay the same price + their drinks.

#18 EBeditor

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

My ex MIL used to pay the bill, then type up an excel spreadsheet as to who consumed what, and email it out with her bank acct details

Wow.

#19 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (Charlies Angel @ 27/11/2012, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Swings, roundabouts...

this.  With our group of friends, it's never really been an issue.  Everyone always seems to throw in a couple of extra dollars to make sure that we don't come up short (most round up to nearest $5.  Those who don't drink pay a little less, those who do drink pay a little more.  It all comes out in the wash.

This is what we have done as well. Easy peasy.

agree.  We pick restaurants/venues that will suit the people.

If I am organising the dinner, I'll pick a couple of options and then let people know know the rough cost of meals at each place (eg. entrees range $10-$18, mains range $15-$30, etc).  I'll also let people know if there is bill-splitting or not.  Most time, we just split the bill evenly anyway, but there have been one or two occasions where that didn't suit a couple for whatever reason. When that has happened, everyone kept track of their own costs and threw in a bit extra.  Wasn't a problem.  Easy enough to sort out what's going to happen before everyone arrives and eats.

We rarely go to licenced restaurants because it just makes the night that much more expensive, so we normally go to BYO places.  Plus, we have a couple of fussy wine drinkers and they prefer to bring their own anyway (too expensive to drink their selection at most restaurants).  

QUOTE (JustBeige @ 27/11/2012, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think though if you are upfront about it, its harder to complain and cause a fuss when the bill comes.

agree

QUOTE (broncosbabe @ 27/11/2012, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good grief!  rolleyes.gif

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 27 November 2012 - 02:06 PM.

#20 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

The sooner they bring in an automatic scanner which calculates your body composition before and after the meal and then just debits your account the better.

Seriously we mostly just split equally but round down any non-drinkers/vegetarians and round up the rest a bit.  Work groups we get a float of small notes and change beforehand, and everyone works out what they owe.  I usually wander off and let it be someone else's problem.  

#21 Wahwah

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

I always find this difficult. I have one girlfriend who used to have three courses, drink most of the wine, start with a cocktail and want to split the bill. Usually our other friend, who was both watching the money and calories, would have one glass of wine and a main. I'd probably sit in the middle. I'd be the one who would then say 'hang on a minute, X didn't have as much as us', even thought I wouldn't have had three courses either. Funny thing is friend 1 is earning about 3x more than friend 2.

Then there's the mother's groups nights out when some of us make the most of it, and others are less indulgent. I'm always one of the ones who eats and drinks more and I certainly don't think that others should then have to subsidise my meal.

If we go out with another couple I'd just split the bill. Unless we ordered Grange and they ordered De Bortoli.

So, I'm for paying for what you consume, but rounding up to the nearest 5 or 10 to ensure there's a sufficient tip.

#22 Libster

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

I like to just pay for what I ate/drank and my friends do the same. I don't drink alcohol so feel it's unfair that I have to subsidise others choices. If people think that's stingy then so be it.

#23 `Comic Sans`

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

Edited by *magenta*, 02 January 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#24 Z-girls rock

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

my friends and I are people who split evenly.

we would always find we have MORE money not less because there are those people who always put in extra for "the bread/wine/corkage' etc all the shared things and they usualy put in way to much.

I dont find it to be a drama.

and I am a vegetarian but I figure I am out to have a good time. Not niggle over a few dollars here and there (of course we are not talking about 5 hat restaurants here).

I DO agree though that if there are people in the group who people are tightening their belt (financially) for whatever reason and they want to order less and only pay for theirs etc then the group should follow their lead and not make a big deal about it.
For our friends it would be deviating from the norm but of course you can do that for friends because it is about having the night out.

#25 mum2345

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

I have a small amount of sympathy for the "split evenly" concept if there is little difference between what each person orders.

But if you have someone who orders a $10 to $15 meal and drinks the free tap water, it's not fair that they should have to split the bill with a table that eats $50 worth of food and several alcoholic drinks.  Especially if there is a significant disparity in income amongst the group.

And as a PP said, if there is an expectation that a bill will be split, then you have the silly situation where someone may decline an invitation because they can't afford the food and drink choices of the other people in the group.

Edited by mum2345, 27 November 2012 - 02:54 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.