Teaching 4.5 years old number, basic math. To make sense out of math.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TerryLee

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

I am looking for a way to teach my 4yo numbers and basic math.

She can count to 10 (and to 15 but with some mistakes) already
and can do simple a math (we use fingers and small objects to do adding and subtractions).

So I was looking for a teaching plan how to solidify the progress,
and move further on - as it feel what we are stuck where we are.

My idea is to follow some methodology which will allow my daugther to
*understand* the mechanics behind the math, the concepts of it - that is, my goal is the quality,
not quantity.

I am willing to spend more time, to allow for a proper understanding
(these "aha" moments when all makes sense)  instead of making her to memorize rules.

And I would like to do it at home and using the simplest tool available
(e.g. a adding table, etc)

Can you point me to the right direction - where to start?

Thank you very much.

#2 Ianthe

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

I always found using objects was the best way for kids to understand. And talking about things as you go about your everyday tasks.

I am not a huge one for formalised learning for such young kids though.

#3 melaine

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

There's no need to do more than you are doing.

Concentrate on one to one correspondence (http://stayathomeedu...correspondence/) up to ten, then extend to 15 and 20.

Counting, adding and subtracting with concrete materials such as rocks.

Early division and understanding of fractions and sharing can be taught through cooking, dishing out meals, sharing things between people. Discuss "what will we do with tihs leftover lolly?" etc.

Real experiences are much more important than formal maths lessons - even in prep that's how they do a lot of teaching.

#4 barrington

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

I believe they start with sorting and patterning in primary school before touching on addition/subtraction.

#5 baddmammajamma

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (Ianthe @ 27/11/2012, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always found using objects was the best way for kids to understand. And talking about things as you go about your everyday tasks.

I'm with Ianthe on this one.  Your daughter is 4.5. Unless she is begging for formal instruction -- because I recognize that there *are* some very young kids who do -- now is the perfect time to just let her learn through every day tasks.

At 4.5, my daughter was already pretty addicted to her computer. She had a lot of fun with ZooWhiz, which is a free program that presents and reinforces basic concepts in a playful way. If your daughter is also a computer kid, you might want to check out:

http://www.zoowhiz.com/

Edited by baddmammajamma, 27 November 2012 - 11:23 AM.

#6 Sail to the Moon

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

What is your daughter interested in?

I would focus on maths in a more informal way and incorporate it with her interests and everyday experiences (eg. cooking, shopping, etc).

Cooking:
- finding, counting & measuring ingredients...if she's interested, look at the recipe together too.

Shopping:
- ask your daughter to help count out how much money you will need when paying for something and get her to pay the cashier.

During play:
- Eg. "you can jump 12 more times on the trampoline, then you need to let X have a turn", then count aloud and see if she joins in.
- Children's boardgames and card games could be another way...eg. counting out cards, counting when moving on a board, etc.
- You could play games like "What's the time Mr Wolf?" and "hide & seek" (where the person finding needs to count before searching).
- Most importantly, make it fun original.gif .

#7 sophiasmum

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

I always leave that to school LOL!

Is she attending pre-school, if not sounds like she should.

Is she transitioning to kindergarten, if so you could ask the teacher.

#8 =R2=

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (Sail to the Moon @ 27/11/2012, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is your daughter interested in?

I would focus on maths in a more informal way and incorporate it with her interests and everyday experiences (eg. cooking, shopping, etc).

Cooking:
- finding, counting & measuring ingredients...if she's interested, look at the recipe together too.

Shopping:
- ask your daughter to help count out how much money you will need when paying for something and get her to pay the cashier.

During play:
- Eg. "you can jump 12 more times on the trampoline, then you need to let X have a turn", then count aloud and see if she joins in.
- Children's boardgames and card games could be another way...eg. counting out cards, counting when moving on a board, etc.
- You could play games like "What's the time Mr Wolf?" and "hide & seek" (where the person finding needs to count before searching).
- Most importantly, make it fun original.gif .

This.

Keep it real, keep it fun for her. Let your child lead you rather than being the pushy parent.

#9 Coffeegirl

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

I would also be careful how much addition , subtraction etc you are teaching before they start formal schooling.

I was surprised that DD and DS have both learned very different ways to do subtraction, yet they both went to the same school.

Learning at school level is always evolving and teaching your child too much before they start school could set them up with some frustration down the track.  IE  SHe learns to do it one way from you, but the school teaches a different way.   While you would hope that your DD's future teachers would be flexible enough to use the techniques that work with the child, sometimes they are inflexible with this.

I would just continue with what you are doing and use situations around you as your teaching tools - rather than anything formal.

#10 millie_11

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

I am not a teacher, but in my view at that age, if your child is keen, the important thing is basic numeracy rather than eg being able to do a particular sum. By that I mean that they understand eg 12 is a ten and 2 'ones', and that they can recognise that the number after 10 is 11 and the number before is 9 etc.
Understanding the importance the number 10 plays then makes (down the track) understanding bigger numbers super easy and the concepts of adding and subtracting easier as they have the fundamentals sorted.
I bought a 'base 10' set which has blocks of 1, 10, and 100 and I will 'play' with these with DS5 - although there is a teachers guide with the set with more formal activities. Bought it online somewhere from an Australian website. Sometimes I'll write a number down eg 25 and ask him to represent that via the blocks, or sometimes in reverse so I'll put 3 'tens' and 4 'ones' down and hopefully he'll tell me the number is 34!
He enjoys doing the little challenges (but he is a bit of a nerdy kid  original.gif ) and I think it will help him when he starts school as he will understand that numbers are pretty logical really!

#11 Expelliarmus

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

I would teach counting on, skip counting and subitising next.

Counting on: being able to count from any point and not go back to 1 to count. eg start with 5 and then go 6, 7,8 etc

Skip counting: 2, 4, 6, 8/5, 10, 15/ 10, 20, 30

Subitising: instantly recognising the number of objects in a small group, without counting.

#12 jm3

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (baddmammajamma @ 27/11/2012, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless she is begging for formal instruction -- because I recognize that there *are* some very young kids who dohttp://www.zoowhiz.com/

My nearly 4.5 year old daughter is exactly this child.  I just go with it, if she wants to read or write or 'do maths' then I help to facilitate this.  We play what she calls "the question game" in the car all the time.  I ask her random questions and she answers and then demands the next question LOL  eg. How many sides does a triangle have?  How many sides does two squares have?  What's 7+7?  I can barely keep up!!

#13 Kalota

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (Ianthe @ 27/11/2012, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with this, concrete materials are the best way to teach young children Maths without losing their understanding of the concept or the risk of just rote learning/memorising (I am a Prep teacher!)

However having said that, I don't think I would formally go out of my way to "teach" Maths to a child of that age at home, I would probably just use everyday Maths to build their concept of number (e.g. Counting objects around the home, sharing toys equally between siblings/family members, talking a about money when going to the shops, reading numbers that you see around the community (e.g. Letter boxes, number plates...)

#14 TerryLee

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (Kalota @ 02/12/2012, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with this, concrete materials are the best way to teach young children Maths without losing their understanding of the concept or the risk of just rote learning/memorising (I am a Prep teacher!)

However having said that, I don't think I would formally go out of my way to "teach" Maths to a child of that age at home, I would probably just use everyday Maths to build their concept of number (e.g. Counting objects around the home, sharing toys equally between siblings/family members, talking a about money when going to the shops, reading numbers that you see around the community (e.g. Letter boxes, number plates...)

Thank you Kalota, my daughter can already do some of the things on your 'concept of number' list (counting objects, reading numbers of letter boxes, etc), but why
not go more formal? I suppose the difference between what you do and a formal approach is to have a (1) teaching plan, (2) to be able to measure the progress. As this is my definition of a "formal" teaching, yours might be different, I am very interested to understand your point of view as it seems to be shared by many.

Cheers.

#15 mama123

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:06 PM

I have purchased a math-u-see curriculum for my eldest. He will be 5 in March.

We are going to homeschool though. I would be very reluctant to go this route if I was sending him to school. I would worry that he would become too bored at school. It might serve some purpose for those struggling at school and need an extra helping hand.

There is an Australian website for math-u-see, you may or may not be interested.

MTA is a good website to use. They have blocks and lesson books for you to create your own lessons/activities.

#16 Kalota

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (TerryLee @ 05/12/2012, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you Kalota, my daughter can already do some of the things on your 'concept of number' list (counting objects, reading numbers of letter boxes, etc), but why
not go more formal? I suppose the difference between what you do and a formal approach is to have a (1) teaching plan, (2) to be able to measure the progress. As this is my definition of a "formal" teaching, yours might be different, I am very interested to understand your point of view as it seems to be shared by many.

Cheers.

I think we have a different view of what "formal" teaching may be, when i teach using these everyday experiences i still have a plan and can measure the process original.gif i think the reason why I would hesitate to teach "formal" maths (as i define it) lessons at home is because as a Prep teacher I see many parents attempting to extend their children in Maths at home, but it the end it is all rote learned information rather than understanding concepts and applying skills (e.g. children who can skip count by 2s but dont understand that they are adding 2 each time and how this can help them with addition/subraction/multiplication problems, or childrens who cant choose appropriate mental computation strategies but can add and subtract by doing vertical equations). This is not to say that it can't be done, but my personal opinion is that the best way to teach is through real-life, relatable experiences that are meaningful, rather than "formal" isolated instruction of random lessons!

#17 MissingInAction

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

What you're doing is great original.gif  
A lot of parents don't do ANYTHING with their kids like this and it makes it so much easier for the kid to make sense of it at school if they already have some experiences of the languages of numeracy in a real context at home like when they're cooking, for example.  Keep it up original.gif  

If you want to go one step further, though,this is what the guidelines (that Kindergarten Teachers use in QLD) suggest teachers do to promote numeracy.  http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/downloads/p_10/qklg.pdf  << go to page 62 of the document

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Video: 10-week-old baby sounds like she says 'I love you'

It’s mixed in amongst garbled baby talk, but this 10-week-old's apparent attempt at telling her parents that she loves them has made her an internet star.

I only enjoyed pregnancy after booking my caesarean

To say I became obsessed is something of an understatement. Everywhere I went I found cause to be reminded of my impending pain.

When your bundle doesn't bring immediate joy

One mum says joy is very a personal feeling and expecting all new mums to feel it in the months after their baby born may do more harm than good.

Lessons learned from my toddler

Blogger Kiran Chug explains why she is going to let her toddler make more decisions for himself.

Family welcomes first baby girl in more than 100 years

The Silverton family has heard the phrase "it's a girl" for the first time in four generations.

When a community of kindness steps in

In future when someone I care for, or even someone I barely know, is experiencing a difficult time, I will not overthink it. I'll follow my heart.

Mum in Business: Jac Bowie

Jac Bowie is the founder of Business in Heels, one of the fastest growing women’s networking events in Australia. She shares her story, including how she juggles work with a young family, and ways to work smarter.

What not to say to a mum of twins

Being a mum of identical twin boys stirs up great interest and fascination. It also opens itself up to nosy, invasive questions, as well as huge assumptions.

The mums suing over unplanned babies

A mother-of-five who calls her two youngest sons "miracle babies" is just one of many mums seeking financial compensation for their children's unplanned conceptions.

Video: Dad sings 'Hallelujah' to his daughter every year

It's a gorgeous song to begin with, but this dad's version of Hallelujah, sung for his young daughter, is especially touching.

Constipation in babies when starting solids

While starting solids can be frustrating and messy (yet also fun!), introducing solids can also play havoc on tiny digestive systems.

Parents reunited with baby snatched from hospital

A mother whose newborn baby was snatched from hospital has spoken of her joy and relief at getting her daughter back.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies - bump selfies - really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind"?

Life on the other side of the fence: Why I'm child-free and quite content

Acknowledging that motherhood isn't a bed of roses – to begrudge lack of time, sleep, money and spontaneity – is sacrilegious and a no-no, especially by mother superior-types.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind", as one writer has claimed?

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.